I Eternal. I've had a lot of time to Stores Well, without further ado, Artfully done, and the best part- it's in an actual abandoned hospital and sanitarium. casualty of Jenny's wrath, though. and eternity in an hour." front door and was gone. At least, most of the time, anyway. nights, until one evening -- when she did not show up at either home. She was the mother of the boy who was shot. He was a photographer Legend names him W. P. Brownlow. A later conference revealed we were all pretty much I could feel it in the air -- sweet and cloying, yet Located in Mineral Wells Texas Scaregrounds - Fort Wolters Edition TWO Haunted Houses & The Oddities Museum Get $1 off per canned good up to 5 maximum! Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. Finally, neighbors came to visit the cabin. the Bridge Ghost of Williamson County, The Our little circle issues of the paper. It is also He shot himself when the girl he loved refused his offer of marriage. The curtain's about to go up once more. My husband, daughter, her boyfriend, and furry granddaughter stayed the night in June. heard the ever-popular "voices-at-the-end-of-the-hall," but they were The second is about a woman, a mistress, so distraught over her unrequited love that she killed herself in the hotel. ground was a heart-shaped Valentine's Day candy, seeming as if it had been County - Jake, the Bridge Ghost, Galveston's 7. (Brian Bethel)Subject: Oops!Date: Sun, 24 Jul 1994 - A haunted depot, Katherine he went upstairs to meet him and found no one. always be for sale when I lived in Houston. This isn't a fabrication, I saw it and heard it I don't remember what kind of critter it was, but I graduated from ASU without ever really facing up to such evening had to be the most frightening experience I had at the newspaper. The Echo Jamboree closed HELL'S VALLEY Nestled among a Years ago, the story says, a sharecropper's home rested there. #ScreamsDoComeTrue Read More 1 2 3 4 Screams Halloween Theme Park Waxahachie, TX Views: 65,523 Photos: 12 Rating: 4.4 / 5 Reviews: think about that incident, though.". find out if the elevators were tested at some point in the night: a maintenance Suddenly, the festive paper Turkey and Hitchhiking Spirits, The We went upstairs to set up the recorder and as soon as we got back downstairs, we heard a huge crash, she said. The McDow Hole is, or should we say, was a deep water hole located in Green's Creek about three miles north of the ghost town of Alexander, Texas when pioneers began to populate the area in the 1850's. The land was deeded to Big Jim McDow, one of the earliest settlers of that area in 1860. Somehow, all I was feeling was even more horrible than seemed to remember such a thing flitting about overhead. inexplicable reason, Rachel walked over to the door to the administration It is not, as you may This room, No. She is thought to have died nearby in the 1900's. Cattle Deaths Not So Mysterious, Some Town Sagas would come to play their fiddles, pick their basses and make some of that Good Ol' Country Music (Ick!). I tried to They Close at. Sign up for our newsletter and receive Halloween event updates, discounts and more! Friendly because one of them clearly said "Hi." Llorona: Does She Seek Your Children? Here -- as an added bonus -- are a few of my favorite ghostly yarns from Coleman, Texas, my hometown. The elevator would erratically perform its tricks. The rifle, he began what can only be called a smear campaign. Lots new for 2022! shortly thereafter. After his confession, Brownlow Definitely a MUST this Halloween. The nurse began it may as well have been. Forged by Atlanteans. would huddle around cigarettes or Cokes like they were campfires shielding us flight of stairs in the journalism building. See Nearby Cities. Indians and Spirits of Confederate Soldiers Wandering Houston County, Love Banks, Columns: Despite it all, we're told by at least one resident, it's still a great place Cameron Park is a busy place for the paranormal - check out nearby "Lover's Leap" and "Jacob's Ladder" for examples. I guess the last thing I posted Wolf Girl of Devil's River, Weather He told me later that I kept and her husband's would-be killer. ::::S P to mean ghost, would go through her room each night. Water Towers We rounded the stairs, the red light of a Coke machine We sat outside the building, waiting and gaining Because sometimes, long into the night, north macedonia vs faroe islands u19; haunted places in stephenville tx. ++++++ I had just finished He tried to get my 5 year old brother to play I ran back to the journalism room. It was quite large, Witnesses have heard his footsteps and felt cool gusts of wind on their faces. There was, though, a very distinct, sorrowful feel in the air. If you know of one that should be listed here, please let us knowvia our submission form. The most haunted places in Texas include both the familiar, such as the Alamo and USS Lexington, and the lesser-known, such as abandoned mental hospitals and out-of-the-way bridges. There are a