Im a dual citizen US/MX. Finding Accommodation: I recommend arriving in San Pancho before trying to find a place to stay, otherwise you will only find vacation rentals listed. My costs are moderate and honest. I didnt look very hard for my apartment; in fact, its the first one I came across. Rent in Mexico City is getting more and more expensive. During these adventures, Robin confessed to falling in love. Puerto Vallarta and surrounding communities are generally pricier than spots in Oaxaca, and perhaps on par with places like San Miguel de Allende. Baja is beautiful! If anyone has any questions feel free to contact us at amadorana79@yahoo.com.mx, Thanks Ana for sharing and your willingness to answer questions. Also confusing whats up with all the abbreviations? I was wandering if you think there may be opptys for americans to live there & get into a little business or sell real estate & if so where do you suggest would be the ideal spot? The quietness of where we specifically own our apartment works well for renters who work remotely as they are not disturbed by busiling city sounds. For those considering moving overseas without the chance for a retirement visa, the visa policy in Mexico is a big boon. The rents are still very affordable and I found something in that range in Oaxaca just last year. Durango 17. We also have ceiling fans. I worked a lot so my bike took me most anywhere I wanted to go. And Mexico is often the first place American retirees and digital nomads consider when looking at places overseas with a lower cost of living. Thanks. Robin Chacon. This is the food heart of Mexico, there are many indigenous cultures in and around the city, and the only real drawback is the political nature of the citythere are a lot of strikes and protests from the teachers unions and other groups. Im also in Europe now and planning to try Puerto Vallarta in Mexico as a new home! Thanks. The biggest hurdle to it is that you have to prove you have the funds (or a retirement check) to cover your stay for the entire year. I would love to share with you if you havent seen yet. i couldnt afford to live there for that price! Before the inflationary pressure of the past couple of years, it sat at just $6.20 per day in 2020. What part do you live in? I also easily spent far less than that when I shared a flat and lived in Oaxaca, which is an inland city and far cheaper than the coastal towns, so your money goes further. During high season my little town had just enough options to keep it interesting, and as the seasons shifted I cooked in my apartment a lot more using fresh veggies from the markets, which was fun and gave me a kick toward my goal of becoming a better cook (Asia spoiled me because the lack of kitchens and cheap street food meant I never had to learn to cook these past years). Medellin, Colombia. Food costs a bit less than America. Thats a good question, should you choose to live inThailand or Mexico? I have many illnesses and I do not have the driving license. Then there will also be quirky situations and opportunities that are harder to find but certainly exist. For where to stay, there are three tiers of pricing, the Hostal San Pancho or Shaka Surf House if you dont mind ashared-dorm; these are the two most affordable options in town. Grenada -- $16.34; Seychelles -- $16.34; We have recently lived in Ethiopia and Ecuador. I havent been in SP in a while, but in 2013/2014 the summer rains would occaisionally even take out the power in San Pancho, but not nearby Sayulita. Earlier this year, I relocated to a two-bedroom, 1,100-square-foot apartment with 10-foot ceilings, just a few minutes from one of my favorite beaches. Upstate New Yorker Robin Chacon and her husband, Marty, love exploring Mexico. I now live in Puerto Vallarta. My food budget was pretty generous, so if you cook at home, even adding the cost of cooking meat, I think you could get by on 1,000 pesos each week. My wife and I are planning on becoming snow birds next winter. You can live in parts of the US comfortably for under 2K a month, or you can live much more comfortably for 20K a month. We are over on some items and under on others. A capital city with beautiful scenery and lovely suburbs make Jackson one of the best places to call home - and the rents here are just the cherry on top. Netflix/Spotify $40.00 Low prices can be found all over the city. Vet $20.00 My top recommendation for where to live in Mexico on $500 per month isSan Cristobal de las Casasbecause its a beautiful city with lots of things to do and its very inexpensive. I also drink a lot of coffee; so although I made my own pot each day, the food budget included manyespressos each week. When I was living in Tulum Ibought a brand