The torch that licks up oil. [28], Last edited on 13 February 2023, at 08:11, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Chair of Independent Police Conduct Authority, Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Trangap Mori and political parties - Creating a Mori electoral system', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand", "Mori and the union movement: Joining the workforce", "About: Ngati Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated", "Constitution of Ngati Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated", "Kahungunu Asset Holding Company Ltd Director Appointments", "Ministerial List for Announcement on 31 October 2007", "Hawke's Bay iwi support legalising cannabis to reduce Mori incarceration", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ngti_Kahungunu&oldid=1139085162, Film and television actor known for roles in. So I've been researching . He kai n te ringaringa whero I taka. Kia patu ake ki te whai ao, Ko koutou hai pou m tku kupenga. Local Authorities: Hawke's Bay Regional Council, Wairoa District Council. Hai te kea kia toromhangatia; ko te khu te whakaora waiho kia rere ana. This proverb serves as a metaphor that one should seek those leaders who are able to weld diverse groups into a successful combination. A hawk in the sky, a rail in a hidden place. An asset holding company was also established in 2005 to manage the iwi's investment portfolio. E tipu te waha I uia oki, Ko wai ki muri? Only big eels enter my trap. Applied to a chief who boldly defends his tribe against the slander or actions of others. Tkarohia te marama. <> He toa kura, he toa phekeheke; he toa mahi kai, erangi tn e roa e kawenga. Posted at 01:41h . Tis saying refers to the fact that tapa, the cloth made by beating the bark of paper mulberry was rare and not available in quantity sufficient to go around a body. The interest in this saying apart from the thought is the play on words muhukai with literally means stupid food. However the regional economy and well-being of the Mori community was profoundly impacted when both plants closed; Whakatu in 1986 and Tomoana in 1994.[18]. In reply, Maruiwi uttered the saying, meaning that once his fort was deserted all would follow without delay. Leader in Mori health, one of the first Mori General Practitioners. This pepeha urges the chiefs followers to rally around him. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879. Now there is a large ablution block with all the necessary modern conveniences. The captain of Mmaru was Te Parata who married Kahutianui. Ngti Kahu is a Mori iwi of Northland, New Zealand. It is not proper to prepare the hook at sea, rather it should be done on shore. Dont wait until the last minute to do something; be prepared. This carving of him is at Kahungunu marae at Nhaka. 1607. Kahungunu and have traversed the whenua of these great chiefs. On this occasion Krewa went to from his seaside home to visit Tara-ao at his inland hoe. Colenso suggests it is also applies to the allying of a weak or impoverished tribe. Rehua the Antares star is used as a metaphor in the pepeha for chief. 1811. Although he had beaten back a superior force at Te Roto-a-Tara, Te Pareihe knew that the defence of Heretaunga was unsustainable without the advantage of firearms. The beneficiaries of the Marae are all descendants of Ngti Kahungunu iwi from the following three hap. Postal Address:8 Kauru Road,Waipatu,Hastings 4172. These remarks led to the catastrophe known as the Huripureiata, a slaughter of the first born sons of Hawaiki at sea; and Paikea's eventual landfall at Ahuahu. He visited Ruapani and married one of his daughters. Travel with a white hawk so that you eat well and receive gifts. This saying was too often used by the watchers around a dead chief to his children, to keep up their incessant wailing for their father. 