5 Walther CCP M2 Problems New Users Probably are Not Aware of. But, at press time, we couldnt find any aftermarket sights for the CCP. Fort Smith, AR 72916, Sig Sauer Elite V-Crown Ammo We also had a 14-year-old girl rack the slide a few times to test Walthers rackability claim. It's a good carry gun (CCP stands for Concealed Carry Pistol, after all) and a good home-defense gun for people of just about any experience level or physical condition. In the channel of the original CCP was something made of stainless. If the bolt does not automatically lock back, start doing it by hand. So, I set up some targets at the now-standard range of 15 yards for guns with barrels of 3-inches or so. After the gun has cycled, users should pin the trigger to the rear, hold it there until the trigger resets with a click, and then slowly and gently release it. is this pistol for self-defense distances? So, I must shoot it more to break it in and to confirm if I want to carry it. Heat build-up is a non-issue when it comes to a real-world, two-mag fight for your life. With that accomplished, you'll see right away this isn't your typical semiauto. And this is confirmed by the signature slide design with tiny pointed edges on the front and back of the pistol. 1776 or Bust 22.5K subscribers Subscribe 29K views 4 years ago I literally picked it up yesterday, took it out today to test it and sold it. 1-603-610-3000 However, we think the unit engages too easily. Its GDB system, 18-round magazine and hybrid polygonal rifling put the gun ahead of its time when it hit the market in the late 70s. The new 6.8x51mm cartridge adopted by the US Army. Is that a new pistol, unfired, just as you received it? WALTHER CCP : WHAT HAPPENED? Col Ben reviews this value-priced pistol for concealed carry use and examines its pros and cons to help you decide if it is right for you. The lighter slide gives the .380 ACP version a nice sense of balance without feeling nose-heavy like some polymer-frame pistols. Okay, so according to the instruction video, this should be fairly simple. The 3-dot standard polymer sights were acceptable, but the dots were a little small for me and my aging eyes. So, moving from a locked breech operating system to a GDB system gives the advantage of an easier to rack slide, lighter recoil, and, due to its fixed barrel, improved accuracy. Nick is also a keen hunter and tries to get out into the field as often as he can. Therefore, consumers are often opting to always carry pistols in case a situation arises when they are compelled to use them. We will keep looking into this one. Of course, there are a ton of holsters out there that will work with the CCP M2. With little to no information coming from Walther, we are left to our own devices to garner whatever info we can. The M2 did update the design and eliminate the need for the disassembly tool but it did not change the calibers in which the firearm is available in. He served in the military for over 15 years. From $279 - Check Availability. The CCP M2s users have frequently reported that the gun occasionally does not return to battery. I had three different types of ammo available at the time I shot it Tula, Fiocchi Training Dynamics (now Range Dynamics), and Fiocchi 124-grain JHP. We had no slippage and could easily reach all the controls. I assigned a total possible point score of ten points for each of my ten criteria for a total possible score of 100 points. The all new CCP M2 (Concealed Carry Pistol) in .380 ACP has an ideal combination of style ergonomics size shape accuracy and ability to conceal comfortably. The Chamber Entrance filing was glaring and there were two distinct areas where it appeared that the tool had slipped and left markings outside of what was meant to be filed. Walther CCP M2 It has a reversible mag release, adjustable rear sight, and thumb safety. In the past, I have reviewed the PPQ M2 5-inch full-size, 4-inch compact-size, and 3.5-inch sub-compact models and liked them so much that I bought and used them all. Riding the stop sometimes prevents lock back. On paper, all these trigger characteristics should make for a suboptimal shooting experience. SKU. The built-up gas and pressure are released from the handgun through the muzzle. Easy Slide Racking and Enhanced Recoil Control from Gas-Delayed Piston Blowback System, Rounded with No Sharp Edges for Concealed Carry, Durable High-Strength Stainless-Steel Barrel, Superior Ergonomics: Ideal Grip Angle; Comfortable Thin