Greg Maddux, a Hall of Famer, threw out the ceremonial first pitch during Game 5 of the World Series in 2021. So, yes, stealing strikes sounds exactly like a Maddux thing. Lets take a deep breath and dive into some key moments in this evolution of baseball protocol. The four-time National League Cy Young Award winner says he never received a contract offer because a Yankees executive suffered a heart attack at the time. However, since this is speculative, we cannot include that in the verdict. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: mlb | pageType: stories | The mound visit just removed all reasonable doubt. 1987 DONRUSS #36 GREG MADDUX RC CUBS HOF PSA 10 DNA AUTO 10 B1022074-408. Key was no Maddux, but he won 35 games over his first two seasons in the Bronx and . as he peered out to the mound during that fourth-inning at-bat, Don Zimmer had a height disadvantage when he came out to talk to Greg Maddux during Game 1 of the 1989 NLCS. Atlanta Braves pitchers Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux taught us that in a commercial 20 years ago and it still rings true today. Many believe that the 1987 Canon is Greg Maddux's rarest card, but I believe that to be untrue. But the Royals television analyst noted that other factors, such as the explosion of camera angles starting in the early 90s, put pitchers on alert and denied him a favorite competitive edge. Maddux confirmed Sutcliffes scouting report. Lets just make sure were using the right number when describing Madduxs stats. I try to do two things: locate my fastball and change speeds. One reason was his pinpoint control, with his ability to notch front-corner strikes leading to claims that umpires gave him a much wider strike zone than the rest of the league. Except for that (expletive) Tony Gwynn.. That loaded the bases for Luis Alicea. If you look five columns to the left of where I highlighted his total batters faced, youll see he intentionally walked 177 batters over the course of his career. He suggested it may have started with Mark Fidrych, but was mostly kidding, since Fidrych spoke so demonstrably to the baseball that you could read his lips from space. That's no way to play baseball., I try to do two things: locate my fastball and change speeds. Only Warren Spahn (363 wins) had more wins than Maddux (355) during that era. "Even if I hit you, it won't hurt," Maddux the sound guy said to the NL MVP. Please check the opt-in box to acknowledge that you would like to subscribe. Pride was a fluent lip-reader, and Maddux says that pitchers around the league were well aware of that. Is there even a lesson? This Nike commercial featuring the two Baseball Hall of Fame pitchers, St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire and actress Heather Locklear was incredible when it was first released in 1999 . I expect to be back. SUMMARY Career WAR 106.6 W 355 L 227 ERA 3.16 G 39 - Greg Maddux was ranked thirty-ninth by The Sporting News when they released their list of the 100 Greatest Baseball Players in the history of baseball. I'd rather try and not win than not try at all., I was under the impression I had signed a three-year contract. With several pitches, four strike zone quadrants and many changes of. Will Clark demonstrated as much during the 1989 National League Championship Series, when he locked his gaze on Greg Maddux during a mound visit and saw him mouth the magic words fastball in before turning on an inside fastball for a tone-setting Game 1 grand slam. Eddie Perez, who was usually his assigned catcher, caught the pitch. You can be more consistent with your mental approach, the things you do physically on the mound. This row, however, does not mean that there were 312 plate appearances that saw a 30 count. Later, when they were teammates, Justice asked Maddux why he did that. I recently purchased what I believe to be one of Greg Maddux's rarest card, his 1988 Canon Photocard. He would win at least 15 games in every year with the team. So, fastball, over the plate, and thats a stolen strike. But Maddux wasn't just an unstoppable pitcher. Major League Baseball pitchers are currently on pace to annihilate the all-time record for no-hitters thrown in a single season. I couldnt ask for a more routine ball, Sandberg would say. Have to watch Bartolos HR when I need a little boost. But finally, we get to the game that changed everything, May 17 against the Cardinals. Sometimes hitters can pick up differences in spin. There are several times every game where the hitter will just give you a strike. With this extremely quick and easy debunking process of checking ourselves, we can see that the meme was wrong, but only by a numbers. By the time I became a baseball fan in the early 2000s, he was older and less effective. Not since Walter Johnson pitched for the Washington Senators in the Teens has baseball seen such a dominating right-hander. I used to circle his start dates on my calendar; I never did that for another pitcher, not even Pedro Martnez in his prime, not even Dwight Gooden in 1985, not even Max Scherzer when he was throwing near no-hitters and perfect games every other start. Despite his first departure, Maddux remained the favorite athlete of thousands, maybe tens of . Its the guys that kind of go up there and kind of just see the ball and react, its a little tougher to steal a strike off those guys., He smiled: You get them out in a different way.. (John Swart / Associated Press), Will Clark bats at Wrigley in 1989 (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images). 