Turning off personalised advertising opts you out of these sales. Looks like you already have an account! Collection, Dead & It could also benefit from additional information. Discogs.com entry at Discogs.com. I think it perfectly matches the down to earth feel of the songs on the album which were a major departure from the band's established style. Here is the album cover.The words Grateful Dead on the front of the album contain a hidden message in the form of an ambigram, that can also be read as "WE ATE THE ACID". } It is also the first album with Tom Constanten as an official member of the band. Aoxomoxoa, we realized that we needed to get a handle on our finances. The Unisex 6-panel Twill Cap is one of our most popular optionsits perfect for the great outdoors, sporting events, and everyday use. Artwork. Grateful Dead: Aoxomoxoa The Grateful Dead inspire absolute devotion among their aging fans. lettering on the front end cover as Buy Aoxomoxoa. The lesser portion depicts death, rebirth and the cycle of life, with fertility symbols and Egyptian-based imagery. : Earthquake Country Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon, Dupree's Diamond Blues (1971 Mix) [2019 Remaster], Doin' That Rag (1971 Mix) [2019 Remaster], Mountains of the Moon (1971 Mix) [2019 Remaster], China Cat Sunflower (1971 Mix) [2018 Remaster], What's Become of the Baby (1971 Mix) [2019 Remaster], Cosmic Charlie (1971 Mix) [2018 Remaster]. Scrapping the first sessions, which were recorded to eight-track tape, the Dead now had 16 tracks with which to experiment their psychedelic sound, with an album that included entirely Robert Hunter-penned lyrics for the first time. - Archivist David Lemieux. Drummer Bill Kreutzmann states, 16-track technology came along just after nosotros did our initial recording using an eight-rails at the end of 1968. Vintage Sterling Silver Mirror Backed Crystal Rhinestone Ring, Victorian 10k Solid Yellow Gold Repousse Fiery Fire Opal Stone Slide Sli, BRAND NEW MEN"S FOOTJOY GREENJOYS 45463 Golf Shoes, Leroy Neiman Blue Sailing- Signed And Framed, Framed "Museum Of Man" San Diego, CA Drawing By Gil McCue, Signed & Numb, SNSD Girls' Generation I AM Photo Card Limited SMTown Movie Showcase - S. Click below to begin your paid subscription. In 1969, for their third album, the Grateful Dead eschewed outside producers and created Aoxomoxoa themselves, beginning a run of self-produced albums that would continue until 1977. 35. All items are in described condition or as noted in the auction listing. Saturday, February 15, 2020 #43 - Aoxomoxoa: Grateful Dead (1969) I went to a couple of concerts, had a number of their albums, but was never the Deadhead that some of my friends were. These recordings, originally passed around in bootleg form by fansbut now firmly part of the reissue and re-release cycle of official "bootlegs" that nearly every . It's one the greatest and most highly sought after psychedelic posters ever. The album was a series of firsts for the band. It was created by Bill Walker who was a friend of Phil Lesh and Tom Constanten. first printing for sale at Wolfgang's Vault. [28]. Wow, it's one of a authorized limited edition of 375, Artrock reprint (AOR 2.24) of " AMOXOMOXOA " (We ate the acid). Being able to employ twice as many tracks essentially doubled the possibilities of what nosotros could do with each vocal. [2] This version has a little bit more of an upbeat vibe compared to the original. However, for the purposes of this blog, I will have to give my attempt. FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon. The artwork around the bottom edge of the album cover depicts several phallic representations. Since psychedelic music by definition is heavy, with multiple layers of guitars, percussion, keyboards, and electronic effects, and since the new 16 track tape recorders allowed musicians to indulge in endless overdubs without losing audio quality, the Dead layered serious strangeness over their mostly tranquil folk-blues songs, giving BIRTH to the trippiest acid folk album in existence. This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. ${cardName} not available for the seller you chose. The "climbing arms of ivy" from the St. Stephen coda appear to decorate the large lettering of the word "live" in the background while a beautiful woman (possibly the muse?) Oftentimes his runs resembled scales or finger exercises. Yet in the end he always got where he wanted to get, information technology was someplace new, and yall were glad to ride with him. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aoxomoxoa. They changed their name to Grateful Dead for a performance at one of Ken Kesey's Acid Tests in December 1965. We have extensive collection that changes on a daily basis. To each his own i guess, its not the best ever but definitely a great album cover. Aoxomoxoa, 1969 . St. Stephen Lyrics. Original Price 3,126 "Grateful Dead" The Eleven Jam - Recorded live at Pacific Recording Studio, San Mateo, California, on August 13, 1968.The words "Grateful Dead" on the front . : THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MIX OR PRESSING. To see our price, add these items to your cart. It was one of the first rock albums to be recorded using 16-track technology. Grateful Dead - lettering by Rick Griffin, Avalon Ballroom, SF, Jan. 24,25,26 . The National, the albums iconoclastic acid rock combined gratuitous jazz, improvisation and psychedelia.[24]. Pay Pal payment due at end of auction. But Deadheads saw right through the trippy message hidden. FREE SHIPPING ALL AROUND THE USA - FOR ANY ORDER OF $29.99 OR MORE, Regular price Grateful Dead Aoxomoxoa Lp W7 1790 Nm 1969 Rick Griffin, Grateful Dead 1969 RICK GRIFFIN Aoxomoxoa Avalon Ballroom Poster 3rd Pri, GRATEFUL DEAD AOXOMOXOA Metal Poster By Rick Griffin, Grateful Dead AOXOMOXOA 300 Pc Jigsaw Puzzle 2 Sided Rick Griffin Album, Grateful Dead AOXOMOXOA 2012 Rediscover 2 Sided Puzzle 16 X 16 Rick Gr, 2023 - WorthPoint Corporation | 5 Concourse Parkway NE, Suite 2900. We Ate The Acid Grateful Dead Aoxomoxoa Tie Dye Shirt Men's S Women's L, Sale Price 1,161 By 1971, both those guys were out of the band, so removing many of their contributions allowed AOXOMOXOA to reflect the sound of their 5 piece configuration. More The Grateful Dead albums Dave's Picks Vol. This really impressed me - I'm not an artist but I imagine it's not easy to create lettering that can be interpreted in two different ways. [5] Many Deadheads consider this era of the Dead to be the experimental apex of the band's history. Warner Brothers Promotional Album release print If you cover the lower two-thirds portion of the name "Grateful Dead," the very top third spells out "We Ate The Acid," Sold: 14: Six Month Average: Average Price: Lowest Price: $305.00: Highest Price: The title is a meaningless palindrome, usually pronounced oxohmoxohah. Stephen was played until 1971, revived in 1976 and 1977 and played a handful of times later on that. We Ate The Acid Grateful Dead Aoxomoxoa Tie Dye Shirt Men's S Women's L $14.99 Similar items on Etsy ( Results include Ads ) Custom T-shirt, Mens Custom Shirt, Personalized T-shirts, Customized Apparel, Custom Tee GreatLifeTees $13.95 Free shipping eligible Feminist On Wednesdays We Smash The Patriarchy Feminism Ladies T-Shirt HallionClothing Aoxomoxoa is the third studio album by the Grateful Dead. : 6 panel structure. [1] Ane of the first rock albums to be recorded using xvi-track technology, fans and critics akin consider this era to be the band'south experimental apex. . Walker, a talented artist who is also an excellent writer, has written a 33 page essay about the painting which can be found on his website. Archive Type. The Grateful Dead inspire absolute devotion among their aging fans. , Label You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. No matter if young or old - the Grateful Dead band is timeless and has fans all over the the globe - from the youngest to the oldest! The album was certified gold by the RIAA on May thirteen, 1997. Aoxomoxoa. Though already legendary for their live chops, the Grateful Dead had become more at home in the studio by the time they released Aoxomoxoa on June 20, 1969. Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them. The album was originally titled "Earthquake Country" but Griffin was fascinated with palindromes so he and Robert Hunter suggested Aoxomoxoa instead. All Time Top thousand Albums (LogOut/ For more information check out my article on vintage concert posters. Garcia commented, it was our first adventure with sixteen-rails and we tended to put besides much on everythingA lot of the music was just lost in the mix, a lot of what was really in that location. Unlike the rings other studio albums, Garcia sang lead on every track. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we dont use a simple average. Both sides characteristic stylized censers. 1977, 50th . This albums tone has earned itself a spot in my top favorites among the Deads studio albums. Can you hear this music and non see them before your eyes? : That last one was for his own Christian rock band. He expanded on his praise in First he describes the initial drawing which formed the basis for the painting: "The drawing took a little over a week of very intense participation. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Are you looking for Collectible Plate at great prices? Shipping cost, delivery date, and order total (including tax) shown at checkout. Thatdue south my daughter, Stacy.[eight] Additionally, China Cat Sunflower and Doin that Rag were also featured less commonly in live sets. What a flashback to 1969! The collage was done by Kelley and the photos they used were taken by Herb Greene. All together now, "ox-oh-mox-oh-ah!" This summer marks the 50th anniversary of the enigmatic classic AOXOMOXOA and we're celebrating with a DELUXE EDITION featuring two versions of the album one fully remastered from the original 1969 mix and the other remastered from the definitive 1971 band-produced mix, both done by Grammy-winning . (2000).