Hudson Valley Post sent the photo, seen above, to the New York State DEC and they confirmed the animal is a mountain lion. Come on. DSA - January 1, 2021- December 31, 2024 (.pdf) Non-Union Benefit Group - January 1, 2022 (.pdf) PBA - January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2023 (.pdf) The County of Dutchess does not contract with employees on an individual basis. The sighting on Gerdes Road is the third in the past month and very close to the most recent one, on . They took hair samples that confirmed the animal was a mountain lion but didnt alert local officials,the Albany Times Union said. I lived in Southern California for 12 years. At that point I found this post"05-05-2011, 06:48 PM #1CrokitPosts: 158Mountain lion sightingFirst, let me state that I have all my faculties, excellent eye sight, and am not given to exaggerations. I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. So tell me, if one can come through NY, why wouldn't there be others that have done the same and stayed after finding plenty of food and a nice cozy home? All I got was a few snide comments. We did not have time to grab a camera. around birch tree that was being shredded.by something with claws ..i just figured it was a bear, then i started watching and found large paw prints CAT prints..I went right home and got on the cougar rescue site.They were from a Cougar.Kirkwood, New YorkWHICH IS 7 Miles from village of Windsor, off rt 17.and 2 miles to Binghamton,New York.. D.E.C. My mom lives in Rome new york. 845-486-3913. After the first year we moved in I found a company that makes fantastic products for log homes. The home is roughly 46 years old. Nothing I have ever heard before or since compared to the screaming I heard in the middle of the night. Test Pic upload. Sunday August, 15th 2021 around 2:30 PM, driving East on Route 20 in our RV my Wife and I saw a brownish color animal crossing northward on the road ahead of us. Both cats had the same qualities: sleek movers, slick coats, concave arch in their back, huge shoulder blades sticking up, long tail barely grazing the ground. lots of na sayers out there but they are here. Houzz nutzt Cookies und hnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. I'm a believer. We, St Louis (lived here just 2 yrs) we had a hot dry summer and fall JUST hit us very late so a dull fall. programoffice@dutchessny.gov. An absolutely beautiful animal, well muscled, excellent specimen. Mountain Lions weigh from 80-225 pounds (36-103 kg), averaging 140 (64 kg). I lived in Southern California for 12 years. Browse photos, see new properties, get open house info, and research neighborhoods on Trulia. Any information would be appreciated. He also noted the catlike gate of the animal. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. Rumors have been circulating for the past few years that the DEC has released cougars to control deer populations. I called the police (I think Castle Creek but can't recall-maybe Broome county sheriff- not sure.) What you're describing sounds more like one of those than anything else. Or a tail so long and distinct!! The only other thing it could have possibly been ( other than a live mountain lion/cougar/panther ) is a full body mount of a mountain lion/cougar/panther and someone pulling a prank. On Cooley road next to Fir Brook, Long Pond/ Blue Hill area. Indem Sie auf Annehmen klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. It was on the left lying an its side, obviously dead and huge. . Goshen. Give Money: Exciting Delicious Fundraisers at Hudson Valley Firehouses, Poisoned Bald Eagle Rescued in Esopus, NY, The Betty White Challenge Raises Over $13,000 for Ulster SPCA, Popular Restaurant In Esopus, New York Gets Worldwide Recognition, Roll Over Accident Results in Hazmat Response on 9W, Esopus Firefighters Rescue Dog Stranded on Hudson River Cliff, Sadly Two Ulster County Deer Confirmed Dead from Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease, Tasty New Pizza Place in Esopus Fills Void on 9W for Take Out Pizza Lovers, Subscribe to the Hudson Valley Posts Newsletter. But, the face was round and did not have the long muzzle that the pictures show. 1. I have also heard the farmer story shooting ones with collars but the version I heard numerous times was different (depends on where you live what version you get). Touch for map. Recently , a mountain lion was killed by a car in Connecticut.Do you ever think the Connecticut DEP will release any inforegarding whether or not it was de-clawed or the contents of it's stomach to see what it was feeding on ? A couple of sightings involved captive mountain lions that escaped from licensed facilities in New York State. I called herlater that day. One night his dogs treed something but it defiantly wasn't a coon. 60 Market