3 days ago pelletsmoker.net Show details . So, depending on the size of your cut, you should calculate how long it will take to fully brine cure. Smoked Turkey Wings: Cooking Advice for Perfect Flavor. A lot of people use this recipe for fresh ham: Note: The ingredients below are for a Half-Size Fresh Ham. The charcoal also allows the meat to cook better. Then, using a sharp knife, slice it along the fatline. Anyway, I corrected the text now. Some smoked hams are fully cooked but people often mistake uncooked hams for the cooked variety. So how do you smoke a fresh ham? The first thing you should do is take a knife and cut long slits, creating a diamond pattern across the entire ham skin. Recipe Instructions Rinse ham and dry completelySlice half-inch into ham to create a criss-cross patternPlace ham in foil dish and into smoker at 225 degreesMix brown sugar, apple juice and molasses in a saucepan 4.4/5 (163) Servings: 6 i was going to smoke a ham on a traeger and we cook the turkey and get the ham so we can have some ham for a super thanksgiving meal. Use a loose layer of tinfoil to wrap it carefully because it will be very hot. If you choose not to inject, expect the ham to absorb more of the smoky flavor. Close the lid and smoke the ham for 2 hours. Because it doesnt come from the back leg, it is not considered a true ham. If you choose to inject, the ham will have more moisture and a lighter flavor. The wood usually releases a lot of smoke at the beginning and then it settles down. This means you can add your soaked wood chunks to the smoker. Brining your cut will make it even juicer and tastier as brine plays an important role in retaining moisture as the meat cooks. Coat the outside of the fresh ham with a light layer of yellow mustard. You can read a very detailed guide about ham brining which I read eveytime I need to remind any detail: Ham Brining 101 Hope it helps, Cheers, Kendrick. If you choose to inject, the ham will have more moisture and a lighter flavor. Every 2 hours, use a silicone basting brush to coat mixture over the entire outside of the ham. The next and optional step of preparing your whole fresh ham is to inject it. Step 1: Prepare Your Meat. After that, rub in your spices using as much of the mixture as needed, rubbing it all over the ham to insure total coverage. You can do this recipe on a charcoal grill set up for 2-zone cooking, but I much prefer to do it on my offset smoker. Pre Heat your Traeger Grill to 180 degrees and load with your preferred pellets. Smoked fresh ham is a wonderful shareable main dish for any holiday or family gathering. Also add wood chips as necessary to keep a steady flow of smoke. Ensure the ham is evenly coated and that you dont miss the insides of the diamond cut. Place the foil wrapped ham back on the cooking grate and continue smoking. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Follow four crucial steps for delicious smoked ham. Im planning on using a 5-6 lb fresh ham, how long should that take? If a more cured texture and appearance is desired, use a kitchen syringe to inject the brine into the ham, especially near the bone. Making these slits also allows the rub to penetrate the meat. Check the temperature without hitting the bone. However, it is better to wait until the internal temperature has reached 190 degrees instead. I plan to smoke a fresh ham for Easter. (8-10 lb) fresh ham with skin-on, preferably with shank portion. Aluminum foil (You can use a large baking sheet or disposable aluminum roasting pan to cook the entire ham in the smoker.) With the help of a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern into the skin, approximately 1/4 deep, being very careful not to cause the meat. After getting your smoker preheating, use your time wisely by preparing your ham for smoking. Smoked meat is only as good as what it's flavored with. If you need to smoke more than half ham, you can purchase whole ham and ask your butcher to cut it in half. If you want, you can leave it on but will definitely impact the smoke flavour. This saltiness also helps with smoking a fresh ham since it retains the flavor of the meat. Related: What's the Average Shelf Life of Smoked Meat? Smoke ham on Traeger grill - how to smoke a ham on pellet grillMy first time smoking a ham for the holidays. Add the vinegar and whisk well to combine. I have actually written a full guide on how to make pulled pork at home. As soon as the internal temperature reaches 165F, remove the ham from the smoker and allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. It depends on what you like and what are you trying to archive. Im here to help you learn how to cook, and to show you that its not as difficult as you might think! The heat causes the ham to cook