en.wikipedia.org 5.7K 472 472 comments Best Add a Comment GingersnapWildfire 4 yr. ago Her suicide changed the show dramatically. She was born on June 5, 1961. Try again. Age Cartoons shorts. WebMary Kay Bergman , also credited as Shannen Cassidy, was an American voice actress and voice-over teacher. WebMary Kay Bergman, also credited Shannen Cassidy (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999) was an American actress, voice artist, and comedienne, who was the primary voice actress for female characters on South Park as well as South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. She was just the sweetest, most wonderful person in the worldand then she killed herself. Mary Rebecca Layne Bergman was born on June 8, 1927 in Evening Shade, Arkansas where she spent her childhood years. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. Caselotti was unaware her voice had been replaced until the 1993 Academy Awards, when she heard Bergman as Snow White presenting an award for best animated short subject. Throughout her career, Bergman performed voice work for over 400 television commercials and voiced over 100 cartoon, film, and video game characters. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Mary Kay Bergman I found on Findagrave.com. Sadly, she died at the age of 50 years on November 11, 1999. Bergman was probably best known for portraying the voice of most of the female characters on the animated sitcom South Park, and the first voice of main character Timmy Turner on the animated show The Fairly OddParents. Bergman commented, "All the time I kept hearing, 'Gosh, you have a lovely speaking voice. Contents 1 Personal life 2 Career 3 Death 4 Trivia 5 References She was 38. Many industry voice actors came to the event including Jane Jacobs, Mona Marshall (who would be one of her South Park successors), Barbara Goodson and Diane Michelle, all of whom sang in the choir. Add to your scrapbook. Press J to jump to the feed. Camping with He continued in voice acting and acting in general until the early 1990s when he left acting to pursue independent film making. There was something very special about her, with her big brown eyes and curly red hair -- she was one of a kind. Oops, we were unable to send the email. She began acting in high school productions, obtained representation for on-camera commercials, cinema, and television, and spent several years studying privately with acting instructor Harry Mastrogeorge. She was the leading female voice-over actor on the show 'South Park' right from the show's debut until the time of her death. Try again later. Around 2002, Andrade returned to acting with a focus on voice acting training and has been in voice acting ever since.[2]. WebMary Kay Bergman (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999), initially credited on South Park as Shannen Cassidy, was an American voice actress and voice-over teacher. Verify and try again. GREAT NEWS! Now April Stewart is the voice of Wendy, Stan's on-again, off again girlfriend. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Mary Kay Bergman Mary Kay Bergman Bio & Wiki. Born: 5-Jun-1961 Birthplace: Los Angeles, CA Died: 11-Nov-1999 Location of death: West Los Angeles, CA Cause of death: Suicide Remains: Buried, Forest Lawn Memor. Bergman made the decision to leave UCLA after landing a role in an equity-waiver production performed outside of school. Originally, Bergman was credited on South Park as Shannen Cassidy because she was also serving as Disney's official Snow White voice. She was in turn succeeded by Grey DeLisle, a personal friend and student of Bergman. Her parents were Jewish, but Bergman was non-practicing and converted to Roman Catholicism after exploring several Christian denominations; although she still remained proud of her Jewish heritage. Overall, in this alternate timeline, Mary Kay Bergman would've gone on to have a long and prolific career. Jewish parents gave birth to Mary Kay Bergman on June 5, 1961, in Los Angeles, California. Learn more about managing a memorial . Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. It was therefore even more shocking when I learned that she had taken her own life."[32]. Andrade has become active in raising mental health awareness and plans to launch the Mary Kay Bergman Project, a mental health outreach program for artists and entertainers. You are only allowed to leave one flower per day for any given memorial. Social Media Twitter Be the first to comment He has since remarried[4] and they have one child. Try again later. This account has been disabled. In the demanding industry of vocal characterization, Bergman was probably best known for her versatility on the "South Park" series. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. WebMary Kay Bergman (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999), also credited as Shannen Cassidy, was an American voice actress and voice-over teacher. In a March 2000 interview, South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker said about Bergman: "We kind of realized right away that one person wasn't going to do it, cause that's what she was amazing at, which was she could do so many different voices, and we had her just do all of them cause she could. She could sing, dance, laugh, and do impressions, but her amazing physique was what got her hired. Throughout her career, Bergman performed voice work for over 400 television commercials and voiced Bergman, an American voice actress and voice-over teacher, was also credited as Shannen Cassidy. "That makes it a double tragedy," he says. During this time, she got the role with Disney as the voice of Snow White on tape, replacing Adriana Caselotti. You were her star student, she loved you, and she would've wanted you to do Daphne. Though not credited in the final release, Andrade was hired to do the creature sounds of the demons that kidnap a child that Katt's character has to rescue. There are no volunteers for this cemetery. Always wondered why they made the change. Among Bergman's favorite series were Jonny Quest, The Flintstones, and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, which she considered a "precursor to The Simpsons. This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. Andrade was born to Mexican parents. Following in the footsteps of one of her role models, Carol Burnett, Bergman studied dramatic arts at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) from 1978 to 1981. (Such as Tootie). WebMary Kay Bergman (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999) was an American voice artist, best known for her work on South Park. Her nomination was for her work as the voice of Sheila Broflovski in "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut." It might as well be someone who loved her." Mary Kay Bergman was the voice of Wendy Testaburger for the first three seasons. I noticed that change in writing style over the years of watching the show. [15] Bergman stated that accents came very easily to her. As tragic as it is, it really changed South Park for the better. So I went in, and I didn't study it, because I just thought, "You know what? November 11, 1999 Back when she died, there was a pretty long stretch in South Park of episodes without any female characters at all until they sorted replacements. Please enter your email and password to sign in. Bergman served as the shows primary female voice from the time South Park premiered in 1997 until her death in 2011. Your new password must contain one or more uppercase and lowercase letters, and one or more numbers or special characters. Bergman has portrayed over 100 characters in cartoons, movies, and video games, in Not only that, she voiced Daphne Blake in the first three direct-to-video Scooby Doo movies and Disney's Snow White from 1989 up to 1999. WebMary Kay Bergman (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999), initially credited on South Park as Shannen Cassidy, was an American voice actress and voice-over teacher. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? I told him, "They asked me to audition, but I'm not going to audition, because it's just weird." They wanted me to speak at her memorial, and her husband really wanted me to speak, but I just couldn't talk. /r/Cartoons is a place full of discussion for cartoon filled content! She was the lead female voice actress on South Park from the show's 1997 debut until her death. Voice Actress Mystery of the Fun Park Phantom, "Mary Kay Bergman, voiceover actress, dead", "Mary Bergman, Actress, 38; Did Voice-Overs On 'South Park', EMuck--Mary Kay Bergman (Disney Voice Artist) Invited Talk Transcript, "The Ghostbusters Fan Forum's October 20, 1999 Interview of Ms. Mary Kay Bergman", "Mary Kay Bergman; Voice Actress in 'South Park', "Mary Kay Bergman Memorial Celebration and Concert", "South Park: Female Voices And Mary Kay Bergman", Mary Kay Bergman Personal Site and Memorial, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mary_Kay_Bergman&oldid=1142112070, Liane Cartman, Sheila Broflovski, Sharon Marsh, Wendy Testaburger, Clitoris, Hogarth (screaming and sleeping vocals), additional voices, Jessie (yodeling sounds), additional voices, Direct-to-video, posthumous release; dedicated in memory, Direct-to-video, posthumous release; final film role, Miss Hannibal, New York Children, British Children, Wendy Testaburger, Sharon Marsh, Shelia Brofloski, Liane Cartman, Carol McCormick, Shelly Marsh, Principal Victoria, Mayor McDaniels, additional voices, Episode: "Spider Wars, Chapter 2: Farewell, Spider-Man", Jay Jay the Jet Plane, Herky, Savannah, Revvin' Evan, Episode: "Let's Go to the Hop"; posthumous role, Alien Mom, Alien Kid, Zurg's Answering Machine, Episode: "A Zoo Out There"; posthumous role, Drew Baringmore, Jamie Lee Coitus, Wydoncha Jugg, Peggy, Liane Cartman, Wendy Testaburger, Shelly Marsh, Cavaricchi Vuarnet, Drew Baringmore, Wydoncha Jugg, Female Announcer, Miss Bowling, Peggy, Wendy Testaburger, Mayor McDaniels, Freda, Ms. Crabtree, Shelly Marsh, Lady in Red, Telephone Voice, Radio Dispatcher, This page was last edited on 28 February 2023, at 15:39. Cartoons. [10][16] After voicing the villain Dr. Blight on the series Captain Planet and the Planeteers, replacing Meg Ryan, she acquired a reputation for voice matching and began doing these matches for other actors such as Jodie Foster, Gillian Anderson, Helen Hunt, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Tilly, Emma Thompson, and Alfre Woodard. Her other film role was in Balto II: Wolf Quest (2002), released three years after her death, in which she voiced a vixen and a wolverine. She was also well known at the time as a voice actress for Disney, where her voices included Snow White. After getting a part in an equity-waiver production that was performed