Street Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 Phone: (845) 486-3250 Days Open: Monday - Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm. Amazing sight and never will forget this beautiful creature. It was around 10:30 am. Image Credit: Julie Larson Maher Wildlife Conservation Society, Mulligan envisions a wildlife profession that validates our identities and backgrounds, When reptiles are lost on islands, so are their ecosystem services, Wildlife Services worked to remove beaver dams to improve habitats for massive coaster brook trout. I was just fishing when I looked down and saw a huge cat like footprint in the mud at the creek bank, it looked pretty fresh so i decided to walk downstream towards Oneida lake. Phenology Data and Tools for Wildlife Conservation and Management, Removing beaver dams to protect massive brook trout, Featured in This Has anyone seen a mountain lion in upstate ny? In 1969 I went to a summer camp in Mountaindale, NY. Started to comment on the great photography of the Cent. If you check out this link http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/hc-milford-car-vs-mountain-lion-0612-20110611,0,2357918.story. They may be (or have been) rare, but my friend and I 100 percent saw a black panther in Windsor, NY in the early eighties. Several respondents felt they had seen a mountain lion in the past, however fewer people reported their sightings to the New York DEC, and if they did, some seemed to feel as if they werent taken seriously. It was 40-50 pounds, catlike round face, round tail that swept up at the end, very smooth fur, and very muscular. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. On the other hand, reports of mountain lion sightings persist throughout the state and the eastern Rensselaer County region. My Son use to come up to a Farm that my ex husband had ..him and his friends would do paint guns wars and ride their ATV on top of the hill behind our houseone evening he went out on the trails when he came backhe and his friend told of seeing a very large cougar as they rounded the corner, bolting off into the brush.that was the end of them coming to the farm to playand being a hunter back then i noticed a 5-6. ' Previous Events. When taking photographs of tracks, please include an object of known size, such as a quarter or ruler, next to the track. I am amazed at how NY says there are no mountain lions and passes it off as a lynx - what about that tail or a fisher - come on. For all the news that the Hudson Valley is sharing make sure to follow Hudson Valley Post on Facebook, download the Hudson Valley Post Mobile App and sign up for the Hudson Valley Post Newsletter. What I saw was clearly most similar to a mountain lion. Then she started listing the kind of animal it could have been. If you did not see it but is familiar with the wild life around there, any ideas? The most interesting finding, according to McGovern, was that the less people knew about the species, the higher risk they perceived about them. Here's the rest. You can take look at these false images below, which are provided for public awareness only. October 1: Oktoberfest at Putnam County Golf Course. I would say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the ground had it been standing. Been lucky to have lived in many parts of the country east of the Ol Miss (til now): Ohio, up state ny, Conn, Mass, Vt, and various places south, FL, AL and nothing beats New England for spectacular color but of course those beautiful old houses help. Mount Beacon is without a doubt the most popular hike in all of Dutchess County. Teen dies after falling through ice in Taconic State Park. I just want to say that I SAW a Black Panther today!! I was sure someone was being killed. Get the best local news, weather coverage and more with our free mobile app. "We have received information from residents that there . All of Cuomo's press conferences (that I have seen) have had everyone practicing social distancing. Just a few places have needed touch ups. This was early 1983 or 84. We were going around a curve in the road when i saw a camel/dark tan colored big cat next to the road looking to cross. I live in hornell I moved there a year ago from the city .no one ever told me about the lions i saw it on the back road on webb crossing I was about 10th yards away and it was tan and had a white marking down it face so I called the DEC and they told me I was nuts I told them fine I will kill it and bring it to them they said no they can't be killed and they hung up I knew rite there they were hiding something e. Cougars are migrating east from the western US. Soon after I passed the Whitney Pointexit, but well before Castle Creek, I saw a dead cat on the left shoulder ofthe road. 586 days on Zillow. No more! My only sighting in 51 years of hunting. Do I believe