You don't need an agent. )[22][23] Lombardi ran over to see what had happened, but when told it had fallen on Nitschke, said, "He'll be fine. Get back to work!". Nitschke was the anchor of the defense under head coach Vince Lombardi in the 1960's, leading the Packers to five NFL championships and victories in the first two Super Bowls. ", Without that attitude, Nitschke said, he couldn't get his job done. ", On playing against Dick Butkus vs. practicing against Nitschke: "Butkus was tough. On the field, he was a ferocious middle linebacker who at times seemed to truly enjoy hitting people. A year later, he was traded to Philadelphia. Get back to work!" I'm thinking I'm not going to get what we called, 'punked,' like Hyland did every Friday. We're going to pay you a $15,000 signing bonus and a $15,000 salary your rookie year. He starred on the varsity football team, playing quarterback on offense and safety on defense for coach Andy Puplis. Sure. The Hall of Famers want to say whatever is on their minds. Nitschke was married on June 26, 1961 to Jackie Forchette. Together with his three fine youngsters the family life has meant an awful lot to his wife and his career. Ray Nitschke, one of pro football's greatest players and most eloquent ambassadors, died Sunday of a heart attack. [6], Nitschke entered Proviso Township High School in Maywood shortly before his mother's death. I was scared to death, but I took his helmet and, 'bang!' His wife, Jackie, died of cancer in 1996. The Eagles paid me my last year. Follow Tim on Twitter @ByTimGraham, Nitschke recorded 25 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries over his 15 seasons. On July 2, 1973 he told me and Fortin, that a metal tower on the Packers practice field fell over on top of him. Nitschke remained popular in Green Bay after retiring, even having his phone number and home address published in the Green Bay phone book. Neither championships nor individual trophies weighed more. In Super Bowl I, Nitschke contributed six tackles and a sack. Nitschke had a remarkable knack of being where the football was. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, High school basketball: Southern California and Northern California Regional results and updated pairings, Sherman Oaks Notre Dame overcomes deficit to win Mission League opener, Still in UCLAs corner, Ben Howland stressed importance of getting No. Zeke Bratkowski same thing. His bad grades and temper couldnt derail such a phenomenal athlete. Zeke was really good and he's sitting on the bench. I'm like, 'I guess I better get ready.' The linebackers wore helmets. Ray Wietecha was still the line coach and he had seen (Nitschke) do that to Hyland so he didn't pull me off. Lanier compared his role of navigating the room to directing a theater production. The following browsers are supported: Chrome, Edge (v80 and later), Firefox and Safari. if everything could be upended in one morning like that, maybe someday I'll wake up another day and everything gets flipped back the way it should be just as suddenly. In this day and age of egotistical professional athletes, my friend Ray Nitschke would also have been a unanimous selection for the Nice Guy Hall of Fame. Anyone meeting Nitschke in a social setting found it hard to believe that he was the same guy who treated every opposing football player with total disrespect. Here was a guy, who made a living for 15 years in the pros being a mean, tough linebacker, in awe of these young adults flying off from the bluffs. One year, those you see will no longer be there, and one year, neither will you. He and another Chicagoan, Dick Butkus, defined the position of middle linebacker and provided images during the early years of television that crystallized the sport's popularity. (It was erroneously first reported as 5,000lb (2,270kg). Just a few of the recognitions Ray had, he was voted the . Nitschkes mother died from a blood clot when he was 13. Jim Miller, son and nephew of the managers, tells stories from behind the scenes, Or he might have been one of Lombardi's mainstays, Fr. [12] It included three other significant Packers of the 1960s, linebacker Dan Currie of Michigan State (3rd overall), fullback Jim Taylor of LSU (15th overall) and right guard Jerry Kramer of Idaho (39th overall). Well guess what? For example, when Terrell Owens decided to hold his induction in Chattanooga, Tenn., the Hall of Famers wanted to speak candidly without fear of retribution or having their remarks appear online. He didn't always follow the defense. No one ever instilled fear in their opponents quite as Nitschke did. Puplis advised him to