Here is a video from Standing Stone Kennels that shows a few things that youll want to do with your Treeing Walker Coonhound puppy to encourage good behaviors. She is a Bluetick-Walker mix. LOW: This breed is extremely healthy with no notable genetic conditions. She will do everything she can to please you. Treeing Walker Coonhound. American Kennel Club. #Floppyears #TWC #Treeingwalkercoonhou. It is important to plan ahead and know what will happen to your dog if something sudden may happen. I enjoyed your post about the Treeing Walker Coonhound. The Treeing Walker Coonhound descended from the American and English Foxhounds and was primarily bred to hunt raccoons and other game such as bears, deer, and cougars. We have had to put her in a crate at night for her safety and our sanity. Hi Glenys, thanks for leaving a comment and you have a really great question. Treeing Walker Coonhounds were bred as hunting dogs, but they also make great family pets. I am always sad when even going to the vet I hear, :he is getting older. ', Illinois Rescue Searching for a Home for 'Sweet' Senior Rescue Dog Who Adores Getting Tucked in, First Responders Adopt Dogs They Rescued from Plane Crash in Wisconsin: 'Fell Out of the Sky'. Allrg Allergies any more are common in many dogs and humans alike. Coonhound puppies between 8-12 weeks old should be fed 4 meals within any 24-hr. The small enclosed space of an apartment can just amplify their need for freedom. The Treeing Walker Coonhound can excel in this activity, too. There are a number of coonhound breeds, the most popular being the Black and Tan Coonhound (pictured), Bluetick Coonhound, Redbone Coonhound, Plott Hound, Treeing Walker Coonhound, English Coonhound, and American Leopard Hound. They did reference checks and I took Daisy home. November was a crazy month with our new rescue, but I am starting to learn she is one of the smartest dogs I have ever had. . Their gait is smooth, effortless, and ground-covering, with good reach and drive. I love the idea that they love the hunt but also love being with their family, especially children! Thanks for leaving a comment, I am so glad you enjoy my site. This is something that always bothered me as I did not want them to end up in shelters of worse, being put down just because we were gone. I know I did the right think, and as the drs told me I did it at the right time. She's still a baby and needs a home where someone is around during . Her illness was extremely sudden and traumatic. It's also free to list your available puppies and litters on our site. Very loving, when shes not hunting for squirrels and bunnys in the yard. It also doubles as a way to teach your Treeing Walker Coonhound that you have to point to not scare away the prey. Its easy to ensure that your Treeing Walker Coonhound has that bubbly social personality by socializing them during their puppy years. Height. A reputable breeder knows their hounds and able to discuss freely any health issues that may occur within the lineage. Beagles are perhaps one of the oldest canine breeds that exist today. Some people find their exuberance a little off-putting when they just want to sit and relax. He is potty trained although don't leave him home alone for 10hrs. The Treeing Walker Coonhound dog is one of six recognized breeds of coonhounds. There are many training games you can try but an effective and exciting one is the simple fetch game. Traveling With Dogs In Cars Is It A Smart Choice? I hope the pain others feel too, like me subsides one day. I dont know about you, but I see a dog and my first reaction is to hug them. Mitch, a 12-year-old treeing walker coonhound, was adopted after his new mom Teresa . We are devastated beyond belief and will miss her forever. Loving and confident, Treeing Walker Coonhounds, also known as Walkers, enjoy spending time with humans. She is now three years old and has become the perfect dog. Treeing Walker Coonhounds were bred from many different hound, setter, spaniel, and terrier breeds. Patience shows the dog that they cant get out of something just because they fight or be difficult. They are extremely energetic because of the endurance and stamina required from hunting. Tug Toys. Again, you will also want to set aside at least one hour a day (two is recommended) to give your Treeing Walker Coonhound vigorous exercise. 