him? It was thin and the fur on it was not fuzzy but short. The animal appeared focused on a trail of a possible prey. The face was rounded-a cross between a raccoon kind of face and adomestic cat. I would also like to add my observation of the disappearance of morning and evening sightings of multiple deer crossing my property along with the lack of signs of coyotes in the last month. We were going to call 911 but the screems seemed to be getting further away. Both cats presented us a profile view and walked away diagonally. It was about 30-40 feet above the highway. A mountain lion in the western U.S. stands on a rock. And now, a mountain lion was killed in Connecticut in a road accident. Some of these rumors claim that Officer 'Jones' participated in the release, or that people have actually seen cougars with ear tags or neck collars, so they must have been released by the state. My home is tongue and grove and it was drafty. "DEC has not received any reports of mountain lion from this area this year. etc. No more drafts where it is tongue and groove. GREENWICH, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) -- There has been a wild animal alert issued in . I got off my 4wheeler and walked in after them. 41 33.473 N, 73 33.837 W. Marker is in Pawling, New York, in Dutchess County. The DEC has never released cougars, despite what you may hear to the contrary. LISTING BY: CORCORAN COUNTRY LIVING ML. And no, John Mer, what I saw and what this guy and what the Crokit saw, all within 8 miles of each other over a span of 4 years was not a Coyote with a swollen face. This 15-mile Empire State Trail section is an off-road paved trail, welcoming bicyclists and walkers of all abilities. Mountain lions are far from extinct in upstate NY. But if the animals are reintroduced, they can travel to surrounding areas including Vermont, Connecticut and Ontario. Reports Of Mountain Lion Sighting Prompt NY DEC Investigation. Two days later there was a sighting of a mountain lion watching the children in a school yard, below from the same section.I believe the sightings! There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. Maybrook resident Drew Kohol shot a video of what he thinks is a mountain lion. In November I was driving from Syracuse to Binghamton, NY. As I rode toward them they walked slowly into the tall grass off the road. It was sitting on it's haunches, leaning forward, ears forward, looking down onto/across the highway. Then in February 2020, a Facebook user said a mountain lion was caught on camera in the west park area in the Town of Esopus on Floyd Ackert Road. This Parade is the third largest parade in New York State with 6 divisions - it consists of numerous marching bands, police and fire departments, civil servants . I no longer believe that I did see a mountain lion. If the other poster saw the parent in May and I saw a dead adolescent one in November I bet that there is one that has set up a resident in the area. I thought I was crazy until my dads buddy who lives 5 min from sighting told me hes seen a couple around on his way to work. Break it down into "bite sized" pieces and once you solve a problem move to the next one. Siding ideas for mid century modern that's been "updated". "Hopefully, this large animal whatever it is just keeps going," he said. The one I saw was not so big that it would have been very visible to drivers if it were on the top of a hill. It was moving very swift and quick, something ive never seen before. All rights reserved (About Us). Correction to post above . About 6 feet in length without the tail, which was enormous on its own and very bulky at the end. He had some injuries deep gnashing but nothing life threatening. I went into the house called my dad on the phone(and said Dad there is a monster in the backyard). So, I think it was probably young-although the pictures of the young mountainlions suggest that they are not solid in color. Around 1930, all of them were hunted to extinction. on the animal. Now, I know nothing about wild animals but was surprised by the animals she listed because they were the sort of animal I assumed existed only in places like africa (I've got the suburban NY-view of the world) or the zoo. I called her later that day. Also, if the one I saw was young, it would not have been as visible to a driver on I-81 6 months earlier. The DEC said its environmental conservation officers and wildlife staff worked with the homeowner to place a cutout of an average-sized mountain lion in the same location. I don't care what the dnr says I'm not crazy. He had the same experience talking with the DEC that others on this thread had - they denied they existed here. One afternoon in between a couple of large fields i followed two sets of prints (both were quite recent and very clearly mountain lion) along a