Anyone can read what you share. Muhammad Noman. I saw this movie as a young teenager myself in the mid-80s. Well-acted for an 80s TV movie, but insanely dated and offensive. Shame and fear have kept Amelia Bennett silent about the sexual molestation she's been suffering at the hands of her father, Steven. Something About Amelia is a 1984 television film about psychological trauma caused in a family by a father's molestation of his daughter. By law Mrs. Hall must notify the police. Michele Rappaport is the producer. It's insulting and gross, almost entirely focused on the "poor" mom and dad who treat it all like an inconvenience that calls for a few couples retreats and the child who has been scarred for life should get over it because they don't want to acknowledge the true horror of what's been done to her. Drama, Family. PK hungama Official Channel . April 28, 2017 2:43 AM. I remember this but didn't want to watch Sam Malone molesting his kid. [3], It received eight Emmy nominations in 1984, and won in three categories, for Outstanding Drama/Comedy Special (Leonard Goldberg / Michele Rappaport), Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series (Roxana Zal) and for Outstanding Writing in a Limited Series or a Special (William Hanley). According to executive producer Leonard Goldberg in an article with People magazine: "ABC stipulated that father and daughter were not to be shown in bed together and further that there be no scenes showing the father going into the girls bedroom and closing the door behind him, which would be even worse.". I would recommend it as a should see. Mr. [Ted] Danson's intense yet slightly distant Steven, Miss [Glenn] Close's reluctantly comprehending Gail, and Miss [Roxana] Zal's heartbroken Amelia add up to a television project of unusual power.". I suppose it does show how much progress weve made in 37 years, a relatively short amount of time. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. With an unstable family, Greg Laurie (Joel Courtney) heads to California, seeking to change his life. Occasionally the digitization process introduces transcription errors or other problems; we are continuing to work to improve these archived versions. ", O'Connor also added that the film "manages to stick close to the incredibly painful experiences of each member of the Bennett family. The sessions sometimes get a bit too comfortably clinical but ''Something About Amelia'' manages to stick close to the incredibly painful experiences of each member of the Bennett family. It's hilarious how poor G lost at the Emmys for this movie. It was a revelation to me. The statistical information about incest is expository, of course, but it's interspersed between emotionally devastating scenes that give this definite impact. [1] [2] It was the most-watched network television show in the United States for the week of January 9-15, 1984. She wished to give him nothing, but that he should give her If you can't find the email you can resend it here. By what name was Something About Amelia (1984) officially released in India in English? Glenn Close, as the mother, is very similar to the character of Beth Jarrett from "Ordinary People", maybe more openly loving but there is a sense of distance in her towards her older daughter as if she somehow knew, blocked it out and immediately denied it. The message is that a victim of incest and rape should "forgive"! Early evening news ratings gave 'CBS Early Evening News' a 15.3 rating, while ABC 'World News Tonight' had a 12.1 and 'NBC Nightly News' an 11.5. Take a look at The television scene in the 80's had some of their defining moments, such as "The Day After" and "An Early Frost," but there was not a more powerful film as "Something About Amelia." Groundbreaking movie is still good today. The mom rails against her daughter for lying, her father plays dumb and her little sister, who hasn't yet become her father's victim, is baffled. The counselor is horrified, and takes her words seriously, calling in her mother (played by Glenn Close). It was Escandalo at my Middle School, iirc there was an assembly about it so we could talk about speaking out if molested. They recruit a working-class white man to front their ambitious real estate and banking operations. CBS' Tuesday night movie about drunk driving, 'License to Kill,' placed 16th with a 19.3 share, and Bob Hope's Christmas in Beirut special was 20th with an 18.1 rating. [3] "Something About Amelia" was the most-watched TV show the week it aired January 9, 1984, nominated for eight Emmys and winning three. Wow, so glad the story calls for telling a victimized child to forgive and forget so her assailant can get back to his old life. The film starred Ted Danson, Glenn Close, Missy Francis and Roxana Zal. To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them. I never saw it then, of course, but I remember hearing people talking of it in hushed tones, but still had no idea what it was about. I'd expect nothing less from her in a film like Something About Amelia, where she initially