People frequently have to get rescued from this canyon. There was some water on the trails. One of Tucsons favorite hikes, I write up my experience on a trek to the Romero Pools. Also, thanks to the Good Samaritans who gave my wife some items to hold her shoes together when they both broke about 2 miles in. Up and up you will travel, until you find the trail arching down into one of those narrow, mountain valleys. However, best just to not be out there if a fire is out of hand, and part of the work is teaching people to stop starting the fires on accident or otherwise. In a nutshell, we are a Huntsville-based Gen X couple sharing our stories of amazing adventures through activity-driven transformational and experiential travel. Up to Romero pools in about 2 hrs, down and back to trailhead in about 1 1/2 hours for this senior citizen of 71 years. In 2020, we here in Arizona suffered from many devastating wildfires, including the Bighorn Fire, which burned throughout the Catalina Mountains. Started about 2pm. . Length: 5.5 miles (round trip) Elevation change: 1,300 feet; Time (including travel): 4 to . Winter is best, although some folks like to swim in the pools in the summer. After 0.3 miles, turn left on Main Avenue. Hiking info for Romero Pools via Romero Canyon, located in Catalina State Park, Arizona. Take a dip. Jordan is a relatively small country with a deep and rich history and stunning natural beauty. HAZ uses cookies . Make sure to check in when you return to your car!