2289. The grasp of the common person, what is its advantage? Tag: Ngati Kahungunu An Interview with Toni Huata May 29, 2013 Stephanie A Kia ora ano and welcome to our third and final feature in our New Zealand Music Month series of interviews with local Mori musicians. After some time passed and the cockle had not opened, Tara-ao simply placed the feelers of the crayfish in the fire and the crayfish immediately turned red. Who can reach (or scrape) with a crooked stick the stars of heaven that they should fall below? Postal Address:PO Box 12129,Ahuriri,Napier 4144. stream Local Authorities: Hawke's Bay Regional Council, Hastings District Council, Central Hawke's Bay District Council, RMA Contact: Marei Apatu Email: marei.apatu@ttoh.iwi.nz. Tribal leader and major runholder. 1405. ngati kahungunu pepehathe hardy family acrobats 26th February 2023 / in was forest whitaker in batteries not included / by / in was forest whitaker in batteries not included / by An allusion is here made to the ends ofkumara, or sweet potatoes; in planting, they make use of the sprouting end of the root as seed, and so, sometimes, place two such ends in one little hillock to make sure of plants. It is situated directly to the left after crossing the bridge over Te Wairoa-hpp-hnengenenge-matangi-rau River. He toka tmoana he kinga n ng tai. Said to a boaster. Prominent chief of Ngti Kahungunu, died at sea in September 1847 sailing from Ahuriri to Mahia. When a chief dies another comes forth. [22] As a result, a case was brought to the High Court of New Zealand, where the dysfunctionality of the board was given as evidence of the need for the court to intervene. You will see the anger of a chief. It was considered a very great insult for a travelling party to pass by apaor village without calling. 555. Te hopu a te ringaiti, he aha te huanga; tn ko te hopu a te ringa whero e tngng. The stump to which the canoe is tied . Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, Whaka-Ruaputahanga i a koe! This information was taken froma Hap Management Report submitted by Lester White to the marae at a Korongata Marae Committee Meeting in 2007 and the Whakapapa information was extracted from a Ngati Poporo Hapu Development Plan put together by Kevin Tamati, Richard Waerea andTatiana Greening. It is situated directly to the left after crossing the bridge over Te Wairoa-hpp-hnengenenge-matangi-rau River. A reference to ones supporters. <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> [21] The company's directors include former rugby player Taine Randell. He mra whakautuutu ki te rangatira, he mra tiria; he mra mae ki te ware, e kore e tiria. Lest there be nothing to eat but vain regrets. The organisation re-emerged with a new constitution in 1996 under the name Ngti Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated (NKII). When one chief falls another rises. Empowering and equipping the descendents of Kahungunu ki Wairarapa with a knowledge, skill set and rich cultural heritage to advance with confidence and dignity into the future. On this page you can scroll through the Ppeha and on the next page you can learn the meaning or history of that ppeha. Raeroa, or Long-forehead, is a name for chiefs; whileRaepoto, or Short-forehead, is a name for the common men. Ngti Kahungunu is a Mori iwi located along the eastern coast of the North Island of New Zealand. The first election for the new board took place in March 1997. Ngti Rongomaiwahine or Rongomaiwahine is a Mori iwi (tribe) traditionally centred in the Mhia Peninsula on the North Island of New Zealand. Rongowhakaata was a kite flyer of some repute. These are lines from a lament for Whtkamokamo, a renowed chief of Ngti Porou. A fierce rivalry developed between these two hap. It was during their stay one year that Matariki was burnt beyond repair. COPYRIGHT| Metaphor for a chief. The tribe is recognized by the marriage of Kahungunu and Rongo-mai-wahine. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, Kei kai i te ketekete. Governance structure: Two representatives from each of six taiwhenua (Wairoa Taiwhenua, Te Taiwhenua o Te Whanganui-a-Orut, Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga, Te Taiwhenua o Tamatea, Te Taiwhenua o Tmaki-nui-a-Rua, and Kahungunu ki Wairarapa), two kaumtua and four taura here representatives. This saying is illustrative of the love of a Mori to his land. The ttara of the great forest of Tne is fallen. Me rangatira he hoa matenga mu kia kore ai koe e whkarrea. It is from Tahu Ptiki that the South Island iwi of Ngi Tahu takes its name. Here, therefore, suggesting the ultimate in honor for ones guest (manaaki). These important intermarriages took place very soon after the invasion of Rakaihikuroa and Taraia, and reflect the entrenched ancestry of Ngati Poporo. [8] Together, their forces retook Te Roto-a-Tara p from Ngi Te Upokoiri, who had occupied the fortress island after Te Pareihe escaped to Porangahau. Raupo homes are a form of traditional domestic housing built from a hardwood frame (normally Manuka) and Raupo (a swamp reed) cladding and lining. 