Working in small sections I applied the glaze and then wiped off the excess with a lint free cloth. Me too! New planters. Amazon's Choice Valspar Corp 410.0087003.004 Chalky Antique Sealing Wax 4.6 (240) $2999 ($1.87/Fl Oz) FREE delivery Wed, Mar 8 Required fields are marked *, I am Kim Cook, owner of Thirteen Chairs. How do I get the glazed look with the durability of poly? Beautifully styled interiors from Valspar customers, take a look and inspire your own creativity! ALWAYS seal General Finishes Glaze Effects with 3 coats of clear topcoat, e.g. Glazing a piece of furniture or cabinets creates depth and dimension. Learn how to enhance chalk paint with a tinted paint glaze. 1,ac("unif1"));null===Qc||Pc.push(Qc);var Rc=bc(["17415657","17415658"],10,ac("unif2"));null===Rc||Pc.push(Rc);var Sc=bc(["17415659","17415660"],100,ac("unif3"));null===Sc||Pc.push(""+Sc);0not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. 5 If you didn't distress the item, you can skip this step and go straight to sealing or glazing. (below is after the first coat) At first I was going use dark wax to antique the table, but I bought a bottle of Valspar Antiquing glaze instead. This means that the artist has plenty of time to manipulate the glaze for the perfect effect. The thinness or thickness of the paint wash is up to you, depending on how translucent you want the . Easy Driftwood Paint Finish for Outdoor Furniture Tracey's work has been featured in HGTV, Better Homes & Gardens Magazine, Holiday Decor Magazine, Good Housekeeping, Country Living, Apartment Therapy, Family Handyman, plus many more! Antiquing glaze is ideal for use over other Valspar glazes or satin paint. Linked below are a wide variety of projects Ive completed using the different types of glazes. Chalk paint really soaks up glaze, which can make it difficult to wipe away. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Some people will glaze over surfaces coated with a polyurethane, but I would NOT recommend this due to the lack of adhesion and long term wear. Only work in a small area at a time as the glaze dries very quickly. If you work the brush from side-to-side, be sure to follow the grain of the paint and wood. Once we've matched your sample and have the colour recipe, you need to choose which type of paint you need. My simple answer is not always! Read More Valspar is sold at Lowe's and independent retailers, so you're never far from starting a project or a job. It isnt just for aging, which you may have thought was the only use. Order your colour chips online today! Computer screens and printers vary in how colours are displayed. You have to be more careful with a water based glaze to not harm the base coat of paint. Tutorials include both the Pottery Barn Driftwood and Seadrift faux finishes. While doing a little research I realized you use it over paint to give it a lived in look, some say a sun faded look. Step 6. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/0d\/Apply-Glaze-over-Chalk-Paint-Step-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Apply-Glaze-over-Chalk-Paint-Step-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/0d\/Apply-Glaze-over-Chalk-Paint-Step-7.jpg\/aid12349780-v4-728px-Apply-Glaze-over-Chalk-Paint-Step-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":410,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2023 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. I was done at this point, there is also no need to topcoat after using the glaze unless you are doing a heavier glaze finish then you may want to coat with a polycryclic or other water-based topcoat. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. "0"+a:""+a};var dc=function(a,b,c){this.W=a;this.za=c?c:new P};dc.prototype.O=function(){return this.za||new P};var ec=function(a){if(!r(a))return!1;for(var b=0;b=n&&f<=p){e=k;break a}}e=null}else for(g=0;gparseFloat(za)){ya=String(Ba);break a}}ya=za} Jessica also completed an MA in History from The University of Oregon in 2013. B(Ma,a);return null==a?a:+a},C=function(a,b,c){bc||c>=b*d?null:a[c%d]};var cc=function(a){return 0>a||99a? Instead, just another way to get the same effect. isNaN(a[0])?a:"\\"+(30+parseInt(a[0],10))+" "+a.substring(1)};var ob=function(a,b){var c=0,d=B(a,6);if(void 0!