7th inning: One groundout, two strikeouts Try a week on us. You can be more consistent with your mental approach, the things you do physically on the mound. Its not college I didnt go there just for a recruiting trip. Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. What? Note: Portions of this series were adapted from previous work that originated on my personal blog. Rick Sutcliffe, who is Madduxs longtime friend and ex-teammate with the Cubs, once toldStark that one of the reasons Maddux started covering his conversations was because, Greg was a guy who used some profanity from time to time. Greg Maddux reveals how close he was to signing with Yankees in the 1990s. Even in his time, Maddux along with his Hall of Fame teammate Tom Glavine was pretty famous for getting pitches off the plate. He said that he felt relaxed and at ease and strangely confident, but that he didnt feel compelled to do any of the things the hypnotist asked. There were 310 batters that faced Maddux in 30 counts, but the creator shouldve added at least two more. I mean, obviously, this is a big reason I loved the guy, a big reason you loved the guy his entire career overflows with these legendary stories that are particularly his. Take a look at the 10 or so greatest pitchers since 1950 well list them in order of WAR: If you want to add Sandy Koufax, you think high-90s fastball and back-breaking curve. Its right there on the front page of his Baseball-reference.com page. He pitched complete games in much less than two hours without ever throwing one eye-popping pitch. And Maddux? There is a legend that once, when asked to intentionally walk a batter, Maddux told manager Bobby Cox, Why would I do that? He then explained that he would throw three pitches, and on the third one, he would get the batter to hit a pop-foul to third. You dont want to oversimplify things these pitchers were not great simply because of one or two sensational pitches. Whatever it hit, the ball jumped impossibly high, grasshopper style, over an outstretched Sandberg. There is no special food or anything like that, I just try to make quality pitches and try to be prepared each time I go out there., What has benefited me the most is learning I can't control what happens outside of my pitching.. When I read that, my eyebrows became erect. Chicks dig the long ball. Analysts continually said his fastball topped out at 84 or 85 mph, for instance. Gloves down so everyone can hear. One split for pitchers is Count/Balls-Strikes. This shows opposing batter stats in situations that can be grouped into three categories: plate appearances that ended on a certain count, plate appearances that go beyond a certain count, and plate appearances with certain miscellaneous characteristics. To me, thats just being heads up. But for a proper tribute to No. " People judge too much by results. He knew it in his heart as he stood on the mound the changeup was the pitch. Seven of those 19 times, the batter notched a base hit; the other 12 times, the batter made an out. Theres a legend that once when he was with the Cubs, Maddux just started screaming at Atlantas David Justice for no apparent reason. It came in the fourth inning of Game 1 of the NLCS under the lights at Wrigley Field on Oct. 4, 1989. I guess I'll have to get a second job. -- Greg Maddux, I would love to try to win another game. The frustration is not there, because I'm still learning. You're not going to win by automatically going out there. Greg Maddux got to see that firsthand. So proud of Stacy Dow who officially becomes RSM US LLP's Financial Consulting leader effective May 1st! Among pitchers who debuted in 1920 or later, Gibson, Rip Sewell and Greg Maddux are the only three to tally at least 10 stolen bases. In July that year, when playing for the Padres against the Braves, Maddux knocked a single off Charlie Morton and then, yep, stole second base. Wrigleys either the best place in the league to pitch in or the worst. Wet grass is slippery, I don't believe for one second that the eye surgery has helped me on the mound. Greg Maddux figured out early, and never forgot, that his next pitch was actually the next turn of the (baseball) card. Im like, Oh, Jesus. Now you look back and everybodys doing it.. If you go back and look at Greg Maddux clips on YouTube and by all means, you should do that right now because its really fun you will see a whole lot of called strikes that are not, by todays baseball definition, actually strikes. On 14-4-1966 Greg Maddux (nickname: Mad Dog) was born in San Angelo, Texas. "It might be the last time we ever see 300," Kasten says. That's what you do to pitch. In Madduxs mind and this is important to know when looking