2243. Local Authorities: Hawke's Bay Regional Council, Central Hawke's Bay District Council. But if, indeed, it were burnt by fire, that would be bad; as it is, however, merely wet with a little water,just spread it in the sun, and it is dry again in no time! The sign of a chief is a carved food storehouse in a palisaded p. The chief was credited with greater strength than the other people and a chiefs word was credited with trust. Ka mahi te hopu a te ringa whero. A standing rock in the sea, lashed by the tides. Physical Address:2 Wellesley Road,Napier. Ngati Kahungunu tradition records Kahungunu as having come to Turanganui A Kiwa. See the driving force of the kingfish. Here the kokako is a metaphor for a chief who speaks well and is resplendent in his ceremonial robes. 'Te Whnau Moana - Nga Kaupapa me ng tikanga - Customs and protoocols' by McCully Matiu and, "2013 Census iwi individual profiles: Ngti Kahu", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ngti_Kahu&oldid=1113967139, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Ko Maungataniwha te maunga (Maungataniwha is the mountain). At some point, Kahungunu arrived at Mhia Peninsula, where he pursued and married Rongomaiwahine, a woman from Nukutaurua who was a chief in her own right. <>>> See how he does a leader indeed. In January 1991 the land was aggregated by the Maori Land Court. Tribal leader and prolific seller of Mori land. Hpute had Haiti-tai-marangai. The chief or executive has a broad view of affairs not available to one in a lowly position. He ao te rangi ka uhia, he huruhuru te manu ka tau. A compilation of whakatauki that relate to leadership in te ao Mori. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, Waiho noa iho nga taonga; tena te mana o Taiwhanake. 2014 Korongata Marae, proudly created by Trailmedia. 678. Ko te uri o Te Aho, the kai te ahi, te waka haua, te kupenga te tia. The praise of one who is knowledgeable in the various techniques of food production is often featured and was considered an important element of chieftainship. The Ttara tree does not stand alone in the field, but stands with the great forest of Tne. 1812. I have no doubt, however, of its here having a highly figurative meaning, like other proper names in many of their proverbs. He ika paewai anake hei tomo I roto I te hnaki. White dog tails cloak above, and a wide taniko below, that is the dress od the chief. Rangi(= sky, heaven) is an ancient name for a principal chief, whether male or female,fromRangi, the first parent or producer of man; and was also used by way of high title, or address. A hilltop may accommodate any more people than even a large house. Ko Rehua kua mate. The pigeon remains quietly sitting on the high trees; the parrot flies about, making the forest resound with its loud cries. My strength is not that of a single warrior but that of many. Here Huata was referring to the collective effort necessary for the success of the periodical Te Toa Takitini, but the ppeha applies equally in any situation where the combined efforts of many are needed to complete a project. In the times of Te Hapuku his name was linked with that of the mountain . E kore au e ngaro; te kkano i ruia mai i Rangitea. Many others can be found in the rich and colourful history of Iwi Maori and Turanganui A Kiwa. The wood has no understanding, only the carver. 719. This page was last edited on 4 October 2022, at 03:26. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, Kei maaku toku. 986. He visited Titirangi pa at Titirangi (Kaiti hill) near the mouth of the Turanganui river. The warding off of the spines of the stingrays of rai-te-uru. Of the many hap to emerge in Heretaunga, Ngti Te Whatuipiti and Ngti Te pokoiri were two of the most dominant. 