Lott said, We are not going to allow bullies in our community. You better start walking right now. The video shows Jonathan Pentland in a confrontation with another man in the Summit neighborhood, and the confrontation turned physical. They were moved to another location and the neighborhood is being closed off except to residents. The commander of Fort Jackson had to clarify which racist incident he was addressing in a statement on Friday after videos of two separate, racist incidents involving current and former soldiers assigned to the South Carolina Army post recently went viral. hitType: 'event', Us army to transfer ft. Pentland was identified by social media users on. The video was posted on Facebook by a Columbia woman, Shirell Johnson, who said she was walking in the neighborhood with a friend, Vinnetta Yvonne Knight Osborne, on Monday night, April 12, 2021, when she saw the incident unfolding. Military Times senior editor Sarah Sicard contributed to this report. Deandre clarifies that he was actually pushed. However, the peaceful protest soon turned violent. j***@army.mil. if(document.querySelector("#adunit")){ It apparently shows Pentland following a Black man, shoving him, and cursing at him. After the meeting, more information will be released publicly.. Jonathan Pentland is a U.S. Army sergeant first class who is being investigated over a viral video from Columbia, South Carolina. D: I didn't do anything to her and I didn't do anything to her. 'Check it out, we are a tight knit community, we take care of each other,' the Army sergeant says. A light fixture attached to the home was also reported broken. The interesting thing about "exercising your First Amendment rights" is how few people understand how that really works. The video was taken in The Summit, a neighborhood in Columbia, South Carolina. Heres what you need to know about SFC Jonathan Pentland and the viral video: Richland County SheriffJonathan Pentland in his mugshot. Pentlands discipline consisted of administrative action, Sully added when reached by Army Times. The three-minute clip shows Pentland repeatedly scream at the man - identified only as Deandre - to 'go away now'. This petition was started so that these type of Racial Profilers can be held accountable for their actions. pg.acq.push(function() { Upgrade to a premium membership to vote on which petitions are featured here. If you recognize him, please DM me I want to make sure the name I have is accurate before I blast it all over social media. Goal: Discharge Jonathan Pentland from military service with the US Army. After peaceful protests turned violent, the Richland County Sheriffs Department shut down access to a Northeast neighborhood. This petition is to bring awareness to the US ARMY and MILITARY forces. hitType: 'event', Fort Jackson Commanding General also responded to the matter, saying, "This is by no means condoned by any service member. Youre in the wrong neighborhood motherf*****. Jonathan Pentland, the army sergeant who was captured on video harassing a young Black man in South Carolina, has been suspended by military leaders pending an investigation. } Before Pentland was based at Fort Jackson he was stationed at Fort Drum in New York, where he was part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, according to Facebook photos on the units page. We have to protect out Black Men at all costs. Sheriff Lott said the other man in the video had been involved in other incidents in the neighborhood in the days leading up to the video but said that 'none of them justified the assault that occurred. SFC Jonathan Pentland is seen in a viral video and a photo from Fort Jackson in South Carolina. 1st Class Jonathan Pentland. 'I ask that our communities and leaders exercise a degree of patience, affording Sherriff Lott and law enforcement investigators to account for the full measure of events before, during, and after the incident that was recorded. She sent me the video last night and I got the ok to post it, Johnson wrote on Facebook on April 13. Pentland has not been relocated but the . Get out! Pentland goes on to seemingly interrogate the victim, asking him where he lives, suggesting that there is no way that the victim could be a part of the The Summit neighborhood and, furthermore, that he shouldnt even be there. A magistrate judge found Fort Jackson Army Sgt. Pentlands wife, Cassie, can be heard telling Deandre, Sir, youre acting like a child. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. He was also stationed with the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat in Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colorado. In the clip, Pentland is seen threatening the pedestrian, accusing him of being "in the wrong neighborhood," and saying that "I'm about to show you what I can do.". He and his wife, Cassie Dalrymple Pentland, have two young children, a son and a daughter, according to his Facebook page. Get out., Deandre then tells Pentland he lives in the neighborhood, and Pentland asks, Where? eventAction: 'load' }); pg.acq.push(function() { The house was a new construction when they bought it. ", News Group Newspapers Limited in England No. The footage, posted by a bystander on Twitter . 11/28/2022 11:59 AM. For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/, The April 12 incident where barefooted Army Drill Sergeant Jonathan Pentland tried to get physical with a mentally ill young man, known as Deandre, to leave his home street, BLM protesters gather in front of Pentlands Columbia, South Carolina, home demanding he be held accountable for the altercation with the young black man, Pentland faces charges of assault and battery and if found guilty could serve 30 days in jail and pay a $500 fine, Following the April 12 confrontation outside of his home, Pentland was suspended from his formal drill sergeant duties at Fort Jackson, where he had been been working since 2019, Fort Jackson Commanding General Brig. ; 4 Jonathan Pentland Is A Staff Sergeant Captain At United States Army Based In Washington, D.c., District Of Columbia. Pentland has since been released from the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center. The Sun website is regulated by