Don, would you happen to know which group of German Baptists participates in the auction? Plowboy Produce Auction & Wholesale Farmers Market. Hello, Joan. I found myself several times humming a note to try and determine what "key" they were chanting. Each auction offers a wide-range of items for sell, although each part of the produce year does tend to highlight certain types of items. The lady of a certain age looked a lot less attractive than the young Mennonite woman in the background! Orr said that at the smaller scales the Mennonites were selling before, the wholesalers and resellers who bought from them werent able to afford to put money into marketing but as they try and increase the scale of their business they hope to attract larger buyers who can handle the promotion end of things. 270-887-0053 Find Nearby. Mennonite Country Auction. Old Order Mennonite community features 23 merchants and a laid-back lifestyle. Want to learn more about Charles City? This is a Mennonite owned and operated business, and many Mennonite farmers utilize it to get their quality produce into the hands of local businesses. Copyright 2023 Kutztown Produce Auction - All Rights Reserved. I over-heard a Mennonite gentleman grumbling likewise that his sole purpose in being there was to buy apples. Michelle and whittakerwoman Mr Gingrich (Danny) also befriended my husband and I and we have exchanged addresses how neat that I stumbled upon this today in hopes of locating another settlement. It reminds me of all the food we grew and canned for the long winter months where I grew up. There is usually a western meeting and an eastern meeting. This horse didn't appear pleased with being hitched to the bulldozer to wait out the auction. To be honest, I know very little about German Baptist at all. The Produce Auctions normal operations run from mid-March to the end of October. The vegetables you showed would make our Lord proud! Even though the community may be a conservative one, they are engaging the public in the form of the media and visitors in promoting their enterprises. The local Mennonite community is hoping the auction will make family farming viable. When we were there we ran into the produce manager from the local Hy-Vee who was looking for pie pumpkins. Thanks Don. Dover, DE. One small thin boy leaned against his mother during much of the auction. to hear the items sold for the day at the min/max prices. He conducts a produce auction twice per week from April thru October as well as a regular automobile auction. The illustrations feature views, costumes, professions, ships, animals, antiquities, maps, and portraits of rulers. Okay, so you read Marie Grabers post about the Arbor House Country Innand youre thinking about visiting Jamesport for a couple of days. Thanks. Mennonite produce auction 45,976 views Apr 12, 2017 218 Dislike Share Save Stefanie Robey 1.09K subscribers Many of the fresh fruits and veggies sold at southern Maryland roadside produce. CALL 715-229-4838 FOR MORE INFORMATION. Randy and Becky, another one of our hosts, and Sara, from Travel With Sara and Midwest Travel Bloggers, said this was a must-see. Our Mission to the Grower is to provide a dependable wholsale outlet for the local producers of the horticulture commodities. Very hard working people and the children are so respectful and seem to enjoy having people stop to visit and purchase their wares. 10 July 2023 - 12:00pm. I know at least three families of GBs there, two are a part of a congregation that will allow limited modern conveniences (such as cash registers, maybe some computer/internet?). 20% of the Illinois MCC Relief Sale net income will be used locally by grassroots volunteers to provide food for those in need in Central Illinois.80% of the net proceeds from the Sale are channeled through Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), an international relief and service agency located in Akron, Pennsylvania. Five produce auctions operate in rural Kentucky, established to serve the needs of Amish-Mennonite farmers who want to sell a large amount of produce in big batches. With a brand new auction house and business restructuring, Algoma's Mennonite community hopes it is spearheading a shift that will make family farms more viable, Jeff Klassen is a SooToday staff reporter who is always looking for an interesting story, Welcome spring with a personal mind, body and spirit rejuvenation, Rebate programs available for new HVAC components save you money, Construction Equipment Co (Sault) Inc is hiring for Experienced Heavy Equipment Technician. Calling themselves "the plain people", they lead a simple life with no electric or gas powered machinery. I really enjoy all that you share of your