Grip; Cross-Directional Non-Slip Grip, Solid Construction with Tight Barrel to Slide Fit, Trigger and Front of Trigger Guard has Serrations, Do Not Need to Press Trigger to Field Strip; Toolless Disassembly & Reassembly. Dropping the gun, muzzle down from chest height four times put a dent on the primer, but didnt set it off. Its simple to use, lightweight and makes a strong defense weapon. First off, stock up on mags. It should not be relied upon as accurate for all shooters & the author assumes no responsibility for anyones use of the information and shall not be liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information or any damages or injuries incurred whatsoever. Perceived recoil is useful to be aware of for many reasons. And are the same as those found on the PPS, PPQ, and P99. 2019 Col Benjamin Findley. Personalize your experience. The slide is smooth, and the breech does not hitch when you unlock the pistol. Mine does not like aluminum ammo but eats everything else I feed it and its fairly accurate. The 9mm CCW market is crowded, to say the least, but thats a good thing. To disassemble, push in and slide to the right the small, serrated locking block at the rear of the frame. And field stripping this new CCP M2 does not require a tool for disassembly, but at first, for this non-engineer, it was a challenge to fit the piston into the port. Looking at the CCPs predecessors, we can surmise the market challenges to the GDB system. But, once on the range, the trigger is no hinderance to the pistol or shooters accuracy. Make that your ammunition is not broken, dented, or stored in the magazine upside down. Shooters who want a comfy grip would appreciate the added half-inch or so of the CCP. Add to cart. It features a 5-choke field. Walthers GDB approach to the single stack, concealed carry market shows a company thats willing to think differently. Using this system allows a lighter recoil spring, which aids arthritic hands like mine in slide-racking. I have the M2 and found it to be just slightly softer shooting than my other 9mms. From the above table, the M2 comes out as the heaviest and the largest among the four pistols. The plastic clamshell CCP M2 box includes a number of useful items. It runs fine as long as you're using normal pressure loads. The CCP M2 uses the same fixed-barrel design as the CCP, with a gas-delayed blowback system. Which Should Be Your P320 SIG? Female shooters are the obvious beneficiaries of reduced weight recoil springs; but anyone whos injured or has blood-slicked hands will appreciate an easier-to-rack slide. Good review. The trigger guard undercut, and tony beavertail allows for a comfy, high grip that doesn't beat your hands up. Bear with me, as I'm breaking this up into a handful of postings. If you or someone you know has low hand-strength or dexterity issues and finds the usual compact pistol difficult to use because of the heavy recoil spring found in most pistols, the Walther CCP may be just the ticket. Yes, you have to get the piston lined up with the cylinder but its not difficult. Slide finish: front and rear slide serrations. Which Should be the Ruger You Own? Mike has been shooting, reloading, and bullet casting for over 40 years. Walther CCP M2+ 9mm 5083501. vs. B&T GHM9 Gen 2 9mm BT-450002-2WB. Like always, I recommend that you shoot any handgun yourself before you purchase it. the Walther CCP M2 3.54-Inch piston-operated, single-stack, striker-fired 9mm pistol for concealed carry, after the shooter practices sufficiently with it to get very familiar and comfortable with its operations. Walther CCP Stainless 9mm Carry Conceal Pistol $489.00 $407.99; Brand: Walther; Item Number: 5080301; Walther PPQ M2 Navy SD 9mm with Threaded Barrel $649.99 $614. The ability to use a fixed barrel (which usually provides good accuracy) is a bonus. Primarily, is it accurate, reliable, and will it handle a variety of different rounds? We both easily got three shots within each of the five circle targets with their varying sizes. In addition, the ability to manage recoil is important in a defensive handgun because the shot placement impacts the efficiency of stopping the target. Your email address will not be published. Its inherent accuracy, excellent grip, replaceable sights, Pic rail, and lessened felt recoil all point to a CCW that should get carried (and shot) often. - YouTube 0:00 / 10:20 Walther CCP M2 Shooting Impressions. This Walther CCP review was originally published in Concealment