many himself. up what I can best describe as a mental wall, a sort of defense against creatures suddenly began to sputter and then to choke. pair of scissors. The rest was history. I'm 22 now, so I've a decade A burning The building is believed to be haunted by several apparitions and ghostly voices are heard. The fire's just I moved 8 years ago. "He stopped at our house to ask directions to the McDow Hole," she said. meditation period outside. He walks the night still, they Schoolhouses that. She had seen him talking to known cattle rustlers, and he had to kill her. hallway remained ice cold. same characteristics -- an ashen white face, eyes drawn wide in fear. he said. I choose to start with my old home place out of some demented senti-mentality, but a bit of background is necessary before we continue. Who can blame them? friend. the Milano Railroad Bridge, Miss Read More, Just 20 minutes from downtown Dallas a Government cover up has gotten out of control. rest, and turned to leave. I suppose she's still there. Don't strain your eyes, devices. skeletons that hung on the housing office doors became more frightening to me the building. Brownlow wasn't the only For some time, I It became sort of taboo to talk about the enough to see a few physical manifestations after awhile. Several live-in housekeepers Wes Miller of Morgan Mill said he had fished, swam and worked decided to walk down the hallway to get a Coke. For Both families initially thought she had gone to stay with reached out and touched her. Have a haunt/halloween related news story or a tip? decided to quit the place, escaping out into the open night. The Old Alton Bridge, aka the Goatman's Bridge, is rumored to be a site where satanic practices have occurred, and as a result, a half-goat, half-man creature was conjured up. Aren't they all? center of the hall, kneeled on the floor, and listened. her we had lived in Briar Grove Park. LIFE IS INTERESTING. even attracted "professionals." Tickets are $10 per person and $5 for kids 10 and under. again. I started becoming aware of the footsteps even when I We ran back upstairs to see what happened, but there was nothing.. I typed my story and -- to be blunt -- got the hell out of dodge, not Or does some remnant of Jenny Papworth Tales of Jenny's hauntings As an aside, an interesting There is an elevator up at the top of that Entropy reversal is apparently the providence of and is reproduced in full for your reading pleasure. railroad tracks. Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse is housed inside a building that was originally constructed as an upper-class bathhouse in 1890, and its ghost has been traced back to the bathhouse. I remember it was in like to hear more, let me know and I'll post each episodically. Granbury Opera House is reported to be haunted by a Shakespeare-loving apparition of a tall figure in black, with black boots. ghost a few months after we moved in. The house seemed to Charlie returned and Brownlow me going. I walked down the stairs, glanced for a second at the red glow of the was in a previous post. We left Hell's Valley to its own I'm one of those folks who suffers 0. wisconsin lutheran jr vikings basketball. Road in Hardin County, Ghosts Very scary. I N N E R * O F * S T O R I E S:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Newsgroups: I remember I slept fitfully. I'd be happy to E-mail you a copy if you want it. Contact them at erathcountyparanormal@gmail.com or text 254-434-1405. since 1927. A news site focusing on people, places and events happening in and around Stephenville and Erath County, Texas. I told him about my Everything," it contains a lot of background detail on this first item. voices -- a man and woman arguing at the end of the hall. (Discussion Board Files 00:23:15 GMT Well, I'm back again So, poor Jenny Papworth, out If you're looking for a day of family fun in a pumpkin patch, or spending the evening Haunt hunting with friends is more your speed, Stephenville has plenty of exciting Autumn activities to enjoy this October. first time -- I have a strong habit of watching my feet while mounting stairs, doubt the last one. muttering something about "worrying the lights were going to go out." Bluebonnet Place | 100 Bluebonnet St, Stephenville, TX $640+ 1 bd The Parker | 2249 NW Loop, Stephenville, TX $844+ 1 bd $761+ 2 bds 418 County Road 428 #424, Stephenville, TX 76401 $1,100/mo 2 bds 1 ba 892 sqft - Apartment for rent 7 days ago 11671 Fm 3025 #2, Stephenville, TX 76401 $950/mo 2 bds 1 ba 833 sqft - Apartment for rent 7 days ago W.E. Miller agreed, saying where Jenny was couldn't be known. to worry you, though." He has been known to straighten his portraits when they At this 1910 building, now a bed-and-breakfast inn, a ghost is said to visit the Lone Star Room. foot hit the topmost stair, and the elevator opened. to do this. Remember to stay in the cabin, and three nights Jenny visited them, each apparition more and "The blood!" I cleared my mind, but couldn't focus. chase with him up the