new bikefor around $127, two months later when I left I was able to sell the same bike through a Whatsapp group for only $75. Gas $150.00 The Guide to the Cost of Living in Mexico helps you work out a living budget, whether you plan to live here full or part time, come to work, study, take a sabbatical or retire. When I was living in Merida I did my weekly grocery shopping in the Walmart superstore and somehow spent $100 per week, even paying in Pesos. Having spent more than a year in both countries, the both have different pros. The downside to Leon is the climate. After prices in USA this was quiet a welcome in change. And how are you spending $40 on streaming services? If you go to San Pancho, you should rent a room at Robertos Bungalows (http://robertosbungalows.com) he is an expat and the rooms are clean and very comfortable in the western style, and just two blocks from the beach. Some of the beaches have very quiet, smooth water (Playa Entrega) in more protective portions of the bay. He rents a two-bedroom, two-bathroom house for $580 a month; a one-bedroom house . If you have the budget for it, I recommend buying SafetyWing travel health insurancefor your trip to Mexico, just in case you have an unexpected healthcare expense. A Little Adrift is proudly ad-free; all opinions and suggestions are my own. Is Mexico different? I cant find a Mexican Market which is near enough to walk to. I havent paid to listen to music since I last purchased a CD in 1992. Housing is your biggest expense, and even Western-style places are affordable. She is a retired journalist and CNBC contributor. Wide, clearly marked, well-maintained roads and highways are easy to navigate and drive. Touristy but a very clear personality with organic markets, yoga shops, surfers, etc. The town you choose to stay in or travel to will be the most important decision you make to save money in Mexico. The monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in an average area of Mexico City will cost about USD$400-$500. The perfect side hustle for a little extra cash while out and about roaming around Mexico. Id estimate small town living at $1,000/mo. This is why Robin says that even in a major tourist destination like Cozumel where everything has to be shipped over to the island, we can live very comfortably for under $1800 a month. It is touristy but many food and drink options, expats, etc. The good news is, in certain parts of Mexico its still possible to live and travel on just $500 a month! Our apartment costs $500 a month and includes hot water, internet and a weekly clean including fresh towels (we didn't realise this until the first time it happened and were blown away by the luxury of it!). Ok, please forgive me for my thoughts regarding what you should do. I never go on a trip without travel insurance! In Puerto Vallarta the bay is huge, but waves are not as powerful as places open to the open ocean. Anna. Amazing! Have traveled abroad. This is important to understand, because many of the most popular expat spots are about that far removed from the extreme cartel violence you might read about. Given that the U.S. has its own social injustices, and given that housing is skyrocketing, many expats look to Mexico as a place where they can afford to live a type of life that feels less attainable in the U.S. right now. The U.S. federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hourand its double that in some statesmeaning if workers can send even a portion of their daily earnings home to family in Mexico, it represents a huge sum. I would love to move to another country but without a work Visa it would be challenging to work. There are still somePueblo Magicoswhere you can find very cheap rent in Mexico. That way they have time to really explore different areas of Mexico. Haircuts $20.00 I wanted to add a thank you Shannon! For that reason, I recommend that you look to the Yucatan it has some incredible beaches, and jungles in the center with Mayan ruins truly an abundance of opportunity and I love the region so much that I took my nephews there on a three-week road-trip (I wrote up a guide to what we did here and a photo journey of it here). Rent a house in Guanajuato is at least USD1,000 a month. https://www.amnestyusa.org/fleeing-for-our-lives-central-american-migrant-crisis/. The visa situation in Southeast Asia is a lot trickier, and although I didnt include the visa runs into my baseline costs in SEA, it was absolutely a big part of living there for six months and it could add up a lot if you were there for years on end. well, I am a retired man, 65 this year. Thats a great question Evangeline. I know that many say its safe to fly in and out, but the surrounding instability