various travels especially since you get to go to Amish areas that I probably never will get to. Love to know how much. Go three concession roads north and turn east (right) on Kairshea Avenue. Friday, September 16 11:00 am . As well as when the hay auctions are. A very small boy was steering the tractor which must have had an automatic transmission. Selling Fresh, Missouri Grown Produce Wholesale at Auction The place to buy and sell local farm fresh produce & hanging baskets, bedding plants, plant starters for containers, pumpkins, fall decoration and pot mums. Small lots are also sold for anyone interested in household consumption or canning. Flower & Produce Auctions Growers Produce Auction is the site of approximately 48 flower & produce auction every year, and the general public is very welcome at our Wholesale Auction! It is always a joy to a part of the group here. There is also locally grown non-Amish . Selling Fresh, Missouri Grown Produce Wholesale at Auction We wanted something neat and clean but above all else will serve a purpose, said Sherk, describing how the building fit in with the Mennonite way of life. H, Michelle~we visit the Ethridge community several times a year (usually every 3 months). It is a very hot job and a true sign fall is here. Danny is a master furniture maker who is very talktive to many english people. Our auctionsstartat 9am and endwhen the last items sell. 474 Clymer, New York 14724 Phone: (716) 355-6500 or (716) 355-6391 Time: Tues. & Fri. at 10:00 am Email: nwesterberg@stny.rr.com Website : https://www.chautauquaproduceauction.com Mohawk Valley Produce Auction 840 Fordsbush Road Fort Plain, New York 13339 Phone: (518) 568-3579 They watched me with wide eyes, seeing my camera, so I waited to snap this until their backs were turned. MCC is a hands-on, concrete ministry that addresses basic human needs such as water, food, and shelter; it works with churches and communities in a variety of efforts to serve the less fortunate and to build peace. 14 July 2023 - 10:00am. Matthew, We are in Gradyville, but its very small. One of our greatest challenges is that we dont have a telephone so we arent as linked to our markets as other sellers. Because we travel by horse and buggy we have transportation limitations as well, said Sherk. On auction morning the local countryside is often scattered with wagons and other vehicles as sellers make their way to market. I think that it is one of the most beautiful areas I have seen. This seasonal produce auction is south of Drakesvilles and happens twice a week. Vegetables and fruits show up as the weeks progress, and are a main auction staple through much of the summer. 4-County Produce Auction. We went today hoping to buy freshly harvested apples. Produce auctions are local aggregation points that facilitate access for small-scale fruit, flower and vegetable farmers to wholesale buyers from a broader geography. I have been to several Amish/Old Order Mennonite produce auctions in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota and the pictures are similar to what you would take at these auctions also. Mark creates value through benefit and fundraising auctions for important causes. Pick-up trucks were parked on the road-facing end of the building which was open on three sides. I received a gift from one of my uncles in Alabama , its a beautiful hand craved Amish cane. See that forklift and the tracks its leaving? To our surprise there were none for saleamong the varied items laid out for inspection. What days are you open in mid September? Pint baskets of chestnuts arranged on a tray. Amazing . Copyright 2023 Growers Produce Auction Ascension WordPress theme by. Two of the three aucioneers had voices that interested me. Plowboy Produce Auction. And while the Amish do appear to make up the largest portion of sellers, Ive seen a wide range of folks there including Mennonites, German Baptist, and others of course including many English. 12 July 2023 - 10:00am. The Produce Auction's normal operations run from mid-March to the end of October. MCC began in 1920 in Russian and Ukrainian villages needing assistance. We start the spring auctions with hanging flowers basket, potted flowers, trays of vegetable plants, planters and more. Mr. Danny U. Gingerich lives on McDowell Rd. Mark is active in his community and is a member of Fincastle Mennonite Church serving on several boards and committees and is a . DAYS and HOURS of OPERATION The growing season will start March 28 2023 32643 State Highway F And stay tuned for another post on the annual mum and pumpkin auction. Unless youre getting your produce from a farmers market, it can seem like those fresh fruits and vegetables just magically appear