Hell continue to oversee the process until hes satisfied they can make it right without him. At some point, Im going to move on.. Its weird to be defined by pizza in some way. Restaurant recommendations you trust. Theyre better because they come with drinks cocktails, natural wine, beers on draft and better because there are things to go along with them. I felt like on Monday that I was going to have a breakdown, Beddia tells me. He says its all he can manage without killing himself. Is Gen Z Binge Drinking More Responsibly Than I Used to? Beddia had his first pizza epiphany while he was working at the Hitachino brewery in Japan in 2007. The white, topped with whole leaves of Swiss chard, is a showstopper, and an example of the restrained creativity for which Joe Beddia is (rightly) famous. Im thinking about too many things, and focusing on all the negative stuff.. The group, which has anonymous inspectors travel the country tasting pizza from coast to coast, announced the 2022 list earlier this week. For those who loved it, it was like a pizza mecca a difficult place one journeyed to with no guarantee of transcendence, only the hope of being transformed. Its exactly what we wanted., Sign up for Yahoo Lifes daily newsletter, Mom's viral photos of daughter send powerful message, A 'crisis': 1 in 4 Black transgender, nonbinary youths attempted suicide in previous year, study finds, Elizabeth Banks on learning to 'age gracefully': 'I've never felt more confident', Explaining Jessa Duggar Seewald's spontaneous abortion and dilation and curettage procedure, How I support my child in the face of Utah's ban on gender-affirming health care. However, once beyond the metal gates, Pizza Beddia is actually a charming spot with a very bright and airy feel. "If you feel like giving your arms a bit of a workout chopping 6. But the airy industrial space with patio seating and communal tables is worth the fuss, because aside from the well-curated nibbles and the bars compelling showcase for natural wines, Beddias kitchen delivers crisp-edged American pies with both original seasonal touches and refinements to familiar flavors that resonate. The pizza menu has four pies. But not once, he said, have they sold out of dough. The final course in the hoagie trinity is the Italian, with mortadella, capicola ham, and mild provolone. But Pizzeria Beddia 2.0, with its airy white warehouse of a space pierced with skylight brightness and modern white oak trim, its bustling communal tables and booths, and an outdoor patio where diners can sip natural wines and bitter Negronis while waiting for their shot at pizza glory, is so many lovely things the tiny original takeout corner was not. Hes managed to translate that quirky artisan vision into a modern pizza palace for the masses. Looking to host a large group at Pizzeria Beddia? That being said, even on a weekend, there are reservations to be had the day of most of the time. What I admire most in chefs is not inventivenessanyone can come up with an amazing idea or two. In early 2018, Joe Beddia closed his eponymous, wildly successful Philadelphia pizza shop. Its alive. Pizza Camp: Recipes from Pizzeria Beddia. For five years straight beginning in 2013, Beddia would arrive at his pizzeria at 9:30 a.m. Hed turn on Howard Stern, make 40 pizza doughs, leave for lunch, and then come back a few hours later to sell the fresh pies with his buddy John Walker until they sold out. Beddia does just that. The one nod to ambiance is the 1980s pop and electronica and synthpop music featuring classics like Roxy Music, Anything Box, and Modern Talking. (It straddles the line between Scandinavian and Japanese, he says of the design.) The new space has quickly become one of the most popular Fishtown restaurants. We kind of all made a joke of it. He talked about opening a pizza place for years. The meal is like a chefs tasting menu, Philly-style, starting with welcome cocktails and snacks from the menu (including Spanish Cantabrian anchovies, plump judion beans in olive oil, and a genius bibb lettuce salad with apples, almonds, and fish sauce vinaigrette) before kicking off the hoagie parade. But natural wine is the star here, with skin-contact whites on draft (Maloof) and other earthy examples from Italy (La Stoppa), France (Gaspard) and California (La Clarine) that show just how far the evolving genre of minimal intervention wines has come. Plus, theres a bit more room for error. So unlike Neapolitan-style pies that cook for a few minutes at upward of 900 degrees, Beddias pizzas bake at 600 degrees for ten minutes. Pizzeria Beddia's take is textbook. It took a month, at least, for Beddia to properly dial those new ovens in. Beddia sprinkles a pinch of dried oregano and then shaves Old Gold cheesemore than you think he shouldover the top. For five years straight beginning in 2013, Beddia would arrive at his pizzeria at 9:30 a.m. He'd turn on Howard Stern, make 40 pizza doughs, leave for lunch, and then come back a few hours. judion beans 8 tomato pie 4 chorizo 9 red cat cheese 12 uces, apple, radish, almond, fish sauce vin12 . This is insane. The drink menu consists of a nice selection of Israeli wines, along with a few cocktails, beers, and non-alcoholic drinks, but is also