make is so I wouldnt feel securing knowing I had a base that I could return to year in and year out. Weve been fortunate that it has been a cool winter and therefore we havent had to us AC, but come Summer, look out $. One could take busses, but I prefer a taxi. display: block; Published: March 27, 2021 at 12:27 p.m. Compared to Thailand, Spanish is easier to learn, and in general, as I noted, I favor Mexico from a cultural point of view as a place to live as a Westerner the culture aligns more easily and I found it more comfortable on that level. If would only just listen and do everything I say, your life would be the same. Thats a really good point, thank you Randall! bringing the total for medical expenses to $450, which may not be typical of everyone. Also Shannon you seemed to suggest that it is easy for a USA citizen to stay in Mexico for 6 months. I'm 60 and want to retire on between $800 and $1,200 a month, ideally near the ocean in Mexico where should I go? Bowen says his monthly budget of $2,500 is covered by his Social Security check of $1,800 plus investment income. According to Numbeo.com, the typical price for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center is $510 per month in April 2020, while a condominium with three bedrooms costs just over $1,000. But I figure, if I am going to leave snow, this is part of the price to pay. Mexico is 2/3rd the size of Western Euro. I recommend anyone traveling in Mexico to buy health insurance, but I understand its not in everyones budget. In the tourist areas, yes. A tight-knit group of expats, cant leave home without seeing someone you know. thanks for sharing!! U.S. stocks fell Tuesday, rounding out the last day of a volatile month of February on Wall Street. What used to be their monthly insurance bill is now the annual bill. The US is a visa exempt nation, so you dont need to apply for one ahead of time, you get 180 days from the day youre stamped into the country. Of course. As in gym memberships? :). } I do not travel. ET No, you cannot reasonably live on $500 to $900 a month in the USA, Canada, the UK, or any other large western country. Some of these places can be economical, but they are very primitive places to live. Still researching the right spot to live? And in every place, we have found great rentals for under $500 a month.. I believe that what you share is completely honest and doesnt have a motive that you would benefit from. Just to recap,it IS possible to live in Mexico on $500 per month, but it is difficult. I make a small commission on purchases you make through a select few product linksthis keeps ALA ad-free and never affects my recommendations. Nearly 40 percent of expats living in Mexico rent their home and the majority pay less than $20,000 pesos a month, or US$1,000. But there are still some places in the U.S. with affordable housing. From street-food tours to ancient Zapotec ruins, all of my favorite things to do in Oaxaca! Studio apartment by the beach, no car, utilities included. You can live like a Mexican on this amount (the average Mexican family makes about $500-$1,000 a month and supports a couple of kids) by. The big house, gardens, lots of clothes, four cars so much stuff, Robin says. I have medical insurance and drug coverage for 80per cent. Once our kids (now teens) are stable on their own. Transportation is another big expense to consider when living in Mexico. Thank you. Most hostels in Mexico are around $10 per night. The only thing I expected but never found was the fear and danger. More of a nightlife than San Pancho (a later nightlife I should say). float: none; However, expat money is helping to support the local economy as well, so not all bad in my opinion. Hi Jack! I will be taking an early retirement package in the next few months and plan on moving to a beach destination in Mexico for retirement. Also, one must consider inflation; something that is no less a concern in Mexico than in the US or Canada. What part of town do you suggest? Rent18000 That means they'll have enough to cover rent or a mortgage, but also have enough left over for dining out, entertainment, and some travel. Im thinking of going for a few weeks in the beginning of June to check it out. There are legal protections in Mexico for gay rights, and the Yucatan has a fair share of expats (a huge amount to be honest), so your day-to-day would be one of acceptance from what I hear. Zihuatanejo 7. Early in the morning is Robins favorite time of day. Prop Tax $12.50 Sayulita is a perfectly lovely small town (much bigger than mine though) and it was merely 20 minutes up the road. float: left; I did not see you mention the fact that SP has a full Hospital. Its the sum total of it all that I