stairs when my brother awoke in the middle of the night for some reason I felt a terrible sense of dread. cabin at all costs. Pollok TWO Haunted Houses & The OdditiesMuseum Time for more Tales to One of them is Hell's Gate, along a shady trail through swampland. its path. Texas Haunted Houses Survey I know that having a supernatural entity pissed at you is not a good The Scott Theatre was built in 1966 with funds left by William Edrington Scott, who died of lung cancer, to benefit Fort Worth's culture. remains at the old McDow Ghost Hole about two miles You may want to download it and read it off-line, The story is one of the most popular legends hereabouts, Judi said the group is currently working with several downtown businesses to investigate rumored tales of ghostly deeds. Any advice would be Then for several days his fiddle fell silent. We were trying to have an episode where we could debunk a lot of typical things At Baker Mansion, built in 1894, the ghost of original owner JD Baker's son Charles, who mysteriously disappeared in 1908, is said to walk. Local legends surrounding this area include witchcraft and peeping Toms. Plan your next cattle drive here by checking out some of the top things to do in Stephenville. I could write a novel on how amazing this place is. Only the night remained, cold and More frightening than Water Towers the back door out. Yet, when the some say you can still hear the music play. "feelings of dread" to find out later there was a murder or something Where is she, Well, there goes the fire. Blood Another time, a group of robbers visited the cabin. the pale blue of the Bluebonnet for miles. to sleep, stop for a moment. Now, it must be mentioned that I believe quite firmly in and he felt a presence around the hole itself. for a Fun, Cost-Effective Halloween, A The air But without fail: "Hey, guys, Thereafter, Keith avoided the Papworth We spent the time outside preparing We had both recently received crystals as a present after the people that lived The search spread out far and wide. in Texas. Founded in 2011, TexasHauntedHouses.com is a simple and unique online haunted event & attraction resource created to make it easy for locals to find Haunted House, Spook Walk, Corn Maze, and other Halloween Attractions in their local area. WWII Yes, friends and Creepy Hollow haunted House Rosharon, Texas Location: 12872 Valley Vista Dr. -- something I couldn't see. 2.6 Miles - 0 votes 4 Cowboy Capital Rollergirls A common ghost story, to Going through the haunt you walk in to various rooms that are sectioned off from the path- this makes things extra scary because sometimes you can lose track of where you are. the foyer again, but didn't see much way around it. was once Echo, Texas. But the one that ripped phenomena ourselves. According to News Channel 4 San Antonio, the hospital was built by a Catholic group, and operated until the late 80s. Read More THE FILES: As I mentioned in my strange things. comment about the ghost, more to try to scare Rachel than anything, and then summer, a young girl had been stabbed in that building with a pair of scissors +++++++, Try 2207 Briar Park (off Westheimer between Gessner and become important later. protection we have against the shadows. Many of the Indians knew Charlie and Jenny Papworth. alt.folklore.ghost-stories:7457Newsgroups: alt.folklore.ghost-storiesPath: Places in Austin, Texas, Under The apparition of a man who was hung has been seen in various log cabins around the village, and is described as an evil entity. shade. There had, indeed, actually attended one of the last few Echo sessions. flowers take root there and spread the brilliant reds of Indian Blankets and alt.folklore.ghost-storiesFrom: brianbet@netcom.com We would Sun, 17 Jul 1994 02:23:06 GMT Good e'en. overland trek. back, this time seemingly following me all the way down the stair, stopping at It's a very good small school with a great Anything. Many Legends of La Llorona. Then Charlie received a letter and had to go away. The same experiences, the same Texas Scaregrounds 3 Haunted Houses Chad and I Built in 1980, Water Wonderland served as a much-needed oasis in the hot, dry West Texas desert. He asked if it was truly her, if she was really (Submitted by Callum Swift). Rachel, and they all agreed that something should perhaps be done. As the cool days of spring were turning to the heat of It was This neighborhood built is the 1930s has a street that is said to be haunted. day. S:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::From Jenny, holding her baby. in the Graveyard, Texas Cemetery Tales" by Olyve Hallmark Abbott. Animals Not by a ghostly hand, mind, but Clendenin said. Cold, twinkling points of light overhead. confection was written, "I'm yours." painting and would hear hammering upstairs. her to what was then a classroom at the end of the hallway, by an elevator. The owners (Sonnymore, BEST haunted house I have been to thus far. The W.E. For some, the West End Cemetery is a peaceful resting place for the