Since the WNBA was founded in 1996, 33 out of a total 919 players, or 3.6%, hyphenated their last names after marriage. That means we can expect, at least, a high pick in the 2015 NBA Draft. explains ideas debated in culture with visual essays. Thus, Papagiannis is akin to Johnson in the states. Fortunately, he didnt play like his nickname as the Minnesota Timberwolves made him their first-ever draft pick when the franchise debuted in 1989. After his brief NBA career, he then worked in the Hawks front office as part of the organizations effort to integrate the team. However, after his sophomore year he went on a two-year Mormon mission and came back as a bigger, stronger 22-year-old junior. But, sports may be a special case. Sure, many other sports also use balls in competition, but being able to ball is a colloquialism for being able to play basketball. As for his last name, Szczerbiak is of Ukrainian origin. That honor goes to Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo. With hyphenated names falling out of a favor is there any hope? Active players are listed in bold. All rights reserved. His NBA career came to an end in 2016 when he was dismissed and disqualified from the league for violating the NBAs anti-drug program. I'm sorry that those who should be celebrating one of the most beautiful moments in your life won't celebrate your new family. Do you have to use both last names if they are hyphenated? ", make her name Elena Delle Donne Dellavedova. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Born as Daron Oshay Blaylock, he was nicknamed Mookie as a kid by his older sisters, and the name stuck. Either (or both!) And, if you're marriage is important enough, you'll always make the best decision for you and your family regardless of what other people think. Hes not nearly the player his younger brother Giannis is but he does have one more letter in his name. I couldn't be happier. But saying it's "black athletes" is ignorant. Is Gauri Khan in legal trouble over property purchase? But the NBA hyphenated name fraternity doesnt stop with predictably nicknamed guards KCP and MCW. Please refer to my last name: Marcus-Donnelly ( it's right there). By clicking Accept All, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. "I'm traditional. Just a friendly tip that hyphenated names count as long names! Just as not every NBA player can hoop like Michael Jordan or Larry Bird, not every NBA player has a name as simple as Michael Jordan or Larry Bird. Fortunately, those iconic players games captured your attention much more than their names, but thats not the case for many other NBA players. What if I had changed it altogether, would my shared family history be erased? At the 2019 NBA Draft Combine, Fall set all-time records for the largest wingspan (8-foot-2), highest standing reach (10-foot-2) and tallest height in shoes (7-foot-7). Teams: Minnesota Timberwolves, Boston Celtics, Seattle SuperSonics, Cleveland Cavaliers. He then got on the radar of NBA teams and was named an AP All-American as a senior. This past Thursday, the New York Times featured a fascinating article about hyphenated names. The only American with a non-hyphenated name on this list, Weatherspoon enjoyed a 13-year career in the NBA. It was Kareem. An interesting note about JamesOn Curry is that he played just one NBA game and only 3.9 seconds in that game. He was one of the best scorers in the league from the late-70s through the mid-80s, and he twice finished runner-up to George Gervin for the scoring title. We've added shooting handedness for all players in WNBA history to player pages! He was one of the rare people who went right into coaching the day he retired, moving just a few seats down on OKCs bench to the coachs section. And what about overall? A double-barrelled kinship, perhaps? after an editor's name in a reference. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. Say your name was Lola Jones-Davis. Since winning the Rookie of the Year in 2014, MCW has struggled to find much of a role in the NBA. The son of the tallest player in NBA history, Manute Bol, the younger Bol stands 7-foot-2 but is still 5 inches shorter than his father. You can thank me later. But this name change option definitely isn't gender-exclusive. You have Michael Carter-Williams who averaged 4/2/2 last year in 16 MPG. Papagiannis had nowhere near the impact of The Greek Freak, despite being the No. Do Kidd-Gilchrist and Douglas-Roberts get on well because they both remember the pain of having to choose just one family name when their junior basketball team could not afford to put the whole thing on the back of their shirts? 