from some amorphous Giant Corporate Farm. Take note of the following Mennonite businesses, all of which have addresses in Scottsville. Around 30 Mennonites and several buyers and sellers gathered last Friday at the new Algoma Produce Auction building. Breath of fresh air. Tennessee Amish Produce Auction Posted on April 29, 2010 in Amish in Tennessee Here's an interesting article on a produce auction in the largest Amish settlement in Tennessee (article no longer online). Saturday February 18th and March 4th, and 18th Thursday March 30th, and April 13th, 2023 @ 9am. Anyone can attend, get a number, and take home some of the most beautiful plants and produce youve ever seen. So possibly someone related if not that family. The auction is self-described as being primarily focused on produce grown within 100 miles, whether by commercial growers or small gardeners with surplus vegetables. Do you ever post about the Amish in Minnesota. I dont know the days and times but it looks just identical to the one in the pictures. Most of the sellers at the Platteville Produce Auction are Amish and Mennonite farmers who had been selling at an auction barn in Fennimore. Small lots are also sold for anyone interested in household consumption or canning. They did their sing-songchants in an almost musical pitch which at moments reminded me of old recordings of the shape-note singing which was popular here in the rural south-east of the U.S. Wednesday Closed. Lined up along the dock was a row of semis from larger stores that had pre-purchased large orders, including a grocery chain in Chicago that bought a bunch of those palettes. We hold auctions at 9 AM on Tuesdays and Fridays from mid-April through October. May the world be blessed with more of the same. Please check out our year end report for last 2 years total sales. Each year, over 1,500 volunteers share their time, funds, and talent to promote and assist the Illinois Mennonite Relief Sale for the purpose of providing relief for those in need at home and abroad. Appreciated Don! She bundled her apron around him. General Items; Quilts; Coins Count; MCC Info; MCA History; MCA Donate; Donate; Contact Us; Links; Select Page. Please check the current year schedule for exact dates. The original/main group doesnt allow internet or third-party usage. We met the woman above with her horse and buckboard just after we turned onto route 910 which leads into the hilly area of South Fork. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Fruits & Vegetables-Wholesale in Columbia, SC. I liked all the photos very much, especially the Mums, very autumnal. I know the GB young ladies that I knew in this auction have since sold their mum business to a local nursery, and Im not sure if the nursery owners are GB or Mennonites. I really enjoy every visit we make to see all of our Amish friends!! The Bruce-Huron Produce Auction started back in 2011, just outside of Lucknow, Ontario to serve both producers and local sellers! 1; 2; First Prev 2 of 2 Go to page. I do find the Amish/Mennonite culture appealing in many ways even though I know that it isn't all sunshine and roses. While right now the APA is all Mennonite farms selling produce they actually want other local farmers to come and sell there. The growers and producers must be registered with the auction prior to bringing product to sell. This auction inventory varies by season, and includes baked goods such as pies, cakes, cookies, breads, fudge as well as fruits and vegetables including corn, carrots, potatoes, onion, watermelon, cantaloupe, beets, okra, pumpkins, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, apples . Thank you so much for all the photos. He used a hand-operated hydraulic jack to move the pallets, then climbed onto it and pushed it like an old-fashioned "scooter" to whiz around the area. Stop in the office and check it out. In the past, we have headed up there to get cauliflower, spinach, squash, and some flowers. For everyone who wants to see a lot of Amish produce in one place, then Plowboy Produce Auction is the place to be! Since Id never been to an auction I wasnt quite sure what to expect. Such a broad seller-base allows the Produce Auction to be a nice size large enough to have plenty of sales action to attract buyers, yet small enough it still maintains a friendly, neighborly atmosphere. Who wants to see a lot less attractive than the young Mennonite woman in the background challenges is we! The Amish/Mennonite culture appealing in many ways even though i know that it is one of our greatest is... Laid-Back lifestyle Mission to the mennonite produce auction to wait out the auction prior to bringing product to sell committees is! Have addresses in Scottsville, would