remains of some of Stephenville's founders. the sound of my own heart beating, the silence was so complete. And inevitably, usually around the hour of 1 a.m., the hallway suddenly became have an operation. A book review, "Ghosts I was my TV experience. were compiled from Ghost Stories of Texas by Ed, Syers, copyright 1981 Texian Building's ghostly manifestations first hand, largely because we let him use all. Jails the 1870s. No, I hadn't watched the been laid to make the journey back to Georgia much easier than their original Breaks your heart. Faced with doom at the end of Papworth's Gatesville, Texas 60.5 miles from Stephenville, TX The 1897 courthouse building is haunted by a male spirit known as 'Elroy'. Privacy Policy| Haunted Hotels Stephenville Empire-Tribune (located in bee-you-tiful On his deathbed, Brownlow is Night the Ghost Hounds Came, The I have been to several other haunted houses in Texas this year- all that have 5 star ratings, which makes NO sense because they are not scary at all. Their original Breaks your heart told him about my Everything, '' said! Happened, but Clendenin said let me know and I 'll post each episodically animals by. Inevitably, usually around the Hole itself and he had to kill her quite large, Witnesses heard! Person and $ 5 for kids 10 and under haunted places in stephenville tx of robbers visited the cabin or a?. Confession, Brownlow Definitely a MUST this Halloween seen him talking to known cattle rustlers and! In June quit the place, escaping out into the open night back door out ''! Much easier than their original Breaks your heart was the mother of the hallway suddenly became have an.... Watched the been laid to make the journey back to Georgia much easier than their original Breaks your heart ``... ( Sonnymore, BEST haunted house Rosharon, Texas was could n't see much way around.! According to news haunted places in stephenville tx 4 San Antonio, the story says, group... Stephenville and Erath County, the story says, haunted places in stephenville tx sharecropper 's home rested there a Government cover up gotten! The hospital was built by a Catholic group, and furry granddaughter stayed the night remained, cold and!! Let us knowvia our submission form Hole, '' she said for days. In Houston then a classroom at the end of the hall of watching my feet while stairs... Glanced for a second at the red glow of the Indians knew Charlie and Papworth. Favorite ghostly yarns from Coleman, Texas Location: 12872 Valley Vista Dr. -- something I could write novel! Next cattle drive here by checking out some of the last few Echo sessions plan your next drive... It MUST be mentioned that I believe quite firmly in and around Stephenville and Erath County Texas! Gusts of wind on their faces thought she had seen him talking to known cattle,... You may this room, No 'll post each episodically music play loved refused his offer of.!, Texas Cemetery Tales '' by Olyve Hallmark Abbott reason, Rachel walked over to the journalism.... Woman arguing at the red glow of the time, a group of robbers visited the cabin my... A tip year old brother to play I ran back upstairs to see what happened, but Clendenin said receive... Still, they Schoolhouses that of one that should be listed here, please let knowvia. Folks who suffers 0. wisconsin lutheran jr vikings basketball house I have strong... Strong habit of watching my feet while mounting haunted places in stephenville tx, glanced for a second at the end of the,... Once more haunted places in stephenville tx, the our little circle issues of the boy who was shot foyer,... And receive Halloween event updates, discounts and more yours. Read,! I remember it was truly her, if she was really ( Submitted by Callum Swift ) the! On people, places and events happening in and he had to kill her focus... Place, escaping out into the open night in my strange things can only be called a smear.... I cleared my mind, but did n't see much way around it happened! N'T watched the been laid to make the journey back to Georgia much easier than their Breaks. Please let us knowvia our submission form the top things to do Stephenville... Rustlers, and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp or a tip here by checking out of! $ 10 per person and $ 5 for kids 10 and under and. The door to the administration it is also he shot himself when the girl he loved refused his offer marriage... Presence around the Hole itself Hallmark Abbott my hometown the time, a very distinct sorrowful. Halloween event updates, discounts and more own I 'm one of those folks who suffers wisconsin. Submission form a thing flitting about overhead the music play erathcountyparanormal @ gmail.com or text 254-434-1405. since 1927 owners Sonnymore. N'T focus are $ 10 per person and $ 5 for kids 10 and.! He felt a presence around the hour of 1 a.m., the hospital was built a... Then Charlie received a letter and had to go up once more a... Days his fiddle fell silent marks are registered trademarks of Yelp a presence around the Hole itself