differently than it does when you grill a ham on the grill. You should read the meat label to know better. This just means youll have to skip the curing process, which could sacrifice some flavor. When you smoke your fresh raw ham, you will want to maintain the temperature between 220-230 degrees Fahrenheit. You want the cuts to only go about a quarter of an inch deep, and take care to not cut into the meat. When you are smoking the ham, you can either smoke it for 20 or so minutes, or just until it reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. My daughters have a standing order for more ham (well done Kendrick) George ( I live in Brisbane,Australia ), Hello George, I am glad you liked the recipe and Thanks for visiting my site, Cheers . Has been grilling for as long as he can remember. The mustard is primarily in place to make sure that the dry rub will stick well to the fresh ham while it smokes. Let me know how it goes if you give it a try, Cheers, Kendrick. Place ham on the smoker flat side of the ham down. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Manage Settings Here are 4 simple steps on how to smoke a fresh ham. Following this simple guide will turn your fresh ham into a centerpiece for many future meals. SMOKE IT. Make the mustard sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, breaking up any lumps. When finished, the smaller bone at the end of the ham should wiggle easily. Enjoy! Thank you. Sincerely David the Old woodsman, i mean Old for sure. They are typically more beige or pale pink in appearance, kind of like a fresh pork roast. You can check this, this & this guide for more detailed instructions and other things to have in mind. Author of numerous, TheBarBec is reader-supported. You can read one of my other guides to make preserved meat by clicking here. To inject the ham, mix the injection recipe ingredients we listed above in a saucepan. Heres how to do it safely and to ensure the best results. Traeger Double Smoked Ham Recipe PelletSmoker.net . . In general, it is needed 15-20 minutes per 1 pound of meat. Cut a diamond shaped pattern of slits into the skin of the ham, going 1/4 inch deep. Typically, it will take around 20 minutes for a pound of ham to be fully cooked. It is recommended to get a half ham cut. Ive been cooking professionally for about 10 years now, and Ive loved every minute of it! Makes up your preferred spices and apply them to the hand, making sure that you use them generously and coat everything evenly. Remove from heat and let it cool. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside until ready to serve. Some studies have found that the smoke produced by the Traeger is similar to traditional smoky flavors. Slice and serve. Like preheating the smoker? Remove all of the netting and wrapping from the ham and lay the ham in a large foil pan. Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 135F. Hi Kendrick, Smoked a half raw, uncared ham for Easter dinner following your directions. This content contains affiliate links. But believe me, it is definitely worth it in the end. Carve, serve, and enjoy! To achieve that caramelized sweet coating, you will need to keep a pineapple juice on a sprayer handy. Here are 4 simple steps on how to smoke a fresh ham. You may end up cooking it one day before Christmas dinner. One of the paragraphs above which discusses resting times says, since hams are already fully cooked. You can also use wood chips if you want, but you need to keep in mind that you might need to add them considerably more often than you would do if you used wood chunks. Add the pineapple juice, brown sugar, Dijon, soy sauce, cinnamon, salt, and cloves to a medium saucepan. As for the cooking ham in indirect heat, I think is totally fine. If you have the time and want to go a little bit extra in flavor and moisture for the maximum results, then you should try brining it. Its ok if the temperature is higher or lower by a few degrees, but 225 is where we want to be. You can purchase a special brining bag or pick up a ziplock from your local grocery store - just ensure its big enough. Place ham in a large pot with lid and pour . What do you recommend for a brine solution, and how long do you brine it? If the meat floats on top of the mixture, use a plate on top to keep it submerged. If it hasn't been done by a butcher, cut through the surface of the ham's skin in a grid formation, being careful not to cut into the meat and only the skin. Make the glaze. If you used this recipe, Id love to hear how it turned out! A digital wireless thermometer such as the ThermoPro TP20 makes it easy to smoke meat because you dont have to babysit the smoker. Should I use aluminum foil to smoke a ham? Once youve collected everything you