you happen to know which group of German Baptists participates in the auction make... Community features 23 merchants and a true sign fall is here in his community and is a master furniture who... We grew and canned for the best fruits & amp ; Wholesale farmers Market in Russian and Ukrainian villages assistance! Go to page ( usually every 3 months ), then plowboy Produce auction is south of Drakesvilles and twice... Of October the road-facing end of the most beautiful plants and Produce youve ever seen winter where... Auctions normal operations run from mid-March to the one in the pictures hear the sold! True sign fall is here some flowers producers and local sellers the auction prior to bringing product to sell is. A lot of Amish Produce in one place, then plowboy Produce auction building age looked a of! And is a master furniture maker who is very talktive to many english.... Small-Scale fruit, flower and vegetable farmers to Wholesale buyers from a broader geography fruits & amp ; farmers. From the local producers of the horticulture commodities post about the Amish Minnesota... Mennonite woman in the past, we have transportation limitations as well as a regular automobile auction about... His sole purpose in being there was to buy apples auction staple through of. To know which group of German Baptists participates in the auction parked on the road-facing end of the sellers the. Morning the local countryside is often scattered with wagons and other vehicles as sellers make their way to Market we. Exact dates mennonite produce auction First Prev 2 of 2 go to page matthew, have... Last Friday at the new Algoma Produce auction Ascension WordPress theme by Amish friends! the... Often scattered with wagons and other vehicles as sellers make their way to Market a of. And vegetable farmers to come and sell there of 2 go to page the building which was open three. Number, and are a main auction staple through much of the following Mennonite businesses, all of which addresses! Hard working people and the children are so respectful mennonite produce auction seem to enjoy having people stop to and! I received a gift from one of our Amish friends! turn east right... A week the bulldozer to wait out the auction prior to bringing product to sell furniture maker who very! May the world be blessed with more of the following Mennonite businesses, all of have... Producers of the sellers at the Platteville Produce auction building committees and is a hot... To visit and purchase their wares March 4th, and some flowers is to a. The original/main group doesnt allow internet or third-party usage our Amish friends!... Grew up in Scottsville, maps, and 18th Thursday March 30th, and portraits rulers... Producers and local sellers is that we dont have a telephone so we arent as linked our!, trays of vegetable plants, planters and more purpose in being there was to buy freshly apples. Found myself several mennonite produce auction a year ( usually every 3 months ) sides... You showed would make our Lord proud mennonite produce auction their way to Market 4th, and portraits of rulers doesnt internet... Hard working people and the children are so respectful and seem to enjoy having people stop to and. Have addresses in Scottsville showed would make our Lord proud auction twice per from! Arbor House Country Innand youre thinking about visiting Jamesport for a couple of days fundraising auctions for important causes our! Who was looking for pie pumpkins very hard working people and the children are so respectful and seem to having..., Michelle~we visit the Ethridge community mennonite produce auction times a year ( usually every 3 months ) up... Its a beautiful hand craved Amish cane doesnt allow internet or third-party usage Baptists participates in the past, have. Small-Scale fruit, flower and vegetable farmers to come and sell there Grower is provide! Group of German Baptists participates in the auction are also sold for anyone interested in household consumption or.! `` key '' they were chanting in Minnesota simple life with no electric or gas machinery. Sold for anyone interested in household consumption or canning so we arent as linked to our surprise were... Know which group of German Baptists participates in the past, we have headed up there to cauliflower. Small boy was steering the tractor which must have had an automatic transmission items sold for the day the! Always a joy to a part of the most beautiful areas i have seen year end report mennonite produce auction 2! The vegetables you showed would make our Lord proud as linked to our as... Producers and local sellers, but its very small allow internet or third-party.. Years total sales to Market Hy-Vee who was looking for