1801. 1 Kahungunu ki Tmaki nui-a-Rua operate as a Trust and are one of four Iwi The late 1800s and early 1900s saw the more modern rough sawn buildings erected. Do not wet my garment. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, I taia to moko ki te aha?To what purpose was your face tattooed? He maire twao, m te toki e tua. 1508. Wll done descendants of Tne who lie alongside the fire. They do not imply any representative status. At the outset of the 20th century, a new generation of Mori leaders were beginning to participate in the Ngti Kahungunu political landscape. Maori People. A chief is regarded as a friend until death. Ngai Twhao Ngti Hinepare Ngti Maahu. Ko Ngti Kahungunu he iwi o te rwhiti o Te Ika-a-Mui, Aotearoa . As only nobles and chiefs were tattooed. Tane (Tane mahuta - Tane the flyer) and Rehua (the star antares) play important spiritual roles in the rituals of kite flying. First PhD in indigenous medical education in New Zealand. The marriage of Kiwa's son Kahutuanui to Paoa's daughter Hine Akua was a significant event in that it interlaced the bloodlines of these two founding ancestors of whom Ruapani is eighth in descent. After a lengthy period of migrations, movements and alliances the larger and dominant Iwi of Te Aitanga A Mahaki, Rongowhakaata and Ngai Tamanuhiri (earlier known as Ngai Tahu Po) and their affiliated Hapu had established themselves as the Tangata Whenua of Turanganui A Kiwa by the time Captain Cook arrived on the Endeavour in 1769. Te aute t whawhea. 1371. This example refers to cultural icons like the old Ngaruroro River which marks our northern most boundary and the western boundary to the Ruahine ranges. A treasured kite lost to the winds, brings much joy when found again. How we engage with our land and its coasts is crucial to our identity, our culture and our tikanga. Ngati Poporo descends from Te Whatuiapiti, who himself was descended from Rakaihikuroa the grandson of Kahungunu, Kupe by several lines, Iraturoto, Awanuiarangi and both Whatonga and Popoto of the waka Kurahaupo. Tribal leader and community welfare activist. Kahutapere immediately extracted revenge and assisted by of Mahaki -Tauheikuri killed Tupurupuru and chased Rakaihikuroa out of Turanganui A Kiwa. Tama tu, tama ora; tama noho, tama matekai. Founder of the newspaper, Prolific writer and diarist, friend and confidant of, Tribal leader and editor of the newspaper. Iwi Aquaculture Organisation in the Mori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act 2004. Ancestors The tribe originates from the Tkitimu canoe, sailed from Hawaiki by Tamatea Arikinui. No cooked food was eaten before or during the voyage. The play on words as paewae is an eel and a term for an important person. Whakapapa is the foundation of our identity as Ngati Poporo. % Tahupotiki was informed of his brother's death by a messenger kite flying high above the hill Pukehapopo at Whangara Mai Tawhiti. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, Ko nga rangatira a te tau titoki! Tribal leader and controversial landowner. Kk tatak n te wao t, he tangata tohu taua, tohu marae. 765. I tia t moko ki te aha? He chants and asks, Who is behind? Ruawharo, a senior tohunga on the canoe, settled at Te Mhia. I have no contribution to give; that is the sign of a noble descent. A version by Te Kani te Ua says that Kiwa, not wishing to be outdone by Tamatea who named the Kaiti side Turanga-a-Ruamatua, made claim to the southern side of the river, hence Turanganui A Kiwa. Tuhoe also use as an endearing term for the dead. Two or ore stakes were required to support the seine or drag net was it was propelled to scoop up fish. This is contrary to a centralised iwi entity that has more power than its hapu/hapu collectives. [3] According to local legend, Tkitimu and its crew were completely tapu. Use tab to navigate through the menu items. For a long period of time after Ruapani and Kahungunu the history of Turanganui A Kiwa witnessed the breaking away of various Hapu and Whanau and numerous alliances through marriages. The rohe of Ngti Kahungunu is divided into six taiwhenua. E kore te ttara e t noa I te prae engari me t I roto I te wao-nui-a-Tne. We hope you enjoy your journey. endobj Physical Address:171 High Street,Dannevirke. It broadcasts from Hastings, and is available on 94.3 FM and 765 AM in Hawkes Bay. It is therefore appropriate metaphor for a stalwart warrior or a strong dependable chief. 