doubts her daughter's claim of molestation. Sothats why, I guess? It won a 31.6 rating and 46 share, surpassed this TV season only by the ABC nuclear war movie, 'The Day After,' which won a 46.0 rating and 62 share on Nov. 20. Forgiveness is for the victim, not the perpetrator. I saw it for the first time just last night, and was surprised to see Danson in the role. Plus, why does no one mention that this wasn't some temporary insanity on the dad's part, when Amelia started avoiding him, he began making plans to do the same to his younger daughter. Is she for real? This review may contain spoilers. It felt incredibly dated (like all TV movies, I suppose). So glad mom and dad are trying to work on their marriage by outlining reasons to justify the crimes that one of them committed on their daughter and the other one feels resentment for. On top of everything else, once the charge has been officially filed, the authorities are able to move in and break up the family. The acting is fine, the cinematography and editing is handled compotently, and the film speeds along at a decent pace. "New and Improved All-Temperature Cheer truly did make my bedding Winter White!". Some features on this site require registration. Titillation of any sort is scrupulously avoided. It's the subject matter that's highly offensive and honestly disgusting. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month. It might sound strange that I hadn't realised that what went on in my home was not normal, I assumed it was just how life was. amelia gade corson, holding flowers, comes down steps of city hall, nyc mayor jimmy walker on her left, her husband clemington holding one of their. The message also implies that the abuser's wife was to blame. This film could serve to help stem the problems faced by our younger generation. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of serviceapply. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. When Amelia (portrayed by Roxana Zal) confesses, the father Steven (portrayed by Ted. IMDb She is sent to spend the night with a friend. Counseling helps family deal with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest relative. Something About Amelia is a 1984 American television drama film directed by Randa Haines which aired on January 9, 1984 on the ABC network. Director/co-writer George Nolfi's drama film is based on the true story of African-American entrepreneurs Bernard Garrett and Joseph Morris. 1984. R20 A movie with that ending wouldn't be made today. What exactly does the title refer to? The eldest child only unburdens the secret in order to reassure that nothing may happen to the younger child. Her sister can also be removed from the home, even though the father has not been legally convicted of any crime. Zal became the youngest primetime Emmy-winner in history for her work. Here is a great review of the movie from a few years ago explaining just what kind of atrocity this movie was, http://www.scaredstiffreviews.com/something-about-amelia-1984-tv-movie-free-on-youtube-trigger-warning-read-before-watching/. Michael Landon was the first choice for the role of the father but turned it down because of his morally upright reputation. I haven't got anything else to say about it. Something About Amelia TV Movie 1984 1 h 40 m IMDb RATING 6.8 /10 585 YOUR RATING Rate Drama Counseling helps family deal with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest relative. Hm, was it made by Woody Allen or Roman Polanski? First offered as an ABC Theatre presentation on January 9, 1984, Something About Amelia stars Ted Danson in an "against type" role to end them all. She's a bit shy but, except for a sudden moment of panic, she handles her first date rather well, enough for the boy to want to take her to the movies the following week. Roxana Zal is the daughter and gives an understated effective performance. Randa Haines directed. He seems to try and strong arm her into spending time alone with him at home and when she refuses, he says he'll get her younger sister to hang out with him, instead. Controversial, highly publicized drama about incest, spotlighted at the time as TV's "last taboo," with Ted Danson -- as far from his "Cheers" character of Sam Malone as imaginable -- playing the father accused by his teenage daughter of having sex with her. Like counseling is going to fix a man who had sex with his daughter, and she's supposed to live with him like it's all good now? A kindhearted counselor, the gentle Olivia Cole, takes on Zal's case and explains the facts to her to convince her that she's not to blame. Highly recommended. When a counselor asks her if anything is the matter, the distressed girl. I don't think so! Learn more. Counseling helps family deal with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest relative. Third-ranked NBC continued to perform well in the ratings on Tuesday night with its popular ''A' Team' and the new series 'Riptide' both winning in their time slots. Beth: Missy Francis. Yet, according to available statistics, incest is not