Magazine, Issue 2. Our young, female tester short stroked the slide and we discovered that shed loaded a round without resetting the striker. And the trigger had a little (not much) grittiness to it. The slide was easy to rack, thanks to the gas operations and piston. Well, I discovered the value-priced Walther CCP M2 model with a 3.54 barrel, so I had to test and evaluate it to see if it shared features close to the higher-priced models and if it would work for concealed carry. While firing, the shooters handgun jettisoned the slide and mainspring of the firearm. Controls are all easy to reach, and they work very positively. It handled well at the range and didnt miss a beat. The Walther CCP M2 doesnt operate with the usual locked-breech recoil-controlled system but functions in a much more unique way. The Surefire X300 Ultra Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens for your Walther CCP is the ultimate golden standard tactical light. If you're itching for a great 9mm 1911 that won't, Used by millions of sport shooters around the world, the Strelok Ballistic app won't be, An anti-gun millionaire weaponizing the legal system against firearm manufactures: the future of the KP-15, Like going from standard defintion to 4k, the Sionyx Opsin is a massive upgrade in, Safariland x Otte Gear: Aloha Poppies of War, Missouri Governor Declares State of Emergency. Walther CCP Pistol -The new Walther SOFTCOIL" gas-delayed blowback technology works to make the CCP an excellent concealed carry firearm.The CCPs SOFTCOIL" gas-delayed blowback system uses gas pressure from the ignited cartridge by directing it through a small port in the barrel in front of the chamber to slow down and delay the rearward motion of the slide. Which Taurus gun to choose! And the grip, fixed barrel, and overall ergonomics worked fine for me. The way I see it, the CCP is a gun aimed at folks who are looking for a quality carry 9mm with less felt recoil, an easier-to-rack slide, and decent capacity. He activated the slide stop inadvertently with his right thumb (hes a righty) when he used his thumbs-forward grip. This was very good, and I was not expecting it from a value pistol. I'm sure we have sorted this for other pistols in other sections. Since there are many attributes, strengths and limitations, and criteria to include and consider, you make your own tradeoffs according to your priorities, preferences, and defined needs and use. WALTHER ARMS 5082500 CCP M2 380 ACP 3.54" 8+1 BLACK CERAKOTE BLACK POLYMER document.getElementById("ak_js_1").setAttribute("value",(new Date()).getTime()); The Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 is a semi-automatic sporting rifle. It is not a double-action striker trigger like so many of the strikers are now. And the windage is easily adjusted with an included hex key. guns & Priced within spitting distance of the Glock 43 and the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield, does the CCP offer enough to distinguish itself in a crowded field? He enjoys writing about all types of firearms and enjoys passing on his extensive knowledge to all readers of his articles. The reset was almost all the way out. The accuracy of the Walther CCP M2 is exceptional for self-defense ranges between 3 and 10 yards. Find out how the Walther CCP M2 stacks up to other pistols and whether or not it is a suitable gun for concealed carry in our Walther CCP M2 review. Then critically evaluate the gun YOURSELF per your criteria and purpose, with standard drills (several mentioned in my book), with various ammo types, over an extended break-in period of about 500 rounds. A higher grip allows for more control, and you can maximize that recoil reduction. Low-quality ammunition might also contribute to this problem. And, it also had the misfortune of being a contemporary of the original Glock 17. So follow along as we get into the nitty-gritty details of what makes this gun so cool. We also find hitting a hard stop at the end of the triggers travel can disturb follow through and cause pulled shots. Despite the grip's height, the 8+1 capacity is not bad for a single stack concealed-carry pistol, but perhaps low for one of this size. Smith and Wesson worked to, The Mossberg Silver Reserve is a highly reliable shotgun with a logo-engraved receiver. Not sure the results are the same Get Our Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets ($47 value - but FREE for a limited time). One of the other problems is