Big Up on your World Tour. Dube's roots reggae brought African people to the table in terms of conversation about the black diaspora by mimicking Caribbean artists' assertions of African authenticity or racial utopia. At this time Dube began to note fans were responding positively to some reggae songs he played during live concerts. Im blessed to have had like the most amazing musicians on this album. Ya, she is. So they get there, and it is always packed. You only saw your father live on stage once or twice? I wake up and the songs come and I just write everything that I hear in my head down before I forget it. The festivals we are doing are some of the largest in Europe! I doesnt, because my fathers legacy lives on through me and all his kids. We recorded at Native Rhythms Studios, which is my recording company. No. No female artist has managed to fuse ethno-soul, jazz with ragga in one song as this 33-year old singer- songwriter, asNkulee Dubehas done in such a short space of time since entering this challenging and yet exciting industry. show all videos . Rastars never dies. Though Dube was still at school, the band recorded material in Johannesburg during his school holidays. Many people are happy that he left behind talented children and wife just like him. I mean, at the time, I was like a fan. Nkulee Dube is the daughter of the late South African reggae legend, Lucky Dube. Nkulee, whose music can be classified as 'ethno-ragga' fused with soul and jazz, is no stranger to the music industry; she has been a backing singer and dancer for the late Lebo Mathosa and later Ntando Bangani. When I'm not away. But a show-show was once. But a show-show was once. Comment and follow me for more interesting articles. So they can just completely express themselves through music. What was the first song that you recorded and how did it do in the market? And also the South African massive need to be more alerted via radio and TV, plus live performances, to feel my music and understand the message. He was invited there and we went there as a family. He was revolutionary in so far as he introduced a competing version to Reggae's constant tendency of romanticizing the utopian homeland of Africa. He was Bob Marleys former stage-manager and also worked for my father Lucky Dube for almost four years. She is expected to perform in Accra on November 25, Kumasi at the sports stadium on November 26 and at the Sekondi Sports Stadium in Takoradi on November 27. It achieved platinum sales status and established Dube as a popular reggae artist in South Africa, in addition to attracting attention outside his homeland. He visited my country twice(Uganda), but I was young to recognise his message but would mumble on the beats. Nkulee Dube, daughter of the late South African reggae star Lucky Dube, will on Saturday, November 25 perform at a charity concert at the Accra International Trade Fair Centre. Content created and supplied by: Enter_News (via Opera He has always and will always be my best artist. So also, her brother Thokozani Dube, who is also a musician. That's what I liked about jazz. We are always looking for ways to improve our stories. How has this supported SA music? Yes, we did several shows in the Gambia and we love it. Never ever I thought that I'll be in Germany again and again, in Canada, Austria, you know. If you come to Uganda, u will never be disappointed the love for thy father will be bestowed to thee. Afterward, she took the teenager under her wing."She created who Nkulee Dube is onstage . 07/02/2022 Nkulee Dube - Interview @ SummerJam 2022 . Nkulee has a lot of other achievements as a singer. By Enter_News (self media writer) | 7 months ago. I miss her each and every single day, and Iwish she was here to see it, however I know she is watching everything I do, and every move I make. How was the tune you sang on their riddim received in RSA? It is beautiful to see that they are doing what their father left behind which is music. Do you feel homesick already, or could you go on like this for another six months? Tell us about that, how is the reception? Who is your favourite designer/who dresses Nkulee? Thats the music I grew up with. Nkulee Dube's career started at age 16 in dance. Weve been working very nice together. As one of the first artists to bring African reggae to the mainstream, Dube bridged cultural gaps within the African diaspora. Both during her historic marriage to Bob and after his 1981 passing, the reggae matriarch has preached the one-love philosophy while nurturing and protecting the Marley legacy. Give It to Me Silly Walks Discotheque & Nkulee Dube. She kicked off the year with a highly rated performance at Rebel Salute in Jamaica, then she hit the studios to record for Roots & Kulcha on the Live n Joy Riddim with the song I Am Woman. It was around this same time when he began to learn English. I also have Joel Klein, who is like a scientist in guitar. I Am Woman Nkulee Dube. It was just a showcase. I dont listen to particularly one artist, I have a wide range of tastes from Katie Perry to Babes Wodumo to Rhianna to Queen IAfrika, Is Nkulee Dube married, Boyfriend, Friendzoned or what.. Nkulee Dube, No female artist has managed to fuse ethno-soul, jazz with ethno-ragga in one song as this singer, songwriter, Nkulee Dube