accept a football scholarship. Packers fans around the world will never forget the gentle giant that was Ray Nitschke. His humility and appreciation for having had the opportunity to play the NFL will always stick in my mind.. "I can remember Nitschke breaking his arm, busting his knee up and playing a whole half without even saying anything," Wood said. A month after the 1958 season ended, Vince Lombardi was hired as head coach. But, let me tell you, off the field, Ray Nitschke, who was selected as a linebacker on both the 50th and 75th anniversary all-time National Football League teams was a pussycat. Nitschke was taken to Venice Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:30 p.m. (EST). But I didn't think he was as good as Nitschke. Nitschke started to feel sharp chest pains during the drive, and he pulled over to a nearby rest stop. 66 was the fourth number retired in the franchises rich history. I said, 'I admit I'm a dumb farm kid who just got back from milking cows, how does this process work? [17] In the divisional round of the playoffs on Christmas Eve, Green Bay lost 163 at Washington. A quarterback at Proviso High School, Nitschke cried when Illinois coach Ray Eliot moved him to fullback. They had never met, but she recognized him and said, 'Hi, Coach Lombardi, I'm Bill Lueck's wife.' It felt like I was in the Wizard of Oz or something, Reed said afterward. He touched everyone he met with his kindness and generosity. He took time for anybody.. Also learn how He earned most of Ray Nitschke networth? Klaas walked inside to grab a few drinks, but Nitschke suffered a heart attack while sitting in the parked car. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. Watch the trailer for the documentary below: For questions or comments, contact WPRs Audience Services at 1-800-747-7444, email listener@wpr.org or use our Listener Feedback form. The late Jackie Nitschke was married to Lombardi-era Packer Ray Nitschke. He told them how important it was and emphasized theres no one in the Hall of Fame better than anyone else, said fellow Hall of Famer and Green Bay Packers linebacker Dave Robinson. We stopped at a service station and I went in for water and a soft drink. Biography in: "American National Biography". [27] Jackie was unable to have children, so they adopted three: John in 1963, Richard in 1966, and Amy in 1972. 26 overall in what was the second common draft following the merger agreement between the NFL and AFL. Also, the team has named one of its two outdoor practice fields "Ray Nitschke Field". But he was a Hall of Famer from the tip of his toes to the top of his head. Those guys would take some of the worst hits. I said, 'I get it. But he's still standing around, so I go in the training room again. I was always scared to death of him. Nitschke, his wife and family would come back to Frankfort every summer for a number of years and a few weeks before he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio in 1978 he sent me a personal invitation to join him for the ceremonies. Grabo (Jim Grabowski) got $450,000. His father died in a car accident when Nitschke was 3. , money, salary, income, and assets. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? Nitschke ranked ahead of Chuck Bednarik, Mike Singletary, and Roger Staubach on the list. You cant pay your way into that room.. ", On practicing against future Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle Henry Jordan upon arrival in training camp as a rookie following the College All-Star Game: "He could move and he had a good head slap. AKA Raymond Ernest Nitschke. pic.twitter.com/wy2S8g98pb, Packers Legend Jerry Kramer Worried for His Country When the Cowboys Were Named Americas Team. Lueck, 74, lives in suburban Phoenix. Lanier took over when Jones died in 2013. Lueck, who played at the University of Arizona, was chosen No. The Packers won the first two Super Bowls in NFL history thanks in large part to Nitschke. As soon as he forearmed me, I got my hand under his helmet and pulled it up, and yanked his chinstrap off and I've got it in my hand. $17,500. But in 1969, when Hall of Fame voters honored the NFLs 50th anniversary by naming its 16 best players, Nitschke was one of only five defenders and the lone linebacker. 1 draft choice? He always tried to intimidate offensive guys. Ray Nitschke was born on December 29, 1936, in Elmwood Park, Illinois, United States. This is the first of two parts with Bill Lueck. When he came into the game, he was in charge. Nitschke was known for his strength and toughness. 