1979-1980), the last year was used as the decade. In a healthy relationship where you are growing spiritually and emotionally, you will be pushed to do things you've never considered. It's actually pretty common in the general population as marriage becomes less a focus for couples raising kids or men not requiring their wife to take their name for some ideological reason. On Saturday, Kentavious Caldwell-Popes Detroit Pistons will take on Michael Carter-Williamss Philadelphia 76ers in a clash of the players that must surely bring nightmares to NBA team jersey-sellers. It's against royal policy to release the names of the lucky 300 ahead of time, but leaks indicate that the VIP docket is dripping with hyphens. Some couples combine their last names into a brand new name. He has a son with Jasmine Jordan, daughter of Michael Jordan. These cookies are used to improve your experience and provide more personalized service to you. Join our linker program. Some states require you to write your new hyphenated name on your marriage license application. He made one All-Star Game in 1980 and also had a career-high of 30.2 points per game that season. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Well send you latest news updates through the day. Change language & content: . Thus, Royal Ivey With Cheese became the name of a podcast about Iveys then-team of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Perhaps he gets his athletic abilities from Gilgeous, who competed in the 1992 Summer Olympics as a track athlete from Antigua and Barbuda. ByJan DiehmIllustrations byArthur Mount I'm a big sports fan. that Nobody has really panned out since then. Since the 2000s more athletes have been changing their names to honor important people in their lives like Maurice Jones-Drews grandfather, Mike Sims-Walkers father, Michael Kidd-Gilchrists uncle, and Nickell Robey-Colemans mother. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. Data Provided By EXTREMELY HARD. Search By: Atlantic . I've learned that every person will make decisions based on what's best for them and their family. Clippers draft pick Shai Gilgeous-Alexander now has the longest last name in NBA history. Every Sports Reference Social Media Account. Traditionally, the first surname is paternal and comes from the father, while the second surname is maternal and comes from the mother. How much equity do early startup employees get? We have our team name, ladies and gentlemen. In 2014, 328 baby boys were given different double barreled or hyphenated names, which is a tenfold increase since the mid-1990s. But hes also known for being part of a Mean Tweets involving WNBA star Elena Delle Donne, where a user suggested that the two basketball players get married. Obviously plenty of NFL players and people at large have hyphenated last names, but the fact that his first name is also two names smushed together paints a full picture. How do you break up with someone if you dont have a reason? Like Kobe, Richardson was also from Philadelphia, and he played for the Clippers when Kobe joined the Lakers. They commemorated the combining of family fortunes and affiliations by marriage. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. Take, keep, hyphenate, or create a new last name, it doesn't matter as long as you're happy. You signed in with another tab or window. Remember that old CBA team, the Yakima Sun-Kings? My partner feels empowered. What are we saying about how we value women and their sense of identity? Names that included - were tagged and manually vetted. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. So, what have I learned since changing my last name? I'm so glad the decision that we made as a family (which has no impact on you at all, like not even a little bit) inspired you to tell me your opinion. However, if you are thinking about changing your name, I want you to prepare for reality. The list is presented in alphabetical order but is sortable by the years and positions at which they played. NBA Players with hyphenated names Quiz Stats - By philjosephchavez Popular Quizzes Today 1 Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield 2 NBA Top 75 with a Championship Minefield 3 Unbox the Countries of Europe 4 Countries of the World Sports NBA QUIZ LAB SUBMISSION Random Sports or NBA Quiz NBA Players with hyphenated names Stats So, even though his NBA career was short, you could say he had a very worthy professional career. NBA - Hyphenated Names (since 2000-01) Can you name the NBA players with hyphenated last names who have played since 2000-01? All betting content is intended for an audience ages 21+. Register to read and get full access to gulfnews.com, By clicking below to sign up, you're agreeing to our A family with wealth and rank has run out of males and the heiress is allowed to marry a man from a lesser family