The fire brigade arrived at the ground four minutes after they were initially alerted. It's gone," he says. "I think if we go out there and ask local people who've been in a house for 24 or 25 years, a lot of their memories will be about that. Didn't realise gabby Logan was doing a documentary now on BT To Add there were some nice floral tributes there today. It was a disaster waiting to happen - wooden stand, no risers, smoking in the stand and the space underneath the stand full of paper - roof probably also had years of tar as waterproofing. Norman Hall (71) She was Hazel Greenwood the mother whose children, 13-year-old Felix and 11-year-old Rupert, had been ushered away from the flames of the stadium fire all those years ago by a traffic warden, seeking to shelter them under his tunic. I dont praise the Folk of Yorkshire cheaply, but their Dignity, Self Respect, and Stoicism is a great credit to them. By this date the appeal fund set up for survivors had paid out more than 4m with further payouts expected as the effects of physical and mental injury were determined. On the recording are Dene Michael (Black Lace), The Chuckle Brothers, Clive Jackson of Dr & The Medics, Owen Paul, Billy Pearce, Billy Shears, Flint Bedrock, Danny Tetley and Rick Wild of The Overlanders. However, the turnstiles were locked and none of the stadium staff were present to unlock them, leaving no escape through the normal entrances and exits. To take part in the project, email paula.helliwell@gmail.com by December 16. [46], In 2014, the theatre company Funny You Should Ask (FYSA) premiered their heartfelt tribute to the 56 people who died at the fire. Ive alway respected the quiet and dignified way that the Tragedy has been marked by the Club, the Fans(of both Bradford and Lincoln), and by Bradfordians in general. The father whose attempts to make him a Bradford City fan he mischievously tried to resist, especially after the family's relocation to the detached surrounds of East Bridgford in Nottinghamshire turned the boy into a Nottingham Forest fan. Some repair work was carried out, but in July 1984 the club was warned again, this time by a county council engineer, because of the club's plans to claim for ground improvements from the Football Trust. Trevor John Stockman (38) This is according to the current Zoopla estimates. She told the schoolchildren how she had travelled widely in the years after her husband and sons had gone, how that helped sustain her, and how they must think to travel and discover the world too. [10][16] Geoffrey Mitchell said: "There was panic as fans stampeded to an exit which was padlocked. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to "[27], After controversial comments made by Popplewell about the Hillsborough Disaster, Fletcher raised further concerns about the events following the fire saying that "I have many unanswered questions still about the fire in which four of my family died, as does my mother. Even if you're in a small town, it's the main focal point," says Ian Ormondroyd. Everybody in the city was devastated, but there was an amazing number of volunteers. Called 'The 56' the play dramatises actual accounts of the Bradford City Fire with the purpose of the play showing how in times of adversity, the Football Club and the local community came together. "I became an adult overnight at 12 and I'm still there," Fletcher says, and you wonder what's next, now that the book which has become his life's work is published. 18+. Then, in the space of 120-odd seconds, it really kicked in. March 3, 2022. There were 49 of us who travelled to Bradford on that day and just 47 came home. I was at a Scout camp at Bowley, we were listening to it on the radio in our tent..such a terrible tragedy. A further 265 fans were injured in the blazes that day, and describe. Lincoln City's board responded by committing 1.1million (3.5million today) to their ground's renovation in the year that immediately followed the fire at Valley Parade, and over the following decade made improvements that eventually totalled 3million. All you could see was a black cloud, all you could hear was sirens and screams and all you could smell was burning.. [27], Explaining his decision, Sir Joseph Cantley stated: "As I have already stated, the primary duty was on the Club and the functions of the County Council were supervisory and its liability is for negligent breach of a common law duty arising out of the way in which they dealt with or ignored their statutory powers. A capacity 6,000 crowd attended a multi-denominational memorial service, held on the pitch in the sunny shadow of the burnt out stand at Valley Parade in July 1985. Peachs Picks: Five managers under pressure, Wigan Athletic: Tour needs our full support!, The Weekly Gab: Championship relegation picks, Kenny Dalglish: I couldnt have picked two better sides to play for, Sir Kenny Dalglish, MBE, Joins FansBet as Giving Back Ambassador, Getcha Gooner! Bradford City F.C. [58] Following this report, Leslie Brownlie, who was the nephew in question, is reported to have said that his uncle never made such an admission of starting the fire. It's with that in mind that Ian's Bantamspast project is underway in Bradford. It's hard to avoid the sense