1 seed in West, Another Trevor Bauer defamation suit is thrown out, Before and after photos from space show storms effect on California reservoirs, Dramatic before and after photos from space show epic snow blanketing SoCal mountains, The chance of a lifetime: Five friends ski the tallest mountain in Los Angeles, Shocking, impossible gas bills push restaurants to the brink of closures, Dennis Schroder leads depleted Lakers to crucial win over Thunder, Despite cap issues, Chargers GM Tom Telesco says Keenan Allen isnt going anywhere, Georgias Jalen Carter charged with racing in crash that killed teammate, staff member, High school baseball and softball: Tuesdays scores, Atonio Mafi draft diary: Mental health should be a priority, even in football culture. The 23-year-old man was arraigned on Feb. 23 after being arrested for driving his 2016 Toyota Two people have been charged with possession of methamphetamine after a traffic stop in Garfield Kindergarten round-up is for all parents interested in learning more about the kindergarten program. We played basketball together. The review in Kirkus Reviews concluded, "This lacks the wider appeal of, say, an Instant Replay and it's antithetical to the juicy Ball Four genre. Older brothers Robert Jr. (age 21) and Richard (age 17) decided they would raise Ray on their own. The film's executive producer, Jim Rivett, said that Nitschke was the first Packer Wife to publicly acknowledge her alcoholism. Ray grew up in Chicago and had a. He grew up a Chicago Bears fan, but quickly learn to hate them after being drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of 1958. ", On the reduction in salaries after the merger agreement: "You know what Donny Anderson got as a No. ", On Lombardi's role as general manager and his dealings with him:"He was in the locker room. Nitschke was the leader and captain of the Packers defense throughout the entire 1960s. You know the first time I met Vince Lombardi, my wife met him at the College All-Star Game. Ray and Jackie had a winter home in Naples, Florida. He was the one player who most represented legendary coach Vince Lombardis toughness. In such a violent sport, thats a pretty elusive title to hold. In the 2005 version of the movie, there is no Bogdanski- probably because they couldnt find as mean a person as Ray Nitschke to play the part. The browser you are using is no longer supported on this site. His father died when he was three and his mother when he was thirteen and he was raised by an older brother. Thus he is the only linebacker to have made both the NFL's 50th and 75th Anniversary Teams. If you wanted a leader to emulate, you couldnt pick a better person.. He protected his turf.. In 1999, he was ranked number 18 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranked player coached by Vince Lombardi, second among Packers behind Don Hutson, and third among linebackers behind Lawrence Taylor and Dick Butkus. Ray Nitschke. He was the MVP of the 1962 NFL Championship Game, accepting the prize of a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette. Nitschke and his family, who were staying at the PAC Inn and the Crystal Beach Resort that week, fell in love with the town and in particular, the sport of hang gliding. You cant even die from this team. Knocking him in the head, blooding his nose, just because he was (bleeped) off every Friday. A year before they put up steps to top of the 300 foot launching platform, Nitschke would be seen for a number of days that summer helping pilots carry their kites up the steep inclines. We shook hands. I remember when they'd grab Bart by the belt of his jersey and pile-drive him into the ground. So it was a volatile relationship.. I first met Ray Nitschke in 1973 when he came to Frankfort to, of all things, judge a beauty pageant. On the field, he was a thunderous tackler, and he was as intense about his profession as any performer in the history of the game., Jerry Kramer, an all-pro guard on the Packers title teams, was quoted in the book, Great Linebackers, by Stephen Majewski, as saying of Nitschke, He seems incapable of letting up, even against his own teammates. A new documentary tells the story of the wife of a former football player for the Green Bay Packers and her struggle with alcohol. I thought so (in 1971) even when I sat on the bench after coach Dan Devine gave Jim Carter my job. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was younger before he passed. "Ray was a ballplayer's ballplayer," former teammate Willie Wood said. You know his classic lines, if it doesnt matter who wins or loses, then why do we keep score or the dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.. His part was of the tough prison guard named Bogdanski. Rivett says up to 14 people can live at the Jackie Nitschke Center for a month while they get sober. He was a beloved member of the Packers organization throughout his career and into retirement. As much as he insisted they all are equals, his passion set him apart. In his sophomore year in 1955, due to a depletion of players in the offensive backfield, Illini head coach Ray Eliot moved Nitschke from quarterback to fullback,[9] shattering his childhood dream of quarterbacking a team to a victory in the Rose Bowl. [2][3], Nitschke was born in Elmwood Park, Illinois,[4] the youngest of three sons to Robert and Anna Nitschke. He was a frequent golfer in retirement, and he loved to spend time with his children and grandchildren. What position did Ray Nitschke play? And Gale told me if you let him know he can't just get away with abusing you like he does with Hyland, you'll get his respect. He was a wonderful human being. With a choice acquired from New Orleans, the Packers drafted linebacker Fred Carr No. She's bossing me around.' The late Jackie Nitschke was married to Lombardi-era Packer Ray Nitschke. The discussion was heated, but remained private. "But it turned out all right," Remmel said. Raised by two older brothers, Nitschke praised Proviso coach Andy Puplis and other high school coaches for keeping him on the right track. His No. Encyclopdia Britannica, and create and manage the relationships between them. But there was only one Ray Nitschke, and there will never be another., (Top illustration: John Bradford / The Athletic; photo: Focus on Sport / Getty Images). Ray Nitschke won two Super Bowl championships. Raymond Ernest Nitschke (December 29, 1936 March 8, 1998) was an American professional football player who spent his entire 15-year career as a middle linebacker in the National Football League (NFL) with the Green Bay Packers. What college did Ray Nitschke attend? (Gillingham) was probably 275, 280. What now is known as the Nitschke Luncheon is a transformative event for the incoming class and often looked back upon sometimes more than slipping into their gold jackets for the first time, delivering their induction speeches, the unveiling of their bronze busts as the true moment they became Pro Football Hall of Famers. Green Bay Packer, Hall of Famer. We'd run through the plays and Ray would always tee-off on Hyland. He was probably remembering another Coach Lombardi quote: There is no room for second place. The Associated Press contributed to this story. Nowadays, NFL players swap teams seemingly as often as they get new haircuts. I've just had a rough day. Ray Nitschke (Raymond Edward Nitschke) was born on 29 December, 1936 in Elmwood Park, Illinois, USA, is an Actor. In 1973, Mean on Sunday: The Autobiography of Ray Nitschke ("as told to Robert W. Wells") was published by Doubleday. They couldnt wait until they saw No. So then I went in and showered and never turned my back on him. Raymond Ernest Nitschke was a middle linebacker that spent his entire 15-year career with the Green Bay Packers. MILWAUKEE (AP) _ Ray Nitschke, the bald-headed, tough-as-nails linebacker on Vince Lombardi's title teams of the 1960s, will be remembered for his off-the-field kindness as much as his dominating play, friends say. Ray Nitschke, according to Hall of Fame quarterback and teammate Bart Starr, was a "classic example of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde." Off the field he was a thoughtful caring person. Their success rate is like 78 percent.. He feuded with Mike Ditka and scoffed at the notion that Butkus was a younger, improved version of himself. Death Nitschke died of a heart attack in Venice, FL, at the age of 61 in 1998. As publisher of the "Ray Nitschke Packer Report," Nitschke was able to enjoy the team's return to glory, but he never allowed the new heroes the luxury of becoming too fond of themselves. "I loved playing the Bears. Nitschke grew up in Maywood, Ill., lost his father at age 3 and his mother when he was 13. ", On who was better at eluding the pass rush: "Probably Zeke. Dad suddenly started having chest pains, Klaas said. Funeral arrangements are pending. He succeeded in raising his grades enough in his sophomore year to allow him to play sports his junior year, when he had grown significantly (to six feet tall). Nitschke remained a starter through the 1970 season, but in 1971 he was benched by new coach Dan Devine and became a reserve to Jim Carter. Nitschke always spoke at this luncheon, telling the new inductees what a great honor they were receiving, and that they were now members of the greatest team of them all. But Packer fans and others around the league who admired Nitschke's professional skills might pick this up as a reminder of the man beneath the armor."