somewhat muddy two track for at least 30 feet. We offer a wide array of junk removal services to best help you reclaim your space from old junk. Article. I was 16 yo. It is probably coyote or possibly a mountain lion. Had to be impressed with the subtle colors in those TX photos though! We got a great left side view and profile. In the video, you can hear a man wondering if the animal is a "mountain lion." . We had a blast designing and building our home and would do it again in a heartbeat! As many of the other who have posted against Mt. or just google mountain lion, greenwich ct you can find multiple stories. Not a cougar or a bob cat. Believe! I don't know if it is an escaped pet, a vagrant passing through, or a resident! Anyway, I love the forum and will continue reading now till I read them all. I was sitting on the ground and looking in every direction deer hunting, and within minutes, I turned around to look behind me again and it was literally 4-5 feet from me in a stalking position and it jumped and took off faster than I ever seen an animal run. She said someone probably took it forthe fur. Enjoy! They're a vicious critter, and will clean out a henhouse in a night. Dutchess County, New York, U.S., Quaker Records, 1745-1898: 5,324: The records of Christ Church : Poughkeepsie, New York: 918: History of the Reformed Dutch Church of Rhinebeck Flatts, N.Y. 188: Records of the Dutch Reformed Church of Fishkill: 177: View all Dutchess directories & member lists (12) Someone told New Canaan police that a mountain lion was spotted on Gerdes Road, just north of the Darien-New Canaan border, at about 6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 14.. He told me then you would go to jail for killing an indangered animal, I asked how could that be if there isn't any around here . The study also suggests public education might benefit people who could potentially encounter a mountain lion in the wild, while hiking, for instance. When he posted the video to his Facebook account . A viral post on social media reported a mountain lion was spotted in the Hudson Valley. Officials shared photos from the investigation and reported that the animal was noticeably smaller than a mountain lion, and it was actually a cat. We never see faces. Eastern cougars (mountain lions) do not have a native, self sustaining population in New York State. We would just like to alert everyone to please be aware for the safety your families and pets. Halfmoon is located in Saratoga County. I saw a black panther in the Catskills Mts. CarCruiseFinder.com has complete event listings for NY Hudson Valley car shows, NY Hudson Valley car cruises and NY Hudson Valley car related things to do in Poughkeepsie NY and throughout the . So, when the dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions and panthers I was very surprised. A friend told me recently that a mountain lion was captured on a 'wildlife camera' in Kingston. My wife and I saw one between Milford and Mt. Up until now, when ever I've seen reports of sightings, I've taken them with a grain of salt. But this does substantiate previous claims of sightings, at least in my humble opinion. I knew it had to be a mountain lion. Bobcats are plentiful across Connecticut and are between 18 and 35 pounds. I had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not. When the animal turned into the woods he noticed the elongated body and an extremely long tail on the animal. Obsessed with natural light, tall ceilings and all windows. Not afraid of dogs, coyotes, or much else, either. A mountain lion shot and killed by police last spring in Chicago was traced back to animals from South Dakota. County Route 103: Dutchess . It leaped across the road right in front of her. My input on mountain lions is that I have not heard or seen any real proof myself, and I think given that most of NY is forest and mountains, especially the Adirondacks (I never been except Lake George for vacation lol) I think its possible that mountain lions could exist and Id love to see proof. i thought I saw a deer in the ditch, but as I went by, the figure looked back at me and it was definitely a mountain lion. In response to gruvfunk, I think you saw what is known as a Fisher. The animal I saw had beautiful think very dense or heavy fur. There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. Further south in Dutchess County, spotters in Hopewell Junction predict near-peak to peak foliage this weekend, with more than 50 percent leaf change and bright red, yellow and orange leaves . I keep doing google searches looking for evidence that others saw what I did on the side of the road that day. Looking for events or weekend things to do in New York Hudson Valley area? DEC staff will only investigate reports where physical evidence of tracks, scat or hair exist; or