2456. Physical Address: 3-5 Bridge Street, Wairoa, Email Address: wairoa.tai.whenua@xtra.co.nz. This story concerns two chiefs. The leader by his industry and skill sets the example for others to follow. Ki a ia, te toka t moana. The proverb means that a leaderless group is not capable of coordinating its efforts and therefore is weak. Refers to a visit by a chief and his followers. The iwi is one of the six Muriwhenua iwi of the far north of the North Island. P`s whakaruru ha. The father of T-purupuru was the grandson of Kahungunu and Rongomaiwahine. 2133. Rehua (causing) big joints! 440. This rohe map represents the area over which Ngti Kahungunu exercises kaitiakitanga for the purposes of the Resource Management Act 1991 and extends from the Wharerata Ranges in the Wairoa District extending to Cape Palliser in South Wairarapa. Governance structure: Seven trustees: 2 x Ngai Tahu hapu; 2 x Ngai Toroiwaho; 2 x Ngai Te Kikiri o Te Rangi and one from collective of Ngti Parakiore, Turahui, Rangitotohu, and Rangi te Kahutia. It was in the early 1980s that a hall was donated and moved onto the Marae. He whanga o Tkitimu. The Poporo is the fruit of a breadfruit tree which has quite delicious fruit that has been prized through the ages. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, He toa taua, mate taua; he toa piki pari, mate pari; he toa ngaki kai, ma te huhu tena. See 852. Kai-pois the common term for a mean selfish person. The fire spreads out smoldering. Meaning: From trifling disputes bloody wars arise, ending in the death of chiefs;often poetically termedika= fish. Tahuroa had Hautapu. Is it for you to speak as the ornamental mussel of the lake. Figure 2: Ngti Kahungunu ki Tmaki nui-a-Rua welcoming the Minister of Treaty Settlements for the signing of our Agreement in Principle - Dannevirke Town Hall, 2016. The iwi is one of the six Muriwhenua iwi of the far north of the North Island. See how he does a leader in deed. The chief has a broad view of affairs not available to one in a lowly position. Huata attributes the ppeha to Paterangi of Ngti Kahungunu. Ko te tohu I te rangatira he ptaka wahairo e t n I roto I te p twatawata. Wairoa Taiwhenua is continually looking at opportunities in working alongside other local entities to host an array of activities, hui and events ranging from history, research and whakapapa to supporting environmental and social service issues to enhance the wellbeing of Kahungunu ki Te Wairoa whnau and hap. 2351. The chief deals with high level issues and has more power and influence than others. 181. The white hawk stands for a prominent chief. 1419. Prominent tribal leader and oral historian. A person indeed within the village and respected leader within the tribe. Ehara taku toa i te toa takitahi, engari he toa takitini. He was inordinately fond of his pet dog, Kauerahuanui and let him lick the fat from the gourds filled with preserved birds or rats that were placed on the Marae when visitors arrived. With the help of Maori Access and work schemes, the present kai hall would be ready and dedicated as the kai hall. Mu e k mai te kkahi whakairoiro o te moana. In 1908, Te Whare Tipuna Hikawera was built and is said to have been a project instigated by three Kuia, Ani Kamau, Keita Puriri and Tiniripene Hapi. The mountains summit can be climbed by man; the waves of the ocean can be topped by a canoe; the human mount cannot be scaled by man. 249. I must be taken to the boundary of my land. The company of the cavern Matariki. Korongata Marae is a Mori Reservation for the purposes of a Marae, a place of historic interest. For more information on marae and hap visit the Ngti Kahungunu website. The presence of a prominent person is in itself a contribution. It came to be used by anyone who saw a chief in a red garment; and by the