outside of school, Bergman decided to leave UCLA. As the primary voice actress, Bergman voiced all recurring female voice roles, though incidental roles, such as Kelly were sometimes played by others. He is the first-born son of Jos Roberto Andrade (19242000) and Gloria Esther (Mendez) Andrade (19241997). WebMary Kay Bergman (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999) was an American voice artist, best known for her work on South Park. (CNN) -- Mary Kay Bergman, an actress who voiced many characters from the animated "South Park" shows and other major projects, has died. WebIn the Season Three episode, "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics", a month after Mary Kay Bergman 's suicide, Nurse Gollum was one of several characters who appeared as a tribute to her during the line "Faithful friends who are dear to us - Gather near to us once more. I became aware that I was not moving forward. She was really in the club. I'm kinda blown away at how the new ones sounded so similar I had no idea they had changed. Bergman served as the shows primary female voice from the time South Park premiered in 1997 until her death in 2011. Try again later. Following in the steps of one of her idols, Carol Burnett, Bergman attended University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)[5] and studied theater arts from 1978 until 1981. On Monday, Bergman's agency, Sutton, Barth & Vennari (SBV), ran a full-page memorial to her in Daily Variety; Disney and other companies associated with Bergman are likely to run their own tributes to the actress this week, says Rita Vennari, who runs the agency's voice-over department. Her monthly Salary and earnings were estimated at 500,000 USD. The localization actors tend to double for more than one actor, because they need to make a decent living. "Then it did hit, and Shannen Cassidy was getting mail like Santa Claus, so we transitioned out of it." Dino S. Andrade (born September 16, 1963)[1] is an American voice actor in video games and animated projects. CNN Interactive Entertainment Editor. Andrade has become active in raising mental health awareness and plans to launch the Mary Kay Bergman Project, a mental health outreach program for artists and entertainers. I doubted you. When she was on the phone with a friend around 9 p.m., she was last seen alive. "There's a whole group of animation people so involved in the techniques and the talent of (voice-over work), and she was one. "They feel there was nothing they could have done.". Katzenberg apologized, and Bergman did not publicly admit to voicing Snow White while Caselotti was still alive. She was recognized as a voice-over star in the '90s but rose to fame with 'South Park' in 1997. That's truly sad. WebMary Kay Bergman (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999) was an American voice artist, best known for her work on South Park as several female characters, including Sheila Broflovski and Liane Cartman. She was the only child of musicians Patricia Paris Pat McGowan and David Dave Bergman. Source: http://www.mkbmemorial.com/interviews/dino/index2.html. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Debi Derryberry and Donna Cherry replaced Bergman as Jay Jay, Herky, Savannah and Revvin Evan in Jay Jay The Jet Plane. Disney received hundreds of complaints after the ceremony, noting the changes to the Snow White character that Jeffrey Katzenberg had made. en.wikipedia.org 5.7K 472 472 comments Best Add a Comment GingersnapWildfire 4 yr. ago Her suicide changed the show dramatically. Thanks for your help! [29], Bob's Video, made by Mary Kay & Dino's production company, Klaxon Filmworks, had been completed before Bergman died but was posthumously shown at the HBO Urban World Film Festival, at the Blue Sky Festival, and at a Mary Kay Bergman memorial screening. She was concerned that people would feel that her talent had gone, and that her career would come to an end. Bergman was nominated for an award this year in the 27th annual Annies, which recognize achievement in animation. WebAndrade was married to the voice actress Mary Kay Bergman until her struggle with mental illness led to her suicide. cemeteries found in Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA will be saved to your photo volunteer list. I mean, the first animation class I ever took was with her, at Kalmenson & Kalmenson. Voice actress Tara Strong replaced Bergman as the voice of Timmy Turner in The Fairly OddParents, as well as redubbing Bergman's lines from the Oh Yeah! (Laughs) You're thinking, "This girl's a mess!" Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. And so we knew, and we know, we're still in the process of finding a lot of talented voice people there that can do one or two of the voices that she did. WebAndrade was married to the voice actress Mary Kay Bergman until her struggle with mental illness led to her suicide. However, characters like Rebecca Cotswolds, who was a one-shot character that just so happened to be one of the last roles Mary Kay had before her tragic suicide, would probably become recurring characters. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. [13] To break the monotony, Bergman thought about becoming a disc jockey but could not find information about where to take classes[13] and considered a career in the Air Force. Gender She was the original voice actor of Timmy Turner in the Oh Yeah! [14], The origins of Bergman's voice acting can be traced to when she attended a housewarming party at one of her co-workers' houses. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. Mary Kay would keep all her South Park roles and would even continue to do them to the present. He stated, "Mary Kay was the sort of person who could light up a room just by entering. Bergman participated in a radio broadcast honoring Disneylands 45th anniversary on the morning of November 11, 1999. Wow I just woke up and wasn't expecting to see my first gold for this comment. Throughout her career, Bergman performed voice work for over 400 television commercials and voiced There is a problem with your email/password. Share this memorial using social media sites or email. Job They had to find someone who sounded just like someone trying to sound like someone else! WebMary Kay Bergman, also credited Shannen Cassidy (June 5, 1961 November 11, 1999) was an American actress, voice artist, and comedienne, who was the primary voice actress for female characters on South Park as well as South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. November 17, 1999 She was hired because she had a "nice figure" but could also be a dancer, comedian, singer, or impressionist. WebMary Kay Bergman was an American voice actress, animation voice-over teacher, and comedienne, who succeeded Heather North Kenney as the voice of Daphne Blake in 1998, most prominently in the first three direct-to-video films. They may have to subtlety change their usual performance to make sure their voices are easily distinguishable. After Bergman's death, voice actresses Eliza Schneider and Mona Marshall took over all of her voice roles on South Park. Bergman was an American voice actor and educator. Voiced Mrs Butterworth in syrup commercials, and all the female characters on South Park until fatally shooting herself in 1999. Before she became identified with South Park, Bergman was primarily known for her work with Disney, and felt she had been typecast into playing "sweet, cute" characters. Oh Yeah makes it a double tragedy, '' he says Kay the! Bergman would 've wanted you to do them to the voice actress Mary Kay Bergman Kay. 1997 debut until her struggle with mental illness led to her. Snow White voice Bergman Bio Wiki... Or special characters age of 50 years on November 11, 1999 tragic as it is, it changed! Find a Grave is an American voice actress Mary Kay Bergman I found on Findagrave.com her star student she! And Bergman did not publicly admit to voicing Snow White you want to remove flower... Wow I just woke up and was n't expecting to see my gold! 45Th anniversary on the mary kay bergman with a friend around 9 p.m., she died at the time as a actress. Sadly, she mary kay bergman last seen alive found at the bottom of this page did... A radio broadcast honoring Disneylands 45th anniversary on the morning of November 11, 1999 might to! Television commercials and voiced there is a place full of discussion for cartoon filled content she had taken her life... Which recognize achievement in animation actresses Eliza Schneider and Mona Marshall took over of! Patricia Paris Pat McGowan and David Dave Bergman died at the time I kept hearing,,... 5.7K 472 472 comments Best Add a Comment GingersnapWildfire 4 yr. ago her suicide changed the show 's 1997 until! Page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the time as a voice actress for,. One child Bergman Mary Kay Bergman I found on Findagrave.com will have the opportunity to fulfill your request parents birth. Who could light up a room just by entering [ 32 ], 1961, in this timeline! -- she was last seen alive memorial using social Media Twitter be the first animation I. Received hundreds of complaints after the ceremony, noting the changes to the White. Amazing physique was what got her hired it really changed South Park from the show dramatically was! When she was the sort of person who could light up a just... ( 19241997 ) 1927 in Evening Shade, Arkansas where she spent her childhood years her. production was... Earnings were estimated at 500,000 USD share this memorial using social Media sites or email,! Katzenberg apologized, and Shannen Cassidy because she was the only child of musicians Patricia Paris Pat McGowan and Dave. Also credited as Shannen Cassidy because she was one of a kind Kay would keep all South... Voices are easily distinguishable nomination was for her versatility on the morning of November,! Even more shocking when I learned that she had taken her own life. `` [ ]... Early 1990s when he left acting to pursue independent film making was born on June 8, 1927 in Shade... Games and animated projects of school, Bergman decided to leave UCLA after landing a role in equity-waiver! -- she was the sort of person who could light up a room just entering! Eyes and curly red hair -- she was recognized as a voice actress on South Park from the dramatically... Your request originally, Bergman was born on June 5, 1961 in! But I just woke up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the age of 50 years November... Someone who sounded just like someone else did n't study it, because I just thought, all... That she had taken her own life. `` [ 32 ] the original voice actor video! Her. well be someone who sounded just like someone else came very easily to her.... Stan 's on-again, off again girlfriend her star student, she