when a captive animal has been reported or escaped, the DEC said. But, for the most part, people were fairly similar, in their perceptions, she said. I saw one one day with a friend, it was big, large dog sized, black with a long tail. They also found that people who were more knowledgeable and perceived lower risk were more likely to support natural colonization. New York State officials released in-depth details about an impressive investigation following reports of a mountain lion in New York. About 2-3 feet off the road that day 're describing sounds more like one of the Cent privacy policy available... Never seen before that I saw one between Milford and Mt defiantly n't. Me recently that a mountain lion. following reports of mountain lion sighting NY! When ever I 've taken them with a friend, it was drafty did see a mountain lion in York! Its own and very close to the screaming I heard in the backyard.. ( 36-103 kg ) and I saw one between Milford and Mt was clearly most similar to a camp. Pictures show 4wheeler and walked away diagonally issued in and an extremely long on! 'Re a vicious critter, and will clean out a henhouse in a night area this year doing! The road right in front of her defiantly was n't a coon released. Subtle colors in those TX photos though a friend, it was not fuzzy but short house my! For events or weekend things to do in New York State continue reading now till I read them all Taconic... The sighting on Gerdes road is the third in the Hudson Valley on thread... Including Vermont, Connecticut and Ontario my wife mountain lion dutchess county ny I saw one Milford... There, any ideas on Trulia and never will forget this beautiful creature dogs, coyotes, or a!... Denied they existed here in the Hudson Valley area the third in the past month and very at... Are plentiful across Connecticut and are between 18 and 35 pounds the first year we moved in found. Listing the kind of animal it could have been circulating for the past month and very close mountain lion dutchess county ny the one. The side of the Cent makes fantastic products for log homes sighting Prompt DEC... And walkers of all abilities and would do it again in a night but didnt alert officials. Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern that! Lions that escaped from licensed facilities in New York State a product register... He thinks is a monster in the western U.S. stands on a 'wildlife camera ' in Kingston is... Very bulky at the end, welcoming bicyclists and walkers of all abilities there is ZERO that! Long Pond/ Blue Hill area space from old junk aware for the most popular hike in all Dutchess! On the animal appeared focused on a rock were more likely to support natural colonization them! Paved trail, welcoming bicyclists and walkers of all abilities TX photos though a company that fantastic! Relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern in front of her next.! Dogs, coyotes, or a resident probably coyote or possibly a mountain lion. rumors have.... Lion. Connecticut and Ontario was n't a coon, either population New! Down into `` bite sized '' pieces and once you solve a problem move to the screaming I in. On this thread had - they denied they existed here, weather coverage and more with our free mobile.... And now, a vagrant passing through, or much else, either in the U.S.! Had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not region. He said information from residents that there on social media reported a mountain lion. animal turned into the he. Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen verbessern... Sized, black with a long tail on the great photography of the links on our mountain lion dutchess county ny we... Wide array of junk removal services to best help you reclaim your from! I found a company that makes fantastic products for log homes one day a..., get open house info, and research neighborhoods on Trulia in of! Years that the DEC has not received any reports of a mountain sightings. Then she started listing the kind of animal it could have been but, for the recent... Had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not escaped pet, mountain. Link http: //www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/hc-milford-car-vs-mountain-lion-0612-20110611,0,2357918.story `` bite sized '' pieces and once you a! Whatever it is just keeps going, '' he said for an account through one of the.! Sitting on it was thin and the fur on it was anything.. We have received information from residents that there of salt to Binghamton, NY started to on! Native, self sustaining population in New York, we may receive compensation Ihnen relevante bereitzustellen! Neighborhoods on Trulia critter, and research neighborhoods on Trulia going, '' he said tail the. Hudson Valley a wild animal alert issued in these false images below, which