It is 11 13/16 inches in overall length, and weighs 35 ounces. by a gunsmith. 68,168 views Jul 31, 2016 A Brief rundown of my 2 Ruger single Sixes. He didnt own many guns but he loved the few he had and he passed that passion on to me along with his guns. Magnum Cal.? When the time comes, Ill pass it down to my next of kin. One of my spookiest moments as a parent came about in a pick-your-own blueberry field we were working near Canton, Texas. You have to visualize the plastic track inside the grip and slide it on at a fairly severe angle at first. 22 rimfire is the only firearm caliber that is allowed for hunting feral hogs at this time. As the Game and Fish Commission representative hung up the phone, so began my impossible quest for the best .22 rimfire hunting sidearm I could find to back up my bow in pig country. Buy the 3-screws models when the deal is right, otherwise, buy the new ones. My 10-22 is actually boring it does so well with most ammo at 100 yards. The Old Model Blackhawk I used for this review was made in 1967. I find that, even with the conversion, this is one of the most accurate guns I have ever fired. Pull the firing pin out of the frame. But they feel like a cheap knockoff from a third world country. Grip Frame Screw/Pivot Lock (stainless), Ruger. Bear with me while I attempt to back that statement up! With a range of velocity from 600 to 1,800 fps, the .357 Magnum is a versatile caliber. Ruger new model single six new factory parts. .. The name 3 Screw is in reference to the 3 Screws on the side of the frame. Raccoons, foxes, bobcats? It is 1966 vintage; comes with both cylinders, which match serial numbers; and has the original wood grips. I may be too picky, but a "restored" old model single action with the retrofit mark will not be the same value to me as an old model without the mark in the original condition it was in when it left the factory.". a ruger single six is an essential firearm. The new models have 2 pins. Next post: Exclusive: Interview with Donald Rumsfeld. I have a bit of an inner redneck, 7th generation Arkansan will do that, and have been know to walk through the woods shooting random things. I bought it, and discovered some assembly issues, so it went back to sort out some stripped screws. Had Ruger put the rear scope mount on the top strap where it belongs, it would be a whole different ballgame. Solid primer strikes and no failures whatsoever with all the ammo brands Ive used. This year the bow deer season aligns with an any-caliber centerfire season. Decorative, unfluted cylinder displays a rollmark with a bear and cougar design. Price: $795.00 Ruger Handgun - Single-Six, 22 LR, 5 1/2 inch barrel, 3 screw, flat loading gate, made in 1956. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. As a high school student, I purchased a used Ruger Blackhawk revolver in .38/.357 in the mid 70s (it and a Mossberg 500 pump ($99) were the first two guns I could afford). Once upon a time, I owned a Single Six, a .357/9mm, a Super Blackhawk and a .45 Colt/.45 ACP. I use mine for squirrels. The Single-Six was first released in June 1953. The Single Six did outperform the Mark II in my accuracy test, but the venerable Mark II was much better balanced and comfortable even with a comparable 6 7/8 barrel. The two piece grips are smooth rosewood with sliver and black Ruger medallions. Used only the .22lr cylinder (no win mag on the shelves here for months). Single Sixes are offered in blue, satin stainless steel, and gloss stainless steel finishes, and with barrels of 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 9 1/2 inches in length. If something was to hit the hammer hard enough, or the gun was dropped, it could discharge. 9mm Pistol, Gun Review: Taylors & Company TC9 1873 SA Single Action Revolver, Classic Gun Review: Marlin Model 39 .22 Lever Action Rifle, http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/paco-kelly%E2%80%99s-acu%E2%80%99rzr-bullet-tool/. Hogue Monogrips are definitely an improvement over the stock laminate grips. It is one of the few guns from my fathers collection I have kept and hope to pass on to one of my grandsons some day. They just feel better. Ergo, you might find (as you did in your groups above) that the .22 WMR shoots tighter groups than .22LR out of that barrel. At one point he sent it in to Ruger to have a 9MM cylinder fitted for it. The Single Six and Mark II groupings undoubtedly reflect my questionable handgunning skills. As the supply of affordable long-barreled revolvers has dried up (S&W no longer lists the 8 3/8barrel 686), the Silhouette rules (in Australia at least) have been changed to allow revolvers to be fitted with barrels that match the length and profile of an original production pistol. Model: Ruger New Model Single Six Hunter It's being offered in three barrel lengths: 4.63, 5.5, and 7.5 inches. . I was going to complain that I didnt get the traditional yellow Ruger cloth that the semi-auto folks send out, but when I pulled the pistol from the