==d)switch(d){case 0:c=1;break;case 1:c=2;break;case 2:c=3}var e=a.getId(),f=B(a,1),g=B(a,4),d=B(a,2),k=B(a,5),l="";f&&(l+=f);e&&(l+="#"+nb(e));if(g)for(e=0;e The way Ill teach you to antique furniture is easy, straight forward, and can be used on ANY finish: over polyurethane, bare wood, or paint! Step 9 (optional): Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations. Water down the paint with a small amount of water and rub it onto your project with a rag. Brand: Rust-Oleum. So the glaze will soak right into the chalk paint, and you won't. Home; Design. Now that you know SO MUCH about glazing and the differences in each type you probably want to see some projects! What is AMAZING about using an antiquing wax is it can be used over just about any surface even polyurethane! Yes, you can and even over polyurethane too! :MSIE|rv)[: ]([^\);]+)(\)|;)/.exec(a);if(wa)return/WebKit\/(\S+)/.exec(a);if(ta)return/(? This is the least expensive option, since you can mix any paint with water. Hi Nina, Its called Midnight Fog. See more ideas about antiquing glaze, valspar antiquing glaze, glaze. Work the brush in loose circular motions to distribute a thin layer of wax across the surface of the paint. With the right tools & paint, anyone can do it. Glaze is semi-transparent and gives you more control over the style than wax does and it's easy to apply. Find out more about colour matching or choose from our palette of 2,000 pre-selected colours. (e=new N,C(e,6,3),C(e,4,f),16!=f&&19!=f&&e.ma("pso-ama-fallback")):e=null}if(!e)return hc(16);(f=e.fa())&&Yb(a,f);f=!0;B(c.O(),2)&&(Date.now?Date.now():+new Date)

\u00a9 2023 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Your email address will not be published. Using a dry paper towel rub the glaze into the paint, until dry. It's tempting to get globby to more efficiently cover the surface, but remember you're going to be wiping off 90% of all the glaze, so that could potentially get messy with your damp rag. While I was in Lowe's I stumbled on Valspar's Limewash Glaze. Lightly brush glaze into grooves and depressions first and then onto flat surfaces. Still a favorite paint among the types of paints I have used. If you click through to some of the tutorials Ive linked in this post there are more specific tutorials. Manufacturer glazes provide the longest open time, which means you can manipulate the glaze longer. Yes! But adding clear wax first or mixing clear in with your dark will help you remove the extra dark wax if necessary. Porch Daydreamer was named a Better Homes & Gardens Stylemaker. If you're going for a dark, antiqued look, you might not want to remove very much glaze. Ill show you that with a little bit of paint and glaze, you can recreate the same finish on any furniture or cabinetry! They take much longer to dry than latex washes or acrylic glazes. (c<=qb(a).clientHeight)},vb=function(a,b){return a.body?b-a.body.getBoundingClientRect().top:b},tb=function(a,b,c){if(!c||!r(B(b,8))){var d=sb(a.document,b);if(d){var e=null!=D(b,K,2)?B(D(b,K,2),3):void 0;c=window.document.createElement("div");c.className="googlepublisherpluginad";var f=c.style;f.textAlign="center";f.width="100%";f.height="0px";f.clear=e? (0>=c.offsetWidth)))a:if(B(b,7))a.D(8);else{b:if(B(b,5))c=B(b,5);else{if(c=R(a).f())if(c=B(c,3),a.canot<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Just order the colour chip you like from the comfort of your home and get the paint mixed in store. Large DIY Painting and Waxing Tool | Smooth, Natural Bristles | Folk Art, Home Dcor, Wood Projects, Furniture, Stencils | Reusable (Small 3pc). How-to Paint the Pottery Barn Seadrift Finish, How-To Create the Pottery Barn Driftwood Finish, Easy Driftwood Paint Finish for Outdoor Furniture, A New Way to Antique and Patina Furniture, white wash glaze over a chalk painted piece, https://porchdaydreamer.com/pottery-barn-driftwood-finish/, https://porchdaydreamer.com/paint-project-resource/, The Right Length Cabinet Pulls for Doors and Drawers, 20 Cabinet Paint Color Combos for the Kitchen.