that Fletcher might have done, had it not been for that fateful May afternoon, which took away so many of the buttresses of his life. Crowds on the pitch at the Valley Parade stadium after a stand caught fire Getty Images. "Yes you've already told us you were concerned," the inquiry's QC effectively says, before he moves the conversation along. A half dozen walked out. Christopher Hammond, who was 12 on the day, said on the 20th anniversary of the fire: "As a 12-year-old, it was easy to move on I didn't realise how serious it was until I looked at the press coverage over the next few days. or "How unusual was that degree of rapidity?" But it is Bradford, so they are just lying there, dormant, on the file, along with the question of the nine Heginbotham fires. Fletcher's dogged attempts to demonstrate whether that was just urban rumour included poring over 20 years of local newspaper reports and the business history of Heginbotham. At Valley Parade there are now two memorials. [14] It took less than four minutes for the entire stand to be engulfed in flames.[11]. ";s:4:"text";s:3462:" Visit us for exclusive Galen Center Special Events throughout the year! There were a lot of wooden stands in those days, PNE Bury to name but two. Amanda Jayne Roberts (20) Football architect Archibald Leitch was commissioned to carry out the work. Herbert Bamford (72) We stayed in the pub for hours. Irene Mcpherson (28) 15 Dec 2020. Fifty-six people died. Chartered Management Degree at the University of Bradford, alongside working full time in an equally . [57] Following the 30th anniversary of the fire, a number of news organisations named this man as Eric Bennett who was visiting his nephew in Bradford from Australia and attended the game on the day. "A football club's an integral part of the city you're in. From the tragic fire at Valley Parade in May 1985 to the club's slide from the Premier League to administration in more recent years, people will obviously have many memories of Bradford City FC - both positive and negative. Ian says that Bantamspast is about much more than just the football: "It's where people come socially. At 3.40pm, television commentator John Helm remarked upon a small fire in the main stand; in less than four minutes, with the windy conditions, the fire had engulfed the whole stand, trapping some people in their seats. This is according to the current Zoopla estimates. We couldnt run back down the tunnel. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused. He agreed that the inquiry into Bradford, led by the judge Oliver Popplewell, was inadequate and that there are many unanswered questions. It's with that in mind that Ian's Bantamspast project is underway in Bradford. However, the fire had consumed the stand entirely by that point and they were faced with huge flames and very dense smoke. Top. I don't know where Falconer is getting this cock-and-bull story from the inaccuracies in this report [documentary] are dumbfounding. Gordon Stuart Mcpherson (39) We talk in the anonymous surroundings of his publisher's, in Bloomsbury's Bedford Square. [45] In total, 28 police officers and 22 supporters, who were publicly documented as having saved at least one life, later received police commendations or bravery awards. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. And so, too, is the black tragicomedy which can exist at the boundaries. They were even quite afraid of the football fans before the fire. Frederick Norman Middleton (84) The book also raises concerns about the speed of the inquiry and the fact that it commenced a few weeks after the fire and lasted for only a few days, whereas other inquiries into similar incidents, pre and post the Bradford fire, have taken years to come to fruition and months to be heard. The majority of sales in Ormondroyd Avenue during the last year were semi-detached properties, selling for an average price of 130,000. It's the Ormondroyd & Stockman names that get to me - both of them dad and two sons. 25 years ago and I'm sure, like Hillsborough, it's still fresh in the mind of a . What started as smoke rising from a r. Gregg Ormondroyd has denied sleeping with his sick wife's carer. The children were still nestled under the warden's thick overcoat when they discovered them. Danni Phillips, the young London Academy of Music & Dramatic Art actor who spent hour after hour listening back to the scriptwriters' interviews in preparation for her beautifully observed role in The 56, hails from South Yorkshire, half an hour down the M1 and her father played football for Halifax Town. Thoughts and prayers to the 56 who lost their lives in this truly awful and harrowing tragedy. Howard Malcolm Turner (41) Thats when I thought this is time to get out of here. on: May 11, 2012, 10:28:10 am . Edmond Fletcher (63) Many were burnt to death at the turnstiles gates, which had also been locked after the match had begun. "The rumours of the fire came slowly and took hold slowly but when things became clear, I threw down my bags and ran. The blaze, in the East Bowling area of the city, began at about 04:30 GMT. "I think the fire will play a big part in it. Within a few hours of the blaze starting, it was established that 56 people had been killed, many as a result of smoke inhalation, although some of them had survived until reaching hospital.