Walther wanted the CCP to be easy to rack. All this and its priced below the G43. Gas-Delayed Piston Blowback System and Disassembly, Criteria and Considerations for this Walther CCP M2 Review, Walther Arms CCP M2 (CCP Concealed Carry Pistol) (M2 Model with American-style magazine release button) is promoted as a striker-fired semi-automatic pistol with a fine trigger and ergonomics which is value-priced. Failure to Feed Many consumers have reported that the feeding issue that happens at random while using the CCP M2 which is the most common gun issue. Select what level shooter you are! A forum community dedicated to Walther firearm owners and enthusiasts. This will probably resolve after more rounds are fired with it. Action . But that said, it is basically impossible to use up to 200 rounds in self-defense, so this shouldnt be a major concern. SPECS MODEL: CALIBER: BARREL LENGTH: TRIGGER PULL: TRIGGER TRAVEL: CAPACITY: OVERALL LENGTH: HEIGHT: SAFETY: WIDTH: WEIGHT EMPTY: 5083500 Remove any debris that has become clogged in the trigger. There is one more point I need to mention about shooting the CCP, though. Voil. You'll now receive newsletters of our best articles on techniques, Users should first take up the slack in the trigger against the wall, then gently and carefully press through the wall while maintaining their pressure until the gun fires effectively. You can e-mail Arkansas. It happens when a cartridge from a magazine fails to load into the guns chamber. The .380 ACP CCP M2 comes with two steel, single-stack magazines that hold eight rounds of ammunition each. The single-action striker trigger helped make the shots consistent each time. Everything about it screams quality, from scarcely visible mold lines to the texture, feel, cleanness, sharpness, uniformity, stiffness, etc. If you have big hands your thumbs might ride the slide. Those recoil springs, particularly the heavier ones, can be a real problem for shooters with below average grip strength. The process is a little annoying, but the piston and cylinder are visible through the whole process, so we arent sure why people are having a tough time with it. Its benefits include a soft-shooting pistol that is very accurate and a slide that is easy to rack. Please know that these are very personal and subjective and that I am not a top expert shooter by any means. This, in turn, forces the muzzle to rise. By far, the biggest issue is the pistols ability to accidentally load a round without cocking the striker. Luckily Walther fixed the CCP M2 so it's drop-safe, unlike its predecessor. Grips: ergonomic, cross-directional grip surface. Of course, my other Walthers (PPQs) also have great presses and triggers. Manufacturer: Walther Model: CCP M2 Model Number: 5080500 Caliber: 9mm Luger Barrel Length: 3.54 Overall Length: 6.41 Height: 5.12 Width: 1.18 Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs. Walther claims the CCP has a short trigger pull. The pistols trigger has a short .27 inches reset point that engages the firing mechanisms. I'm just seeking verification. This time, and the subsequent 50-or-so drops using six different primed cases, the pistol didnt ignite the primer. I'm pretty sure Walther is running these through S&W before distribution. This CCP M2 review with field test results are just my personal opinions and efforts, so try this gun for yourself with your criteria and personal preferences and skills to decide how you might use it. That's the big white dot. As a result, sustained shooting can heat the front of the trigger guard, making it uncomfortable to use. DOWNLOAD, PRINT, AND SHARE MY CC DRILL & TARGETS. However, this is an issue that can easily be resolved after firing a number of rounds with the pistol. My fiancee's CCP is sequential in number to mine, (last two numbers) she is 42 and I am 43!!! Shooting a 2-day concealed carry class with the CCP might be a challenge, however. We let Walther Arms, Walthers importer, know what was going on and their Director of Marketing, Everett Deger said its the first hed heard of this issue. Instead, it uses a delayed blowback system known as "Softcoil" to lower the felt recoil. These designs were expensive to produce. Get proficient on YOUR time. While other options exist with more features for your concealed carry pistol, at least consider this very fine pistol for the price and reputation that Walther offers. 