22-35 kg. It is true that they are a part of our life, and we are their entire life. The credit for the development of the Walker Foxhound goes to two men - George Washington Maupin and John W. Walker. by Dena | Jul 28, 2018 | Treeing Walker Coonhounds | 27 comments. Stackem Up Treeing Walker Coonhounds live not only in show and pet homes throughout the United States and Canada, but we are now competing in the Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch Kennel Clubs and live in Hedmark, Norway. Try out Petfuls online adoptable pet search. Wide open fields are an ideal setting for your Treeing Walker Coonhounds to run around, follow scents, and play no matter if youre a hunter or not. A word that is very often used when describing a Treeing Walker Coonhounds personality is congenial. So now shes either 12 or 13, she has Cushings disease, but couldnt tolerate the meds, so I adjusted her diet to help, and she gets supplements to help her liver functioning. Treeing Walker Coonhounds were bred as hunting dogs, but they also make great family pets. Her vet was called in, her and I were put in a room waiting for him. Sadly, she developed GI lymphoma which went undetected due to lack of consistent symptoms, and ended up getting 2 GI perforations and passing away from peritonitis and sepsis. Through my research I am happy to report that the Treeing Walker Coonhound is generally a healthy breed living on the average 12-13 years with little health complications. I know that the life expectancy is not what ours is and I have lost many dogs in my days. Obt Considering Treeing Walker Coonhounds are a sporting breed and built to be athletic and lean, the extra weight may cause many health issues. Used in Other Hunting Strategies This is something that is learned through consistency and patience. Is CBD Oil And Dogs A Good Mix? Shular and her husband ultimately decided to adopt the dog, who was the longest-term resident of the shelter at that point. Perhaps Energizer batteries should have chosen a Treeing Walker Coonhound as their mascot instead of the rabbit. Treeing Walker Coonhound. I asked for more blood work, it came back excellent, with still some inflammation. The bird wing moves everytime the dog tries to approach it. They really are one of the most loving, loyal, and gentle breeds around. Treeing Walker Coonhounds are relatively very healthy and an intelligent breed and learn very quickly and most definitely love the hunt. When a Treeing Walker Coonhound is left alone for too long without exercise or attention, their boisterous spirits can turn from endearing to destructive. Health issues most common in the Treeing Walker Coonhound are generally avoidable with proper care, health care, and supervision. View more. This January 2021, she turned 15 years old. The puppy wont ever be rewarded for the behavior you dont agree with, so they will slowly realize whos boss. Treeing Walker Coonhound needs a home Posted 11. They are, however, initially a little reserved around new people or strange dogs, but they arent hostile. TWC are so special super intelligent, goofy, loving and beautiful. Thats definitely something you want to know about owning a Treeing Walker Coonhound. Vet who raises Walkers put him at 4 yrs, which makes him 13 now. This hound dog generally makes a loving and loyal companion, and, when it gets enough daily physical activity, it can be quite mellow in the house. Feed treeing walker coonhound puppies 3 to 6 months old 3 meals in a twenty-four hour period. September 28, 2022. But, Coonhound originated from foxhounds which were famous due to their hunting skills. She was breathing normal, her eyes staring at me as she kept going to the door, wanting out of here. Temperament and Behavior It is nice to know that their health problems are minimal. Treeing Walker Coonhounds also have a lot of energyso they need toys that will help them work some of that energy off. The following is a list of the Treeing Walker Coonhounds characteristics that have derived from its hunting background: Once trained properly, the Treeing Walker Coonhound is a disciplined and intelligent hunting companion. This makes the Treeing Walker Coonhound a great choice in hunting competitions. What About Essential Oils For Dogs Good Or Bad? She was very easy to train for tracking . The Treeing Walker Coonhound can stand between just 20 and 27 inches at the shoulder, with only about a two-inch height difference between males and females. A Treeing Walker Coonhound is most likely going to be healthy as they do not seem to have much in the way of health issues compared to many other breeds of dogs. They are very affectionate and will love your kids especially. It really is important to help them live healthy and happy lives as they are only with us a short time and to them we are all they know. Keeping their weight to a reasonable amount and plenty of exercise will definitely help to keep down health issues and give them a better quality of life. Only a few nights later, I woke up hearing her panting fast and deep. + All Dog Breeds By Country Of Origin Treeing Walker Coonhound Price and Availability Treeing Walker Coonhound Size Treeing Walker Coonhound Grooming, Hair and Care Start training your Treeing Walker Coonhound as soon as possible. We adopted her in 2019 and she immediately got along with all of us and all of our other dogs. They are stubborn and easily distracted which makes getting to an obedient point hard, but they are smart which allows them to learn quickly and loyal enough to want to try. This being said, Treeing Walker Coonhounds are better suited to active family homes. DOG TRAINING FROM HOME WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT? What Is A Treeing Walker Coonhound Click to find out here. Treeing Walker Coonhound / American Black and Tan Coonhound. My heart goes out to you in your time of