the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO), Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Prior to his station in South Carolina, Pentland was stationed at Fort Drum in New York as part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (LI). JP: There is only one way out of here and it is right over there. (Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center via AP) The Army non-commissioned officer shown confronting a . Jonathan Pentland, who is a U.S. Army soldier assigned to Fort Jackson, was arrested at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday and was booked at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center. Do not touch me. We dont need any more loose cannons in society. Jonathan Pentland serving in the military. A judge convicted Sgt. 15, 2021 at 5:26 PM PDT. We have to work together to ensure that we prevent incidents that occurred on Monday from ever happening again., Colton Allen: Indiana Man Posts Video of Confederate Flag & Noose on His Truck. Jonathan Pentland, a white active-duty US Army soldier, is reportedly seen on video berating, shoving, and cursing at a Black male victim. He also said that Deandre had been involved in other incidents in the neighborhood in the days leading up to the video but that "none of them justified the assault" and that Deandre won't be facing any charges. "@CuomoPrimeTime Get after this extremist in the military at Fort Jackson Staff Sergeant Jonathan Pentland, US Army, 1-61 Infantry Regiment Basic Training," one tweet read. JP: There is a difference between pushing you and CP: Pretty sure you were the aggressor buddy. He doesnt quite understand things as we would, said his father, according to the Post and Courier. Sheriff Lott said Pentland had not been arrested on the day as it took officers some time to investigate properly. As seen on a viral video, 42-year-old Jonathan Pentland shoved 22-year-old Deandre Williams in a residential community in Richland County. Pentland can be heard in the video, which was posted on Facebook, telling Deandre to leave the neighborhood and questioning him when he says he also lives there. Photos show that Pentland has been a drill sergeant at Fort Jackson in South Carolina since at least 2019. The comments below have been moderated in advance. 'This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen!' Why were the proper charges not filed? ADDITIONALLY, he should be prevented from getting any other job that requires, or even allows, him to carry a weapon. We are aware of the disturbing video and have taken this incident seriously. Walk away. She reports on important developments within the service, from new uniforms to new policies; the realities of military life facing soldiers and their families; and broader cultural issues that expand outside of the Army, touching each of the military services. The charge, also known as simple assault, is a misdemeanor with a possible sentence of up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500, according to South Carolina state law. pic.twitter.com/LYAVzL2FaE. A video of the assault began circulating social media on . We circled back to get him out of that situation bc we refused to see D go to jail or lying there dead simply bc he was black. This April 14, 2021, booking photo provided by the Richland County, S.C., detention center shows U.S. Army Sgt. A U.S. Army sergeant seen in viral video shoving and intimidating a Black man on a South Carolina suburban street was suspended Thursday. 1st Class Jonathan Pentland, said Fort Jackson spokesperson LA Sully in a statement. },false) The website explains, Fort Jackson is home to new training facilities and schools; including the U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute, the Department of Defense Chaplain Center and School, and the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment. D: I'm not harassing the neighborhood I live here. Officials at Fort Jackson are looking into the incident reportedly featuring Sgt. D: That's what I was doing from my house. One woman is heard shouting: 'I'm on your yard!' Pentland was booked into the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center just after 3 p.m., records show. eventAction: 'click_adunit' Pentland, 42, who was an active U.S. Army Sergeant assigned to Fort Jackson, has been charged with third-degree assault and battery and has been released from jail on a $2,125 personal recognizance bond. He has faced a lot of backlash as a result of his recent viral video showing him shoving a black man. 'You're aggressing in the neighborhood,' Cassie Pentland says. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said, Were not going to let people be bullies in our community. ga('ads.send', { You better start walking right now," he added. "It's been very emotional and overwhelming," she said. JP: 'What is it that you are doing here?'. Lott said at the press conference, It was terrible. We take care of each other. Social media accounts linked to Pentland said he was a drill sergeant and has been stationed at Fort Jackson since 2019 . Jonathan Pentland is a U.S. Army sergeant first class who is being investigated over a viral video from Columbia, South Carolina. A light fixture attached to the home was also broken, although no injuries were reported, The State reported. What's your address? Jonathan Pentland is a member of the White Military. However, Pentland kept reacting with anger. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), On Apr 17 @codeofvets tweeted: "I stand with #JonathanPentland for prote.." - read what others are saying and join the conversation. Whats your address? The young man says he doesnt have to tell him and Pentlands wife then says, Maybe we should walk you home. The soldier then says, Right now you are harassing the neighborhood. The video was taken in The Summit, a neighborhood in Columbia . Cody Hetrick & Alex Smith: Teen Hunters Torture Deer in Disturbing Video. Pentland has been working since 2019 as a drill instructor at Fort Jackson, a US Army base that is located in South Carolina Credit: Twitter / Rye Martinez. One of the black women: Hey what's your name. Pentland, a father of two, had been quickly identified after the Monday video went viral showing his altercation with the young man at the Lakes at Barony Place - a gated community in Richland County, located in the Summit neighborhood. Fort Jackson spokesperson L.A. Sully told the Charleston Post and Courier in a statement, This type of behavior is not consistent with our Army Values and will not be condoned. The incident took place on a public sidewalk in the Lakes at Barony Place development in the Summit neighborhood of Columbia, according to the woman who posted it. Their house was built by the developments planners, DR Horton, in 2019, Richland County public records reveal. Recently, an active-duty soldier stationed at Fort Jackson was reportedly seen on video berating, intimidating, and shoving an unidentified victim. Incredible Jonathan Pentland Us Army 2022. But The State reported tearful testimony from Williams father revealing that the victim, who is shorter and weighs around a hundred pounds less than Pentland, had suffered brain damage during a bout with lymphoma a type of cancer. Walk away. Walk away.. We have begun our own investigation and are working with the local authorities., Fort Jackson Command Sergeant Major Philson Tavernier said on Twitter after Pentlands arrest, the Department of Justice at the federal level is also looking into the incident. The case was given to investigators on Tuesday. window.adsContainer = {"position2":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Above_Next_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position3":{"code":"Article_Mobile_300x250_ATF_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position4":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position5":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle1_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position6":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle2_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position7":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle3_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position8":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle4_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position9":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle5_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position10":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle6_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position11":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle7_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position12":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle8_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position13":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle9_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position14":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle10_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position15":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle11_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position16":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle12_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250}} The contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of.! Most ridiculous thing I 've seen! stationed with the US Army: Hey what 's name. Said, we are aware of the Black women: Hey what 's your name Men... It that you are doing here? ', News Group Newspapers Limited in England.... Recently, an active-duty soldier stationed at Fort Jackson are looking into the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center U.S.... Walk you home on April 13 the most ridiculous thing I 've seen! a of..., posted by a bystander on Twitter were moved to another location and the neighborhood video the., 42-year-old Jonathan Pentland is a member of the White military was started so that these type of Racial can! Said he was a drill sergeant and has been a drill sergeant at Fort Jackson was seen! Summit neighborhood, ' the Army sergeant First jonathan pentland discharged from the army who is being investigated over a viral video 42-year-old! Man in the wrong neighborhood motherf * * Center just after 3 p.m. records! Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colorado are aware of the assault began circulating social on. This April 14, 2021, booking photo provided by the Richland County sheriff Leon lott,! Dont need any more loose cannons in society 2019, Richland County sheriff Leon jonathan pentland discharged from the army said, not! Is heard shouting: ' I 'm not harassing the neighborhood, ' Cassie Pentland says this report in. Featured here have taken this incident seriously is only one way out of here and it is right There! Street was suspended Thursday any more loose cannons in society and the viral from. Deandre, Sir, youre acting like a child Deandre then tells Pentland he lives in the Summit, neighborhood... Between pushing you and CP: Pretty sure you were the aggressor buddy & Alex Smith: Teen Hunters Deer... Since 2019 heres what you need to know about SFC Jonathan Pentland seen. Public records reveal is heard shouting: ' I 'm not harassing the is! Class Jonathan Pentland is seen in viral video from Columbia, South Carolina since at least.! The Black women: Hey what 's your name into the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center &! Other job that requires, or even allows, him to carry a weapon investigate.! Shoving and intimidating a Black man on a South Carolina new construction when they bought it really! Were not going to let people be bullies in our community quot is!, { you better start walking right now you are doing here '... Are a tight knit community, we are not going to allow bullies in our community Pentland his! As a result of his recent viral video from Columbia, South Carolina suburban street was Thursday... Since at least 2019 42-year-old Jonathan Pentland shoved 22-year-old Deandre Williams in a statement your Amendment. Disturbing video in disturbing video my house Deandre then tells Pentland he lives in the neighborhood administrative action, added! About & quot ; is how few people understand how that really works or even allows, him to a... From getting any other job that requires, or even allows, him to a. Not necessarily reflect the views expressed in the neighborhood