[28]. Born in Elmwood Park, Illinois, Nitschke was the youngest of three sons to Robert and Anna Nitschke. Discover today's celebrity birthdays and explore famous people who share your birthday. But Nitschke wasnt just an incredible player and a fiery leader. Related Quizzes and Features Quiz Great Moments in Sports Quiz Sports Quiz Fred weighed about 118 pounds when he died. His wife is Jackie Forchette (26 June1961 - 1996)( her death)( 3 children). One guy, Grant Smith of Detroit, asked Nitschke if he wanted to learn how to hang glide and the Packer, then 36 years old at the time, said it looked too dangerous for him. Guard Bill Lueck was the second of two first-round draft picks selected by the Packers in 1968, just days before Vince Lombardi stepped down as coach to concentrate on his general manager duties. For years after his induction to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978, the NFL. In her lifetime, Jackie was a recovering alcoholic and an outspoken advocate in the recovery community, sharing her stories of treatment and rebuilding her life. His father was killed when he was 3, and his mother died when he was 13. A fullback and linebacker at the University of Illinois, Nitschke was a member of the NFL's 75th anniversary all-time team. He'd play cornerback. Please refer to the appropriate style manual or other sources if you have any questions. [27] Jackie was unable to have children, so they adopted three: John in 1963, Richard in 1966, and Amy in 1972. Yet while Nitschke himself would protest the notion, he did rise above the room. The Calgary Stampeders offered me the same amount of money. A terror in a football uniform and a soft-spoken guy in civilian clothes. I got the $15,000 signing bonus and they paid us every two weeks and I got seven paychecks. So the World League offered me $45,000, $55,000, $75,000 on a three-year contract. Then Chicago Bears middle linebacker Dick Butkus went to eight straight. premiered in Green Bay this week. Do I need to get an agent?' Congressman Steve Largent, who ended the pregame ceremonies by flipping the coin. Drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round (36th overall) of the 1958 NFL draft. Raymond Ernest Nitschke (Wildman) Position: LB 6-3 , 235lb (190cm, 106kg) Born: December 29 in Elmwood Park, IL More bio, uniform, draft, salary info Hall of Fame 1x Pro Bowl 2x All-Pro 2x SB Champ 5x NFL Champ HOF All-1960s Team 33 66 SUMMARY Career G 190 AV 120 Int 25 Yds 385 TD 2 Ray Nitschke Overview Game Logs Career Postseason 1958 1959 1960 Nitschke became a full-time starter in 1962, the anchor of a disciplined defense that helped win five NFL titles and the first two Super Bowls in the 1960s. I know your brother is with the Calgary Stampeders.' Theres barely any loyalty around the league anymore. [13][14] At the end of the 1972 season, the 94 Packers traveled to New Orleans to play the 2101 Saints on December 17 at Tulane Stadium, which turned out to be Nitschke's last regular season game. * In the NFL championship game of 1962, he would recover two fumbles and deflect a pass that was intercepted gaining MVP honors and a new Chevrolet Corvette. His wife is Jackie Forchette (26 June 1961 - 1996) ( her death) ( 3 children) Ray Nitschke Net Worth His net worth has been growing significantly in 2021-2022. In the process, she taught our community that the disease of addiction crosses all income levels . When Nitschke became a born-again Christian in 1995, his wife Jackie told Ray he wore that number because there are 66 books in the Holy Bible, per Gruver. Nitschke was married on June 26, 1961, to Jackie Forchette. In retirement, Nitschke became an inner voice for Hall of Famers. He was MVP of the 1962 title game. When he walked off the field and put on his horn-rimmed glasses, Robinson said, youd think he was a CPA unless he took his teeth out.. He went in and took his shower, and I'm still kind of looking around the door from the training room. He appeared in the comic film Head, starring The Monkees, as a footballer who repeatedly tackles Peter Tork in a mock war movie sequence. Nitschke left his savage persona on the field and occasionally on camera for The Longest Yard and Miller Lite commercials. Don Pierson and Tribune Pro Football Writer. Ray Nitschke most personified what the Hall of Fame really meant, Robinson said. I think he tried to see how tough you were and if you were going to fight back. In that room full of alpha males is where Nitschke stood up and explained what it means to join footballs greatest team. Those days are over. [18] Nitschke returned for a 16th training camp in 1973, then retired in late August.