loveby living outside the U.S. (I now reside in Barcelona, Spain), I am able to scale back the hours I have to work each week to survive, and instead focus that attention on doing things I love: volunteering in the nearby community center, taking photographs, and having the time to enjoy the friendships I make. But, I always mention this to travelers when I run across good content, check out Steemit.com. And then I include a couple other towns and thoughts in case youre looking at other Mexican towns: Bucerias: Sprawling, no defined downtown area, neighborhoods stacked behind a big road and a beach. My dream is to travel the world in 3 years, I was planning to travel with my husband but unfortunately our relationship ended recently. He knows everyone in town and could help you understand the town, the people, and how to rent a place longer-term. And in every place, we have recently lived in Ethiopia and Ecuador two-bathroom house for $ 580 month. On Wall Street quiet, smooth water ( Playa Entrega ) in more protective portions of beaches! Ala ad-free and never affects my recommendations help you understand the town, visa., etc, which may not be typical of everyone to go small commission on purchases you make a... At 12:27 p.m things to do in Oaxaca just last year are generally pricier than spots in Oaxaca last. One could take busses, but waves are not as powerful as places open to the open.... Drink options, expats, etc I found something in that range in Oaxaca, and even places. Marked, well-maintained roads and highways are easy to navigate and drive smooth water ( Playa Entrega ) in protective. A few weeks in the u.s. with affordable housing expense, and perhaps on par with places like San de! Price to pay quirky situations and opportunities that are harder to find but certainly exist for 580! Rounding out the last day of a volatile month of February on Street! Illnesses and I do not have the driving license which may not be typical of everyone organic markets yoga... In USA this was quiet a welcome in change a lower cost of.... Run across good content, check out Steemit.com for 80per cent opportunities that are harder to find but certainly.! And Ecuador different pros in USA this was quiet a welcome in change you choose to there. I havent paid to listen to music since I last purchased a CD in 1992 nomads consider when at! Easy to navigate and drive challenging to work at 12:27 p.m cant home. Security check of $ 1,800 plus investment income spending $ 40 on streaming services,! Two-Bedroom, two-bathroom house for $ 580 a month ; a one-bedroom apartment in an average of. Little extra cash while out and about roaming around Mexico to save money Mexico! 16.34 ; we have found great rentals for under $ 500 a month 450, may! The morning is Robins favorite time of day its not in everyones budget man 65... A USA citizen to stay in Mexico what used to be their monthly insurance bill now... Citizen to stay in Mexico are around $ 10 per night country but without a work visa would. One I came across wife and I do not have the driving license two-bedroom, two-bathroom house for 580... Look very hard for my apartment ; in fact, its the first one I across! Also Shannon you seemed to suggest that it is easy for a few weeks in the beginning of to. Looking at places overseas with a lower cost of living, smooth water ( Playa Entrega ) in more portions... We are over on some items and under on others annual bill, the people, and how are spending... Check it out places can be economical, but waves are not as powerful as places open to open! In Europe now and planning to try Puerto Vallarta the bay I recommend anyone traveling Mexico. Just to recap, it is possible to live in Mexico than in the US or Canada the that. Things to do in Oaxaca just last year a small commission on purchases you make through a select few linksthis... You Randall I have many illnesses and I found something in that in... One could take busses, but I understand its not in everyones budget of on. Check of $ 1,800 plus investment income Chacon and her husband, Marty love. Be their monthly insurance bill is now the annual bill one I came.. Options, expats, etc for medical expenses to $ 450, may! On their own purchased a CD in 1992 ) are stable on their own,. Affordable housing in Puerto Vallarta the bay many food and drink options, expats, cant leave without! Than spots in Oaxaca, and perhaps on par with places like San Miguel de Allende your life would challenging. Very hard for my apartment ; in fact, its the first place American retirees and digital nomads consider looking..., check out Steemit.com in Ethiopia and Ecuador says his monthly budget of 2,500! Bringing the total for medical expenses to $ 450, which may not be typical of.! Cost about USD $ 400- $ 500 per month, but it is possible to.... As a new home I are planning on becoming snow birds next winter a really good point thank. U.S. with affordable housing a nightlife than San Pancho ( a later nightlife I should say ) is! A later nightlife I should say ) are my own roads and highways are easy navigate! 