bag, I realized they had swapped out my generic black plastic grips for the wood ones that normally come on the higher-end model. Dont leave the Single Six out of the 3 screw/2 screw story. Shooters, collectors and gun historians categorize all Ruger single-action revolvers, including rimfire and centerfire models, as Old Models and New Models. Bought the hogue grips as well. Last week I picked up a nice three screw Single Six, the version with adjustable sights. Opening the loading gate retracts the cylinder bolt, allowing the cylinder to turn for loading. I would like to hear from you if you have this gun. Given time, I can shoot tight groups with it at 25 or even 50 feet. The MTS-255 shown there would be perfect. I do have a Ruger unconverted 3 screw Super Blackhawk. Single Six 22LR / 22Mag / 6 inch barrel prefix 20-xxxxx, I bought it new late 60s for $50+, I really enjoyed shooting rats and cans at the dump with this gun. I have found no evidence of it having a trigger or action job. 1970 non converted, flat top, 3 screw, pre-warning, ruger, single six, convertible 22lr-22mag, six shot revolver description: this is a non converted, flat top, 3 screw, pre-warning, ruger, single six, convertible 22lr-22mag, six shot revolver made in 1970 the bore on the 5-1/2" barrel is bright, shiny and 80% the blue finish is 88% In .22 Magnum, that gun preferred Winchester Super-X 40 grain JHP's. The rules arent for pigs per see, they are for whatever the in season game is. They replaced the cylinder, trigger, and hammer. For self defense purposes only, of course. Also 357Mag / 9mm 6 inch barrel prefix 30-xxxxxx, I bought it used early 70s for $100+ from a co-worker who needed money. It was a very pretty gun, and probably the most accurate Single Six I have ever owned. There are three cylinders in which they will fit with heavy pressure, three that will not seat at all. $129.99. Home Gun Parts Jimenez Arms; Marlin / Glenfield; Mossberg; North American Arms; Remington; . my go-to survival, trunk, bugout piece is a ruger single eight, a gently used single six that came to me cheap. I always carry a 10mm sidearm with a spare mag in pig country. Good grief. My CCI .22lr stingers do not seat fully in the .22lr cylinder. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Dropped it where it stood. You Save: $75.00 (9 %) Ruger Old Model Single Six Revolver Siberian Mammoth Ivory Grips. echoes our commitment to these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and I have one in .45lc and I love it ! The sights were the standard Ruger adjustable type and I had them zeroed to hit dead on at 25 yards. The grip did not fit my average sized hands well at all. The old coiled hammer spring remains, but the new trigger spring is a music wire spring in a sort of "U" shape. It is great to carry in the woods on camping and hunting trips. Ah, I beg to differ. included in this set are: -loading gate (Single Six) with plunger, spring, and screw. I was born January, 1966 and when I was 10 years old, my dad taught me to shoot on a 3 three screw FLATTOP .357 4 5/8 inch barrel. Note: A full length review of a New Model Ruger Single Six Convertible revolver can be found on the Product Reviews page. The Ruger Single Six is a single action revolver that came with 2 cylinders. Ruger, Model 6 Shot Revolver, 22 Caliber, Parts, Ejector Housing, plate, screws, springs, mag catch, trigger $ 80.00 Add to cart; Ruger P89 9MM pistol parts, pins and spring $ 15.00 Add to cart; AMT, Model Backup, 380 Caliber, Parts, Magazine Latch $ 18.00 Add to cart; Ruger Single Six "Model F, Three Screw" Revolver Parts: Rear Sight. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! You raise great points. The same basic gun is also available in satin stainless steel (KNR6). Certainly my personal experience with the breed has been positive. I won and still have the gun. thank you. Carefully lift the recoil spring guide rod off the frame. Grips were checkered hard rubber with a black eagle medallion inlay on each side. With the hammer in the forward position, the loading gate is opened and the cylinder can full rotate. The balance on that pistol was ideal, the trigger seemingly match grade, and with .22 WMR more accurate than moi. No real explanation of why, but I did get a call from them. Colt had ceased production of the Single Action Army at the beginning of World War II and there was no indication that it would be back anytime soon. Once thats done, you can rotate the grip in place with a lot of wiggling and cussing. .22 for feral Hog? $499.99 View Site. Sturm, Ruger & Co. manufactured the original Single-Six single action (in various forms), from 1953 until 1973. I also have a Ruger Single SIx Hunter (which I love) and purchased the Hogue Monogrips model 83000 per Hogues recommendation. The used value of a RUGER SINGLE SIX pistol has fallen ($9.26) dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $543.45 . Is my gun a Flat top or not. Im trying to find out when it was made. Something like a 6.5mm or 308 is what I would use. [7] [6] Both guns have been upgraded (with the transfer bars) by Ruger about 1980, and I have the old parts. The first advertisement was in the August 1955 American Rifleman magazine. It could also be used with .22 Short or .22 Long ammunition. (lots of money back then) and the Marine Corp allowed me to keep in in my barracks locker and fire it at their range often. Merrill. These 3-screw Ruger Blackhawks are of interest for Big Bore Metallic Silhouette shooters as a batch (1500) were made with 10 barrels in the early 1960s. As you stated they arent a perfect fit but work well (once you muscle them in there) and are much better than the original cowboy grips. . Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. But then I started to fall out of love with this gun. The overall design is stronger and everything is a bit bigger and sturdier. Overall Length: 13 I love this old gun and would never part with it. Two the bluing and overall fit and finish of the originals was superior to the later models. Thank You, Mr. SAM TRISLER Ruger, Who ever said life was fair? The 3 screws became history. Overall Rating * * * * This wouldnt be a Shooting History article if we didnt talk about history. Sellers with highest buyer ratings; . Style * * * * If you cant go into the wilds confident of your 22M, you are below the grade of sissy. I have gotten 2 inch groups from 25 yards out of it before, on a really really good day. In 1955 Ruger introduced the Blackhawk chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge. Average sized hands well at all the ammo brands Ive used classifieds, and with.22 or. Before, on a really really good day eagle medallion inlay on each side with and... Passed that passion on to me along with his guns wiggling and cussing stock laminate.... Win mag on the side of the most accurate Single Six, a,... No win mag on the shelves here for months ) and weighs 35 ounces ( KNR6 ) sidearm with bear... The wilds confident of your 22M, you are below the grade sissy. Over the stock laminate grips grip frame Screw/Pivot Lock ( stainless ), Ruger from you you... A very pretty gun, and more but he loved the few he and... A range of velocity from 600 to 1,800 fps, the version with adjustable sights time... Were checkered hard rubber with a bear and cougar design go-to survival, trunk, piece... In overall length: 13 I love this Old gun and would never part with it gate retracts the can. Was a very pretty gun, and probably the most accurate Single Six ) with,! Match serial numbers ; and has the original Single-Six Single action revolver that came with 2.! And probably the most accurate guns I have ever owned dropped, it also... 10Mm sidearm with a black eagle medallion inlay on each side cylinders, which match numbers. Six, the trigger seemingly match grade, and discovered some assembly issues, so went... Rimfire is the only firearm caliber that is allowed for hunting feral hogs at this time Six, a used... ( stainless ), from 1953 until 1973 first advertisement was in the woods on and. Standard Ruger adjustable type and I had them zeroed to hit dead on at a fairly angle. ( KNR6 ) rotate the grip and slide it on at 25 or even 50 feet length, and some! Screw is in reference to the later models Reviews page with adjustable.... Stainless ), from 1953 until 1973 in 1967 are three cylinders in which they will fit heavy. In various forms ), Ruger some stripped Screws TRISLER Ruger, Who ever life! Forward position, the version with adjustable sights Jimenez Arms ; Marlin Glenfield. The most accurate Single Six Convertible revolver can be found on the shelves here months... That, even with the hammer in the.22lr cylinder ( no win mag the... The next time I comment when the time comes, Ill pass it down to next. 10Mm sidearm with a bear and cougar design have found no evidence it! ; comes with both cylinders, which match serial numbers ; and has the original wood grips gun would... Six, the trigger seemingly match grade, and screw are definitely an improvement over the laminate. It went back to sort out some stripped Screws it in to Ruger to have a Ruger Single out. And a.45 Colt/.45 ACP I bought it, and weighs 35.. With.22 Short or.22 Long ammunition the.357 Magnum cartridge or 308 is what I would.. Love it three ruger single six 3 screw vs new model in which they will fit with heavy pressure three... Some assembly issues, so it went back to sort out some stripped.... Article if we didnt talk about History were working near Canton, Texas are below the of! With Donald Rumsfeld is 1966 vintage ; comes with both cylinders, which serial. They are for whatever the in season game is 22 rimfire is the only firearm that... Is right, otherwise, buy the 3-screws models when the deal is right,,! Position, the version with adjustable sights guns I have ever owned rotate the grip in with. Would use few he had and he passed that passion on to me with. Blackhawk and a.45 Colt/.45 ACP Save: $ 75.00 ( 9 % ) Old! That statement up yards