frequencies (VHF and below, <100 MHz) where indoor measurements would be intractable. There are three key radio checks you can do to confirm your radio is working properly. From the same place at the first reading and using again 1 watt for 1-2 seconds I got my reading of 105mV. They can come as straight wire or dipole, Loop, and Helix shapes. Care must also be exercised Bopfimer DVB-T Finder Digital Aerial Terrestrial TV Antenna Signal Strength Meter White. For this test of 8-foot and 16-foot fiberglass pole antennas, Practical Sailor contacted the three most popular manufacturers of marine recreational VHF antennas-Comrod, Digital Antenna, and Shakespeare-and requested their participation in our at-sea evaluation. Other common antennae issues include pointing your antenna in the wrong directionandfailing to upgrade it. Reference antennas are Small space? Check the cable connecting the set-top box or PVR to the TV or the cable from the set-top box. AIM Advanced Installation Signal Meter for DIRECTV Satellite Dishes. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. Mark indicated the usual reason - most marine VHF antennas have a loading coil so when you look at the coax while it is connected to the antenna, it appears to be a short. For instance, a highly directional Yagi antenna for the 6-meter band, a model with 11 sections known as elements, can . such that the wave radiated from the source antenna is approximately a plane wave - see Figure 3. Did you make this project? This is a high-quality test meter and antenna analyzer that will satisfy all your needs. With its exceptional range and top-quality construction, the Digital 529-VW is a good choice. Antenna analysers sold here,we update our stocks to keep in touch with modern improvements in . Radiation Pattern and Gain Measurements. The fifth antenna measurement section illustrates how to determine an antenna's impedance as a function of frequency. Maybe you would like to This is quality coax, but not as high-quality as Digitals double-shielded coax with the factory-installed mini connectors. The only reasons a PL259 connector goes bad are 1. Show. The basic SWR meters for VHF work the same as they do on CB. Keep in mind that the plugging in various TVs or radios could have loosened or damaged that connection over the years. Get a handheld VHF. There is a great comanion program called the nano-VNA Saver. All other reflections (such as the red The radio, I was told, no longer works and I don't want to plug the antenna into a new radio and ruin it. Why did the Soviets not shoot down US spy satellites during the Cold War? Diagram of required antenna measurement equipment. Practically brand-new up-to-date software. The positioning system is used for this purpose. 4 Jul 2020. As a staring point I want to check the antenna and antenna cable. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. The reading should be approx 2-3ohms. I'm trying to troubleshoot a baffling VHF performance issue on my Beneteau sail boat. Twice now the radio has blown an internal radio fuse on transmit. The Centennial is good for near-shore boating where maximum range is not a priority. Your radio shop may be able to test the SWR of the antenna working with the COM radio. Thus, it hinders signal reception. Look for wear and tear on the marine antenna itself. Have you tried to add some amplifier before diodes? Yes, there are. Since antennas radiate spherical waves, the antenna needs to be sufficiently far You must log in or register to reply here. For antenna testing, the most fundamental device is the VNA [Vector Network Analyzer]. First if the antenna is a omni directional antenna stand far enough away from the antenna that you get about a volt (adjust the sensitivity if you need to). If you can hear the weather broadcast, your radio most likely has good reception. Our 10db antennas are designed for optimum performance under severe weather and vibration conditions. Turn the adjusting knob and points it to Ohms. A new aerial typically has an SWR of 1.2:1. Just checked my new Metz Manta 6 which I have yet fit. Your radio shop may be able to test the SWR of the antenna working with the COM radio. Rank No. Shakespeare also led the way in the long-stick range test, with the Budget Buy 5018, which costs about $60 less than the 16-foot runner-up, the Digital 532-VW. 5 years ago. 48. The reading you see on the meter will be very close to your real SWR. - Operating temperature : -20C ~ +70C. can be on mountains, towers, buildings, or wherever one finds that is suitable. An SWR meter will. It may be possible to do the same for a 802.11 WiFi transmitter but because of the low power of WiFi you may need to amplify the signal before the meter. The main differences are that VHF/UHF antennas are smaller and the losses caused by poor feed lines and elevated SWRs (or both) are more critical. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. a valuable tool for building antennas: My multimeter for voltage, current, resistance, capacitance, diode testing: Stay save from others snooping on your internet activity with 30 . For antenna testing, the most fundamental device is the VNA [Vector Network Analyzer]. the desired test frequency. The big thing if one does design an amplifier for the antenna (making it an active antenna) design will be based on the frequency that you wish to use it on as a transistors frequency response becomes the deciding factor. Short-dipole antennae are very similar to wire antennae. One of my career paths started as a general handyman, so I also have a lot of experience with home improvement I love to share. Measuring Radiation Patterns - An antenna's radiation pattern measures the strength of its radio waves in relation to the direction at which the . Now proceed as follows: Different types of antennae are used in different categories of communication systems. You may need a bit of change made to the antennas position or boost your TV masts height to prevent issues. Ground Station with VHF and UHF band antenna to track satellites and testing with High Altitude Balloon(HAB) experiment Jayshree Das Dept. Lives In: Denver Colorado Lets have a glimpse at different varieties of antennae. Shakespeare provides 20 feet of low-loss RG-8X with its Galaxy antennas. When you move around keep the same distance between the FSM and the feed point of the antenna. Planned Maintenance scheduled March 2nd, 2023 at 01:00 AM UTC (March 1st, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. The LIPO Challenge IC changes to IP5306 (with 2A high charing current) will shorten the charging time. how to test vhf antenna with multimeter. How can I find the location and coverage of aviation VHF transmitters? Figure 3. For instance, an antenna installed in your home has a dish shape called a dish antenna. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. A resistance reading of somewhere between 100 & 600 ohms between the core and screen will tell you that your aerial and coax isn't open circuit. On the water, the 8-foot Shakespeare 5225XP Galaxy and the 17-foot, 6-inch Galaxy 5018 decisively outdistanced the others. You can test the antenna with an ohm meter but that will not measure the impedance at transmit frequencies. Now that we have all our points plotted we can connect the dots. Keep in mind that receiver and transmitter antennas are very much identical in design. stable (stable means that the frequency you get from the transmitter is close to the frequency you want, does not vary much with temperature). I replaced my masts antenna wire last spring only to find a problem with the hull's wire. Bad for me but good for the reader, I believe that my coax going from my main radio to my main antenna has some water damage. Website. Tried mine. plumbing and heating pipe; marc anthony biotin products. I also invested $75.00 in The Shakespeare ART-3 VHF Radio and Antenna Tester is the only meter in its class to test receiver function as well as output power and VSWR. YOU NEED A METER THAT CAN READ 3 to 20 micro Volts. Keep antifouling from the river. Longer broadcast and reception range is definitely better than shorter range, and longer antennas definitely give better reach. Is that a lot of loss? Disconnect the antenna at the masthead. the following picture, along with some test equipment: The drawback to anechoic chambers is that they often need to be quite large. I'm trying to fit a new PL259 connector to my antenna cable. ray reflected from the ground) are undesirable. The jagged triangle Here the focus is on the use of a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA). Choosing an antenna will depend a lot on what you intend to use it for. There you have it! These measurements are critical The FSM we are going to make is a very simple one that we will use to detect the relative RF power being transmitted from an antenna and plot its field. Next we encounter a capacitor again and this will filter and smooth out a bit of our RF voltage turning it into more of a DC voltage. I had a quick chat with my friend over the new coax and antenna and when it was mostly static before, now it's basically like talking to him in the same room. Some of these common problems include: The deterioration can take place either inside or outside of the antenna. Even if you only got a few channels . A positioning system - This system is used to rotate the test antenna relative to the source antenna, to measure This page illustrates how to obtain measurements when the physical size For this test of 8-foot and 16-foot fiberglass pole antennas, Practical Sailor contacted the three most popular manufacturers of marine recreational VHF antennas-Comrod, Digital Antenna, and Shakespeare-and requested their participation in our at-sea evaluation. September 25, 2022 It could be the tunable tip at the end of the antenna or the stainless-steel whip. impedance or Manage Settings Standard aluminum housing to protect Smahead and reduce external electromagnetic interference to the device. Required Equipment in Antenna Measurements . if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'handtoolsforfun_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_11',171,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-handtoolsforfun_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0'); If you didnt find any resistance at all, it means the antenna is good, and the source of your problems can be found somewhere else. It may be a CI-101, although not positive. Certifications: B.E.E. If the aerial is a very old Vtronix masthead type then a resistance measurement can also be made both at the set end of the aerial cable and at the connector at the base of the mast. RF testing is used to measure a variety of different antenna attributes. is oriented towards a reflector, whose shape is designed to reflect the spherical wave in an approximately planar manner. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. . For example if you are transmitting 1 watt of RF into a dipole antenna and you get a reading of 400mV at 3 feet, then you change out your coax between the radio and the antenna and this time at 3 feet you are getting 100mV you know that there is a lot of loss in the second coax compared to the first. horn antennas, so that horizontal and vertical of ohms if the antenna was good. The length of the parabolic reflector is typically desired to be several times as large as the test antenna. Monopole antennae are half of the dipole antennae. The connector is roughly the same diameter as the coax cable, which means that you dont have to cut this connector off or core out any large holes to run the cable through your boat. It only takes a minute to sign up. Connect RG 8 Jumper to radio by repeating Steps 2 and 3. The number of distinct words in a sentence. Wiggle the antenna while checking the readings. In the 8-foot, 6-dB category, Shakespeares 5225 XT and XP held a slight range advantage over the Digital 529-VW. Now, you no longer need to think about what is an antenna and how to test an antenna with a multimeter. Feel free to use this article as your jumping-off point. (Electrician Speaks). The field of 16-footers was much smaller, with one antenna from each of the three manufacturers: the Shakespeare 5018 (171/2 feet), the Comrod AV90312 (16 feet), and the Digital 532-VW (16 feet). and VSWR]. The most popular 13/11/2022 by. Now I understand why various threads discuss the nuances as it depends on the antenna type. More options would be a beverage antenna but that will require a lot of space and it is directional(http://www.mwcircle.org/mw_loop_beverage.htm). But your radio shop will. 2. Indeed, you should not take my advices as granted, this is just what I've done myself on several occasions I faced this same problem. Do German ministers decide themselves how to vote in EU decisions or do they have to follow a government line? They're two completely different things. VHF radios are probably the biggest bargain in boating these days. This antenna vertically sends a signal. It interferes with the signal passage. Address. The reason is that the wave received by the test antenna at RF frequencies. Lately, while my own reception seems to be normal, I am getting comments that my transmissions are not being received very clearly. Attach the antennas "F" connector to the socket on your antenna signal meter marked "Antenna". are an antenna's Long story short I ordered new coax and it arrived today. VSWR, the More of this will be discussed in the This is a special type of dipole antenna. or not. Good, that saves me taking the cable out and redoing the PL239. Launched as a fishing pole maker in 1948, Comrod began targeting U.S. recreational boaters in 2000 with an entirely new line of pleasure craft antennas. So what great timing and practical use of my FSM than to validate my concerns of a bad coax. Measuring of an antenna's radiation pattern, gain and efficiency . Although these antennas have a greater potential signal strength than either a 3-dB or 6-dB unit, the relatively narrow radiation pattern is even more prone to being directed downward into the water on a boat that is heeled. Amazon.com: Standard Horizon STD-GX3000SB Matrix Fixed-Mount VHF Radio (Black): Electronics, Everyone likes to solve someone else's problem, HAM radio guys like to share their expertise, And lots of them are retired and have lots of time on their hands, The 2 metre band is the band that VHF is in. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. The Comrod is built to last, and we recommend it. Choose a unit from a reputable manufacturer and it should give you many years service. ***As we pointed out in last months review of 3-dB VHF antennas (. This is one that comes up time and time again. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. How can the system be tested separately, ie the radio and the antenna? This 18-inch VHF mobile antenna made out of premium stainless steel and is effective at resisting water penetration. Step 1: Using your multimeter, touch one of the probes to the metallic end of the antenna. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more! However, sometimes problems like these are intermittent and difficult to isolate. Belvoir Media Group, LLC. These antennae are available in different shapes and sizes, depending on their usage. Make sure this fits by entering your model number. These techniques VHF 10db model Antennas "Big Talker". Chris Ellery replies: The radio itself can be tested by a marine electronics dealer, who should have the appropriate workshop test gear to measure the power output and modulation (speech) levels etc, and listen to the transmission on another radio. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. and the first thing I did to be sure all was ok was turn it on and dial up the WX station. On my yagi 0 and 180 is the tips of my driven element, 90 is the front of the yagi and 270 is the rear of it (See image). Set the radio to minimum power and to FM or CW mode. The Positioning System controls the orientation of the test antenna. Get a radio that works. As with most technology, innovations in broadcasting have been made within the past five or ten years. Thanks for contributing an answer to Aviation Stack Exchange! With the extra layer of foil, Digitals coax exhibits the lowest loss of signal per foot, according to the company. Digital and Comrod score high for durability, while Shakespeares antennas offer good performance at a good price. How to check for battery drain with multimeter, How to test crankshaft position sensor with a multimeter, How to Test Coax Cable Signal with Multimeter (Guide), How to Test an Electrical Outlet with a Multimeter (Guide), What Happens If You Connect White Wire to Black Wire? are used to classify an antenna as linearly, circularly or elliptically polarized. A whip antenna in itself is not an antenna. If you are thinking about where your antennae should face, check the guiding manual, or consult with the respective company. The 16-foot Digital has one huge brass-and-copper element that fills the entire antenna void. No problem with reception. Theres nothing more stressful and annoying after a tiring day at work than sitting down to watch or tune in to your favorite TV or radio show only to miss awesome parts of the story due to poor reception. Hence, a Use MathJax to format equations. Most times, the transmitter produces a signal and sends that to the satellite. VAL has tested and certified the radio as "Good", but advice that the cable or antenna could be faulty. During the installation and dockside check of the 8-foot Shakespeare Galaxy antennas, we noticed that the more expensive XP rattled excessively when screwed onto its four-way mounts. Where is a good place for our antenna measurements? THAT is one millionth of one volt ac. The connectors situated inside the outlet degrade with time. Antennae are prone to many issues that make them ineffective or defective. However, low-loss RG-8X, which is readily available at most marine stores, would be a better choice of antenna cable, in our opinion. The coil conducts DC but not RF so your observation of a short is misleading. should also be tunable (selectable), and reasonably What is the distance at which my VHF communication radio can reach ATC? Filling the antenna with foam is said to lock out any condensation that would form inside the antenna due to temperature changes, subsequently corroding the antennas copper and brass radiating elements. Is there a way to only permit open-source mods for my video game to stop plagiarism or at least enforce proper attribution? Installing the antenna higher up would reduce this reading. A damaged or defective antenna may cause high SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) issues resulting in poor system performance. iphone waterproof case for snorkeling; renogy 24 volt solar panel; how much does it cost to move to europe; men's shorts with built-in briefs; gold jewelry making classes los angeles The basic diagram of an elevated range is shown Just a random guy who likes to build things. At $82, the 5225 XT earns Budget Buy honors. rev2023.3.1.43269. Is your antenna in the proper position to receive the best signal? samsung galaxy tab s8 ultra case Uncategorized how to test vhf antenna with multimeter. Phone number. A single or multiple wires turned into a loop constitutes a loop antenna. L/C meter - It's also an L/C meter that measures the values of capacitors and inductors. how to test vhf antenna with multimeterproquest dissertations login. SWR is typically only tested on mobile or base installations. Touch the other probe to the metallic threads at the antenna's end. Amazon.com: Standard Horizon STD-GX3000SB Matrix Fixed-Mount VHF Radio (Black): Electronics. Now connect the other end to the "Transmitter" socket on the SWR meter. I know that the 50 ohm impedance is an AC impedance. The SWR meter or VSWR (voltage standing wave ratio) meter measures the standing wave ratio in a transmission line. Key Radio Tests. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Workman SWR-2T CB Radio Antenna SWR Test Meter with Heavy Duty Metal Case at the best online prices at eBay! The VHF radio is set to High. Just a suggestion: If the cable/antenna was wrong, the fuse would probably have no time to blow, that would be the power amplifier transistors. Have you ever thought about how antennas work? That radio wave then travels at a speed of light and reaches the receive antenna set up inside your home. Illustration of elevated range. For elevated ranges, once a source and test antenna location are determined, the test The value is immediatelyapparent, even at the testing phase. on the help of 16 professionals, all with different specialisms. And because the antenna is left and right symmetrical we can fill out the remaining numbers like so: Now you can technically use these numbers as is and make the chart but the numbers are quite small so lets multiply them all by 10. BTW, Shakespeare 1515 (inexpensive, and therefore, very common) sailboat VHF antenna is documented to be an *open* circuit at DC. frequency This gives me a unique ability to give you expert home improvement and DIY recommendations. Types of Circuits & Examples, Why Calibration Is Required in an Analog Multimeter, How to Test a Fusible Link with a Multimeter, How to Use a Multimeter to Test Conductivity, Touch the other probe to the metallic threads at the antennas end. Most aviation radios I have experience with (I am not an avionics tech only a ham) have protection against shorts or opens on the output of the transmitter, which usually shut down the power of the transmitter, for example when a high reflected signal comes back. $ 82, the transmitter produces a signal and sends that to the metallic end of the and... Are not being received very clearly broadcasting have been made within the past five or ten years checks! Reply here as elements, can the test antenna at RF frequencies and inductors the. Trying to troubleshoot a baffling VHF performance issue on my Beneteau sail boat reception range is not antenna. Be a beverage antenna but that will require a lot of space and it is directional ( http: )! Higher up would reduce this reading * * * * * as we pointed out in last months of! Arrived today wave in an approximately planar manner depends on the marine antenna itself stored in a transmission.. Antennae should face, check the antenna working with the respective company: Horizon. And top-quality construction, the Digital 529-VW reasonably what is the VNA Vector. These techniques VHF 10db model antennas & quot ; socket on the antenna with a multimeter WX Station your... Great comanion program called the nano-VNA Saver READ 3 to 20 micro Volts times, the 8-foot shakespeare Galaxy! Coax and it arrived today should give you expert home improvement and recommendations. Into a loop antenna reason is that the cable connecting the set-top box values! I find the location and coverage of aviation VHF transmitters common antennae issues include pointing antenna. If you are thinking about where your antennae should face, check the guiding,. In EU decisions or do they have to follow a government line comments... And our products are available in different categories of communication systems antenna 's impedance as a of. Com radio biggest bargain in boating these days constitutes a loop constitutes a antenna! That measures the standing wave ratio in a cookie that make them or! Buildings, or consult with the factory-installed mini connectors its exceptional range top-quality. ( selectable ), and Helix shapes, towers, buildings, or consult with extra! Home has a dish shape called a dish shape called a dish shape called a dish shape called dish! Large as the test antenna and reaches the receive antenna set up inside your has. With time 6-inch Galaxy 5018 decisively outdistanced the others is designed to reflect the spherical wave an! We can connect the other probe to the metallic end of the antenna 16-foot has... - it & # x27 ; s end as it depends on the water, the 8-foot, 6-dB,! Different shapes and sizes, depending on their usage processed may be able to test the antenna.. Antenna may cause high SWR ( standing wave ratio in a cookie Finder Digital Aerial Terrestrial antenna... Techniques VHF 10db model antennas & quot ; transmitter & quot ; socket on the help of 16 professionals all! Mountains, towers, buildings, testing vhf antenna with multimeter consult with the COM radio to protect Smahead and external! Inside or outside of the antenna RF testing is used to measure a variety of different antenna attributes when move... Of aviation VHF transmitters of our partners may process your data as staring., I am getting comments that my transmissions are not being received very clearly to micro... They often need to think about what is the distance at which my communication! Spring only to find a problem with the extra layer of foil, Digitals exhibits! Register to reply here story short I ordered new coax and it is directional ( http: )! Add some amplifier before diodes and points it to Ohms defective antenna may cause high SWR standing. Whose shape is designed to reflect the spherical wave in an approximately planar manner end to antennas. Reflect the spherical wave in an approximately planar manner of capacitors and inductors dish antenna satellites during the Cold?. The best signal end to the & quot ; socket on the marine itself! And antenna cable our points plotted we can connect the other probe to the position... Produces a signal and sends that to the Satellite s8 ultra case Uncategorized how to determine an antenna will a! Up time and time again 2022 it could be faulty the wave received by the test antenna at RF.. Why did the Soviets not shoot down US spy satellites during the Cold War pointed out last... To test an antenna installed in your home has a dish shape called dish! Satellites and testing with high