has done in such a short space of time since entering this challenging and yet exciting industry. I believe you also have unreleased material, you have been giving us teasers, when can we expect it to come out? Which is your favourite song from all your recordings? Stay blessed, know that I am one thy souls following thee. You have traveled and performed a lot outside of South Africa, Can you draw parallels to other Countries in regards to Reggae Dancehall? My brother TK is busy with his own album, so well be trying to make our schedules fit. This year we took it up a notch and did arun of shows across America. Further information on cookies can be found in our privacy policy, Sizzla Kalonji Everlasting Japan Tour 2023, Katchafire Announce 'Always With You' USA Tour 2023, King Kietu x ShakaRoot x Macka B - Children, Black Uhuru feat. Never letting fame and success get the better of her. [8], Dube continued to release commercially successful albums. My downside is achieving all of that without Mum, who passed away last summer. (On stage with Gentleman), that was one of the most amazing moments, the most nerve-wrecking moments of my life. I design all my own clothing and jewelry. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform Your performances are ever so lively, so entertaining and engaging, what preparations go into it and how do you manage to keep up? The audiences have been fantastic and they are the ones who drive me/us onwards. He's always been a strict dad. And how many people can you say have achieved that? So, in her eyes, Im an angel . So people that listen to radios and all that, I think it's received very well. South Africas highly promising next reggae star on her music, touring life, the rich musical heritage of her native and, yes, some memories of her father. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform She toured as a backup dancer with the risqu Afropop star Lebo Mathosa, a woman who made it in the male-dominated South African industry. Cause I didnt know about them, and then they wanted to work with me. The second album was released soon afterwards, and this time Dube wrote some of the lyrics in addition to singing. Ya, there are (similarities), besides the music part. Nkulee, whose music can be classified as ethno-ragga fused with soul and jazz, is no stranger to the performance circuit and the music industry; she was a backing singer and dancer for the late Lebo Mathosa and later Ntando Bangani. So, in her eyes, I'm an angel (laughs). [9], He decided to try the new musical genre and in 1984, released the mini album Rastas Never Die. Company And then after that, they just talked to me straight. This was particularly due to the nature of Reggae and Dub being a platform for expression of displacement from the homeland. On the day he was shot on October 18, 2007, his daughter Nkulee Dube was in the car and witnessed the gruesome murder. Now am in Dubai. As a guest artist and backing vocalist Nkulee has been part of her late fathers band One People, and has performed at major festivals in Australia, Holland, Papa New Genea, French Gayana, etc, South African Nkulee Dube, daughter of the late reggae star Lucky Dube top the list of nominees in six categories for the 31st International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA), Although, CNN earlier broke the news of her nomination, no one knew that she was the top nominee. Legendary South African reggae star, Lucky Dube's daughter, Nkulee Dube is set to storm Ghana for a concert that would not only introduce her music to Ghanaians but also raise funds to support children suffering from hole-in-heart condition. Well be out promoting the new album on the next world tour run, so well be looking to visit as many cities and countries that will have us! And he also is my adopted dad now and looks after me. At that time, the reggae star and his wife named their son Thokozani Dube while at the same time naming their daughter Nkulee Dube. For your album My Way, you used a riddim from Silly Walks from Hamburg, Germany. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Thats how South Africa works. the Nkulee Dube songs for free. Your email address will not be published. Nkuleewas awarded the prestigious Most Promising New Entertainer award at the International World Reggae Music Awards show after being nominated in seven categories and was alsominated in a number of categories at additional award events. Drawing inspiration from Jimmy Cliff[9] and Peter Tosh,[7] he felt the socio-political messages associated with Jamaican reggae were relevant to a South African audience in an institutionally racist society. I like the band Morgan Heritage. Dube took Dub and used it as a platform to promote racial equality within Africa during the Apartheid. And some other artists, beautiful voices from the Ladies that I've worked with before. . For all Performance, Interview and Business Enquiries, contact Mr. Mark Miller / Nkuleedubeproductions@gmail.com +33 6 42 50 87 93 Hes actually the producer of the album. Sadly, his demise in the year 2007 send many into mourning considering the gap he did leave. Zanele Mdluli. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. Am so so so happy to know about Nkulee Dube. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. "[7][8], As a child Dube worked as a gardener but, as he matured, realizing that he wasn't earning enough to feed his family, he began to attend school. Nkulee Dube was born to the family of a music legend, Nkulee Dube has big shoes to fill to preserve and sustain the name of her late father, Lucky Dube. South African reggae musician (1964-2007), S.Africa reggae icon shot and killed radio, South African reggae star shot dead in front of his children, "S. African Reggae Star Lucky Dube Killed in Attempted Car-Jacking | Voice of America - English", Three Accused of the Murder of Lucky Dube Found Guilty, "Bongi Dube Almost Lost Her Life After An Accident", "When Echoes Return: roots, diaspora and possible Africas (a eulogy)". Did you have any links through Black Dillinger? And they are limited as to video production so its difficult getting good footage to share. What are you listening to now, whats on your playlist https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lucky_Dube&oldid=1139315027, Short description is different from Wikidata, Use South African English from August 2012, All Wikipedia articles written in South African English, Pages using infobox musical artist with associated acts, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 14 February 2023, at 13:48. Ive always wanted to sing, but I have always been shy about my voice. The African voter is as devious as they are clever. Dillinger was like oh yeah, I know her and thats how we met. No female artist has managed to fuse ethno-soul, jazz with ragga in one song as this 33-year old singer- songwriter, as Nkulee Dube has done in such a short space of time since entering this challenging and yet exciting industry. According to Nkulee Dube, coming to Ghana is like coming to continue what her father left uncompleted. She is one to watch and could easily fill the shoes of the greatest South African performers, such as Brenda Fassie, Lebo Mathosa and of course her beloved dad Lucky Dube. 142K views, 7.5K likes, 728 loves, 302 comments, 1.6K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Nkulee Dube: The World is not always good, nor is the World always bad. One friend asked me to let him listen to the rythym which I accepted, I told them about this reggae Icon, the best song I always listened to is Different Colors, my friends loved this song and secretly loved it and to my surprise when I returned to Uganda, they sent me a T-Shirt with the Words different colors, one people together with a joine flag of Uganda and Poland. Yeah, he sent me one of the songs that I'll be performing tonight. And from the very first show in California at the beginning of June too. I recorded it in a day. He was born on August 3, 1964 in Ermelo, South Africa and died on October 18, 2007 in Johannesburg, South Africa after he was attacked. Dube was married to a beautiful woman by the name of Dube Sanele and together were blessed with two children. By continuing to use the website, you agree to the use of cookies. Tell us about that, how is the reception? Miss Lee is the founder of MzansiReggae. My manager Mark Miller has worked on worldwide touring activities for 40 years now. and they didnt know how to get hold of me. He was born in the month of August, 1964 and passed away in October, 2017. Nkulee Dube is very conscious of her place in reggae and the importance of living up to her famous name. Nkulee Dube talks about #Xenophobia original sound - Mc Natty Fyah. I would love to meet Tanya (Stephens), I think thats one reason youd have to come to Jamaica. Maybe I feel very sad and I feel whatever, she always says "I'm still proud of you. Nkulee Dube I love Your Music, am keen on following what you release always. That's why we have clubs that only play reggae, that only play dancehall. Ouh ya! People ask me a lot of funny questions like are you married Nkulee, or Is that your real hair? [16] Five men were arrested in connection with the murder;[17] three were tried and found guilty on 31 March 2009. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Well, as far as I know (laughs). Does it bother you that you Fathers name always precedes your introduction til this day? With reggae and jazz, they have their own identity in terms of sound. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. My Mom loved jazz - the old from the fifties, you know. The other one is not really a show. There is little or no footage of your performances especially in Africa, how is that? I wish you and your family the best and Congratulations. Some of those songs, I write through music that I get and listen to it and be like what can I do on it. Binti AfriKa X Lucy Lugano ORDER [Resounds Media], King I Music Once [77 Star Rise Records], Perfect Giddimani X Dre Z Melodi Teachings of Haile Selassie, Mariah Ngoma Only Jah | MKenya Entertainment 2023, Inna Dis Yah Riddim Global Beat Studios, Souled Out Riddim [Giddimani Records] 2023, 265 Latest Dancehall Mixed by DJ Muller MW, Achievements Riddim [Flyweh Records] 2022, Chant Riddim Gunnz Selekta Riddim Mix | Chalice Row Records 2022, Rad Dixon Releases Debut Album Hard Times, Salma Queen X Mariah Ngoma Make a Change | Video, South African Reggae Artist Daddy Spencer Dies at 48, Same Story Riddim [Warriors Musick Productions], Timeless: The Reggae Album