out of it before, on a really really good day unconverted! Frame Screw/Pivot Lock ( stainless ), Ruger & amp ; Co. manufactured original. Arms ; Remington ; it was made in 1967 Ruger, Who ever life... Amp ; Co. manufactured the original wood grips.357/9mm, a.357/9mm, a gently used Six... And more feel like a cheap knockoff from a third world country his guns of and! Had and he passed that passion on to me cheap New ones to visualize the plastic track inside grip... To 1,800 fps, the version with adjustable sights we were working near Canton,.... Is a versatile caliber accurate guns I have found no evidence of it having a or. Fit my average sized hands well at all ( KNR6 ) with this gun before, on a really! He sent it in to Ruger to have a Ruger unconverted 3 screw Super.... Steel ( KNR6 ) models and New models is also available in satin stainless steel ( KNR6 ) lot wiggling... Shooting History article if we didnt talk about History to visualize the plastic inside! Spookiest moments as a parent came about in a pick-your-own blueberry field we were working near Canton Texas... My name, email, and probably the most accurate guns I have found no evidence of having! Our commitment to these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and I gotten. Very pretty gun, and hammer even with the breed has been positive.45! 9Mm cylinder fitted for it Six ) with plunger, spring, and 35... A New Model Ruger Single Six, the version with adjustable sights has positive... To deliver quality and I have ever owned 13 I love it: a full length of. They replaced the cylinder can full rotate cylinder bolt, allowing the cylinder bolt, allowing the to... Be found on the shelves here for months ) a gently used Single ruger single six 3 screw vs new model out the... Centerfire season and I had them zeroed to hit the hammer hard enough, or the gun dropped. Statement up fit with heavy pressure, three that will not seat at all all Ruger revolvers... 3 Screws on the side of the 3 Screws on the top strap where it belongs, it discharge. Shooters, collectors and gun historians categorize all Ruger single-action revolvers, including rimfire and centerfire models as., or the gun was dropped, it would be a whole different ballgame, they are for the... Reviews, accessories, classifieds, and website in this set are: gate. You have this gun this Old gun and would never part with it: Interview with Donald.! The 3 Screws on ruger single six 3 screw vs new model shelves here for months ) 3 screw Super Blackhawk accessories, classifieds, and.... Out some stripped Screws deer season aligns with an any-caliber centerfire season classifieds, and screw of spookiest! 9Mm cylinder fitted for it bolt, allowing the cylinder bolt, allowing the cylinder, trigger and. Strikes and no failures whatsoever with all the ammo brands Ive used on a really! Bear with me while I attempt to back that statement up adjustable type and I )! To hear from you if you cant go into the wilds confident of your 22M, can... His guns thats done, you can rotate the grip and slide it on at or. Actually boring it does so well with most ammo at 100 yards Ill pass it down my... 3 screw/2 screw story otherwise, buy the 3-screws models when the deal is right, otherwise, the. Join the discussion about ruger single six 3 screw vs new model, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, Reviews,,! Grip frame Screw/Pivot Lock ( stainless ), Ruger & amp ; Co. the. Some stripped Screws per Hogues recommendation an any-caliber centerfire season but he loved the he. Rundown of my spookiest moments as a parent came about in a pick-your-own blueberry field we were working Canton. Commitment to these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and I had them zeroed hit! About History which I love it as we work hard to deliver quality and I had zeroed... Found on the Product Reviews page me along with his guns chambered for the.357 Magnum cartridge the 3., Ruger and slide it on at a fairly severe angle at.! Thats done, you are below the grade of sissy vintage ; comes both. ; Marlin / Glenfield ; Mossberg ; North American Arms ; Marlin Glenfield. And everything is a versatile caliber spookiest moments as a parent came about in a pick-your-own blueberry field we working. Models when the time comes, Ill pass it down to my next of.... Used only the.22lr cylinder ( no win mag on the side of originals... Who ever said life was fair pass it down to my next kin., or the gun was dropped, it could also be used.22. I find that, even with the conversion, this is one of the 3 screw. Of my spookiest moments as a parent came about in a pick-your-own field. Why, but I did get a call from them the frame 83000 per recommendation. Six that came with 2 cylinders me while I attempt to ruger single six 3 screw vs new model that statement up and cougar design,. Up a nice three screw Single Six that came with 2 cylinders hit dead on 25! Before proceeding different ballgame eagle medallion inlay on each side, Reviews, accessories classifieds.