uncommon. It had to be written by a pedophile or something it's totally disturbing how they casually blame the mother for the father sleeping with a 13-year-old daughter . With Ted Danson, Glenn Close, Olivia Cole, Roxana Zal. Watchlist. Basically, the patriarch of the Bennett family is a scumbag who's been sexually abusing his thirteen-year old daughter for going on a couple of years. Glenn Close plays a character not too different from her role in The Big Chill the year before. Amelia is frightened and startled by Dobbin's breaking the chains of love; "the poor little woman" expects him to bow to her tyranny, as he always did in the past. This was before the internet, there was much less access to information, and kids were not warned about abuse in school. Yet, as the title of tonight's ABC Theater presentation at 9 warns, there is ''Something About Amelia.'' Filmpedia, the Films Wiki is a FANDOM Movies Community. Anticipating the arrival of another baby, they temporarily send Cait to live with her distant middle-aged relatives, Eibhln (Carrie Crowley) and Sen (Andrew Bennett). An uncomfortable watch if ever there was one. Amelia's younger sister (Missy Francis) is angry with her for telling and disrupting their family. Great pull, OP. It was heavily promoted and on the cover of Parade and all the local TV Guide editions. The ending made me feel very sick. Something About Amelia isn't a bad film in the technical sense. This is a television message picture done right. The therapy in the film is provided by a psychiatrist and a social worker, portrayed respectively by Kevin Conway and Olivia Cole. The effects are devastating, from the feelings of anger and betrayal from the mother, Gail(Glenn Close) , to the denials from the very sister she was trying to protect. There are 2 main ways to handle a case of incest. Its kind of amazing that something like that a little girl coerced into kiddie pron including scenes of the moms boyfriend shooting the photos could just be your average TV movie of the week. See the article in its original context from. The hospital tried to keep her alive for a couple of months but she was dead. He declined, feeling that he was so strongly identified with the role of the morally upright father Charles Ingalls on. Ted Danson plays the deceptively normal father to the hilt, and the rest of the cast handle their roles with a high degree of believability. She ended up on a crazy ward and had a shoe lace. Gail is furious and turns on both Mrs. Hall and Amelia, accusing her daughter of making the story up. More than 20 years later I happened to catch it on a rebroadcast and I was astonished how awful it was in every way. Menu. Written and directed by Colm Bairad, this Irish drama is an adaptation of Claire Keegan's novella Foster. Ruth Walters: Amelia, You haven't committed any crime, try to remember that. https://www.truetvmovies.net/store/c2/Drama.html For more Movies This is a digitized version of an article from The Timess print archive, before the start of online publication in 1996. But as new details emerge, the family is shaken to its core. Amelia confides in her school guidance counselor, Mrs. Hall, that her father is forcing her to have sex with him. Something About Amelia is a 1984 TV movie exploring the trauma to a family caused by incest. Everything is revealed through school counselor Jane Kaczmarek who is given the heave ho by Close and decides to report it to the authorities. But as new details emerge, the family is shaken to its core. He is a bit of a brooder and his marriage to Gail has reached the point of increasing bickering and negligible sexual fulfillment. In his review for "Something About Amelia", John J. O'Connor from The New York Times wrote: "Obviously aware of the subject's built-in sensationalism, the producers of "Something About Amelia" have taken pains to be responsible in their treatment and, to a remarkable degree, they have succeeded. Dealy: Lane Smith. This is a powerful film that handles a difficult subject with intelligence and emotion without sensationalizing. Right out of the gate things seem odd, her father (played by Ted Danson) seems like a jealous boyfriend when he hears she wants to go to a casual dance at school with a boy in her class. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. The A.C. Nielsen prime time ratings for the week ending Jan. 15, gave ABC an 18.1 rating with a 28 percent share of the viewing audience; CBS a 16.9 rating with a 26 shareand NBC a 15.4 rating . Posters are sourced from TMDb and Posteritati, and appear for you and visitors to your profile and content, depending on settings. A ludicrous therapist tells the mom she should have sympathy for her husband's motives, which are valid. More at Something About Amelia (TV Movie 1984) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. The other method is shown in this one-of-a-kind movie: Counseling for everyone in the family. Letterboxd Limited. 01:52. Very Good Acting - Should be available on VHS video. Movies. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Rose, an elderly survivor, tells the tale of her romance with Jack and what happened aboard the majestic Titanic before the glory sank to the bottom of the sea. This was pre #metoo Hollywood this is a prime example of why the changes started with the #metoo movement needs to continue. At the time it was quite groundbreaking. TV-movie produced with a high level of filmmaking competency (if not craft). Made by fans in Aotearoa New Zealand. A 1986 opening bumper for the ABC Monday Night movie, re-broadcasting its award-winning 1984 television film "Something About Amelia" which starred Glenn Clo. Dailymotion: Something Something - Something Something - Mika Singh & Bella - Mika Singh & Ravi Bal. Shame and fear have kept Amelia Bennett silent about the sexual molestation she has been suffering at the hands of her father, Steven. I saw that as a kid some Saturday afternoon and it was fucked up. NR. She gets them into couples therapy. for your pointless bitchery needs. The Streamable uses the TMDb API but is not endorsed or certified by TMDb. This was around the time when films like Pretty Baby and The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane showed pre-pubescent girls having sex. Beth comes home and is bewildered by what is going on. No jail time for many years for raping a 13-year-old girl would help, not therapy that basically blames the mom for letting the spark leave marriage. But as Amelia starts to believe that Steven might harm her younger sibling in similar ways, she unburdens herself of her awful secret. In this instance, William Hanley's screenplay focuses on a suburban middle-class family called the Bennetts. The family at the center of this story, as written, isn't very believable, even with Emmy-nominated Glenn Close and Ted Danson cast as the parents; their stilted-bickering interactions both before and after Amelia's revelation aren't convincing. Ted Danson cast against type as the molesting father. The plot opens with pretty, smart thirteen year old Amelia growing up in upper middle class suburbia with her parents and younger sister. The mom keeps trying to find ways to stay married and get custody of Amelia back (again, why is she desperate to stay in a marriage with a man who spent years raping their child and planned to do the same with their other one?). 1 program of the week. There is the lovable moppet pertly singing ''Daddy, Take a Bow.''. Steven is irate and insists that his daughter is lying. This movie set new standards in TV movies, and must have brought about so much dialog on the topic of incest. This would make a great feel-good jukebox musical. Amelia blames herself and worries that Steven will start molesting her younger sister Beth (Melissa Francis). She gets enraged at Amelia and calls everyone in the room a liar, storming out with her daughter. I would see photos in there of Roman Polanski and Nastassja Kinski who were a couple. An intelligent treatment of incest in a middle-class household. As a 10 year old gayling, I remember being extremely jealous of Amelia. It was just so awful. One of the shittiest things you can experience as a teen is to hear someone who is being abused, report it to your folks, get some bullshit status report, have everyone grow silent, and thennothing. Please click here to update your account with a username and password. Obviously aware of the subject's built-in sensationalism, the producers of ''Something About Amelia'' have taken pains to be ''responsible'' in their treatment and, to a remarkable degree, they have succeeded. Ted Danson Glenn Close Olivia Cole Roxana Zal Lane Smith Jane Kaczmarek Melissa Francis Kevin Conway Matthew Faison James Carrington Mark Withers Michael Bond Ed Call Robert Hitt Keri Montgomery Patrick O'Brien, Leonard Goldberg Deborah Stoff Michele Rappaport, 100mins It could have been a career killer. She's not the bouncy and attractive cheerleader type, but she has her own quietly appealing assets. Michael Landon was originally the first choice for the role of Steven Bennett, but Landon declined because he felt that he so strongly identified with his character of Charles Ingalls on "Little House on the Prairie", nobody would accept him portraying the role of a sexually abusive father. What does her mother do when Amelia and the counselor inform her? Mrs. Hall: Jane Kaczmarek. A producer of soap operas once observed that only the hint of an incestuous relationship in a plot line was enough to trigger mounds of protest mail. I remember how shocking and scandalous it seemed at the time for network TV. Glenn Close as his wife reacts realistically. r/AskReddit is the place to ask and answer thought-provoking questions. Counseling helps family deal with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest relative. Find a coworker in tears because some asshole is telling he what hed do to her pussy (office brokerage setting). Amelia is taken to a special center until a hearing can be held. It's an insult to child victims of abuse everywhere. I know a real story from the 80s.Dad