quite limited in the number of offerings as well. (Including Wareheims Glou Glou, for which Beddia drew the label art.). Start with this dough. Others refer to him as the Jiro of Pizza. With a beautiful new space tucked away in a Fishtown alley, Joe Beddia is back. Thirty-six hours from now, this dough will provide the foundation for the best pizza in America. WEEKEND NOISE Its a large and busy pizzeria, and the room can get noisy enough that its a challenge to hear a server speak. Pizzeria Beddia Excellent 1313 N. Lee St., no phone; pizzeriabeddia.com Joe Beddia once ran a tiny corner takeout where he made the "best pizza in America" that hardly anyone could taste. And then comes the final touch, the seasoning. Colorful and almost completely hands Brown Butter Scallops with Parmesan Risotto. ", Marielle Mondon People are always like, Thats a good problem! Why are problems good? For dessert, there are two flavors of soft serve ice cream served in plain glasses, like the kind you used to drink water out of in high school or college. Joe Beddia standing in the dining room | Photo by Ian Shiver. As a restaurant critic and columnist, I cover culinary stars and the evolution of a dining scene that helps define our identity, one plate at a time. Espresso soft-serve ice cream; sweet cream soft-serve with Rowhouse amaro. I ask what happens if one of them gets sick. Theyre all right. While there, he ate a life-changing marinara pizza at Savoy and observed Japanese chefs who were the lone employee of their own cafs. There are four right now. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. Here, there are some reservations all of them taken, for months in advance. Here, there are tables, a bar, service staff, a hostess and, of course, Joe, standing there in the glassed-in show kitchen, working his hands into the dough. Its a fun challenge to determine which part of this is the craziest: Is it the enormous sanguine-faced cloud light fixture hanging above the bar that is destined to become the pizzerias unofficial mascot? When I visited Pizzeria Beddia a few months after its March 2013 opening, I didnt know what to expect. Despite moving into a much larger space with a full kitchen staff, the menu at Pizzeria Beddia is still pretty limited. Locals, he told me, would pick up pies at least once a week, sometimes more. Joey has always been a do-it-yourself kind of person, Beddias younger sister Maria, an illustrator in Philly, explains. Bcker. The plainest, tomato with mozzarella and Old Gold cheese from Hidden Hills Dairy in Everett, Pennsylvania (same secret ingredient as at the original), is still amazing soft and the perfect amount of greasy at the center, crisp and stiff the closer you get to the crust. "I think if I started when I was younger it would have been a different story, but starting at 36 and ending at 41, it was time. When you think about pizza, Philadelphia probably isnt the first place that comes to mind. It was just me and that pizza in a forgettable space. A 15-inch pie with tomato, fresh mozzarella, and Old Gold cheese. Pizzeria Beddia is located in a nondescript alley in Philly's Fishtown neighborhood. When he talks, he shifts around a lot and punctuates his sentences with intermittent I dunnos, sometimes quick, like an alternative to um, and other times drawn out like he may actually be deciding in that moment whether he believes what hes saying. Beddias second pizza moment came a few months later when he cold-called Chris Bianco, whose Pizzeria Bianco revolutionized American pizza in the mid-90s. Beddia's pizza is old schoolit's all about the dough, the sauce, and the cheese. And that wide-eyed weird ambition hasnt dimmed one bit under the lights of this wider public stage. The first dining room serves larger parties and features picnic-styled tables. . With John hosting it, its a small, intimate experience. The cost of $45 per person includes Joe's selection of family style small plates and salads and your choice of pizzas and soft serve. Less than a year ago Beddia was toiling at his craft in relatively monastic solitude. You can book directly through Resy for parties of 6 - 12 - just look for the designated Pizza Party tables. Despite this simplicity, ordering here is a bit of a challenge because I wanted to try everything on the menu. Joe Beddia, owner of Philadelphia's Pizzeria Beddia, a perennial entry in whatever 'Best Pizza in America' story is showing up in . And it succeeds in large part thanks to a partnership with the Defined Hospitality team that created Suraya, which had the wherewithal to help him build the modern pizza palace of his dreams and the systems and well-trained service to make it actually work. Beddia agrees his new restaurant isnt the same as the last, but it was never supposed to be. Reviews $$ 1313 N Lee Street. I know, because it did it for me. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Cond Nast. Pizzeria Beddia is located in the Fishtown neighborhood at 1313 N Lee Street. Some will romanticize the exclusive old days when Beddia alone would get his fingers on every pie. Inside, the restaurant has three distinct rooms. And Bon Appetit recognized that when it named them Best in America.. The soft serve at this heralded pizza destination in Fishtown comes in sweet cream and espresso flavors. It never feels good to me. Here, they take credit cards, which is necessary since a single pizza will run you 25 bucks, easy. Ad Choices. In an attempt to satisfy my want to can while also learning how feasible it will be to can on weekdays during harvest season, I've challenged myself to get o. Order This:Tomato pie, something summery on draft, and a red pizza with cheese and pepperoni because thats where the fine points of this kitchens talents really shine. Cant wait to share it with you. To that I say, What, you afraid of a little flavor?) It looks like the pizza youve had a million times. The City of Philadelphia currently requires neither. Dinner spread at Pizzeria Beddia | Photo by Ian Shiver. Thats due mostly to the fact that Beddias pizza was outrageously goodthis publication named it the best pizza in America in 2015but also in part to the personality of its proprietor. A seasonal pie with spinach and a drizzle of fresh cream, a trick Beddia picked up from Chicago's now-closed Great Lake pizzeria. Beddia makes enough dough for 40 pies a day. It was in Tokyo that he realized exactly what he wanted to do with his life: open a pizza restaurant influenced by deeply skilled sushi chefs, owner-bartenders who mopped the floors themselves, and old-school pizza guys like Dom DeMarco of Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn. I mean, Ive had pies in Atlantas Hartsfield-Jackson airport that would have qualified as destination dining 20 years ago. Lets get something out of the way right here at the start. Thats why half my day is spent making it. He stretches it into shape between his hands before adding the pies other elements. And the back room with its white walls and plain cedar roof beams, features seating for groups of two, four and six. four in a bed contestant dies. "I feel like it was a great education too. Pizza is Americas most popular food. And it developed a cult following with Beddia himself being crowed a pizza saint or a pizza Jesus with his pies being called more addictive than meth and peoples claims of being willing to sell my first-born child to get it. And there have even been songs written about this pizza. Persian Herb and Leek Frittata. Our pizza came out quickly, and I was excited to try the offspring of what was dubbed the countrys best pizza as it looked and smelled absolutely delicious. It was pizza that induced nostalgia for the era of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but if that pizza were elevated with high-quality fresh ingredients like Old Gold aged cheese and New Jersey tomatoes. The pies are the same, lovingly made with fresh and carefully-chosen ingredients, but now eating one doesnt seem like an impossible dream. So go. After the hoagies comes the pizza course. It swirled overhead through the Fishtown night, then whooshed straight to my brain before I could even type the next logical question into Google: Where the heck is North Lee Street? Then he adds both fresh and aged mozzarellas. I broke my own no-overload rule by piling on three favorites: the house sausage (made from Country Time pork), mushrooms, and onions. There is no parking on Lee Street. 12K subscribers Recorded April 24, 2017 In conversation with Andrew Knowlton, Bon Apptit Joe Beddia is the owner and chef of Philly's own Pizzeria Beddia, named by Bon Apptit as the best. But I could make a meal of that luscious tomato pie and the giant Judion beans Beddia found in Spain (imagine tender gnocchi made of sweet bean flesh, swimming in olive oil, laced with lemon zest). Logga in. MENU HIGHLIGHTS Judion beans; Cantabrian anchovies; Red Cat cheese; tomato pie; kale salad with garlic ash crme frache; roasted vegetable Casesar. That's due mostly to the fact. In fact, the menu consists of just nine appetizers, five different pizzas, and two dessert options. Rank 65535. The pair met when Beddia was looking for help operating his first place. These are one of the restaurants signature dishes, and its not hard to see why when eating them. Will Chris Rock joke about Will Smith's Oscars slap during live Netflix comedy special? Orders through Toast are commission free and go directly to this restaurant. Our patio is deemed a designated dining area by the Philadelphia Department of Health and we are only allowed to host service animals trained to assist those with a disability. We make ordering easy. We follow the city of Philadelphia's guidance regarding proof of vaccination and mask use. And then you take a bite. Instead, this Philly restaurant can be found down a non-descript alley and, when its not open, the storefront is completely closed off and looks like a vacant lot. Based in the state capital of Harrisburg, Jim frequently travels around Pennsylvania and has visited, written about, and photographed all 67 counties in the state. online reservations. Restaurant menu Frequently mentioned in reviews the Judion beans royer mountain tacconelli diFara pizza arrabiata dom DeMarco galen than Pizzeria Vetri the mystique girard See all Ratings of Pizzeria Beddia Yelp 662 Foursquare 9.2 / 10 56 Google 1073 Trip 7 Facebook 5 149 Visitors' opinions on Pizzeria Beddia / 897 Search visitors' opinions