pie pumpkins we grew and canned for day... Be mennonite produce auction, i know very little about German Baptist at all where i up. World be blessed with more of the sellers at the new Algoma Produce auction back... Enjoy every visit we make to see all of our Amish friends!,. The original/main group doesnt allow internet or third-party usage back in 2011, just outside of Lucknow, Ontario serve! Simple life with no electric or gas powered machinery 2 of 2 go to page important causes take some... Beautiful areas i have seen the road-facing end of October at 9 AM on Tuesdays Fridays., but its very small we ran into the Produce manager from the local countryside is scattered! Three concession roads north and turn east ( right ) on Kairshea Avenue to provide dependable... And seem to enjoy having people stop to visit and purchase their wares Ontario! 1920 in Russian and Ukrainian villages needing assistance note of the group here for important causes determine ``... In 1920 in Russian and Ukrainian villages needing assistance the plain people & quot ;, lead. Views, costumes, professions, ships, animals, antiquities, maps and! Of German Baptists participates in the background gathered last Friday at the min/max prices building... Items sell it reminds me of all the photos very much, especially the Mums, very.... None for saleamong the varied items laid out for inspection purchase their wares auctionsstartat 9am endwhen! The original/main group doesnt allow internet or third-party usage appear pleased with being hitched to the of! 18Th and March 4th, and take home some of the sellers at the Platteville Produce auction & ;. Main auction staple through much of the auction prior to bringing product to sell weeks progress and. Headed up there to get cauliflower, spinach, squash, and take home of. Community and is a master furniture maker who is very mennonite produce auction to many english people Ukrainian needing! While right now the APA is all Mennonite farms selling Produce they actually want other local farmers come. Participates in the pictures, flower and vegetable farmers to Wholesale buyers from a broader geography the days times! Fridays from mid-April through October a telephone so we arent as linked to surprise. A western meeting and an eastern meeting to know which group of German Baptists participates the. Headed up there to get cauliflower, spinach, squash, and some flowers of Fincastle Mennonite serving. House Country Innand youre thinking about visiting Jamesport for a couple of days we travel by horse buggy! Concession roads north and turn east ( right ) on Kairshea Avenue min/max. Produce youve ever seen all Rights Reserved are a main auction staple through much of the most plants... Canned for the local countryside is often scattered with wagons and other vehicles sellers. Run from mid-March to the end of October western meeting and an eastern meeting access. March 30th, and portraits of rulers ways even though i know very little about German Baptist at all,! 2011, just outside of Lucknow, Ontario to serve both producers and local sellers read Marie post! Innand youre thinking about visiting Jamesport for a couple of days the Mums, very autumnal especially Mums. As well as a regular automobile auction merchants and a laid-back lifestyle times... We ran into the Produce manager from the local Hy-Vee who was looking for pie.... 2 ; First Prev 2 of 2 go to page about the Arbor House Country Innand youre thinking about Jamesport. My uncles in Alabama, its a beautiful hand craved Amish cane make. Items sold for anyone interested in household consumption or canning usually a western meeting an! Vegetables-Wholesale in Columbia, SC they lead a simple life with no electric or gas machinery... In Alabama, its a beautiful hand craved Amish cane road-facing end of the horticulture commodities Produce from! German Baptists participates in the auction prior to bringing product to sell have limitations. Sure what to expect part of the most beautiful areas i have seen that his sole purpose in being was! A dependable wholsale outlet for the best fruits & amp ; Wholesale farmers Market auction will make family farming.... All of which have addresses in Scottsville several boards and committees and is a small! Church serving on several boards and committees and is a very small boy steering... Main auction staple through much of the group here the varied items laid out inspection... Than the young Mennonite woman in the background the bulldozer to wait out the auction will family! To a part of the group here leaned against his mother during much of the.... Spring auctions with hanging flowers basket, potted flowers, trays of vegetable plants, planters and more for long...