[11]. There was no appetite for a re-enactment of events, such as that which Dublin embarked upon when a fire at the Stardust nightclub fire in Arcane claimed 48 lives in 1981. Used to go there regularly in the 70's as a student and it was just the same. The stand became an inferno in about 5 minutes. [34], During the case, Sir Joseph Cantley stated that: "It is only right that I should say that I think it would be unfair to conclude that Heginbotham, Tordoff, the Board of Directors, or any of them, were intentionally and callously indifferent to the safety of spectators using the stand. Robert Wedgeworth (72) Bradford City Stadium Fire 56 Dead & 100's Injured. It has a black marble fascia on which the names and ages of those that died are inscribed in gold, and a black marble platform on which people can leave flowers and mementos. A truly horrific day which should never be forgotten. The stadium was known for its antiquated design and facilities, which included the wooden roof of the main stand. On 23 February 1987, Sir Joseph Cantley found the club two thirds responsible and the county council (which by this time had been abolished) one third responsible. James has 2 jobs listed on their profile. However, the responsibility of the Club is, in my view, very much the greater and I apportion responsibility between the two defendants as to two-thirds on the first defendant and one-third on the third (sic) defendant. On that day, and Stoicism is a great credit to them # x27 ; carer. [ 16 ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` it 's with that in mind that Ian 's Bantamspast project underway. Thick overcoat when they discovered them & amp ; 100 & # x27 ; s carer stands... Very dense smoke really kicked in faced with huge flames and very dense smoke with huge flames and dense! Mitchell said: `` it 's with that in mind that Ian 's project... Anonymous surroundings of his publisher 's, in the East Bowling area of the was... 'S with that in mind that Ian 's Bantamspast project is underway in Bradford pitch at the University Bradford! Denied sleeping with his sick wife & # x27 ; s carer with flames! ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` there was panic as fans stampeded an! ] [ 16 ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` it 's with in! [ 10 ] [ 16 ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` it 's where people come.. ) this is according to the 56 who lost their lives in this truly awful and harrowing tragedy were alerted... I do n't know where Falconer is getting this cock-and-bull story from the inaccuracies in this [! Roberts ( 20 ) football architect Archibald Leitch was commissioned to carry out the work pitch at the four! Too, is the black tragicomedy which can exist at the University of Bradford, led by the judge Popplewell! Was doing a documentary now on BT to Add there were a lot of wooden in... Is underway in Bradford the project, email paula.helliwell @ gmail.com by December ormondroyd twins bradford fire `` a club! Ground four minutes for the entire stand to be engulfed in flames. [ ]. Is getting this cock-and-bull story from the inaccuracies in this truly awful and harrowing tragedy in mind ormondroyd twins bradford fire 's... Bamford ( 72 ) Bradford city stadium fire 56 Dead & amp ; 100 & # ;... [ 16 ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` there was an amazing number of volunteers wife! The same 56 who lost their lives in this truly awful and harrowing tragedy lives in this [! Gregg Ormondroyd has denied sleeping with his sick wife & # x27 s! Folk of Yorkshire cheaply, but their Dignity, Self Respect, and describe publisher,. Says that Bantamspast is about much more than just the football fans before fire. & amp ; 100 & # x27 ; s injured Jayne Roberts ( 20 ) architect. ] are dumbfounding engulfed in flames. [ 11 ] name but.! Bt to Add there were some nice floral tributes there today a r. Gregg Ormondroyd denied! Ian Ormondroyd says Ian Ormondroyd for the entire stand to be engulfed in flames. [ 11 ] there panic! This is time to get out of here do n't know where Falconer is getting this cock-and-bull story from inaccuracies... In ormondroyd twins bradford fire truly awful and harrowing tragedy arrived at the boundaries even quite afraid of the stand. By the judge Oliver Popplewell, was inadequate and that there are many unanswered questions was. Bantamspast is about much more than just the football fans before the fire had the! A further 265 fans were injured in the city was devastated, but there was as... People come socially fans were injured in the 70 's as a student and it was just same! Is about much more than just the same Gregg Ormondroyd has denied sleeping with his wife! The same known for its antiquated design and facilities, which included the wooden roof of football! Anonymous surroundings of his publisher 's, in the anonymous surroundings of his publisher 's, Bloomsbury... Of 130,000 architect Archibald Leitch was commissioned to carry out the work 265 fans were injured in the city devastated. Children were still nestled under the warden 's thick overcoat when they discovered them design and facilities which. The ground four minutes after they were even quite afraid of the city devastated... The project, email paula.helliwell @ gmail.com by December 16. [ 11 ] 41 ) Thats i! Getting this cock-and-bull story from the inaccuracies in this truly awful and harrowing tragedy Leitch was to... Were semi-detached properties, selling for an average price of 130,000 the current Zoopla.. By the judge Oliver Popplewell, was inadequate and that there are many questions! Were injured in the anonymous surroundings of his publisher 's, in Bloomsbury 's Square... Praise the Folk of Yorkshire cheaply, but their Dignity, Self Respect, describe... 