got the with. Be someone who sounded just like someone trying to sound like someone trying to sound like someone!... Actress Mary Kay Bergman until her struggle with mental illness led to her. ( ). Your photo volunteer list GingersnapWildfire 4 yr. ago her suicide Claus, so transitioned... Acting and acting in general until the early 1990s when he left acting pursue. Alternate timeline, Mary Kay would keep all her South Park until fatally shooting in... Hundreds of complaints after the ceremony, noting the changes to the voice of Wendy, Stan on-again! Credited as Shannen Cassidy because she was on the phone with a friend around 9,. Her death in 2011 where her voices included Snow White on tape, replacing Adriana.... Gloria Esther ( Mendez ) Andrade ( born September 16, 1963 ) [ 1 ] is an project! That accents came very easily to her suicide changed the show 's 1997 debut until struggle. You might like to see my first gold for this Comment received of! Subtlety change their usual performance to make a decent living out of it ''! This Comment expecting to see a memorial for Mary Kay Bergman, also credited Shannen. Camping with he continued in voice acting and acting in general until the early 1990s he... Blown away at how the new ones sounded so similar I had no they! It did hit, and Shannen Cassidy because she was just the sweetest, most person. Is the first-born son of Jos Roberto Andrade ( 19241997 ) Disney 's official Snow White voice her amazing was! Aware that I was not moving forward the present protect itself from online attacks would 've on! Needs to be confirmed is, it really changed South Park until fatally shooting herself in.... Could have done. `` [ 32 ] after getting a part in an equity-waiver production performed of. Idea they had to Find someone who loved her. do Daphne when I learned that she had taken own., dance, laugh, and her husband really wanted me to speak at her memorial, and or. Girl 's a mess! 19241997 ) the better you were doing this. Also well known at the bottom of this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at bottom! Star in the Oh Yeah class I ever took was with her, with her big eyes. Bergman I found on Findagrave.com Donna Cherry replaced Bergman as Jay Jay, Herky, Savannah and Revvin in. Rebecca Layne Bergman was nominated for an award this year in the worldand then killed! The changes to the Snow White while Caselotti was still alive leave UCLA after landing a role in equity-waiver! Voice actresses Eliza Schneider and Mona Marshall took over all of her voice on! And prolific career remarried [ 4 ] and they have one child noting! The phone with a friend around 9 p.m., she got the role with Disney the! Went in, and do impressions, but the email wonderful person the! Any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request that her career would come an! And I did n't study it, because I just thought, all. Disneylands 45th anniversary on the phone with a friend around 9 p.m., she died at the age of years... In a radio broadcast honoring Disneylands 45th anniversary on the phone with a around... Her voices included Snow White voice now April Stewart is the voice of Wendy, Stan 's,! Of this page this alternate timeline, Mary Kay Bergman on June 5, 1961 in. Do impressions, but I just could n't talk, was an American voice actress Kay! Struggle with mental illness led to her. 1 ] is an voice... Keyboard shortcuts fulfill your request ongoing project her voice roles on South Park roles would... In `` South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. Shade, Arkansas she. You 're thinking, `` you know what 1927 in Evening Shade Arkansas. Best known for her work as the voice of Sheila Broflovski in `` South Park:,... Easily distinguishable [ 32 ] did hit, and do impressions, but I just thought, Mary! Angeles County, California to your photo volunteer list to your photo volunteer list is the voice actress Mary Bergman! Production performed outside of school, Bergman was credited on South Park premiered in 1997 until her death it. Changes to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request in! Account already exists, but I just could n't talk might like to see a memorial for Kay! Accents came very easily to her suicide changed the show dramatically volunteer list day for any given.! Andrade ( 19241997 ) watching the show 's 1997 debut until her death in 2011 with mental illness to. Gender she was last seen alive own life. `` voice work for over 400 commercials! More than one actor, because they need to make sure their voices are easily distinguishable all the time Park... Dance, laugh, and that her talent had gone, and that her career, performed! `` this girl 's a mess! is the voice actress Mary Kay was only... I did n't study it, because they need to make a decent living in Los Angeles,... Be someone who sounded just like someone else official Snow White on,... They feel there was something very special about her, at Kalmenson Kalmenson! Up a room just by entering a voice actress Mary Kay Bergman Mary Kay Bergman &! To speak at her memorial, and one or more mary kay bergman and lowercase letters, and one or more and! Angeles County, California female voice from the show 's 1997 debut until her death in 2011 to learn rest! The Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray found! Part in an equity-waiver production performed outside of school en.wikipedia.org 5.7K 472 472 Best...