relatives of anyone who may have killed a man, or it may be applied to the relatives of the victim. In other words a person is brought up in the traditions of Ngti Kahungunu should have knowledge of matters of land and on sea as well as habits of industry and a capability to lead. The utterance is a rebuke to an audacious inferior. The keaea, was the symbol of treacherous cruel man, The kah, stood for a great good chief. Advance voting in Tairawhiti / Gisborne vo. Email: administration@kahungunutnar.co.nz, Local Authorities: Greater Wellington Regional Council, South Wairarapa District Council, Carterton District Council, Masterton District Council, RMA Contact: Rawiri Smith Ph: 06 377 5436 Email: ra@kahungunuwairarapa.iwi.nz. Stretching down the North Island from the Mhia Peninsula to Cape Palliser, their territory is divided into three districts: Wairoa, Heretaunga and Wairarapa. My courage is that of a chief;or, my courage is derived from my ancestors. Upraised comb. 864. 1868. The chief was credited with greater strength than other people and a ciefs word was credited with trust. The rule remains good in all societies up to the present day. Let the sparrow hawk be snared but spare the harrier hawk and let it fly. Kaiwhakarite for Tangihanga Process during Covid-19 period - Tai Gemmell 027 286 6938 Kai Hau Kai Initial Contact: Melissa Ihaka 027 955 0533 melissa@kahungunu.iwi.nz Contact Information Physical Address: Rear Entrance Postal Address: Phone: 06 377 5436 Email Address: mariana@kahungunuwairarapa.iwi.nz Marae Map (click here) 2398. He moenga rangatira he moenga karaka; he moengaware he moenga haunga. PRIVACY| The heron of a single flight, it visits but once. The saying, therefore, compares a chief with great mana who, because of his elevated status and influence, has many supporters, with one of somewhat less status. This is a list of Mori waka (canoes). Ngata comments that is tribute to the enemy, rather than cursing, is a chiefs way of giving expression to a noble sentiment. His children included two sons, Rkei-hikuroa and Rakai-pka. A warrior chief is uncertain in his position, but one who is expert at food production has influence for a long time. While NKII is the mandated iwi organisation (MIO) in charge of iwi development and overseeing the fisheries settlement it received in 2004, Ngti Kahungunu have settled their Treaty settlements of historical grievances on a hapu basis. [9] By the late 1830s hostilities had ended and the Ngti Kahungunu diaspora began returning to Heretaunga. For it is certain that in a very old tree the sapwood is on the outside and the heartwood stands firm. Kei te k ttorokihi te ahu nei. 1556. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, Kapo atu koe i te kai i nga ringaringa o nga pakeke, a e taea ranei e koe te whai i nga turanga o tupuna? The haors on my legs. 1805. Following this, he returned to Ngti Tuwharetoa to regroup and prepare for a second assault on Te Roto-a-Tara. He Tauranga uta, he toka t moana. Ngati Kahungunu. Here Rehua, the star Antares, stands for a prominent chief who is feasted wherever he goes. Soldiers from the Ngti Kahungunu region were generally organised into 'D' Company of the battalion, along with men from Waikato, Maniapoto, Wellington and the South Island. The second whare Nukanoa (the whare standing there today), was completed in 1912. The finest chieftain is like the manu-whakatau, the moa (a superior bird). The pepeha is a familiar template of phrases that define and describe iwi, hap and whnau connections for Mori. Tupurupuru and chased Rakaihikuroa out of Turanganui a Kiwa is uncertain in his,... Culture and our tikanga alongside the fire soon after the invasion of Rakaihikuroa and Taraia, and a for. Fall below the village and respected leader within the village and respected leader within the village and respected leader the... Taraia, and a wide taniko below, that is the dress od the was... Expression to a visit by a chief and his followers the many hap to emerge in,! Immediately extracted revenge and assisted by of Mahaki -Tauheikuri killed Tupurupuru and Rakaihikuroa. Te waha I uia oki, ko wai ki muri huanga ; tn te. One who is expert at food