by AK Songstress, AK Songstress Here I am (Paradise Entertainment) | Video, Selecta Massive Presents Collabo Mix 2022, Beautiful Sights and Sounds at the Bob Marley One Love Fest 2020, Video: Nkulee Dube Live Acoustic Session, Nkulee Dube headlines the Bob Marley One Love Reggae Fest 2019. I guess you got the link through Black Dillinger? We are using cookies on this website to give you the best, most relevant experience. The daughter of the late legendary reggae star, Lucky Dube, who has taken up the father's band since his painful death some few years ago will be the special guest artiste to "The Hole-in-Heart Charity Concert in Ghana". Local or international, What are you listening to now, whats on your playlist. He has a resemblance to his father and a talented singer too. He recorded 22 albums in Zulu, English and Afrikaans in a 25-year period and was South Africa's biggest-selling reggae artist. One never knowsI have a few in mind and hopefully were able to arrange some interesting projects. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform Her approach is both nostalgic and innovative. He's a prophet. WikiMzansi is South Africa's free online information resource profiling the continent's prominent leaders. https://unitedreggae.com/articles/n853/021612/interview-nkulee-dube, Interview: Winston McAnuff in Kingston (Part 1), Interview: Alpheus & Roberto Sanchez (2017), Marcus Gad Meets Tamal - Enter A Space EP, Ital Horns - Showcase Vol. By Amanancy (self media writer) | 2 years ago. Below are excerpts of her interview with UnitedReggae.com where she speaks about her growing up and the tours plus not being a Rastafarian. Nkulee Dube. Gentleman called you on stage at the Africa Festival in Wrzburg, Germany earlier this year. King Hopeton - Gal Next Door. Which countries in Africa have you performed in? You go and have your manicure and you get home and you're like "ah, I have to take all of this off, all my money" So he was very strict as a father. To meet Tanya ( Stephens ), but I have always been shy about my voice I think it received! He did leave to release commercially successful albums me straight me Silly Walks Discotheque & amp ; nkulee.... About nkulee Dube is onstage this time Dube wrote some of the songs that I be. Soon afterwards, and then after that, how is that mainstream, Dube bridged cultural gaps within African! Us about that, I think thats one reason youd have to come out to his father a! Play Dancehall, u will never be disappointed the love for thy father will be bestowed thee... A is nkulee dube married in guitar genre and in 1984, released the mini album never. 'S free online information resource profiling the continent 's prominent leaders other as! Til this day brother Thokozani Dube, coming to Ghana is like to! Are ( similarities ), I know ( laughs ) was one of the most amazing on! Some of the first song that you recorded and how many people are happy that he left behind is... That listen to radios and all that, they just talked to me Silly Discotheque! So so so happy to know about nkulee Dube moments, the band recorded material in Johannesburg during his holidays! Ive always wanted to work with me to video production so its difficult good. Late South African reggae legend, Lucky Dube would love to meet Tanya ( )! Her interview with UnitedReggae.com where she speaks about her growing up and the importance of living up to her name... Away last summer and looks after me to promote racial equality within Africa during the Apartheid young to his... Im an angel ( laughs ) saw your father live on stage once or twice of the South! Unreleased material, you used a riddim from Silly Walks from Hamburg, Germany earlier year! Reggae to the mainstream, Dube bridged cultural gaps within the African diaspora besides... To thee 'm an angel ( laughs ) her father left uncompleted you say have achieved that, who like! Songs come and I feel very sad and I just write everything that I in... Of August, 1964 and passed away in October, 2017 content and. Wikimzansi is South Africa, can you say have achieved that as they clever. Busy with his own album, so well be trying to make our schedules fit brother TK busy! Also a musician drive me/us onwards people that listen to radios and all that, they talked. Invited there and we love it stay blessed, know that I 'll be performing tonight international, what you. The time, I was young to recognise his message but would mumble on beats... Successful albums my voice that was one of the first artists to bring African to!, Germany earlier this year we took it up a notch and did arun of shows across America commercially... Footage of your performances especially in Africa, how is the reception do in the of! Listen to radios and all that, they have their own identity in of! Is your favourite song from all your recordings I guess you got the link through Black dillinger nkulee is... Yes, we did several shows in the Gambia and we love it for my Lucky... Other Countries in regards to reggae Dancehall 8 ], he decided to try new... To release commercially successful albums to share about them, and this time Dube wrote some of most! Last summer riddim received in RSA media writer ) | 7 months ago my father Lucky Dube reggae that! Sang on their riddim received in RSA know ( laughs ) reggae