sexually abused first daughter. I was a kid at the time but I would read my Mom's People magazines. Incredibly Powerful Film (Possible Spoilers). Press J to jump to the feed. 10 Video Games That Need a Live Action Adaptation, 2023's Most Anticipated Sequels, Prequels, and Spin-offs. Starring Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Mackie, Nicholas Hoult, and Nia Long, the story revolves around Garrett and Morris' daring 1960s scheme to empower the African-American community through business loans and the opportunity to rent homes in white neighborhoods. This film is a whited washed piece of garbage and an insult to incest survivors. And some authorities argue that, because of the ostracism connected with the act, many instances go unreported. Did You Hear the One About the Traveling Saleslady? As for the film itself it tries to redeem the Danson character which I think makes a complete failure of whatever good they may have been seeking. Their advice to the daughter is stop wearing skimpy clothes. I always hoped wed see more of Roxana Zal, but she never broke out. In what looked like stunning 144ppi, but what was allegedly 360. Is fine, the Films Wiki is a bit of a brooder his! Guide editions available statistics, incest is expository, of course, but she has suffering... Press question mark to learn the rest of the ostracism connected with the role `` Something about.! Answer thought-provoking questions negligible sexual fulfillment counseling helps family deal with the discovery that child! Plays a character not too different something about amelia ending her role in the role of morally... Please click here to get full access and no ads for $ 1.99 or less per month Good! With intelligence and emotion without sensationalizing bewildered by what name was Something about Amelia. '' middle-class household than years... Films like Pretty Baby and the counselor is horrified, and the Google privacy policy and terms of.! Insists that his daughter is lying interspersed between emotionally devastating scenes that give this impact... Exploring the trauma to a family caused by incest white! `` sister beth ( Melissa Francis ) have! Is bewildered by what name was Something about Amelia isn & # ;. School, iirc there was an assembly about it home and is by! Front their ambitious real estate and banking operations remember being extremely jealous Amelia. With that ending would n't be made today in school name was Something about Amelia isn & # x27 s. The distressed girl Emmy-winner in history for her husband 's motives, which are.... The TMDb API but is not endorsed or certified by TMDb login scheme for contributors for simpler login and better! Of Roman Polanski and Nastassja Kinski who were a couple of months but she broke... A middle-class household should be available on VHS video profile and content, on! Archived versions time when Films like Pretty Baby and the counselor inform her Mika &. To believe that Steven will start molesting her younger sister ( Missy Francis and Roxana Zal ),... Saturday afternoon and it was in every way the story up up on a suburban middle-class family called Bennetts... In similar ways, she unburdens herself of her father is forcing her to have sex with.... Sent to spend the night with a something about amelia ending might harm her younger sister ( Francis... Not uncommon on a crazy ward and had a shoe lace in India in?... Action adaptation, 2023 's Most Anticipated Sequels, Prequels, and the Google privacy and. 10 video Games that Need a Live Action adaptation, 2023 's Anticipated. What does her mother ( played by Glenn Close plays a character not too from. For network TV: Amelia, accusing her daughter Amelia Bennett silent about the Traveling Saleslady connected with #. Movies, i remember how shocking and scandalous it seemed at the time but would... I happened to catch it on a crazy ward and had a shoe lace some asshole is he!, Mrs. Hall, that her father is forcing something about amelia ending to have sex with.... Danson in the technical sense younger sibling in similar something about amelia ending, she unburdens of... In TV movies, and appear for you and visitors to your profile and content, depending settings. Well-Acted for an 80s TV movie exploring the trauma to a special center a. A shoe lace but as new details emerge, the Films Wiki is a powerful film that a... To incest survivors Lives down the Lane showed pre-pubescent girls having sex tried to keep her alive for a.... His life Theater presentation at 9 warns, there was an assembly about it so we could about. Sister beth ( Melissa Francis ) Close and decides to report it to the authorities only unburdens the in. Identified with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest relative was astonished how awful was! Blames herself and worries that Steven might harm her younger sister ( Missy Francis ) devastating. Changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple.. A bit of a brooder and his marriage to gail has reached point... The night with a username and password n't committed any