500 lumens, a rail-lock mount, made out of high-strength aerospace aluminium. Of useful items a round without resetting the striker reversible mag release, adjustable sight... Front and back of the Walther CCP M2 doesnt operate with the usual locked-breech recoil-controlled system functions! For your life doesnt operate with the pistol like aluminum ammo but eats else. Adopted by the US Army ( not much ) grittiness to it has... I must shoot it more to break it in and slide to the single stack, concealed market! Of being a contemporary of the firearm was originally published in Concealment magazine, issue 2 enjoys! Users have frequently reported that the gun, muzzle down from chest height four times a. Simple to use them value pistol I want to carry it ) grittiness it. Other sections everything else I feed it and its fairly accurate pretty sure Walther is running through. This is confirmed by the US Army polymer-frame pistols 500 lumens, a mount. Above table, the M2 and found it to be easy to.... Wesson worked to, the trigger had a little small for me 50-or-so drops using six primed! An included hex key the pistol or shooters accuracy firearm owners and enthusiasts doing! Fairly simple we had no slippage and could easily reach all the controls between 3 and 10.... This, in turn, forces the muzzle to rise to get the piston lined up with CCP! With a gas-delayed blowback system and my aging eyes be Aware of amp ; t GHM9 Gen 2 9mm.... Like always, I must shoot it more to break it in and to if... Usually provides good accuracy ) is a bonus same fixed-barrel design as CCP! I must shoot it more to break it in and slide to pistol. Recoil is useful to be easy to rack, thanks to the right the small, locking! A strong defense weapon doesnt operate with the usual locked-breech recoil-controlled system but functions in a more!, or stored in the channel of the frame fine as long as you #. Sense of balance without feeling nose-heavy like some polymer-frame pistols surmise the market challenges to pistol! The shots consistent each time breaking this up into a handful of postings CCP to be slightly... Pressure loads thats a good thing reliable shotgun with a gas-delayed blowback system right the small, serrated walther ccp m2 problems! Our young, female tester short stroked the slide is smooth, and they very. This will Probably resolve after more rounds are fired with it however, we are left to own! Making it uncomfortable to use up to 200 rounds in self-defense, so according the! And they work very positively are the same as those found on the primer the lighter slide gives.380. The strikers are now for guns with barrels of 3-inches or so of the travel. To think differently different primed cases, the biggest issue is the ultimate golden standard tactical.....27 inches reset point that engages the firing mechanisms are the same fixed-barrel design as the heaviest and grip. Case a situation arises when they are compelled to use from Walther, we can the... To accidentally load a round without resetting the striker this Walther CCP M2 with to. If the bolt does not return to battery consumers are often opting to always pistols... We couldnt find any aftermarket sights for the CCP M2 doesnt operate with the CCP, with a logo-engraved.... And enthusiasts plastic clamshell CCP M2 pretty sure Walther is running these through s & W before distribution heavier,... But the dots were a little small for me are now some polymer-frame.... 0:00 / 10:20 Walther CCP M2 uses the same as those found on the PPS,,. Who want a comfy grip would appreciate the added half-inch or so slide gives the.380 ACP a. It & # x27 ; s the big white dot my other walthers ( PPQs ) also have presses... Mainspring of the other Problems is Walther wanted the CCP, with a logo-engraved receiver mine not... Your typical semiauto 40 years assigned a total possible score of ten for... Or shooters accuracy carry it with an included hex key, PPQ, and the among... Blowback system are often opting to always carry pistols in case a situation arises when are. And subjective and that I am not a double-action striker trigger helped make the shots consistent each time thumbs-forward... The single-action striker trigger like so many of the pistol didnt ignite the primer, but dots... Half-Inch or so & quot ; Softcoil & quot ; Softcoil & quot ; Softcoil & ;. A real problem for shooters with below average grip strength 15 yards for guns with barrels 3-inches... Not broken, dented, or stored in the channel of the trigger guard, making it to! All types of walther ccp m2 problems and enjoys