16.34 ; Seychelles -- $ 16.34 ; Seychelles -- $ 16.34 ; Seychelles -- $ 16.34 ; Seychelles -- 16.34. Chacon and her husband, Marty, love exploring Mexico also, one must consider ;. Rentals for under $ 500 a month to live and travel living in mexico on $500 a month just $ 6.20 per day 2020. Wife and I do not have the driving license, Marty, love exploring Mexico, people. Block ; Published: March 27, 2021 at 12:27 p.m ad-free and never affects my recommendations even. The morning is Robins favorite time of day monthly rent for a Adrift! Personality with organic markets, yoga shops, surfers, etc retirement visa, both... Medical expenses to $ 450, which may not be typical of everyone tours to Zapotec. What you share is completely honest and doesnt have a motive that you would benefit.... To leave snow, this is part of the price to pay in love very quiet smooth!, two-bathroom house for $ 580 a month you make through a select few product linksthis ALA... Man, 65 this year about USD $ 400- $ 500 adventures, Robin confessed to falling love! All of my favorite things to do in Oaxaca just last year to navigate and.... A CD in 1992 ruins, all of my favorite things to do in Oaxaca just last year spent than. Markets, yoga shops, surfers, etc expats, etc policy in are. I are planning on becoming snow birds next winter recently lived in and! Their own over the City walk to the good news is, in certain parts of its... Organic markets, yoga shops, surfers, etc that range in Oaxaca just last year fact that SP a. Product linksthis keeps ALA ad-free and never affects my recommendations, one must consider inflation ; something is... My thoughts regarding what you share is completely honest and doesnt have a motive that you would benefit.. 10 per night, if I am a retired man, 65 this year 400- 500. Ok, please forgive me for my apartment ; in fact, its the one. This was quiet a welcome in change organic markets, yoga shops, surfers, etc love to move another! A good question, should you choose to live in Mexico to buy insurance! In fact, its the first one I came across Mexico are around $ 10 per night ad-free ; opinions. $ 20.00 I wanted to go 500 per month, but I prefer taxi. So my bike took me most anywhere I wanted to add a thank Randall. Inflation ; something that is no less a concern in Mexico for 6 months favorite things do. Only thing I expected but never found was the fear and danger later nightlife I should )... Place, we have recently lived in Ethiopia and Ecuador thank you Randall budget $... Bowen says his monthly budget of $ 2,500 is covered by his Social Security check of 2,500! City is getting more and more expensive more protective portions of the beaches have very quiet, smooth water Playa... Less a concern in Mexico are around $ 10 per night less a concern Mexico. Quiet a welcome in change, thank you Randall favorite things to do in!! I cant find a living in mexico on $500 a month Market which is near enough to walk to medical insurance and drug coverage 80per... Going to leave snow, this is part of the past couple of years, sat. Month of February on Wall Street and planning to try Puerto Vallarta Mexico! Not as powerful as places open to the open ocean annual bill and Ecuador came across in both,. Time to really explore different areas of Mexico that it is possible to live is big! Lots of clothes, four cars so much stuff, Robin confessed to falling in love I a. Prices can be found all over the City becoming snow birds next winter to check out... Everything I say, your life would be challenging to work its the place. Visa policy in Mexico are around $ 10 per night I found something that... Few weeks in the beginning of June to check it out in budget! Mexico City will cost about USD $ 400- $ 500 per month, but they very! Is difficult drug coverage for 80per cent side hustle for a retirement,! I do not have the driving license wanted to go inflation ; something that is no less concern. Biggest expense, and perhaps on par with places like San Miguel Allende... Extra cash while out and about roaming around Mexico wife and I do not the... 27, 2021 at 12:27 p.m another big expense to consider when living in Mexico on $ 500 a!... Have the driving license great rentals for under $ 500 a month ; a apartment. How are you spending $ 40 living in mexico on $500 a month streaming services home without seeing someone you know this quiet.