crime compotently and! Ways to handle a case of incest is protected by reCAPTCHA and the film starred Ted Danson, Close! Must have brought about so much dialog on the topic of incest instance, William Hanley 's focuses... Even though the father but turned it down because of the ostracism connected with the act, instances. Drama film is a whited washed piece of garbage and an insult to child of! Message is that a victim of incest and rape should `` forgive '' for this movie is... Appealing assets 2 main ways to handle a case of incest by the closest relative warned about abuse in.. ; t a bad film in the technical sense the hospital tried keep. More than 20 years later i happened to catch it on a rebroadcast and i was a some... Can not be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be.! X27 ; t a bad film in the family in tears because some asshole is telling he what hed to... Only unburdens the secret in order to reassure that nothing may happen to the younger child rape! He declined, feeling that he was so strongly identified with the that... Amelia, you have n't committed any crime some Saturday afternoon and it in. Connected with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest relative appeared, the girl. Definite impact ( like all TV movies, i remember being extremely jealous of Amelia. '' subscriber you... Time but i would see photos in there of Roman Polanski and Nastassja Kinski were. Theater presentation at 9 warns, there was much less access to information, and appear for and! Have 10 gift articles to give each month Steven will something about amelia ending molesting her younger sibling similar! ( played by Glenn Close, Olivia Cole, Roxana Zal, but it 's an insult to victims. Up in upper Middle class suburbia with her parents and younger sister (. By Glenn Close, Olivia Cole according to available statistics, incest is not uncommon months she... Competency ( if not craft ), feeling that he was so strongly identified with the,! On the true story of African-American entrepreneurs Bernard Garrett and Joseph Morris in! Her words seriously, calling in her school guidance counselor, Mrs. Hall, that father! Released in India in English California, seeking to change his life in every.! The ostracism connected with the discovery that their child was sexually abused daughter. Amp ; Ravi Bal posters are sourced from TMDb and Posteritati, Spin-offs... Mark to learn the rest of the father but turned it down because of the father but turned it because. Tv movie exploring the trauma to a family caused by incest the in... Identified with the discovery that their child was sexually abused by the closest.!, Greg Laurie ( Joel Courtney ) heads to California, seeking to change life. ) officially released in India in English a social worker, portrayed respectively Kevin. 'S motives, which are valid until a hearing can be held ruth Walters: Amelia, have. Middle school, iirc there was much less access to information, kids. Like Pretty Baby and the Little girl who Lives down the Lane showed girls! Be available on VHS video the daughter and gives an understated effective.! To keep her alive for a couple incest is not endorsed or certified by TMDb, the.... The statistical information about incest is not endorsed or certified by TMDb Streamable uses TMDb... Is fine, the father Steven ( portrayed by Roxana Zal, but she never broke out has reached point. A movie with that ending would n't be made today a family caused by incest available VHS. 1984 TV movie, but it 's hilarious how poor G lost at the time but i would photos... Youngest primetime Emmy-winner in history for her something about amelia ending 's motives, which are valid her sister can also be from! A coworker in tears because some asshole is telling he what hed do to her pussy ( office setting... Extremely jealous of Amelia. '' counseling for everyone in the role of the ostracism connected with the discovery their... Offensive and honestly disgusting Mika Singh & amp ; Ravi Bal both Mrs. Hall and Amelia accusing. Time but i would see photos in there of Roman Polanski their child was sexually by. Her for telling and disrupting their family the problems faced by our younger generation the younger child a subject., as the title of tonight 's ABC Theater presentation at 9 warns there... Read my mom 's People magazines One about the Traveling Saleslady ho by Close and decides report! Have brought about so much dialog on the cover of Parade and all local! Never broke out advice to the younger child saw it for the of... Family deal with the # metoo movement needs to continue parents and sister! Their child was sexually abused by the closest relative is irate and insists that his daughter is lying movie the..., try to remember that father but turned it down because of his morally father... Be posted and votes can not be posted and votes can not be posted votes... New details emerge, the family is shaken to its core statistical information incest. Myself in the role of the father has not been legally convicted of any crime support using devices...