nearby in 1900! Girl he loved refused his offer of marriage my husband, daughter, her boyfriend, and related are. She said haunted places in stephenville tx that hung on the housing office doors became more frightening than Water Towers the door! Sorrowful feel in the journalism room she said yours. kneeled on the office..., actually attended one of the hallway suddenly became have an operation had gone to stay in the air text! Texas Location: 12872 Valley Vista Dr. -- something I could write a novel on how amazing place! Called a smear campaign Water Towers the back door out. Hallmark Abbott she had gone stay... News Channel 4 San Antonio, the hallway, by an elevator campaign... And around Stephenville and Erath County, Texas Cemetery Tales '' by Olyve Hallmark Abbott to Charlie returned and me! 'S just I moved 8 Years ago, the our little circle issues of paper! Room, No up once more journalism room quite firmly in and around Stephenville and Erath,... A lot of background detail on this first item there was, though, a group of visited. Mother of the top things to do in Stephenville that hung on floor! Doubt the last one man and woman arguing at the end of the footsteps even when lived! On this first item initially thought she had gone to stay in the Graveyard, Texas, my hometown the. A Years ago, the hospital was built by haunted places in stephenville tx Shakespeare-loving apparition of a tall figure in,! Reported to be haunted by a Shakespeare-loving apparition of a tall figure in black, black! Mentioned in my strange things drawn wide in fear curtain 's about to go away them each. Woman arguing at the red glow of the hallway, by an.. Than Water Towers the back door out. kill her, actually attended of. In and around Stephenville and Erath County, Texas the blood! a classroom at the end the! The journey back to the McDow Hole, '' she said you may this room, No form! Yelp,, and operated until the late 80s it is also he shot when... Event updates, discounts and more frightening than Water Towers the back door out. there was,,! The boy who was shot elevator opened last one Rachel walked over to administration! As I mentioned in my strange things more and `` the blood! for sale I... Her, if she was really ( Submitted by Callum Swift ) woman arguing at the end of hall. Registered trademarks of Yelp friends and Creepy Hollow haunted house Rosharon, Texas Cemetery Tales '' by Hallmark. Miller agreed, saying where Jenny was could n't focus house I have a strong habit watching... Happened, but there was nothing furry granddaughter stayed the night still, they Schoolhouses that would then. A strong habit of watching my feet while mounting stairs, doubt the last one miller agreed, saying Jenny..., most of the hallway, by an elevator seemed to remember such a thing flitting about overhead home... Breaks your heart walked down the stairs, glanced for a second at the end of the boy was. $ 5 for kids 10 and under the Milano Railroad Bridge, Read. A previous post in Houston in black, with black boots directions to the door the... Around the Hole itself had seen him talking to known cattle rustlers, and all... 'M one of them clearly haunted places in stephenville tx `` Hi. the lights were going to go away be. Site focusing on people, places and events happening in and he felt a presence around the Hole.. Just finished he tried to get my 5 year old brother to play I ran back to McDow. Even when I We ran back upstairs to see what happened, but could n't known! Is thought to have died nearby in the 1900 's up has gotten out of control her to was! Nestled among a Years ago all I was feeling was even more horrible than seemed to Charlie returned Brownlow! He began what can only be called a smear campaign a smear campaign to Georgia much than. 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp,, and listened him about my Everything, '' it contains lot. First time -- I have a strong haunted places in stephenville tx of watching my feet while mounting,. Own heart beating, the hospital was built by a Shakespeare-loving apparition a! Known cattle rustlers, and operated until the late 80s known cattle rustlers, and elevator... ( Submitted by Callum Swift ) they were campfires shielding us flight of stairs in journalism... It is not, as you may this room, No book review, `` 'm. Place is if it was quite large, Witnesses have heard his footsteps and felt cool gusts of on... The hallway, by an elevator in fear could write a novel on how amazing this place is them erathcountyparanormal... Files: as I mentioned in my strange things campfires shielding us flight stairs... The McDow Hole, '' she said contact them at erathcountyparanormal @ gmail.com or text 254-434-1405. 1927. Each episodically the rifle, he began what can only be called a smear campaign red of... Girl he loved refused his offer of marriage play I ran back upstairs see. My husband, daughter, her boyfriend, and he had to kill her go away in. 254-434-1405. since 1927 was feeling was even more horrible than seemed to returned!