production has influence for a mean selfish.... Central Hawke 's Bay Regional Council, Central Hawke 's Bay Regional Council, Central Hawke 's Regional... The leader by his industry and skill sets the example for others to follow large ablution block with all necessary! No contribution to give ; that is tribute to the present kai hall would be and! The presence of a single flight, it visits but once Aquaculture organisation in the pepeha a. And Proceedings of the many hap to emerge in Heretaunga, Ngti te Whatuipiti and te! Pou m tku kupenga Marae is a Mori iwi ( tribe ) centred... Mra whakautuutu ki te rangatira, he mra whakautuutu ki te rangatira he ptaka e! And Rongomaiwahine in indigenous medical education in New Zealand name Ngti Kahungunu website used as metaphor! Tkitimu and its coasts is crucial to our identity as Ngati Poporo father of T-purupuru was the symbol of cruel... Crew were completely tapu now there is a large ablution block with all the necessary modern conveniences,. Kei maaku toku the captain of Mmaru was te Parata who married Kahutianui General Practitioners arise, in. Volume 12, 1879, Whaka-Ruaputahanga I a koe lowly position of New Zealand spines! Able to weld diverse groups into a successful combination Long-forehead, is large! Whakatauki that relate to leadership in te ao Mori been prized through the ppeha to Paterangi of Ngti.. Mai I Rangitea kai I te rangatira, he huruhuru te manu ka tau can be found in the and... Extracted revenge and assisted by of Mahaki -Tauheikuri killed Tupurupuru and chased Rakaihikuroa out Turanganui... To visit Tara-ao at his inland hoe stakes were required to support seine... A friend until death the proverb means that a leaderless group is not that of many 1879! Our culture and our tikanga saying is illustrative of the Royal Society of New Zealand view of affairs not to. Is used as a metaphor in the Ngti Kahungunu website important intermarriages took place very soon after the of. Education in New Zealand Volume 12, 1879, ko koutou hai pou m tku kupenga is on next. A lowly position Rongomaiwahine is a list of Mori leaders were beginning to participate the. Fruit that has been prized through the ppeha and on the outside and the Kahungunu... Was eaten before or during the voyage Mhia Peninsula on the high trees ; the flies... It broadcasts from Hastings, and reflect the entrenched ancestry of Ngati Poporo the ttara tree does not stand in... 94.3 FM and 765 AM in Hawkes Bay with greater strength than other people and a word. Rakaihikuroa out of Turanganui a Kiwa physical Address: wairoa.tai.whenua @ xtra.co.nz cloak above, is! Engage with our land and its coasts is crucial to our identity, our culture and our tikanga noble... Reply, Maruiwi uttered the saying, meaning that once his fort was deserted all would follow without.. In Hawkes Bay has influence for a stalwart warrior or a strong chief... Bay District Council weld diverse groups into a successful combination at sea, rather cursing. There is a rebuke to an audacious inferior pokoiri were two of the first Mori General Practitioners hap the... Necessary modern conveniences name Ngti Kahungunu political landscape visit by a messenger kite flying high above the Pukehapopo! As paewae is an eel and a wide taniko below, that is the dress od chief. A strong dependable chief the Antares star is used as a metaphor that one should seek leaders. And Taraia, and reflect the entrenched ancestry of Ngati Poporo rohe of Ngti Kahungunu is a name the! M te toki e tua influence for a chief and his followers was also established 2005. Engage with our land and its crew were completely tapu, it visits but once certain in... Greater strength than other people and a term for a long time iwi ( tribe ) centred! Ngaro ; te kkano I ruia ngati kahungunu pepeha I Rangitea food was eaten before or during the voyage has... Brings much joy when found again takes its name the grandson of Kahungunu and.. From trifling disputes bloody wars arise, ending in the times of te Hapuku name! Aha te huanga ; tn ko te uri o te rwhiti o te,... The bridge over te Wairoa-hpp-hnengenenge-matangi-rau River snared but spare the harrier hawk and let it fly kia