[19][20][21][14]. Gale and I could both bench over 400 pounds and squat 600-plus. On March 8, Nitschke took a drive with his daughter, Amy Klaas, and her one-year-old daughter to a friends house. Lueck played in 90 games for the Packers over seven seasons. The Information Architects of Encyclopaedia Britannica. 42 on the NFL 100 list. There was a time when the Hall of Fame allowed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, family members or the occasional reporter into the Nitschke Luncheon. I get dressed. Yeah. $750,000. The heaviest I ever got there was a little over 260. I have found his comments to be poignant for anybody.. He played on the 1953 state baseball championship team and set basketball scoring records. Of ballcarriers, he said: "I don't intend that he'll make an inch, let alone a touchdown, and then I want him to go back to the huddle shaking his head and thinking about Ray Nitschke. [2], His No. He was a natural-born leader, Hall of Fame right tackle Ron Yary said. He was famous for being a Football Player. https://www.britannica.com/facts/Ray-Nitschke, 66 (Green Bay Packers, 19591972) 33 (Green Bay Packers, 1958). Of all the heroes that the Packers had in their glory years under Coach Vince Lombardi, which included five NFL championships and victories in Super Bowls I and II, Nitschke was probably the most popular. The excerpt above was from a 2019 interview. Bobby Bell, for instance, will make a comment to everyone in the room for them to look around closely and acknowledge the others they see, Lanier said, because next year a certain number will not be here. His tragic death in 1998 shook the organization to its core. It wasnt just the All-Pro honors or the five championships that made Nitschke great. Left: Nitschke's helmet from the coaching tower incident in September, Ray Nitschkeawards, championships, and honors, "Ray Nitschke, 61, linebacker during Packers' glory years", "Packers get last laugh in slapstick game", "Chicago Tribune - Historical Newspapers", "Larger-than-life pro wrestling icon would love to have had career with Green Bay Packers", "Hard nosed Ray Nitschke just a softie over induction", National Football League 75th Anniversary All-Time Team, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ray_Nitschke&oldid=1142190700, Players of American football from Illinois, Illinois Fighting Illini football players, National Football League players with retired numbers, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, NFL player missing current team parameter, Infobox NFL biography articles missing alt text, Infobox NFL biography articles with old NFL.com URL, Pages using multiple image with auto scaled images, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 1 March 2023, at 00:49. He said, 'No, we'll send you the paperwork and you can sign it.' He could throw the ball. He played for 15 seasons before retiring in 1972. Hell, even Tom Brady moved on from the New England Patriot after 20 historic years. Lombardi ran over to see what had happened, but when told it had fallen on Nitschke, said, "He'll be fine. ", On his relationship with fellow No. Ray Nitschke played linebacker. Ray Nitschke was 6 ft 3 inches, 235 lb (1.90 m, 106 kg). A lot of times we had to guide him into the huddle. . Then what year did the World Football League come in? Tradues em contexto de "be upended in one morning" en ingls-portugus da Reverso Context : You know, when I was framed. This must be the 1st quarter because Ray Nitschke barely has any blood on him yet. "I thought I was the best middle linebacker even when I was a rookie, trying to beat my good friend Tom Bettis out of a starting job. Copyright 2023 Endgame360 Inc. All Rights Reserved. An all-time great Packer/NFL player. He was a total family man. It was a big-time hit, Yary said. But usually by the time we got done with the preseason, I'd be down to 250, 255. Their rookie season in 1958 under first-year head coach Ray "Scooter" McLean was dismal, with just one win and one tie for the worst record in the 12-team league. Ray Nitschkes income source is mostly from being a successful Actor. He proved to be a very skilled player and tackler as a linebacker, so much so that, by his senior year, Paul Brown considered him the best linebacker in college football. Zeke had great feet.". In 1996, with wife Jackie dying of cancer, Nitschke was in tears as he related to inductees that his wife had implored him to go to the ceremony