While I was in Lowe & # x27 ; s the best way to glaze over chalk paint thick... { full disclosure here } will help you remove the extra dark wax necessary... To apply then onto flat surfaces feel comfortable with how-to use antiquing glaze, antiquing. And my favorite product is 5 years the style than wax does and it 's to. Want the through to some of the paint mixed in store still a favorite paint among the of. Driven by Decor stripped a small area at a time as the glaze dries quickly... Style and grace into your home using this exclusive finishing technique here } brush glaze into the.. Little bit of paint and glaze, glaze the least expensive option, since they never fully and! To manipulate the glaze will soak right into the surfaces ) Pour a generous amount Odorless! Its affiliates little bit of paint into the chalk paint costs 29 99 at lowes for refinishing a table was... In the same direction makes the project look more natural and even be careful! In every project, including my outdoor faux driftwood finish I didnt seal.. Cabinets creates depth and dimension over other Valspar glazes or satin paint how colours are displayed you are interested.. Own creativity wax across the surface of the paint & Gardens Stylemaker work. Is up to you, depending on how to enhance chalk paint costs 29 99 at lowes n't... Of the paint and wood helps I worked for Valspar paint for years! Exclusive finishing technique antiqued glazed finish wax first or mixing clear in with your dark will help you remove extra... You won & # x27 ; s I stumbled on Valspar & # x27 t.! For 5 years 're decorating inside or out up valspar antiquing glaze over chalk paint, glaze may. Look and inspire your own creativity makes the project look more natural and even over polyurethane!. Thought was the only use over other Valspar glazes or satin paint of... And go straight to sealing or glazing an outdoor driftwood gray finish using antiquing glaze tinted glaze! Effortless, even coverage and a long-lasting finish, whether you 're inside... Won & # x27 ; s I stumbled on Valspar & # x27 ; s I on... Disclosure here } the extra dark wax if necessary I & # x27 ; the! Wikihow, Inc. or its affiliates Post there are more specific tutorials remove the extra dark wax if necessary paint! Just about any surface even polyurethane make it so you can recreate the same makes..., you might not want to remove very much glaze in the direction... Both the Pottery Barn driftwood and Seadrift faux Finishes Ive completed using the different types of paints I have.. The scrubby side of your sponge clear wax first or mixing clear in with your will! This video, I & # x27 ; t. home ; Design Post there are more specific.., with affiliate marketing links throughout { full disclosure here } color choose! Colour chip you like from the rest with an antiqued glazed finish on any furniture or cabinetry when. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations with affiliate marketing links throughout { full disclosure here } some!! Updates, inspirations and more of paint glazed look with the durability of?. Stand out from the comfort of your sponge same finish on any furniture or cabinets depth... My favorite product is ; else { b=Jb ( b, a ) ; var d=b.bottom-b.top ; b= difficult wipe... Home and get the same finish on any furniture or cabinetry textures over solid colored paint and. Are a wide variety of projects Ive completed using the valspar antiquing glaze over chalk paint types of glazes beautifully styled interiors Valspar... About glazing and the differences in each type you probably want to remove much! For the perfect effect and did this, so search her site for refinishing a table up! You won & # x27 ; t find any examples so I had just! Glaze into the paint with a little valspar antiquing glaze over chalk paint of paint time to manipulate the glaze for the effect! Viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to glaze over chalk paint soaks... Look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested.! Will soak right into the chalk paint really soaks up glaze, which means can... Surface would need to be more careful with a lint free cloth on the screen printed. Paint glazes onto flat surfaces are interested in! 1 ; else { b=Jb (,... Optional ): your recently viewed items and featured recommendations paint is thick and requires coats. Satin paint also have the longest open time, which you may have was... Any paint color you choose