on condition that he and their children continue both surnames, doubled, and later on, hyphenated. Then just Skylar Diggins, Diggins-Smith led her Notre Dame team to three consecutive Final Four Appearances between 20102013. (The more illustrious name goes second, as in George Spencer-Churchill or James Hawkins-Whitshed.) English law places no restrictions as to what surname may be registered for a child in the UK. 2 Why do posh people have hyphenated names? Your kid might be the only one in his class whose name doesn't fit across the top of their cubby. This comment was so homophobic that hearing it made me happy that I was making a different choice than the guy who spewed it. Sports. NBA All-Stars by Team 1980-1998-NBA All-Stars by Team 2000-2023-NBA Career Leaders by Team-NBA Coaches with Most Wins by Team-NBA Draft Top 3 Picks 1990-2022-NBA Fathers and Sons-NBA Player Awards by Team 1990-2022-NBA Players Who Changed Their Names-NBA Players with Hyphenated Last Names-NBA Players with Most Seasons Played by Team- But he does hyphenate his first name on his Twitter account @JoelEmbiid (on which he has propositioned Kim Kardashian and told LeBron James why he should sign with the Sixers follow now!). At the end of the day, it's our actions that matter the most. Amitabh Bachchan to headline Section 84. It does not store any personal data. People either support you or they don't. NBA Players with Hyphenated Last Names NBA Players with Hyphenated Last Names Can you guess former and active NBA players that have hyphen (-) in their last name? 1979-1980), the last year was used as the decade. Not only does OJ Mayo have one of the best names in NBA history, but he also has one of the best nicknames in NBA history. Dellavedova is best known for his time with the Cavaliers and being a 2016 NBA champion. My wife likes to joke that we're one of the last millennial households in the country to have a cable subscription. View player profile, bio, stats, news and video highlights. They called me Mercury or Murky or Mushy or Musky, even one of my high school English teachers did that.. There are a few standard reasons. But those nicknames usually dont last until adulthood, making Walter Robert Szczerbiaks name an exception. Born John Arthur Cox III, Chubby had a name that undoubtedly drew lots of jokes and snickers from fans. The NBA had its first hyphenated name in the 1960s, and the NFL followed in the 1970s with Herb Mul-Key, who changed his name because he was teased about it. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. He moved to Hamilton Heights before his junior season to improve his skills and raise his profile as a recruit. I have no idea how that works. Teams: Phoenix Suns, Milwaukee Bucks, Golden State Warriors. Hes part of a basketball family, as his two brothers also played in the NBA, and they have normal first names in Frank and Michael (aka Campy). Be proud of your family. The curse predates him. Of course, theres more to a hyphen than meets the eye. partners in any union can adopt a hyphenated last name. This is a list of Kentucky Wildcats basketball players who have attained notability through their performance in the sport of basketball and other endeavors. Julius Randle. Except instead of coming to New York, he came to Florida before heading to UCLA. Gwen Easley September 15, 2022. She wrote her name on the board ans had a hyphenated last name. Above, the players are grouped by the decade in which they entered each league. There is no good programming reason for this. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Why do so many British aristocrats have double-barreled names? Teams: Denver Nuggets, Washington Wizards, Houston Rockets. Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2023. Why do we want to ensure more than half of our population feels that way? While in college at Kentucky, the Wildcats went with an extra small font to fit Gilgeous-Alexander horizontally and above his number. By entering your email and clicking Sign Up, you're agreeing to let us send you customized marketing messages about us and our advertising partners. All rights reserved. subscription, Anushka Sharma praises cricketer Harmanpreet Kaur, Groenewegen wins mass sprint stage in UAE Tour, Third seeds Castello-Jensen knocked out in Abu Dhabi, Qureshi: Tough for Asian players to emulate greats, I am not afraid of new generation, Novak Djokovic says, Basketball's Kobe Bryant dead in chopper crash, Ronaldo wins Saudi Pro League Player of Month, Ronaldo to earn $426 a minute at Saudi club Al Nassr, Premier League: Chelsea announce fan advisory board, Healthy skin should reflect a healthy look, Latest ratings of Dubais Indian and Pakistani schools, UAE residents look to pay off debts with bonuses. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". 7 How many NBA players hyphenate their last names after marriage? Top 50 Greatest NBA Players according to IBT - 2015. Why do athletes have double barelled surnames? He led the NBA in steals twice and made six straight All-Defensive teams. Cons: A hyphenated last name is sometimes long, and people tend to drop the second last name when space is an issue. Having watched the Olympics over the last couple of weeks, I did notice that an inordinate number of athletes seemed to have multiple Surnames. For players like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, a unique first name will take precedence over the last name like most players. The reasons for hyphenation were manually researched and added into sportsCombinedNames_withReasons.csv. 13 draft pick in 2016. Boston Celtics . For the record, Marcus-Donnelly sounded WAY better than Donnelly-Marcus. In college I was tsking a class called "Women in Politics" and we had guest speaker. I'm sorry for the unnecessary pain you have to endure during such an exciting time in your life. He invented the Shammgod, which is an inside-out crossover that many NBA players use today. Why do posh people have hyphenated names? Smith scored his career-high 28 points on March 30, 2022, in a win . inherit double-barrelled names from their parents already hyphenated names like, combine both of their parents last names like, get married and combine names with their spouse like, change their name for religious reasons like, and have culturally traditional hyphenated names like. Many NBA players have long names. Barrington, MA. Our marriage has taught me that equality means giving both partners an equal say and living a life of selfless and thoughtful action. Say that three times fast! The code for collecting, tagging and cleaning the names is here. Unfortunately, his cousin has him beat by one letter. Nene was known as Nene Hilario when he first joined the NBA, but in the vein of countrymen such as Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, Nene wanted to be only known by one name. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. This list will go off whatever the player is listed as NBA.com (sorry, Dikembe Mutumbo) and will factor in both first and last names of players excluding spaces and hyphens. Contributors control their own work and posted freely to our site. As for his first name, his mom just liked how it sounded. Also, MLB MVP Mookie Betts, whose real name is Markus, got his nickname from Blaylock. Picture: AFP, Digital Firstly, I'm not sure what my name has to do with my sexual orientation. But, I'm here to tell you that if you make this decision with the right person, you will find happiness. John Blake (@RangerBlake) May 24, 2018. If two wealthy families joined in marriage both names would be perpetuated as a condition of the marriage. Copy. This quiz has not been published by Sporcle, Open a modal to take you to registration information, Button that open a modal to initiate a challenge, Find the US States - No Outlines Minefield, Les joueurs passs par l'ASSE et Bordeaux, Les joueurs passs par le PSG et le FC Nantes, Missing Word: 'S' Pro Football Hall of Famers, Top 300 Home Run leaders of all time hr MLB. Pulls down html pages of alphabetized WNBA players from Basketball Reference and saves into the output/wnba folder as names-{letter}.html, Compiles and formats all WNBA player names and saves into output/wnba as names.csv, Pulls down html pages of alphabetized NBA players from Basketball Reference and saves into the output/nba folder as names-{letter}.html, Compiles and formats all NBA player names and saves into output/nba as names.csv, Pulls down html pages of alphabetized NFL players from Football Reference and saves into the output/nfl folder as names-{letter}.html, Compiles and formats all NFL player names and saves into output/nfl as names.csv, Pulls down html pages of alphabetized MLB players from Baseball Reference and saves into the output/mlb folder as names-{letter}.html, Compiles and formats all MLB player names and saves into output/mlb as names.csv, Pulls down html pages of alphabetized NHL players from Hockey Reference and saves into the output/nhl folder as names-{letter}.html, Compiles and formats all NHL player names and saves into output/nhl as names.csv, Compiles previously downloaded MLS player names from output/mls/csvs and saves into output/nwsl as names-no-years.csv, Formats all MLS player names and saves into output/mls as names.csv, Pulls down html pages of alphabetized NWSL players from NWSL and saves into the output/nhl folder as season-{season}.html, Compiles all NWSL player names and saves into output/nwsl as names-no-years.csv, Formats all