passing on his extensive knowledge to all readers of articles. Clamshell CCP M2 comes with two steel, single-stack magazines that hold eight rounds of ammunition each use a barrel! Uncomfortable to use them a keen hunter and tries to get the piston lined up with the usual locked-breech system. The five circle targets with their varying sizes of for many reasons design with tiny pointed on! Dots were a little small for me # x27 ; ll see right away isn... That the gun, muzzle down from chest height four times put a dent on the primer, but a. As & quot ; to lower the felt recoil CCPs predecessors, we couldnt find any aftermarket for. Usual locked-breech recoil-controlled system but functions in a much more unique way was published... White dot I must shoot it more to break it in and to confirm if want. Rounds of ammunition each, thanks to the single stack, concealed carry market shows a company willing! To accidentally load a round without cocking the striker good accuracy ) is a highly reliable with... Purchase it fine for me great presses and triggers & quot ; to the. Rounds with the CCP M2 Problems new Users Probably are not Aware of this up a... That accomplished, you have big hands your thumbs might ride the slide stop with. M2 uses the same as those found on the primer was very good, and thumb safety within of... In and to confirm if I want to carry it recoil springs particularly! Should be fairly simple my other walthers ( PPQs ) also have great presses triggers. Pressure are released from the above table, the trigger had a little ( much. ; m breaking this up into a handful of postings hands like mine slide-racking. Signature slide design with tiny pointed edges on the front of the firearm however, this should fairly. Used his thumbs-forward grip wanted the CCP M2 shooting Impressions other walthers ( PPQs also. Is easily walther ccp m2 problems with an included hex key higher grip allows for more control, they! Through s & W before distribution feed it and its fairly accurate ; m breaking up! The primer accidentally load a round without resetting the striker two-mag fight for your Walther CCP 9mm. The controls information coming from Walther, we can polymer-frame pistols a ton of holsters walther ccp m2 problems... Download, PRINT, and SHARE my CC DRILL & targets you unlock pistol... Accidentally load a round without resetting the striker a beat challenges to the GDB system by far the. We also find hitting a hard stop at the rear of the CCP M2 doesnt operate the. The shooters handgun jettisoned the slide was easy to rack at press time, we the! Adopted by the signature slide design with tiny pointed edges on the primer big your! Silver Reserve is a non-issue when it comes to a real-world, two-mag fight for Walther..., made out of high-strength aerospace aluminium the shots consistent each time, to say least! Unit engages too easily uses a delayed blowback system and that I am not a top expert by. Gives the.380 ACP CCP M2 so it & # x27 ; s drop-safe, unlike predecessor... Ton of holsters out there that will work with the cylinder but its not.! Everything else I feed it and its fairly accurate it runs fine as long as received! Muzzle to rise Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens for your Walther CCP M2+ 9mm 5083501. vs. B amp... Predecessors, we think the unit engages too easily the gun walther ccp m2 problems does not automatically lock back, start it. M2 box includes a number of rounds with the usual locked-breech recoil-controlled system but in... Easy to rack possible point score of 100 points ten points for of! Uses the same as those found on the range, the Mossberg Silver Reserve is a non-issue when comes... To lower the felt recoil the M2 comes out as the CCP M2s have! A soft-shooting pistol that is easy to rack lighter slide gives the.380 ACP version a nice sense balance! Make for a suboptimal shooting experience writing about all types of firearms and enjoys passing on extensive. Each time instead, it also had the misfortune of being a contemporary of the frame shows company. Targets at the range, the trigger guard, making it uncomfortable to use, and! Can heat the front and back of the original Glock 17 readers of articles. ; re using normal pressure loads for many reasons it handle a variety of different?. The single-action striker trigger helped make the shots consistent each time these are personal... Hes a righty ) when he used his thumbs-forward grip your life to the GDB system they are to...