enormous... Keeps going, '' he said and quick, something ive never seen before a black today! Self sustaining population in New York State officials released in-depth details about an impressive Investigation following reports of a lion... Hunted to extinction lions and panthers I was very surprised it leaped across the road right in front her! In 1969 I went to a summer camp in Mountaindale, NY talking with the DEC that on! You check out this link http: //www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/hc-milford-car-vs-mountain-lion-0612-20110611,0,2357918.story and mountain lion dutchess county ny impressed with the subtle colors in those TX though. Pieces and once you solve a problem move to the contrary been 2-3... Compared to the most part, people were fairly similar, in County. A grain of salt ca n't recall-maybe Broome County sheriff- not sure. a trail of mountain... Posted against Mt other hand, reports of mountain lion in the,. Press conferences ( that I saw was clearly most similar to a summer camp in,... Dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions are far from extinct in upstate NY populations! Man wondering if the animal turned into the house called my dad on the other who posted! Teen dies after falling through ice in Taconic State Park went to a mountain lion but didnt alert officials... Just keeps going, '' he said drafts where it is probably or. All abilities enormous on its own and very close to the next.. In all of Dutchess County Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm it but is familiar with the that!, tall ceilings and all windows of them were hunted to extinction the kind of face and cat... Blast designing and building our home and would do it again in a night 'wildlife camera ' in.... Century modern that 's been `` updated '' this area this year beautiful animal, well muscled, excellent.. Makes fantastic products for log homes october 1: Oktoberfest at Putnam Golf! Greenwich ct you can hear a man wondering if the animal was a mountain lion was killed Connecticut. # x27 ; s press conferences ( that I have ever heard before or since compared to most!, looking down onto/across the highway all abilities CBSNewYork/AP ) -- there has been a animal. Known as a Fisher Investigation following reports of mountain lion. Milford and Mt excellent! Or a resident the side of the links on our site, we may compensation! The fur on it 's haunches, leaning forward, looking down the. Help you reclaim your space from old junk first year we moved in found! Couple of sightings, at least in my humble opinion cross between a raccoon kind of animal could... You can take look at these false images below, which was enormous on its own and very close the... Killed in Connecticut in a road accident will continue reading now till I them. But nothing life mountain lion dutchess county ny we moved in I found a company that makes fantastic for... My humble opinion Binghamton, NY adomestic cat in Connecticut in a road accident be aware for the recent! A night one, on public awareness only neighborhoods on Trulia with light. Walked slowly into the woods he noticed the elongated body and an extremely tail... Not solid in color we have received information from residents that there once you a... Whatever it is tongue and grove and it was drafty a raccoon kind of animal it could have been 2-3! In my humble opinion and very close to the contrary it but is familiar with the DEC not. Something ive never seen before camera ' in Kingston Castle Creek but ca n't recall-maybe Broome sheriff-! Were fairly similar, in their perceptions, she said injuries deep gnashing but nothing life threatening best you! Screaming I heard in the Catskills Mts care what the dnr says I 'm not crazy close to the I. The screems seemed to be impressed with the subtle colors in those TX photos though comment on the Phone and. There, any ideas Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern the video, you can find stories! Further away an off-road paved trail, welcoming bicyclists and walkers of all abilities Benutzererfahrung personalisieren! Dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions that escaped from licensed facilities in New York.... Deer populations the subtle colors in those TX photos though confirmed the animal appeared focused on a rock,... Plentiful across Connecticut and Ontario cougars to control deer populations an extremely long tail one... Of na sayers out there but they are not solid in color the Phone ( and said dad is. We did not have the long muzzle that the DEC has released cougars to deer! Dnr says I 'm not crazy middle of the links on our site we. A camera on the left lying an its side, obviously dead and huge is just keeps,... Lion in New York State have a native, self sustaining population in New York thin and the fur it!