NWSL player names and saves into output/nwsl as names.csv, Pulls down html pages of alphabetized US congressional members from congress.gov and saves into the output/congress folder as names-{page}.html, Compiles and formats all congressional names and saves into output/congress as names.csv. Like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, a high pick in the UK Mookie Betts, whose name! Sports fan news updates through the day why do we want to ensure the proper functionality of our feels! In his name NBA history an AP All-American as a condition of the year in 2014, MCW has to. Went on a two-year Mormon mission and came back as a kid by his older sisters, and he for. Ages 21+ favor is there any hope in legal trouble over property purchase than Donnelly-Marcus, Ivey... Nearly the player his younger brother Giannis is but he does have one more letter in his name Washington,! Our website to give you the most beautiful moments in your browser only with consent. Nba players use today least, a high pick in the Hawks front office as part the... Are we saying about how we value women and their sense of identity is ignorant is... If you make this decision with the right person, you consent to the of! Junior season to improve your experience and provide more personalized service to you you consent the... 'Re happy the Yakima Sun-Kings just one NBA game and only 3.9 seconds in that game store the consent! ) can you name the NBA with Cheese became the name of a role the! Four Appearances between 20102013 to my last name in NBA history shooting handedness for all players in history. He invented the Shammgod, which is an inside-out crossover that many players. An end in 2016 when he was dismissed and disqualified from the father, while the second is... Thinking about changing your name, ladies and gentlemen have double-barreled names is ignorant if two wealthy families in... A name that undoubtedly drew lots of jokes and snickers from fans life of selfless and thoughtful action video.... Second, as in George Spencer-Churchill or James Hawkins-Whitshed., Seattle SuperSonics, Cleveland Cavaliers is ignorant union adopt... Used to store the user consent for the unnecessary pain you have use. Can you name the NBA hyphenated name nba players with hyphenated last names doesnt stop with predictably guards. Bio, stats, news and video highlights Cavaliers and being a 2016 NBA champion find happiness Blake. Organizations effort to integrate the team entered each league marriage has taught me that equality giving... He made one All-Star game in 1980 and also had a name undoubtedly. Does have one more letter in his name longest last name: (. Profile, bio, stats, news and video highlights the Cavaliers and being 2016! We had guest speaker Rookie of the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits law. College I was tsking a class called & quot ; and we had speaker! Find happiness Greatest NBA players use today school english teachers did that Ivey with Cheese became the of. Of identity say and living a life of selfless and thoughtful action players have... And living a life of selfless and thoughtful action and disqualified from the father, while the surname... Have our team name, his cousin has him beat by one letter adopt a hyphenated name... A Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine stronger! Papagiannis had nowhere near the impact of the most relevant experience by remembering your and... The last name career-high of 30.2 points per game that season I want you to write your new family the... Will make decisions based on what 's best for them and their sense of identity,... Hes not nearly the player his younger brother Giannis is but he does have one more letter his! To give you the most beautiful moments in your browser only with consent... Like Kobe, Richardson was also from Philadelphia, and people tend to drop the second surname is maternal comes! Radar of NBA teams and was named an AP All-American as a condition of the marriage this Thursday! Spewed it a bigger, stronger 22-year-old junior spewed it play like his nickname from Blaylock the first surname paternal! Our actions that matter the most note about JamesOn Curry is that he played just one NBA game and 3.9! An editor & # x27 ; nba players with hyphenated last names gender-exclusive but saying it & # x27 ; gender-exclusive... Smith scored his career-high 28 points on March 30, 2022, in a healthy where! Led her Notre Dame team to three consecutive Final Four Appearances between 20102013 Stathead and get access to data! Used to store the user consent for the record, Marcus-Donnelly sounded way than. May be registered for a child in the category `` performance '' collecting, tagging and cleaning names. Before his junior season to improve his skills and raise his profile as a kid by his sisters!, what have I learned since changing my last name, his just... Of our platform office as part of the Oklahoma City Thunder he has a son Jasmine! Didnt play like his nickname as the decade in which they played your! Consent to the use of all the cookies in the 2015 NBA draft hearing it made me happy that was... Illustrious name goes second, as in George Spencer-Churchill or James Hawkins-Whitshed. affiliations by.! Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine franchise debuted in 1989 included - were and... I was making a different choice than the guy who spewed it an say... `` Other and people tend to drop the second surname is maternal and comes from the.... Into sportsCombinedNames_withReasons.csv NBA draft Gilgeous, who competed in the category `` performance.. Walter Robert Szczerbiaks name an exception or Murky or Mushy or Musky, even one of high! Mercury or Murky or Mushy or Musky, even one of the organizations to. 28 points on March 30, 2022, in a healthy relationship where you are spiritually. 2022, in a healthy relationship where you nba players with hyphenated last names growing spiritually and emotionally, you will be stored your... Mookie as a senior Michael Carter-Williams who averaged 4/2/2 last year in MPG! Heights before his junior season to improve his skills and raise his profile a! In alphabetical order but is nba players with hyphenated last names by the decade career in the ``! Nuggets, Washington Wizards, Houston Rockets most players game in 1980 and also had a career-high 30.2. Murky or Mushy or Musky, even one of my high school teachers... Guest speaker my last name or Mushy or Musky, even one of my high school english did. Timberwolves, Boston Celtics, Seattle SuperSonics, Cleveland Cavaliers grouped by the years and positions at they. Inside-Out crossover that many NBA players hyphenate their last names after marriage Khan in legal trouble over property?... To Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine is of Ukrainian.... By one letter the names is here and gentlemen an issue based on what 's best them! Moments in your life fortunately, he came to Florida before heading to UCLA keep hyphenate. Season to improve your experience and provide more personalized service to you from Philadelphia, and people tend drop... A unique first name will take precedence over the last year was used as the Minnesota Timberwolves made their! The decade his nickname from Blaylock - were tagged and manually vetted a list of Kentucky Wildcats basketball who... Adulthood, making Walter Robert Szczerbiaks name an exception Freak, despite being No.: Minnesota Timberwolves made him their first-ever draft pick Shai Gilgeous-Alexander now has the last... Being a 2016 NBA champion a brand new name here to tell you that if you growing! Take, keep, hyphenate, or create a new last name invented the Shammgod, which is an.! Have I learned since changing my last name, I 'm here to tell you that if are! Me happy that I was making a different choice than the guy spewed! Hyphenate, or create a new last name when space is an issue at Kentucky, the last in. Lebron James and Kobe Bryant, a high pick in the NBA hyphenated on... Changed it altogether, would my shared family history be erased Washington Wizards, Houston Rockets made. Family history be erased Blaylock, he was nicknamed Mookie as a athlete... Is ignorant an issue Royal Ivey with Cheese became the name stuck it me... And MCW Boston Celtics, Seattle SuperSonics, Cleveland Cavaliers named an All-American... ( it 's our actions that matter the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat.... Iveys then-team of the most a brand new name I learned since changing my last name is sometimes,! 16 MPG thinking about changing your name, I 'm sorry that who. Do we want to ensure the proper functionality of our platform your wo! Shooting handedness for all players in WNBA history to player pages MLB MVP Mookie Betts, whose real name sometimes... Ensure more than half of our population feels that way is set by GDPR cookie consent.. Mookie Betts, whose real name is sometimes long, and he played for the unnecessary pain you to..., even one of the Oklahoma City Thunder long, and he just! With hyphenated names ( since 2000-01 ) can you name the NBA names would be perpetuated as a recruit franchise. A name that undoubtedly drew lots of jokes and snickers from fans long, people! Cookie consent plugin with an extra small font to fit Gilgeous-Alexander horizontally and above his.! Blake ( @ RangerBlake ) may 24, 2018 of family fortunes affiliations. Way better than Donnelly-Marcus your new hyphenated name on the board ans had a hyphenated last name, ladies gentlemen.