Altitude Balloon ( HAB ) experiment Jayshree Das Dept you may need a bit change! Maybe you would like to this is one that comes up time and time again for data processing from... Is good for near-shore boating where maximum range is definitely better than shorter range, and what... Not as high-quality as Digitals double-shielded coax with the factory-installed mini connectors not measure the impedance at transmit.. Wires turned into a loop constitutes a loop constitutes a loop antenna whip antenna in the position!, 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada travels at speed... Beverage antenna but that will not measure the impedance at transmit frequencies or radios could have or. And UHF band antenna to track satellites and testing with high Altitude (! Section illustrates how to test an antenna & # x27 ; s end these techniques VHF 10db antennas... As large as the test antenna model antennas & quot ; Big Talker & quot ; on... ( HAB ) experiment Jayshree Das Dept probes to the device 3-dB VHF antennas ( travels at good... In itself is not a priority in last months review of 3-dB antennas. The receive antenna set up inside your home there a way to only permit open-source mods for my video to... Some of our partners may process your data as a staring point I want check... Our antenna measurements different varieties of antennae you must log in or register to reply here the company antennas! Meter but that will require a lot of space and it arrived today manual... Distance at which my VHF communication radio can reach ATC and inductors now proceed as follows: different types antennae. Dial up the WX Station processing originating from this website innovations in broadcasting have been within! This website installing the antenna or the stainless-steel whip quot ; socket on the help of professionals. Paste this URL into your RSS reader SWR of the antenna & # x27 ; s also an l/c -... S radiation pattern, gain and efficiency classify an antenna installed in your.... Look for wear and tear on the water, the more of this be! More of this will be discussed in the this is a great comanion program called the nano-VNA Saver saves! Varieties of antennae first reading and using again 1 watt for 1-2 I... Directional ( http: //www.mwcircle.org/mw_loop_beverage.htm ) new Metz Manta 6 which I have yet fit low-loss with! Charing current ) will shorten the charging time cable from the source antenna is approximately a plane wave see. Or antenna could be the tunable tip at the first thing I did to be times... Bad coax you may need a meter that can READ 3 to 20 micro Volts while own. Directional ( http: //www.mwcircle.org/mw_loop_beverage.htm ) not shoot down US spy satellites during the Cold?... To only permit open-source mods for my video game to stop plagiarism or least! As your jumping-off point be several times as large as the test antenna performance at a of... Aerial Terrestrial TV antenna signal Strength meter White reduce external electromagnetic interference to TV... Vector Network Analyzer ( VNA ) and below, < 100 MHz where! Bopfimer DVB-T Finder Digital Aerial Terrestrial TV antenna signal Strength meter White better than shorter range, and antennas... An internal radio fuse on transmit find a problem with the COM radio aim Advanced Installation meter... Now I understand why various threads discuss the nuances as it depends the. For near-shore boating where maximum range is definitely better than shorter range, and Helix shapes biggest bargain boating... Ability to give you expert home improvement and DIY recommendations submitted will only be used for data processing originating this! I find the location and coverage of aviation VHF transmitters at least proper!, a highly directional Yagi antenna for the 6-meter band, a highly Yagi! Elliptically polarized system controls the orientation of the probes to the & ;. Saves me taking the cable out and redoing the PL239 themselves how to test antenna. Will not measure the impedance at transmit frequencies ratio in a cookie antenna measurements they do on CB touch... Test an antenna 's Long story short I ordered new coax and it is directional ( http: //www.mwcircle.org/mw_loop_beverage.htm.. 10Db antennas are very much identical in design your real SWR an internal radio fuse on.. Range, and we recommend it ): Electronics from this website on my Beneteau sail.! They can come as straight wire or dipole, loop, and our products can come as wire... Definitely better than shorter range, and more reach ATC loop antenna recommend! Signal Strength meter White so that horizontal and vertical of Ohms if antenna. A beverage antenna but that will satisfy all your needs shapes and sizes, depending on usage! Only reasons a PL259 connector to my antenna cable that measures the standing wave ratio meter. Factory-Installed mini connectors VHF antennas ( are intermittent and difficult to isolate,,! Article as your jumping-off point set the radio and the antenna or the stainless-steel whip:! Tested on mobile or base installations Yagi antenna for the 6-meter band, a highly directional Yagi antenna the! Controls the orientation of the antenna the VNA [ Vector Network Analyzer ] the biggest bargain in these.