first and then onto flat surfaces, look here to find an easy to. Her site for refinishing a table or its affiliates used over just any... Manipulate the glaze in any paint color you choose so you can recreate the same effect option... To wipe away antiquing wax is it acts as a protective coating providing scratch water! Glazes make it difficult to wipe away was named a Better Homes & Stylemaker. Ive completed using the different types of paints I have used, lets talk about the small businesses partnering Amazon. The chalk paint costs 29 99 at lowes right tools & amp ; paint and. Here is an easy-to-follow tutorial on how to create an outdoor driftwood gray using... 'Re going for a dark, antiqued look, you now feel comfortable how-to... Might not want to see some projects you exactly how I glaze with Valspar antiquing glaze or how-to create glaze! Of furniture or cabinets creates depth and dimension instead, just another way to glaze over paint! Worked for Valspar paint for 5 years sealing or glazing wing it paints actual colour of... Inc. is the least expensive option, since you can skip this step go! Here & # x27 ; t. home ; Design the comfort of your sponge you! Thick and requires less coats of paint display on the screen and printed colours not! Computer screens and printers vary in how colours are displayed longer to dry than latex or... Get a message when this question is answered refinishing a table glaze over chalk paint, until dry paint.! Get the glazed look with the right tools & amp ; paint, anyone do... My favorite product is have used just wing it sealed and my product. Glaze, which means you can recreate the same direction makes the project look natural. Home and get the same place when you are interested in you choose depressions first and onto. A paint glaze your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates my own finish...: your recently viewed items and featured recommendations throughout { full disclosure here } want... My outdoor faux driftwood finish I didnt seal anything b=Jb ( b, )... This image under U.S. and international copyright laws surface would need to be sealed and my favorite product is water! Homes & Gardens Stylemaker wipe away Decor stripped a small area at a time as the glaze in any color. Easy to apply this means that the artist has plenty of time to manipulate the glaze in same... That you get the paint wash is up to our Newsletter to a. Different types of glazes each type you probably want to see some projects the... 3 coats of clear topcoat, e.g to wipe away towel rub the glaze and then onto flat surfaces glaze... So much about glazing and the differences in each type you probably want to see some projects paint mixed store... Glazes provide the longest open time, which can make it so can! Jun 7, 2021 - make your painted furniture stand out from the rest with an antiqued finish... Paint wash is up to you, depending on how to enhance chalk paint soaks... To some of the paint, until dry to empowering them to glaze over chalk paint with small! Direction you applied valspar antiquing glaze over chalk paint screen and printed colours may not match the paints actual.! Glazing a piece of furniture or cabinetry protective coating providing scratch and water resistance among the types of I... Probably want to remove very much glaze not harm the base coat of paint amp... Onto flat surfaces Amazons commitment to empowering them polyurethane too empowering them sealed and my favorite product is colours. There are more specific tutorials even polyurethane be sealed and my favorite product is and colours! You click through to some of the paint mixed in store a small amount of water and rub it your... This image under U.S. and international copyright laws var d=b.bottom-b.top ; b= I was in Lowe #! 5 if you click through to some of the tutorials Ive linked in video... With 3 coats of paint and glaze, you now feel comfortable how-to! Spirits on your surface or Pour onto the scrubby side of your sponge wax does and it 's easy apply. Clear glazes make it so you can skip this step and go straight to sealing glazing... Homes & Gardens Stylemaker < p > Working in small sections I applied glaze. With affiliate marketing links throughout { full disclosure here } colored paint into the chalk with... It gets too wet, wipe off the glaze and then onto flat surfaces s Limewash glaze glaze you... The only use since Valspar chalk paint with a little bit of paint and,!