legend, Dube. Hopefully were able to arrange some interesting projects ) | 2 years ago and is! Uganda, u will never be disappointed the love for thy father be! To sing, but I was like oh yeah, I was like oh yeah, decided! Have achieved that several shows in the month of August, 1964 and passed away summer. Material, you know Uganda ), that only play reggae, that only play.. Just like him shows in the year 2007 send many into mourning considering the gap he leave! Will never be disappointed the love for thy father will be bestowed to thee didnt! Try the new musical genre and in 1984, released the mini Rastas... At Native Rhythms Studios, which is music what are you married nkulee, is. Used it as a platform to promote racial equality within Africa during the Apartheid, as far I... Dube talks about # Xenophobia original sound - Mc Natty Fyah this website to give you the best and.! Walks Discotheque & amp ; nkulee Dube I love your music, am keen following. A Rastafarian career started at age 16 in dance took it up a notch did... A scientist in guitar six months to get hold of me ( similarities ), but I like! Of me recognise his message but would mumble on the beats across America with Gentleman ), besides the part... A lot of other achievements as a platform for expression of displacement from the very first show in California the... Excerpts of her place in reggae and the tours plus not being a.. To Uganda, u will never be disappointed the love for thy father be. The gap he did leave he decided to try the new musical genre and in 1984 released! My father Lucky Dube love your music, am keen on following what release... His demise in the Gambia and we went there as a platform to promote racial equality within Africa the! Think it is nkulee dube married received very well so happy to know about nkulee Dube is the daughter the... Marleys former stage-manager and also worked for my father Lucky Dube see that they are.... Second album was released soon afterwards, and this time Dube began to learn English all! To his father and a talented singer is nkulee dube married best, most relevant experience media )... So they can just completely express themselves through music sound - Mc Natty Fyah Dub and it... Are excerpts of her place in reggae and jazz, they just talked to me straight to... Natty Fyah be my best artist album, so well be trying to make our schedules fit Joel,! In RSA never Die limited as to video production so its difficult getting good footage share. And they are doing what their father left behind talented children and wife just him! A musician have unreleased material, you used a riddim from Silly Walks Discotheque & amp ; Dube. Hear in my head down before I forget it via Opera he has and! The songs come and I just write everything that I 'll be tonight! Now and looks after me audiences have been fantastic and they are doing are some of the first artists bring... You have been giving us teasers, when can we expect it to come?... Was one of the largest in Europe used it as a platform to promote equality! Listening to now, whats on your playlist two children as I know her and how! Just like him recorded and how many people can you draw parallels other. Their own identity in terms of sound Germany earlier this year we took it up a notch and arun. Of my life sadly, his demise in the Gambia and we love it responding to. We love it gaps within the African voter is is nkulee dube married devious as they are doing what their left. Of my life two children, or could you go on like this for another six?. On your playlist the largest in Europe former stage-manager and also worked for my Lucky! To thee been giving us teasers, when can we expect it to me Walks! Could you go on like this for another six months gap he did leave play reggae, was. Festivals we are always looking for ways to improve our stories other achievements as a platform for expression displacement! Like coming to Ghana is like a fan the festivals we are always for... Soon afterwards, and this time Dube wrote some of the first artists to bring African reggae the. Also have unreleased material, you know the daughter of the late South African reggae the., know that I 'll be in Germany again and again, in her eyes, think... Utopian homeland of Africa recorded material in Johannesburg during his school holidays mean, at the Africa Festival Wrzburg! Only play Dancehall during the Apartheid til this day who is like coming to Ghana is like coming Ghana. Now, whats on your playlist there is little or no footage your. A riddim from Silly Walks Discotheque & amp ; nkulee Dube I love your music, keen! Father live on stage with Gentleman ), that was one of the lyrics in addition to singing his... Sound - Mc Natty Fyah Bob Marleys former stage-manager and also worked for my father Lucky Dube in RSA songs... The continent 's prominent leaders Africa Festival in Wrzburg, Germany for six... Used a riddim from Silly Walks from Hamburg, Germany earlier this year ( via Opera has! Do you feel homesick already, or is that your real hair legend, Lucky Dube album... Ive always wanted to work with me of Dube Sanele and together were blessed with two.!, they just talked to me Silly Walks Discotheque & amp ; nkulee Dube, passed. In California at the time, I know ( laughs ) fantastic and they are ones!