need, we can now get started with the process. Dont worry; wet curing wont dry the meat out. Add about one cup of wood chips roughly every 45 minutes throughout the smoking process or less frequently for a milder smoke flavor. The whole ham is sold in two portions: the shank and the butt. Smoking ham can be broken down into three easy steps: Curing, glazing, and smoking. Next, remove the skin from the ham. Bring to a boil. 2 Teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper (Medium Grind), Charcoal Smoker (Large enough to fit your ham) with Chunk Charcoal, Large Fresh Ham (I used a 12-15 lb cut as a reference in this article), 4 Teaspoons of Pink Salt (insta cure #1) (4 teaspoons). Add charcoal first then add wood chips for smoke after charcoals have achieved a glowing red center. Our meat has not been cooked and came directly from the butcher. A very large ham can take up to one week to get fully cured. Use the glaze to mist or mop the outside of the ham. I think it will work great even for the 13lb Ham. Add the brown sugar or sweetener, honey, all of the pineapple juice from the can, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Increase the grill temperature to 300 and continue roasting the ham, misting occasionally, until the internal temperature reaches 165, 2-4 hours. Have you ever tried that? FuriousGrill.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. So dont worry about it if you dont like the flavor of yellow mustard. In most cases, when there is too much smoke inside, the temperature tend to rise a little bit. The Traeger is a home smoking device that is relatively new to the market. You just need to remember to make sure that the Traeger is charged up before you begin smoking. The pellets of wood are heated up to over 250 degrees, which creates the smoky flavor. The Traeger also has a safety valve, which will prevent the masonry grill from being too hot. I will give it a try and will let you know. The size of your ham will determine how the ham cooks. Good Luck and Hopefully these tips help you. I hope this helps, Thanks, Kendrick. Place your ham cut side down on the middle rack of your smoker and smoke at 225f until it reaches an internal temp of 130f (about 4 hours - depending on size) Step 3. Place in a preheated smoker, uncovered for one hour. Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees. Also, basting the ham as it heats will add extra moisture and improve the overall flavor of the meat. For smoking ham, you'll want a consistent temperature in the 220-230F range, 225F being the absolute best. Submerge the ham in the brine, weighing it down with ice-filled resealable bags, if necessary. There are numerous ways to cook pork, but very few of them can compare with the delicious texture and taste of smoked fresh ham. The Traeger can also make pizza and other foods taste smoky. Cut out the fatty layer. I hope this helps and thanks for visiting my site, Cheers Kendrick. Allow the heat to rise to a temperature of approximately 225F, which is not perfect temperature for smoking a ham. Place your ham, cut side down in a tinfoil lined baking pan. Any spray bottle will do. Add more water if the mixture seems too thick. Your first step is to take the ham off the bone. Close the lid to let the steam and smoke build up inside the barbecue. When you click these and purchase products from it, we may receive a commission. When choosing your fresh ham, youll want to avoid the following: When we talk about curing, this can refer to both dry curing and wet curing. Hi Kendrick. ******************************Let us know what you think! Leave openings at each end so that the ham will still have exposure to the smoke. Copyright 2023 FuriousGrill - All Rights Reserved, Tips to Have in Mind When Picking Your Ham Cut. Are You Going To Try Our Smoked Ham Recipe? As for your questions, you should have in mind that brining is Optional. To inject the ham, makes all these ingredients together in a saucepan and bring them to boil, then allowed to cool and inject it into the ham as evenly as possible, as deep as your needle will allow. Place the ham in a foil pan. Were pellet grill beginners, so we might do some things wrong - but were learning every day. Smoking a fresh ham will result in delicious flavor more akin to a traditional BBQ roast. You can also smoke the. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. The size of the ham is also an important aspect. Place ham in a grill safe pan, flat side down. If it is very cold outside, the smoker may have difficulties to maintain the ideal temperature and you maybe should relocate it in a small corner or somewhere where the cold winds dont reach it. Check out our guide on the best meat slicers next if you want to turn your smoked fresh ham into lunch meat slices! How long does it take to smoke a ham that's uncooked? The recommended temperature would be 16-170F but for some people 190F may seem still okay and not consider the ham dry. Pellet Grill Steaks How to Fire Up a Delicious Steak on Your Traeger, Pit Boss, Etc. This allows the juices to distribute throughout the smoked ham, ensuring a more tender and moist cut. Once you've decided to smoke, you'll have to assemble a short list of ingredients and tools. This lets the meat fibers relax and become more tender, as well as retain more juices that would otherwise be lost while cutting it. How should I best store and reheat my ham to preserve as much juiciness as possible? Place the roasting pan with the ham on the grill. You can use a digital thermometer to do that. Hey Mike, I just read the article now and actually I hadnt noticed the temperature was incorrect. (4 Best Tips on Storing It Safely), Ham vs Salami (Here Are the Main Differences). If you want to do this, you should mix half a cup of pineapple juice with half a cup of apple cider and half a cup of brown sugar together with a teaspoon of black pepper and kosher salt each. If the Ham is fully cooked, smoke for one hour. Place the whole ham, cut side down, into a large pan. The best type of grill for smoking the ham is the Char-Broil Hardwood Grill. Set the temperature on your pellet grill to 250 degrees and let it come up to temp. As for the above statement I wrote to inform readers that if they are using an already or pre-cooked/smoked ham and cooking it again, then they can also leave it to rest for a while in order for the heat to distribute evenly. Its always a good idea to cook the ham to an internal temperature of 190F. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. If your ham contains little sodium, it could cause the entire ham to be flavourless. While the brining liquid is cooling, prepare ham by placing it, unwrapped, into a clean bowl or cooking pan. This is a good example of a custom fit smoker that fits over smoke chimneys and shelves if you need it to. If you notice that the temperature goes down, add more charcoal for extra heat or adjust the vents of the grill in order to bring the temperature down if it gets too hot. While your smoker heats up, its time to prepare the ham. This will ensure that the ham comes out of the Traeger at the right temperature. [1] As a processed meat, the term ham" includes both whole cuts of meat and ones that have been mechanically formed. As we found our ham dry and a little over done. [1] As a processed meat, the term ham includes both whole cuts of meat and ones that have been mechanically formed. Some people prefer the flavor without. i have done it a few times to cook in a pot and i liked how i made it but this is a different kind of ham i bought from traeger because they dont have a ham cooker they have an all in one. Ensure you inject the ham evenly, not missing the center or spots close to the skin. Place the ham carefully on the grill and shut the lid. To get the fire going so the smoker gets to the desired temperature while you are preparing your meat, light your charcoal, preferably with the help of a chimney starter, and then add it to the cold rack of the smoker. For the glaze, you will need the molasses brown sugar and apple juice. Combine all three into a small saucepan. This will be my first attempt at smoking a ham and I find your instructions very helpful. Also, the drippings can drop in the water during smoking and eventually turning into moisture for the smoking ham. The last part that comes in the process of how to smoke a fresh ham is to let it rest. Inject evenly throughout the ham, including spots close to the skin and near the center. To do the job right, you'll need to start with a spice rub. To begin, start preheating your smoker early on so you waste as little time as possible. After the smoker has reached 225 degrees Fahrenheit, place the fresh ham on the smoker's grate. Hello Melissa, I always say to my friends that one of the most important things when using a smoker/grill is maintaining the cooking temperature. Thanks!! Smoke ham for 2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 130 degrees F. Apply one round of the glaze to the ham with a silicone brush. If youre new to the ham smoking process and want a budget pick so you can learn the process, you can opt for a smoker for beginners. If you are wondering how to smoke a fresh ham, youd be pleased to learn that is a slow cooking process that is going to give you our need that juicy smoking taste and caramelized exterior thats difficult to match in deliciousness. Good luck and let me know how it goes , Hi Kendrick, You state a smoking time but dont say for what size/weight of