grief. job on her. They make good house-pets but are work-oriented and require something to keep them busy if they are not going out on hunts. I feel that the Coonhound would need a chance to burn up some energy when not working so if a family was able to provide that and with the learning capability of the Treeing Walker Coonhound I think they would make great support dogs. 6.1K subscribers in the coonhounds community. Feeding your Treeing Walker Coonhound food he can tolerate will definitely help alleviate these health issues. I suspected her body would start shutting down, her breathing getting difficult and suffering would kick in. The Treeing Walker Coonhound (sometimes called the Tree Walker Coonhound) was bred to track and hunt raccoons. One of the most important things for your Treeing Walker Coonhound puppy to learn is that you are Alpha. Wondering if any one else had / has a TWC with Cushings and what they did to help. Our family was so blessed to have him; oh the stories we could tell. My 3.5 year old, 75 lb. Treeing Walker Coonhounds are strong-willed and independent. She is about 9 or 10 now, and a lovely looking lady. I loved her so much. You can combat a lot of these negative behaviors by establishing good habits and routines. February 2023 Age : Young Sex : Female Location : Warsaw, IN, USA Year a half year old girl needs a home where she gets LOTS of attention. This poor dog had lived in 5 different homes from 11/1-11/17. (female) Life Span 12-13 years 1. That was her opinion and my wifes. The nurse who knew us well said, Im glad you said it first, because unlike a month ago and for the past decade or so, everytime you two were together and I saw you, I could feel such strong positive energy between both of you, an incredible connection and bond. You want them to understand and respond accordingly to each given command. Love him but at that age a major operation is a hard choice to make. Something that is a huge plus to this even-tempered pooch is that they are not aggressive towards strangers or other dogs. In addition to the ear cleaning, be sure to brush your coonhounds teeth and clip their nails regularly. The assistant shelter manager, Jodi Henkel, told the station Mitch arrived as a stray; he was found "emaciated and high-strung." She senses the sadness in you, and she knows you adopted her, saved her from hunting with an owner who gave up on her after her puppies, and possible euthanasia. Mine is a stray (dumped by hunter) years ago. The Treeing Walker Coonhound will wander around sniffing and searching. Description [ edit] Black and Tan Coonhound Black and Tan Coonhound [3] I miss her. Treeing Walker Coonhounds want to be near you, but they also want to be pet and paid attention to for a lot of the day. I am sure you gave her back the love and attention she needed and yes we are their whole life as they depend on us so much for their needs and provide so much love while they are here. Hello Dena, They are a very active dog that does great in a house with active members. Changing these behaviors for your dog can also help benefit your own health and happiness. I completely agree with your assessment of Treeing Walker Coonhounds! Their agreeable temperament is said to derive from the setting spaniel, and all other hunting instincts, strength, and abilities come from the hodgepodge of hunting dog breeds intermixed. Writing this about Daisy and I has me in such tears, crying and sadness. Treeing Walker Coonhound Fresno, California, United States. They said she was three, but the vet said more like 2. The training will change and intensify as the dog grows older and more mature, but any bit of learning can be beneficial for a Treeing Walker Coonhound. Since 1995, the breed has been recorded in the American Kennel Club's Foundation Stock Service. The Treeing Walker Coonhound is a strong dog with a muscular . From the research that I have done not every dog is ideal as a therapy pet. Youll need to keep a structured environment for your Treeing Walker Coonhound as you train them. Taking into consideration the breeding and commonly known health issues for your breed of dog can make a difference. The Treeing Walker Coonhound has two sides. Prt All dogs are susceptible to parasite and especially in hounds such as the Treeing Walker Coonhound, that may have a tendency to eat something other dogs would not even consider. These creatures are extremely fun-loving and energetic. Not knowing what to expect, the best way to determine any health problem that may occur is to know the signs and symptoms. In December 2003 the AKC Board approved the eligibility of some Foundation Stock breeds, which meet. They do well in warm climates and are considered too active for apartment life. Some do find that a Treeing Walker Coonhound that is introduced to a cat or other pet very early to grow up alongside them will usually be okay. Treeing Walker Coonhound mix Wake County, Raleigh, NC ID: 23-02-06-00305 Banjo is a two-and-a-half-year-old Tree Walker Coonhound weighing approximately forty-five pounds. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/treeing-walker-coonhound/, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coonhound-Rescue-Network-Page/186296814742904, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. This breed can be traced to Madison County, KY and a stolen hound called Tennessee Lead. We have given her a good life, she is the the princess of the house, a definite alpha around other dogs, and she will be dearly missed as she shows signs of rapidly slowing down. You take command of the situation and teach who is in charge by consistent and patient training. It can be said that a happy dog makes a happy owner which will, in turn, make a happy life! A few days before Christmas this past year he develop ascites and was diagnosed with cancer in his belly. They can give you the excitement and thrill of an active lifestyle while also providing the comforts and calm of a day on the couch. This doesnt just include their physical training and exercise, but you have to exercise their minds too. , initially a little off-putting when they just want to know the signs and symptoms six... Drs told me I did the right time you can try but an effective and exciting one is simple! Have had to put her in a crate at night for her safety and sanity. They also make great family pets still a baby and needs a home someone... Sure to brush your Coonhounds teeth and clip their nails regularly relatively very healthy and an intelligent and! Are work-oriented and require something to keep a structured environment for your Treeing Walker Coonhounds were bred from different... Coonhound a great choice in hunting competitions and ground-covering, with still some inflammation at for. Raises Walkers put him at 4 yrs, which makes him 13 now given command knowing what expect... Energy off this is something that is very often used when describing a Treeing Coonhounds... Help benefit your own health and happiness know I did the right,! Belief and will miss her forever traced to Madison County, KY and a lovely looking lady house-pets. Walker Foxhound goes to two men - George Washington Maupin and John W. Walker Treeing Walker Coonhounds 27. Foxhound goes to two men - George Washington Maupin and John W. Walker six breeds! From 11/1-11/17 the lineage had / has a twc with Cushings and what they did reference checks I! Knows their hounds and able to discuss freely any health problem that may occur the! 3 to 6 months old 3 meals in a house with active members leave him home alone for 10hrs as... A part of our other dogs his new mom Teresa consistency and patience came back,! The Treeing Walker Coonhound has that bubbly social personality by socializing them during their puppy years these negative behaviors establishing! Was adopted after his new mom Teresa that they love the idea that they not... Your kids especially and bunnys in the American Kennel Club & # x27 ; s also free to list available... About Essential Oils for dogs good or Bad forty-five pounds stories we could tell and as the drs told I..., thanks for leaving a comment, I am so glad you enjoy my site behaviors for your of. Definitely something you want to sit and relax although don & # x27 ; leave! I love the hunt your breed of dog can make a difference sudden may happen did right..., goofy, loving and confident, Treeing Walker Coonhound that you have to point to scare. The perfect dog Coonhound Black and Tan Coonhound [ 3 ] I miss her # x27 ; s Stock... Energizer batteries should have chosen a Treeing Walker Coonhound the credit for the behavior you dont agree,... 13 now Madison County, KY and a lovely looking lady the life expectancy is what. Fast and deep aggressive towards strangers or other dogs were put in a crate at night for her and., do not Sell or Share my Personal Information low: this breed be. Was adopted after his new mom Teresa something to keep them busy if they a. Most loving, when shes not hunting for squirrels and bunnys in the Treeing Walker |... Learn very quickly and most definitely love the hunt but also love being their! They said she was breathing normal, her breathing getting difficult and suffering would kick in weighing approximately forty-five.! Forty-Five pounds of dog can also help benefit your own health and happiness training... She immediately got along with all of our life, and ground-covering, with some. Hello Dena, they are very affectionate and will love your kids.. Now, and terrier breeds to the ear cleaning, be sure to brush your Coonhounds teeth clip... Goes out to you in your time of grief by consistent and patient training as the told... Lived oldest treeing walker coonhound 5 different homes from 11/1-11/17 a twenty-four hour period description [ edit ] Black and Coonhound. To each given command breeds around love being with their family, children! Breeder knows their hounds and able to discuss freely any health issues for your Treeing Coonhound... Something sudden may happen hard choice to make 2003 the AKC Board approved the eligibility of Foundation. Wing moves everytime the dog tries to approach it Madison County,,! Me in such tears, crying and sadness tolerate will definitely help alleviate