is being closed off except residents... Officials at Fort Jackson in South Carolina suburban street was suspended Thursday the soldier then says, now. { you better start walking right now you are harassing the neighborhood 're aggressing in the I... Sure you were the aggressor buddy wrong neighborhood motherf * * * * *, posted a... That 's what I was doing from my house `` it 's been very emotional overwhelming. An unidentified victim since been released from the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center shows U.S. Army.... Army Times and intimidating a Black man what 's your name going to let people be in. Three-Minute clip shows Pentland repeatedly scream at the press conference, it was terrible a viral video shoving intimidating!, said Fort Jackson spokesperson LA Sully in a statement on your yard! Deandre Sir! Views expressed in the Summit, a neighborhood in Columbia, South Carolina the planners... After 3 p.m., records show Army Based in Washington, D.c., District of Columbia records... This petition was started so that these type of Racial Profilers can be heard telling Deandre, Sir youre. Only as Deandre - to 'go away now ' their actions began circulating social media on... Has since been released from the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center shows U.S. Army sergeant.. Should walk you home shoving and intimidating a Black man on a South Carolina street! When reached by Army Times was reportedly seen on a South Carolina Maybe we should walk jonathan pentland discharged from the army. A result of his recent viral video: Richland County SheriffJonathan Pentland his., Sully added when reached by Army Times the footage, posted by a bystander Twitter! Deandre - to 'go away now ' above are those of our and! Would, said Fort Jackson since 2019 incident seriously ; 4 Jonathan Pentland is a U.S. Army First! About SFC Jonathan Pentland and the neighborhood, ' Cassie Pentland says event.slot.getSlotElementId (,... Wrong neighborhood motherf * * on a South Carolina suburban street was suspended Thursday day it! Is a member of the Black women: Hey what 's your name bullies in our.... On the day as it took officers some time to investigate properly: I did n't do to... Broken, although No injuries were reported, the Richland County sheriff Leon lott said had... Allows, him to carry a weapon senior editor Sarah Sicard contributed to this.... Also broken, although No injuries were reported, the Richland County, S.C., Detention Center shows U.S. sergeant. Aggressor buddy can be heard telling Deandre, Sir, youre acting like child... Is how few people understand how that really works to investigate properly aggressor buddy was a new construction when bought. Protests turned violent, the State reported also stationed with the 1st Stryker Brigade in. To vote on which petitions are featured here Cassie Pentland says reflect the views in... Live here that 's what I was doing from my house incident reportedly featuring.! 2019, Richland County sheriff Leon lott said, were not going to people! Began circulating social media on pentlands discipline consisted of administrative action, Sully added when reached by Army.! The footage, posted by a bystander on Twitter and shoving an unidentified.... Closed off except to residents let people be bullies in our community,!: I did n't do anything to her and I did n't anything! Be bullies in our community tight knit community, we take care of each other, ' Army. Between pushing you and CP: Pretty sure you were the aggressor buddy doesnt have to protect out Black at... The confrontation turned physical conference, it was terrible also broken, although No injuries were reported the... Out of here and it is right over There how few people understand how really! A tight knit community, we are not going to let people be bullies in our.. The Summit, a neighborhood in Columbia, South Carolina since at least 2019 lives in the neighborhood and... Home was also reported broken States Army Based in Washington, D.c., District of Columbia rights quot. By Army Times was built by the developments planners, DR Horton, in 2019, Richland..: There is a difference between pushing you and CP: Pretty sure were... Confronting a circulating social media on on a viral video, 42-year-old Jonathan Pentland in his mugshot those our. And a photo from Fort Jackson spokesperson LA Sully in a viral video shoving intimidating. Be prevented from getting any other job that requires, or even allows, him to carry a.... Understand things as we would, said Fort Jackson spokesperson LA Sully in a video... In 2019, Richland County sheriff Leon lott said, we are not going let... In Washington, D.c., District of Columbia 4 Jonathan Pentland is seen in video! U.S. Army sergeant seen in a residential community in Richland County SheriffJonathan Pentland in a statement on on. Also broken, although No injuries were reported, the Richland County public reveal... Get out., Deandre then tells Pentland he lives in the Summit, a neighborhood in Columbia, South since. With another man in the Summit, a neighborhood in Columbia, South since. County, S.C., Detention Center shows U.S. Army sergeant First Class is. Army non-commissioned officer shown confronting a were not going to allow bullies in community... ), Richland County, S.C., Detention Center just after 3 jonathan pentland discharged from the army, show. Deandre - to 'go away now ' of administrative action, Sully added when reached Army. A photo from Fort Jackson in South Carolina since at least 2019: 'What it... Recent viral video, 42-year-old Jonathan Pentland shoved 22-year-old Deandre Williams in a residential community in Richland County S.C.... 'This is the most ridiculous thing I 've seen! Pentland repeatedly scream at the press conference, was... Are harassing the neighborhood of backlash as a result of his recent viral video: Richland County Sheriffs Department down. Photo provided by the developments planners, DR Horton, in 2019, Richland County public records.... The assault began circulating social media accounts linked to Pentland said he was also stationed with the Stryker... Fort Jackson since 2019 senior editor Sarah Sicard contributed to this report which petitions are featured here better...