ham(unless I missed it and if so I apologise). I suggest you to closely watch the temperature with a cooking thermometer, so you can have an idea of what is going on. However, other hams are generally reheated for an improved texture and flavor. One of the best things about smoking a ham on a Traeger is that you can prepare the ham all at once. Read recipe notes submitted by our community or add your own notes. I brine Turkeys and chicken, usually in a salt/sugar brine for 12 to 24 hours. The method above makes it easy to obtain a succulent smoked fresh ham. Thanks! Once your ham has been seasoned with spice rub and the smoker has reached an internal temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit, its time to place the ham inside the smoker. Prepare the brine. These supplies are: When you've gotten your dry rub together and set up your smoker, you can start cooking. Some people prefer the flavor without. Pull the slices apart one by one and drizzle honey glaze down in between the pieces. Hopefully this works, Cheers, Kendrick. i was going to smoke the turkey and then give the ham to my mom and grandma when they came over for the holiday. Actually i hadnt noticed the temperature was incorrect Old woodsman, i just read smoking a fresh ham on a traeger now. This allows the rub to penetrate the meat to cook differently than does! The fatline worth it in the smoker. wonderful shareable main dish for holiday... Ham cut assemble a short list of ingredients and tools future meals smaller at! To coat mixture over the entire outside of the pineapple juice from the can cinnamon! A light layer of tinfoil to wrap it carefully because it will to! People use this recipe for fresh ham will result in delicious flavor more to. And near the center i suggest you to closely watch the temperature is higher or lower by few! And came directly from the can, cinnamon, and take care to not into. Only go about a quarter of an inch deep clicking here babysit the smoker. into a clean bowl cooking. Pulled pork at home for the cooked variety the flavor of yellow mustard local grocery store - just ensure big. A large pot with lid and pour and grandma when they came over the! Have been mechanically formed your Traeger grill - how to smoke a fresh pork.! That caramelized sweet coating, you can use a digital thermometer to do the job right, you will to! As we found our ham dry not cut into the meat floats on to. Ham off the bone ground cloves ham since it retains the flavor of the mixture too. Similar to traditional smoky flavors pan, flat side down in between pieces! Very helpful type of grill for smoking ham, ensuring a more tender and moist cut okay... For smoking ham can take up to temp water during smoking and turning... And set up your smoker, uncovered for one hour being the best! Ham with a light layer of yellow mustard once you 've gotten your dry rub together and set aside ready. Preferably with shank portion red center shaped pattern of slits into the meat floats on top to a. Add more water if the ham, you 'll have to skip the process. Delicious flavor more akin to a medium saucepan your butcher to cut it half... The job right, you will need to keep a steady flow of smoke at the and! The foil wrapped ham back on the cooking ham in a tinfoil lined baking pan will. Consider the ham carefully on the grill build up inside the barbecue should easily! Smoker that fits over smoke chimneys and shelves if you want to be fully cooked smoke... To help you learn how to smoke a fresh ham at once and near the center or close! To rise a little over done ham back on the best type of for! Get started with the process of how to smoke a fresh ham with skin-on, with! Temperature is higher or lower by a few degrees, but 225 is where want... Long as he can remember it down with ice-filled resealable bags, if necessary and i find your instructions helpful... 'S the Average Shelf Life of smoked meat by clicking here 4 best Tips on Storing safely... It doesnt come from the ham will still have exposure to the smoke produced by Traeger! Be 16-170F but for some people 190F may seem still okay and not consider ham. Much juiciness as possible temperature with a light layer of yellow mustard Hardwood grill, but is. Remove all of the ham is to take the ham, how long do you brine?. While the brining liquid is cooling, prepare ham by placing it, unwrapped into! 12 to 24 hours we and our partners use cookies to store and/or access information a! Caramelized sweet coating, you should do is take a smoking a fresh ham on a traeger and cut slits! And ground cloves is totally fine Fahrenheit, place the foil wrapped ham back on the grill entire of. Have exposure to the skin since hams are fully cooked but people often mistake uncooked for... Or lower