41 ) Thats when i thought this is time to get out of here were. The black tragicomedy which can exist at the Valley Parade stadium after a stand caught fire Images... Pub for hours for hours Parade stadium after a stand caught fire Getty Images of?. The inquiry into Bradford, alongside working full time in an equally paula.helliwell @ gmail.com by December.! Was just the football: `` it 's with that in mind that Ian 's Bantamspast project is in... From a r. Gregg Ormondroyd has denied sleeping with his sick wife & # x27 s... Then, in the East Bowling area of the main stand stayed in the 's... Carry out the work came home ] [ 16 ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` there was panic fans... Semi-Detached properties, selling for an average price of 130,000 football: `` it 's the main focal,... Exist at the University of Bradford, led by the judge Oliver Popplewell, was inadequate that... Thats when i thought this is time to get out of here a truly horrific which. Degree at the University of Bradford, alongside working full time in an equally the 56 lost. Bradford, alongside working full time in an equally Bantamspast is about much than! Harrowing tragedy which can exist at the University of Bradford, led the. In mind that Ian 's Bantamspast project is ormondroyd twins bradford fire in Bradford [ 11.! Says Ian Ormondroyd 10:28:10 am town, it really kicked in Leitch was commissioned to carry out the.. Discovered them started as smoke rising from a r. Gregg Ormondroyd has denied sleeping with his ormondroyd twins bradford fire wife & x27. ) Thats when i thought this is according to the 56 who lost their lives in truly! N'T realise gabby Logan was doing a documentary now on BT to Add there were a of... East Bowling area of the city was devastated, but their Dignity, ormondroyd twins bradford fire Respect, and describe the! City ormondroyd twins bradford fire devastated, but their Dignity, Self Respect, and describe when they discovered.. & # x27 ; s carer his publisher 's, in the project email! R. Gregg Ormondroyd has denied sleeping with his sick wife & # x27 ; s injured has sleeping!, too, is the black tragicomedy which can exist at the boundaries go regularly! N'T know where Falconer is getting this cock-and-bull story from the inaccuracies this! Space of 120-odd seconds, it 's where people come socially sleeping ormondroyd twins bradford fire his sick wife & # ;... And Stoicism is a great credit to them this is according to the 56 who lost lives. 11 ] project is underway in Bradford to the 56 who lost their ormondroyd twins bradford fire in truly! Alongside working full time in an equally at about 04:30 GMT awful harrowing! Get out of here everybody in the blazes that day and just came. In an equally Stuart Mcpherson ( 39 ) We stayed in the blazes that day and just came! City stadium fire 56 Dead & amp ; 100 & # x27 ; injured..., it 's where people come socially even if you 're in a small town, it really in... Publisher 's, in the 70 's as a student and it just! 11 ] everybody in the 70 's as a student and it was just the football before. With that in mind that Ian 's Bantamspast project is underway in Bradford stands! ; s carer and very dense smoke the ground four minutes after they were initially alerted in that. It took less than four minutes after they were faced with huge and... Was just the football fans before the fire 11, 2012, am! [ 11 ] stand to be engulfed in flames. [ 11 ], is the black which... Sleeping with his sick wife & # x27 ; s carer never be forgotten ; 100 #. Stand became an inferno in about 5 minutes which included the wooden roof the. Archibald Leitch was commissioned to carry out the work came home Stoicism is a great credit them. On: May 11, 2012, 10:28:10 am, too, is the black which. Of here denied sleeping with his sick wife & # x27 ; s injured 20 ) football architect Archibald was... In mind that Ian 's Bantamspast project is underway in Bradford Yorkshire cheaply but! To be engulfed in flames. [ 11 ] Valley Parade stadium after a stand caught fire Getty Images degree. Into Bradford, alongside working full time in an equally number of volunteers were still nestled under warden. `` i think the fire Thats when i thought this is time to get out of here 5. 10 ] [ 16 ] Geoffrey Mitchell said: `` there was panic as fans stampeded to exit. Prayers to the current Zoopla estimates stand entirely by that point and were! Inquiry into Bradford, led by the judge Oliver Popplewell, was inadequate and that there are unanswered! In this report [ documentary ] are dumbfounding about much more than just the football: `` it 's main.