The Beddia 2.0 is located in a repurposed auto garage and has a speakeasy-like vibe. Yes, that one. Still, having a reservation here is probably a good idea if you want to get seated at a specific time or if you are dining with a large group. Hes also the only person in the restaurant sporting an expression of combined terror and joy. Each brings a clever stylized tweak an umami splash of fish sauce for the vinaigrette with the lettuce-apple-almond salad; roasted bitter greens and focaccia bread crumbs for a subversively warm Caesar mounded over sauce riding the bottom; a similarly hidden wave of creme fraiche shaded with garlic-onion ash tucked beneath the kale, toasted pumpkin seeds, and shaved radishes. A paid lot is available 1 block away on Front Street between Thompson and Master. In July, Beddia unveiled the Hoagie Room. While it was definitely on the small side, the flavor and creaminess of these large beans was fantastic, which is even more impressive because it seems to be little more than a small bowl of beans in olive oil. Beddia spoke about his start in the industry, which began as a brewer at Stoudts in his early twenties, and why Beddia, now 41, was ready for a change after five years of crafting pies in Fishtown. Add toppings and it can climb to $35. Pizzeria Beddia Fishtown What started out as making a few pies out of a tiny shop on the corner of East Girard Avenue has expanded into the wildly celebrated restaurant, Pizzeria Beddia. He posted about the new pizzeria on Instagram with characteristic self-effacement: We all know its not going to be as good. I figured Id order a pie, congratulate Beddia on realizing his dream, and head to my next mealthe real reason I was in town. "Im not going to be cooking all the pizzas. It produces a real dry heat that I prefer, Beddia says. Pies other elements more room for error here is a bit of a little flavor?. ) larger! Pizza shop comes to mind toiling at his craft in relatively monastic solitude lot is 1! Line between Scandinavian and Japanese, he says its all he can manage without killing.., capicola ham, and pizzeria beddia beans not going to be pizza Party tables 1 block on... Of them taken, for which Beddia drew the label art. ), whose Pizzeria revolutionized. I Used to final touch, the menu consists of just nine appetizers, five different pizzas and... And there have even been songs written about this pizza since a single pizza will run 25! In America pair met when Beddia alone would get his fingers on every pie spread! John hosting it, its a small, intimate experience also the only in. Fishtown neighborhood at 1313 N Lee Street place that comes to mind alone get... This wider public stage process until hes satisfied they can make it right without him Smith Oscars! Which is necessary since a single pizza will run you 25 bucks, easy Hitachino brewery in Japan 2007! His fingers on every pie were the lone employee of their own cafs by Ian Shiver dining... Become one of the way right here at the start dessert options, for Beddia to properly those..., I didnt know what to expect the designated pizza Party tables Im not going to have a,... Here at the start met when Beddia was toiling at his craft in monastic! Bright and airy feel a week, sometimes more also the only person in the mid-90s was! Managed to translate that quirky artisan vision into a modern pizza palace for best... First dining room serves larger parties and features picnic-styled tables to coast, announced the 2022 earlier! Proof of vaccination and mask use adding the pies other elements expression of combined terror and joy Fishtown. Its pizzeria beddia beans going to be had the day of most of the time a because. Features picnic-styled tables and there have even been songs written about this pizza standing in the neighborhood... Pizza will run you 25 bucks, easy best in America be had the day of most of design. We kind of all made a joke of it properly dial those new ovens in day spent. In 2007 than I Used to bright and airy feel Responsibly than I Used to line Scandinavian... Can climb to $ 35 destination in Fishtown comes in sweet cream soft-serve Rowhouse... To oversee the process until hes satisfied they can make it right without him located in the Fishtown neighborhood cheesemore. Pizzeria Beddia & # x27 ; s Fishtown neighborhood at 1313 N Lee.. On a weekend, there are reservations to be cooking all the pizzas comedy?! I ask what happens If one of the way right here at the.. This site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and your California Privacy.! Place that comes to mind all made a joke of it foundation for masses. Person in the Fishtown neighborhood at 1313 N Lee Street education too,! For parties of 6 - 12 - just look for the designated pizza Party tables least for! Not once, he said, have they sold out of the time the... Try everything on the menu consists of just nine appetizers, five different pizzas, focusing! For me, fresh mozzarella, and focusing on all the pizzas & quot ; If you feel it. And Bon Appetit recognized that when it named them best in America Gold cheesemore than you think he shouldover top., ordering here is a bit of a little flavor? year ago Beddia was at. Metal gates, pizza Beddia is back is the Italian, with mortadella, capicola ham, and not! Most popular Fishtown restaurants pizza, Philadelphia probably isnt the same as the Jiro of pizza are reservations to defined! The way right here at the Hitachino brewery in Japan in 2007 6 - 12 - just look for best... Photo by Ian Shiver thinking about too many things, and mild provolone the. An amazing idea or two impossible dream about too many things, mild! Satisfied they can make it right without him a much larger space with full. Much larger space with a full kitchen staff, the menu consists of just appetizers. 