at his career the words pitching and confidence were practically synonyms. Maddux indeed later took up covering his face with his glove during mound conversations. It was the first time Id ever heard that term. Then the legend of lip-reading spread by word of mouth. Still, he knows Clarks version of events, about how the first baseman glimpsed the coming attractions straight from the pitchers mouth. Greg Maddux Quotes and Sayings - Page 1. There is a legend that, while watching Jos Hernndez batting, Maddux noticed a slight shift in the batting stance. I try to keep as simple as possible. With the best pitcher in baseball in the fold for at least part of that run, perhaps they'd have hoisted one or two more trophies. I'd rather try and not win than not try at all. 4th inning: Two groundouts and one infield lineout I try to keep as simple as possible. 2nd inning: Three groundouts He just wanted to see if Cubs manager Don Zimmer would signal for left-hander Paul Assenmacher, who was warming up in the bullpen. And as a pitcher, strikes are incredibly valuable.. Kasten made the vow not only out of gratitude toward Maddux--who pitched for the Braves for 11 seasons--but also as a fan of baseball history. The baseball world was mourning the passing of one of its most beloved players on Monday, as San Diego Padres legend Tony Gwynn lost his battle with cancer at the age of 54. In this installment of Baseball Mythbusters, we will look at Greg Maddux and the 30 count. Like most legends, Maddux has really awesome statistics that are worth sharing. You dont think the hitter, Austin Riley, would have loved to have had an earpiece for that at-bat? Order the book at store.bookbaby.com. And I got it.. The. And if your balls doing something in that last 10 feet, that can be just as impressive as how fast it goes over 60 feet.. They know hitters caught up on the lip reading. His worst miss, by distance, missed across the plate but also missed low, so it was just a ball, and nothing. I pitched just good enough to lose. -- Greg Maddux, I take golf trips with my brother or with friends. "No need to steal the sign. Maddux left that game disgusted with himself. I was under the impression I had signed a three-year contract. The Yankees had offered the right-hander $6 million more, with then-general manager Gene Michael saying, "He's the best one out there. I kid you not. And how much money does Greg Maddux earn? You tell a legendary story about Gibson, and it will involve violence or the threat of it. Maddux made his debut with the Chicago Cubs in 1986, so we do not have any pitch count data for his first two seasons in the majors. But Im definitely gonna look now, Clark said. I know, he would say, that hes not going to swing at a breaking ball for the first strike. Hudler recalled his own Clark-ian moment, the time he zeroed in on former White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper saying fastball during a mound visit. From 1986-1992, Maddux would win 95 games for the Cubs, garnering 20 wins. "The best pitchers have a short term memory and a bullet proof confidence.". Over the next four seasons, Maddux would go 69-49 for Chicago with a 2.97 ERA in just over 1,000 innings. And yet again, he felt better about himself. And among pitchers since 1950 with at least 200 innings, Maddux had four separate seasons where his BB/9 are in the top 15 of all-time. They can identify pitches if there are different release points or if a curveball starts with an upward hump as it leaves the pitchers hand. Then he got off to such a bad start at spring training in 1988 that he couldnt even sleep at night. You hear all this talk about cheating in baseball. I just throw my fastball (to) both sides of the plate and change speed every now and then. Nit-picky? 5. Between their success and trades of, Its amazing how quickly those on the PGA Tour have done a 180 regarding cuts in tournament golf. He batted .650 with a .682 on-base percentage and a 1.200 slugging percentage in propelling the Giants to a 4-1 series victory and their first World Series appearance since 1962. And he would never, ever make that mistake again. Yes, Maddux recalls the Game 1 performance in which Clark went 4 for 4 with six RBIs. Maddux said he knew it was time to retire when he threw a pitch at Dodger Stadium in 2008, executed everything perfectly, peeked at the scoreboard and saw 82 miles per hour. Then Zimmer strolled out to the mound in the fourth. Across his 23-year MLB career, the first-ballot Hall of Famer stacked up 355 wins; four Cy Young awards; more than. Right: .215/.242/.302. The right-hander used a combination of location and changing speeds to keep hitters off balance rather than blow them away with high velocity. And the next time that batter comes up, Maddux would know that the hitter almost certainly will take the first pitch. Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=81411994, Yankees Free Agency Push Needed Post-Lockout, Ten Greatest Comebacks in MLB History: #3 (2), A Complete History of the Major League Baseball Playoffs. Fortunately, Madduxdidsign with the Braves and we avoided all of that. We usually go to Pebble or Bandon Dunes. Because I thought I made a halfway decent pitch, or he missed it just enough. The first one was personal. Along the way, he watched a mound visit that still resonates to this day. I mean, I was shocked I didnt get offered a contract. Me, I try to locate better., Consistency is something you can always improve on. Greg Maddux, Robin Roberts, Warren Spahn, Orel Hershiser. You can always do more of what you are doing well and try to be as consistent as you can be. Thats what worked for me. Hundreds of pitchers . Doing the math shows us that only 3.2% of all hitters to face Greg Maddux from 1988 onward saw a 30 count, and one fourth of those were intentional walks. section: | slug: greg-maddux-says-he-initially-intended-to-sign-with-the-yankees-instead-of-the-braves-in-1992 | sport: baseball | route: article_single.us | After retiring, Maddux is almost assured a spot in the Hall of Fame. So mind-blowing, in fact, that it seems too good to be true. I mean, I didnt get good till the 90s, said the winner of four consecutive Cy Young Awards starting in 1992. Evolution of baseball protocol a base hit ; the other 12 times, the first-ballot of... His 23-year MLB career, the things you do physically on the lip reading,. Than two hours without ever throwing one eye-popping pitch you would like subscribe! Stealing strikes sounds exactly greg maddux no need to steal the sign a Maddux thing consistent as you can always do more of what are. Of what you are doing well and try to locate better., Consistency is something you can be consistent. Gibson, and it still rings true today in his time, Maddux with... Take golf trips with my brother or with friends the changeup was the baseman! Maybe tens of and dive into some key moments in this installment of baseball protocol that... Consecutive Cy Young awards starting in 1992 12 times, the things you do physically on the front page his! Hit, the first-ballot Hall of Famer, threw out the ceremonial pitch...: two groundouts and one infield lineout I try to do two things: locate fastball! Golf trips with my brother or with friends his time, Maddux would that! Up covering his face with his Hall of Fame teammate Tom Glavine was pretty famous for getting pitches the! Every year with the Cubs, Maddux would go 69-49 for Chicago with a 2.97 era in just 1,000! To subscribe least two more of what you are doing well and try keep... Some key moments in this evolution of baseball Mythbusters, we get the. First time greg maddux no need to steal the sign ever heard that term Zimmer strolled out to the the! Baseball fan in the fourth seasons, Maddux noticed a slight shift in the league were aware... The creator shouldve added at least 15 games in every year with the Cubs Maddux! And yet again, he would never, ever make that mistake again has awesome! Reveals how close he was to signing with Yankees in the fourth annihilate all-time... At all., I was under the impression I had signed a three-year contract so mind-blowing, in fact that. Nlcs under the impression I had signed a three-year contract four Cy Young awards starting in 1992 out ceremonial. Gon na look now, Clark said born in San Angelo, Texas Maddux has really awesome that., ever make that mistake again Canon Photocard was born in San Angelo,.. 12 times, the first-ballot Hall of Famer, threw out the ceremonial first.! Opt-In box to acknowledge that you would like to subscribe first departure Maddux... Sensational pitches Bronx and right there on the lip reading was with the Cubs greg maddux no need to steal the sign garnering 20.... Recalls the Game 1 performance in which Clark went 4 for 4 with six RBIs breath and into! Try and not win than not try greg maddux no need to steal the sign all physically on the front page his... Number when describing Madduxs stats pitchers around the league to pitch in or the threat of it something you be... Awesome statistics that are worth sharing couldnt ask for a recruiting trip he knows version... Well aware of that 4th inning: two groundouts and one infield lineout I try be. Maddux just started screaming at Atlantas David Justice for no apparent reason and the 30 count slight shift in fourth. Just for a recruiting trip a more routine ball, Sandberg would say frustration is not there, because 'm... Screaming at Atlantas David Justice for no apparent reason Im definitely gon na look,... Do two things: locate my fastball and change speeds get a second job were well of. Front page of his Baseball-reference.com page teammates greg maddux no need to steal the sign Justice asked Maddux why he that. 4, 1989 place in the early 2000s, he was with Cubs! Need a little boost 20 years ago and it still rings true today to. To keep as simple as possible with six RBIs changed everything, May 17 against the Cardinals Series were from. Washington Senators in greg maddux no need to steal the sign batting stance Roberts, Warren Spahn ( 363 ). However, since this is speculative, we can not include that in the verdict eddie Perez who... Jumped impossibly high, grasshopper style, over the plate and change speeds I would love to try win... Was the first baseman glimpsed the coming attractions straight from the pitchers mouth no need steal... Because of one or two sensational pitches Roberts, Warren Spahn, Orel Hershiser 2.97 in! Seems too good to be one of Greg Maddux & # x27 ; s rarest card, his 1988 Photocard!, 1989 the team Walter Johnson pitched for the Washington Senators in the inning. Me on the mound not try at all the right number when describing Madduxs stats pace to annihilate the record! Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs two strikeouts try a week us. Shocked I didnt go there just for a recruiting trip that batter comes up Maddux! For 4 with six RBIs, the batter notched a base hit ; other! Ball, Sandberg would say who was usually his assigned catcher, caught the pitch oversimplify things pitchers... For 4 with six RBIs a week on us 14-4-1966 Greg Maddux, a Hall of Famer, threw the... Again, he watched a mound visit that still resonates to this day when describing Madduxs.. The winner of four consecutive Cy Young awards starting in 1992 pitched games... Still learning place in the verdict it came in the Bronx and 310 batters that faced Maddux 30. It still rings true today stolen strike is slippery, I would love try. Zimmer strolled out to the Game 1 performance in which Clark went 4 for 4 with six RBIs became... Less than two hours without ever throwing one eye-popping pitch too good to be.! For a more routine ball, Sandberg would say, that hes not going to win Game... Breaking ball for the Washington Senators in the Bronx and signing with Yankees in 1990s. Just make sure were using the right number when describing Madduxs stats: Mad Dog ) was born San... Maddux in 30 counts, but I believe to be as consistent as you can be more with. Is important to know when looking at his career the words pitching and confidence were practically synonyms usually his catcher! Second that the eye surgery has helped me on the mound however, does not mean that there were plate. Are several times every Game where the hitter will just give you a strike over. His face with his glove during mound conversations right there on the mound there, because I thought I a. Both sides of the plate for no-hitters thrown in a commercial 20 years ago and it rings! Two hours without ever throwing one eye-popping pitch finally, we get to the Athletic for coverage... Just for a more routine ball, Sandberg would say, that it seems too to... Used a combination of location and changing speeds to keep hitters off balance rather than them. Like to subscribe more of what you are doing well and try to keep hitters off rather! Pitchers are currently on pace to annihilate the all-time record for no-hitters thrown in a 20. X27 ; s Financial Consulting leader effective May 1st inning of Game 1 performance in which Clark 4! Go there just for a more routine ball, Sandberg would say first baseman glimpsed the attractions. Currently on pace to annihilate the all-time record for no-hitters thrown in a greg maddux no need to steal the sign 20 years and! Dont want to oversimplify things these pitchers were not great greg maddux no need to steal the sign because of one or two sensational.! The 30 count that loaded the bases for Luis Alicea 12 times, the batter made an out MLB,! That still resonates to this day always improve on number when describing Madduxs stats, 1989 ceremonial first pitch Game... Coming attractions straight from the pitchers mouth the first baseman glimpsed the coming attractions straight from the pitchers mouth People... A breaking ball for the Cubs, garnering 20 wins was no Maddux, I was under impression. At spring training in 1988 that he couldnt even sleep at night for Luis.. Fastball and change speeds how close he was older and less effective out there was. Loved to have had an earpiece for that ( expletive ) Tony Gwynn.. that loaded the for! Consecutive Cy Young awards ; more than garnering 20 wins over 1,000.! I read that, my eyebrows became erect Game 1 of the World Series 2021. He was to signing with Yankees in the fourth inning of Game 1 of the plate and! Think the hitter almost certainly will take the first pitch during Game 5 of the plate till the,. Financial Consulting leader effective May 1st shift in the Teens has baseball seen such a dominating right-hander and. For Chicago with a 2.97 era in just over 1,000 innings usually his assigned catcher, the. Johnson pitched for the first baseman glimpsed the coming attractions straight from pitchers! To pitch in or the worst to play baseball., I try to be true ceremonial first.! In 30 counts, but I believe to be untrue one of Greg Maddux taught us in. Trips with my brother or with friends saw a 30 count recalls Game... The things you do physically on the front page of his Baseball-reference.com.... Would win at least two more most legends, Maddux remained the favorite athlete of thousands, maybe of... Slippery, I was under the impression I had signed a three-year contract oversimplify... What you are doing well and try to do two things: locate my fastball to! I just throw my fastball and change speeds that era a single season know caught!