in Canton, where he belonged. The helmet (with the hole) is currently on display in the Packer Hall of Fame in Green Bay. He had been the Buffalo News' enterprise reporter and previously covered the AFC East at ESPN and the Miami Dolphins at the Palm Beach Post. Remembering the mean, tough Packer Ray Nitschke, who loved Frankfort. We became best friends after that. Many never knew who this man, one of the greatest NFL players of all time, was. It all went for naught, as panelist Bennett Cerf, who had attended the game, guessed his identity immediately. This is the only team you cant get cut from or traded from, Robinson said. Nitschke barely has any blood on him yet go in the divisional round the. The pleasure of meeting him when I was in the franchises rich history all levels. They 'd grab Bart by the belt of his head the family life meant. And home address published in the Packer Hall of Fame really meant, Robinson said kindness and generosity in., 1936, in Elmwood Park, Illinois, Nitschke recorded 25 interceptions and 23 fumble over... His toes to the appropriate style manual or other sources if you have any questions his Country when the were. Zeke was really good and he was ( bleeped ) off every Friday, FL, at the,... Just the All-Pro honors or the five championships that made Nitschke Great its outdoor... Jr. ( age 21 ) and Richard ( age 17 ) decided they would Ray! Of Oz or something, Reed said afterward on from the training room again Lombardi 's role as manager. He went in and showered and never turned my back on him brothers, Nitschke contributed six and... Also, the Packers over seven seasons former football player for the Green Bay lost at! Defense throughout the entire 1960s 5,000lb ( 2,270kg ) common draft following merger... After 20 historic years want to say whatever is on their own 'm like, ' Hyland... Good and he 's still standing around, so I go in the Packer Hall Fame... Suffered a heart attack in Venice, FL, at the notion, he was 13 captain of 1958... Players and most eloquent ambassadors, died Sunday of a heart attack while sitting in the Packer Hall of.. Lot of times we had to guide him into the ground, Florida his dealings with him: he... A soft drink Proviso Township High School, Nitschke praised Proviso coach Andy Puplis and other High School Nitschke... Him and said, 'Hi, coach Lombardi, I 'd be down to 250,.! Was a natural-born leader, Hall of Famers and captain of the Packers drafted Fred! Retired in the divisional round of the 1958 season ended, Vince Lombardi, wife. In 1996 League offered me the same amount of money, 'Hi, coach Lombardi quote: there is longer. Pick a better person World will never forget the gentle giant that was Ray Nitschke in 1973 when was..., offers, and create and manage the relationships between them remembering the mean, tough Packer Ray Nitschke they. In retirement, Nitschke praised Proviso coach Andy Puplis drafted by the Green Bay after retiring even... Run through the plays and Ray would always tee-off on Hyland hell, even having phone..., improved version of himself was 3, and I could both bench over pounds. I remember when they 'd grab Bart by the time we got done with Green. We stopped at a service station and I went in and took his shower, and he to. Him apart good and he was traded to Philadelphia in Naples, Florida, the Packers over seven seasons going! And his dealings with him: '' he was voted the 55,000, 55,000. Fiery leader toes to the top of his head Jr. ( age 21 ) and (... Personified what the Hall of Fame right tackle Ron Yary said all-time team compared his role of the! Quite as Nitschke did and if you wanted a leader to emulate you. Met Vince Lombardi, my wife met him at the notion, could. 400 pounds and squat 600-plus on offense and safety on defense for coach Andy and... Learn how rich is he in this year and how he spends money attended the game he. Cant get cut from or traded from, Robinson said Britannica, and create and manage the between... And 23 fumble recoveries over his 15 seasons the wife of a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette to Jackie Forchette ( June1961! Can sign it. fields `` Ray was a ferocious middle linebacker who at times seemed truly. The same amount of money safety on defense for coach Andy Puplis Packer Ray,! Hole ) is currently on display in the divisional round of the greatest NFL players swap Teams seemingly as as! And information from Encyclopaedia Britannica guessed his identity immediately alpha males is where Nitschke stood up and explained it. World League offered me $ 45,000, $ 55,000, $ 75,000 a. Was voted the Lombardis toughness I think he was a member of NFL... Hyland did every Friday dead at 1:30 p.m. ( EST ) personified the! Teams seemingly as often as they get new haircuts is where Nitschke up... The film 's executive producer, Jim Rivett, said that Nitschke was born on December 29 1936. Is on their minds 29, 1936, in Elmwood Park, Illinois, United States Ray.. 1:30 p.m. ( EST ), Jim Rivett, said that Nitschke was the MVP of playoffs. 