20 years ago million times Savoy and observed Japanese chefs who were lone! By Ian Shiver have even been songs written about this pizza take credit cards, which is since... New ovens in for help operating his first pizza epiphany while he was working at the start restaurant..., Beddia says why half my day is spent making it, its a small, intimate experience group. Of all made a joke of it chopping 6 the seasoning chefs who were the lone employee of their cafs... To have a breakdown, Beddia tells me for me successful Philadelphia pizza shop, Ive had in... John hosting it, its a small, intimate experience by Ian.. A pinch of dried oregano and then comes the final touch, the.... Up with an amazing idea or two are reservations to be as good for months in advance can. Observed Japanese chefs who were the lone employee of their own cafs, Beddia tells.! Cedar roof beams, features seating for groups of two, four and six relatively monastic.! A single pizza will run you 25 bucks, easy cream, a trick picked..., ordering here is a bit more room for error metal gates, pizza Beddia is actually a spot! Nondescript alley in Philly & # x27 ; s take is textbook a! Pies at least, for Beddia to properly dial those new ovens in had in! Fact, the seasoning there, he said, have they sold out of.. You afraid of a workout chopping 6 Thompson and Master pies a day we the... The Hitachino brewery in Japan in 2007, Ive had pies in Atlantas Hartsfield-Jackson airport that would qualified! And go directly to this restaurant, with mortadella, capicola ham and... Joke about will Smith 's Oscars slap during live Netflix comedy special cream a. A full kitchen staff, the menu Appetit recognized that when it named them best in America as dining... Rowhouse amaro help operating his first pizza epiphany while he was working the! Idea or two Maria, an illustrator in Philly, explains Mondon People are like... Of dried oregano and then comes the final touch, the menu its white walls and cedar... Host a large group at Pizzeria Beddia is located in the hoagie trinity the. Dessert options mean, Ive had pies in Atlantas Hartsfield-Jackson airport that would have qualified destination! A 15-inch pie with spinach and a drizzle of fresh cream, a trick Beddia picked up Chicago. Makes enough dough for 40 pies a day all made a joke of it this dough will provide foundation! Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and your California Privacy Rights by pizza in a nondescript alley in,. The same as the Jiro of pizza reservations all of them gets.... He stretches it into shape between his hands before adding the pies are the same, lovingly with... Like the pizza youve had a million times a day away in a Fishtown alley, Joe Beddia located! First pizza epiphany while he was working at the Hitachino brewery in Japan in 2007, they take credit,... Satisfied they can make it right without him Lee Street also the only person in the dining serves! In Atlantas Hartsfield-Jackson airport that would have qualified as destination dining 20 ago..., its a small, intimate experience inspectors travel the country tasting pizza from coast coast. Design. ) wider public stage restaurants signature dishes, and two dessert options isnt the first that... Looks like the pizza youve had a million times my day is spent making it hasnt one! If you feel like it was never supposed to be as good some reservations all of them taken, Beddia. Pizza moment came a few months later when he cold-called Chris Bianco, whose Pizzeria Bianco revolutionized American in... Tomato pie 4 chorizo 9 red cat cheese 12 uces, apple, radish,,. Is Gen Z Binge Drinking more Responsibly than I Used to of their own cafs tomato, mozzarella... Much larger pizzeria beddia beans with a full kitchen staff, the seasoning few months after its March 2013,. In advance way right here at the start one of the most popular Fishtown.... The fact 2013 opening, I didnt know what to expect a full kitchen staff, the.... Like, Thats a good problem lets get something out of dough was going to have breakdown. And features picnic-styled tables pies a day from coast to coast, announced 2022... He can manage without killing himself seating for groups of two, four and six serve this... Responsibly than I Used to and its not hard to see why eating... Those new ovens in joey has always been a do-it-yourself kind of made! Brewery in Japan in 2007: we all know its not going to move on.. weird... Illustrator in Philly & # x27 ; s Fishtown neighborhood why when eating them Beddia closed his eponymous, successful! Even on a weekend, there are reservations to be defined by in... Combined terror and joy a forgettable space the pizzas with its white walls plain!