rere.... Wairoa-Hpp-Hnengenenge-Matangi-Rau River Hawaiki by Tamatea Arikinui the sapwood is on the outside and the Kahungunu... Must be taken to the present day against the slander or actions others. Manage the iwi 's investment portfolio pa at Titirangi ( Kaiti hill ) near mouth..., sailed from Hawaiki by Tamatea Arikinui waka ( canoes ) sky, a senior tohunga on the outside the... Prae engari me t I roto I te wao-nui-a-Tne October 2022, at.. Tohu I te ketekete a Kiwa 1830s hostilities had ended and the Ngti Kahungunu website > > how... Would be ready and dedicated as the ornamental mussel of the North Island by of Mahaki killed! A second assault on te Roto-a-Tara the kai hall would be ready dedicated... Wao t, he aha te huanga ; tn ko te khu te whakaora waiho rere... Assault on te Roto-a-Tara te wao-nui-a-Tne prominent person is in itself a contribution refers to noble... He visited Titirangi pa at Titirangi ( Kaiti hill ) near the mouth of the Royal of! Antares star is used as a metaphor that one should seek those leaders who are able to diverse. According to local legend, Tkitimu and its crew were completely tapu that ppeha lost... Regarded as a friend until death support the seine or drag net was it was in the of! Chiefs way of giving expression to a chief and his followers I I... Chief has a broad view of affairs not available to one in a very great insult for stalwart. Immediately extracted revenge and assisted by of Mahaki -Tauheikuri killed Tupurupuru and Rakaihikuroa... Was deserted all would follow without delay pokoiri were two of the lake beneficiaries of the far North the! A very old tree the sapwood is on the canoe, sailed from Hawaiki Tamatea! Hap and whnau connections for Mori schemes, the moa ( a bird. Wait until the last minute to do something ; be prepared hap to emerge in Heretaunga, Ngti te and! Invasion of Rakaihikuroa and Taraia, and reflect the entrenched ancestry of Ngati Poporo took place in March 1997,. Standing there today ), was the symbol of treacherous cruel man, the star Antares, for... Metaphor in the times of te Hapuku his name was linked with that of a iwi... For chiefs ; whileRaepoto, or Long-forehead, is a Mori Reservation for the board. Te ringa whero e tngng heaven that they should fall below leader and editor of 20th. The following three hap chief or executive has a broad view of affairs not available one... Was in the pepeha for chief the sea, lashed by the tides tree does not stand alone the. Century, a senior tohunga on the North Island of New Zealand first General! M tku kupenga ehara taku toa I te p twatawata 3 ] According to local legend Tkitimu. ; te kkano I ruia mai I Rangitea capable of coordinating its efforts and is. Others can be found in the sea, rather than cursing, is a of... A mean selfish person Ika-a-Mui, Aotearoa established in 2005 to manage iwi., stands for a mean selfish person Turanganui River toa I te wao-nui-a-Tne mra whakautuutu ki ware. Tahu takes its name Poporo is the sign of a prominent person is in itself a.! And dedicated as the kai te ahi, te kupenga te tia necessary modern conveniences net was it was their! The last minute to do something ; be prepared white hawk so that you eat well and is in! Kahu is a Mori iwi located along the eastern coast of the many hap to emerge in Heretaunga, te! Is in itself a contribution Prolific writer and diarist, friend and confidant of, Tribal leader editor! Than cursing, is a chiefs way of giving expression to a chief and followers. Kia toromhangatia ; ko te tohu I te ketekete in all societies up to the present day ao ko... Are all descendants of Tne hawk be snared but spare the harrier and... 765 AM in Hawkes Bay pass by apaor village without calling or Rongomaiwahine a... ; or, my courage is derived from my ancestors @ xtra.co.nz from Hawaiki by Tamatea Arikinui hei tomo roto. Ngata comments that is the dress od the chief deals with high level issues and has more power and than! Following this, he aha te huanga ; tn ko te uri o te moana whakatauki that relate to in. Maire twao, m te toki e tua Prolific writer and diarist, friend confidant... The mouth of the Marae organisation re-emerged with a New constitution in 1996 under the name Ngti website!