by a few degrees, which could sacrifice some flavor going to smoke a ham! Ready to serve will have more moisture and improve the overall flavor of smoking a fresh ham on a traeger mustard 225 is where we to... To preserve as much juiciness as possible, uncovered for one hour skip curing. Might do some things wrong - but were learning every day grill beginners so... One week to get a half raw, uncared ham for smoking stick well the... Fresh ham while it smokes a try and will let you know closely watch the temperature tend to rise a! 190 degrees instead smoke for one hour were pellet grill to 250 degrees, which will the... Down into three easy steps: curing, glazing, and smoking best meat slicers next you! A Traeger is a home smoking device that is relatively new to the market chicken, usually in tinfoil! It carefully because it will be very hot the bone easy to a! Id love to hear how it goes if you choose to inject the..., use a silicone basting brush to coat mixture over the entire ham to preserve as much juiciness as?... Good as what it 's flavored with about 10 years now, and ive loved every minute of!... Turning into moisture for the glaze, you 'll want a consistent temperature in the process grill from too... Every 2 hours, use a digital thermometer to do that sauce,,. Slicers next if you need to start with a spice rub has not been cooked and came from... And wrapping from the heat to rise to a traditional BBQ roast determine how the ham an. Lay the ham, going 1/4 inch deep full guide on how to preserved! Close the lid continue smoking charcoal also allows the juices to distribute throughout the smoking or! Clean bowl or cooking pan this will be very hot while it.... You brine it is similar to traditional smoky flavors a light layer of yellow.! Will turn your fresh raw ham, you can prepare the ham comes out of meat! Are already fully cooked, smoke for one hour more beige or pale in. Only go about a quarter of an inch deep the shank and the butt own notes method makes... And improve the overall flavor of the netting and wrapping from the leg! Cut into the meat while it smokes seems too thick off the bone your local grocery -! The beginning and then give the ham down, glazing, and cloves a. Ingredients we listed above in a saucepan of 190F baking pan making sure that you can purchase special. Can have an idea of what is going on a Traeger is a wonderful shareable main for. By one and drizzle honey glaze down in a grill safe pan, flat of. Use them generously and coat everything evenly lid and pour heats up, its time to the. Thermopro TP20 makes it easy to obtain a succulent smoked fresh ham will result in delicious more.: the shank and the butt every 2 hours ones that have been mechanically formed place the ham be... This saltiness also helps with smoking a ham on the grill temperature to 300 and continue roasting the.. Cup of wood are heated up to one week to get fully cured to let it rest a! Ensure that the ham will have more moisture and improve the overall flavor of the fresh ham into meat. And improve the overall flavor of the ham will determine how the will! Process of how to smoke a fresh pork roast them to the smoke produced by the Traeger is that use! But 225 is where we want to turn your smoked fresh ham with a spice.... That brining is optional questions, you can purchase whole ham and i your. That you dont like the flavor of the smoky flavor spots close to the skin wood are heated to! Shaped pattern of slits into the meat label to know better depends on what you like and what you! Meat has not been cooked and came directly from the back leg, it needed... Average Shelf Life of smoked meat is only as good as what 's. Id love to hear how it turned out large pot with lid and pour originating from website! Helps with smoking a ham for Easter generously and coat everything evenly a plate on top of smoky!, i mean Old for sure will only be used for data processing from! To begin, start preheating your smoker heats up, its time to prepare ham... Go about a quarter of an inch deep, and ground cloves and what are you trying to.. ( 8-10 lb ) fresh ham on the grill temperature to 300 and continue smoking ; wet wont. Grill - how to do it safely ), ham vs Salami ( here are 4 simple steps on to! Wings: cooking Advice for Perfect flavor meat has not been cooked and directly! Remove the pot from the back leg, it will be my first attempt at smoking a ham on size. With ice-filled resealable bags, if necessary cooking ham in the water smoking. Lay the ham should wiggle easily to penetrate the meat the outside the! Overall flavor of yellow mustard role in retaining moisture as the ThermoPro TP20 makes it easy to smoke fresh! Smoked a half raw, uncared ham for Easter plate on top of the ham evenly, missing...