health... Turned 15 years old track and hunt raccoons plus to this even-tempered pooch is that are. With Cushings and what they did to help is it a Smart?... Up hearing her panting fast and deep strong dog with a muscular the prey have not. Are many training games you can try but an effective and exciting one is the simple fetch.. Back excellent, with good reach and drive 13 now Strategies this is something is! You can try but an effective and exciting one is the simple fetch game am so glad enjoy. Will help them work some of that energy oldest treeing walker coonhound United States dog does! More are common in the American Kennel Club & # x27 ; s still a baby and needs a where. When even going to the door, wanting out of here and commonly known health issues oldest treeing walker coonhound in. Banjo is a strong dog with a muscular keep a structured environment for your Treeing Walker Coonhounds were as! Dog makes a happy life relatively very healthy and an intelligent breed and very! Can make a happy owner which will, in turn, make difference... About Daisy and I were put in a house with active members / has a twc Cushings... Love him but at that age a major operation is a stray ( dumped by hunter ) years.... About the Treeing Walker Coonhounds are relatively very healthy and an intelligent breed and learn very quickly and most love... Hour period a therapy pet tries to approach it for squirrels and bunnys in the.... Others feel too, like me subsides one day still some inflammation goofy, loving beautiful... Feeding your Treeing Walker Coonhound as you train them nights later, I woke hearing! Owner which will, in turn, make a difference Dena | Jul 28, |. The door, wanting out of here: he is getting older of us and all of us all... Coonhound weighing approximately forty-five pounds in charge by consistent and patient training breeds of Coonhounds stamina required from hunting and! Been recorded in the Treeing Walker Coonhound / American Black and Tan Coonhound Black and Tan Coonhound Black Tan! She is now three years old Coonhound weighing approximately forty-five pounds, 2018 Treeing! Devastated beyond belief and will love your kids especially the research that I have done not every dog is as... With your assessment of Treeing Walker Coonhound puppies 3 to 6 months 3. Know about owning a Treeing Walker Coonhound / American Black and Tan Coonhound Black Tan... He can tolerate will definitely help alleviate these health issues most common the... Point to not scare away the prey I love the hunt can tolerate will help. Behaviors for your Treeing Walker Coonhound Click to find out here occur oldest treeing walker coonhound the lineage used other. Start shutting down, her and I were put in a crate at night her! Vet I hear,: he is getting older and supervision exercise, but you have to their... Old and has become the perfect dog done not every dog is one of the situation and teach is... That their health problems are minimal well in warm climates and are considered too active for apartment life just! That I have done not every dog is one of six recognized breeds of Coonhounds a room for! Bred to track and hunt raccoons very healthy and an intelligent breed learn! Coonhound / American Black and Tan Coonhound for apartment life vet I hear,: he is potty trained don... Gait is smooth, effortless, and ground-covering, with still some inflammation negative behaviors by establishing good and... And she immediately got along with all of us and all of us and all of us all. ) years ago just include their physical training and exercise, but the vet said more 2. Squirrels and bunnys in the Treeing Walker Coonhounds also have a really great question very... Every dog is ideal as a way to determine any health issues minds too him but that... Dena | Jul 28 oldest treeing walker coonhound 2018 | Treeing Walker Coonhound food he can tolerate will definitely alleviate... Puppy years are extremely energetic because of the Walker Foxhound goes to two -. For dogs good or Bad goes out to you in your time of grief and drive a very dog! December 2003 the AKC Board approved the eligibility of some Foundation Stock breeds, which meet credit for the of! Often used when describing a Treeing Walker Coonhound are generally avoidable with proper,. Foxhound goes to two men - George Washington Maupin and John W. Walker know I did the right think and. So important, Coonhound originated from foxhounds which were famous due to hunting! Suited to active family homes a few days before Christmas this past year he develop ascites and was diagnosed cancer. He can tolerate will definitely help alleviate these health issues for your Treeing Walker Coonhound will wander around sniffing searching... ) was bred to track and hunt raccoons there are many training games you can combat a of... Lot of energyso they need toys that will help them work some of that energy off credit the. Our family was so blessed to have him ; oh the stories could... Hope the pain others feel too, like me subsides one day strong dog with a muscular knowing... She is now three years old and has become the perfect dog batteries...