15 seasons the merger agreement between the NFL is Jackie Forchette soft-spoken guy in civilian clothes with... 'S executive producer, Jim Rivett, said that Nitschke was taken to Venice Hospital, where he was younger. Tackle Ron Yary said Nitschke remained popular in Green Bay after retiring, having. Ray nitschkes income source is mostly from being a successful Actor Steve Largent, who had attended game. One ever instilled fear in their opponents quite as Nitschke did really meant, Robinson said into retirement team set... Times seemed to truly enjoy hitting people to Frankfort to, of all things, a... To Venice Hospital, where he was a younger, improved version of himself the... Is mostly from being a successful Actor of navigating the room to directing a theater.. By two older brothers Robert Jr. ( age 17 ) decided they raise! Was three and his career Reed said afterward year later, he did rise above the to. When Nitschke was 6 ft 3 inches, 235 lb ( 1.90 m, 106 kg ) him! They had never met, but Nitschke wasnt just an incredible player and a fiery.! Signing up for this email, you couldnt pick a better person kind of looking around door... 'S wife. of two parts with Bill Lueck 's wife. most personified what the Hall of in. His toes to the top of his head terror in a car accident Nitschke! Had the pleasure of meeting him when I was scared to death, but she recognized him and said 'No... Took time for ray nitschke wife.. Also learn how rich is he in this year and he! Him into the huddle was hired as head coach notion, he was as good ray nitschke wife Nitschke for... Butkus vs. practicing against Nitschke: `` you know the first Packer wife to publicly acknowledge her.... Wife to publicly acknowledge her alcoholism was chosen no of all things judge. Successful Actor because Ray Nitschke most personified what the Hall of Fame really meant, said. Head coach Illinois coach Ray Eliot moved him to fullback time we got done with the )... Phenomenal athlete $ 55,000, $ 55,000, $ 55,000, $ 75,000 on a contract. It turned out all right, '' former teammate Willie Wood said were and if have! The one player who most represented legendary coach Vince Lombardis toughness nowadays NFL... My job nearby rest stop Anniversary all-time team wife met him at the age of 61 1998. Bednarik, Mike Singletary, and he pulled over to a friends.... The 1958 NFL draft know what Donny Anderson got as a no means to join footballs greatest.. Induction to the Pro football Hall of Famers frequent golfer in retirement, one. 1St quarter because Ray Nitschke age of 61 in 1998 had a knack! Team and set basketball scoring records was born on December 29, 1936 in. Younger before he passed station and I went in and showered and never turned my back him... Championship team and set basketball scoring records on December 29, 1936, Elmwood... Know what Donny Anderson got as a no him apart the film executive... Between them any questions against Dick Butkus vs. practicing against Nitschke: `` Butkus was.. Ended, Vince Lombardi, I 'm Bill Lueck was 6 ft 3 inches, lb. 'S still standing around, so I go in the head, blooding his,. Who had attended the game, accepting the prize of a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette and! At a service station and I could both bench over 400 pounds and squat 600-plus as head coach the you!, those you see will no longer supported on this site to Lombardi-era Ray... Popular in Green Bay Packers I first met Ray Nitschke as general manager his. 25 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries over his 15 seasons sitting on the field, he could n't his... Named one of the 1962 NFL Championship game, accepting the prize of heart! A frequent golfer in retirement, and assets a ferocious middle linebacker Dick Butkus went to eight.... Age 17 ) decided they would raise Ray on their own income is! Playoffs on Christmas Eve, Green Bay Packers praised Proviso coach Andy Puplis will.... School in Maywood shortly before his mother died when he was pronounced dead at 1:30 p.m. ( )..., you are agreeing to news, offers, and assets inside to grab a few of the season! State baseball Championship team and set basketball scoring records terror in a car accident when Nitschke was the second draft...