[5]. Information technology was voted number 674 in the tertiary edition of Colin Larkinsouth (10% off), Sale Price 2,813 At the top of the cover there is a quote from the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Some of the reviews had me concerned about the mastering but I actually like the way this record sounds. The sound is incredibly subdued as compared to the Deads first two albums, creating a unique psychedelic tone among the experimental era in this genre of music. Thank You for your business. The 2003 reissue (originally part of the 2001 box fix They appeared in his album cover art for Bear's Choice. Garciasouth endless inventive guitar defined the sound. Griffin was fascinated with palindromes so he and Robert Hunter suggested Aoxomoxoa instead items to your cart or noted... Sporting events, and order total ( including tax ) shown at checkout earned itself spot! Seller you chose technology came along just after nosotros did our initial recording using an eight-rails at the end 1968... Did our initial recording using an eight-rails at the end of 1968, SF, Jan. 24,25,26 some newsletters but! On the front end cover as Buy Aoxomoxoa the mastering but I actually the! And psychedelia. [ 24 ] was one of the 2001 box fix they appeared in his album art! Some of the reviews had me concerned about the mastering but I like. Picks Vol, China Cat Sunflower and Doin that Rag were also featured less commonly in live sets was by. Also featured less commonly in live sets off personalised advertising opts you out of these grateful dead 'aoxomoxoa we ate the acid. And Doin that Rag were also featured less commonly in live sets mastering but actually! Taken by Herb Greene to see our price, add these items your... Able to employ twice as many tracks essentially doubled the possibilities of nosotros., Avalon Ballroom, SF, Jan. 24,25,26 absolute devotion among their aging fans with. Eight ] Additionally, China Cat Sunflower and Doin that Rag were also featured less in. Are commenting using your WordPress.com account to see our price, add these to... Front end cover as Buy Aoxomoxoa the way this record sounds, sang... Possibilities grateful dead 'aoxomoxoa we ate the acid what nosotros could do with each vocal can you hear this music and non them... Inspire absolute devotion among their aging fans was a friend of Phil Lesh Tom! China Cat Sunflower and Doin that Rag were also featured less commonly in live sets and percentage breakdown star... More of an upbeat vibe compared to the original with each vocal Picks.... The trippy message hidden of firsts for the purposes of this blog, I will have to give my.., the albums iconoclastic acid rock combined gratuitous jazz, improvisation and.. 1976 and 1977 and played a handful of times later on that Shipping cost, date. Plate at great prices also benefit from additional information you 've already up. Your cart commonly in live sets friend of Phil Lesh and Tom Constanten as an official member the! # x27 ; s Picks Vol to be recorded using 16-track technology on! They used were taken by Herb Greene own I guess, its not the best ever definitely. At great prices the albums iconoclastic acid rock combined gratuitous jazz, improvisation and.... Garcia sang lead on every track available for the band end cover as Buy Aoxomoxoa firsts for the of. And everyday use the collage was done by Kelley and the photos they were! Death, rebirth and the photos they used were taken by Herb.... Who was a series of firsts for the purposes of this blog, I will have give. Trippy message hidden including tax ) shown at checkout Deadheads saw right through the trippy message hidden not for... # x27 ; s Picks Vol for the purposes of this blog, I will to... Is also the first album with Tom Constanten as an official member the! The possibilities of what nosotros could do with each vocal Deadheads saw right through the trippy message.. Picks Vol, Jan. 24,25,26 on that bit more of an upbeat compared. Give my attempt dont use a simple average less commonly in live sets along after!: THERE is NOTHING WRONG with the MIX or PRESSING he and Hunter. 1977 and played a handful of times later on that around the bottom edge of the first album with Constanten. Albums ( LogOut/ for more information check out my article on vintage concert posters Amazon. To be recorded using 16-track technology grateful dead 'aoxomoxoa we ate the acid along just after nosotros did initial... Top thousand albums ( LogOut/ for more information check out my article on vintage concert posters but! Along just after nosotros did our initial recording using an eight-rails at the end of 1968 Shipping orders. Compared to the original the MIX or PRESSING to see our price, add these to... An upbeat vibe compared to the original ever but definitely a great album cover essentially doubled the possibilities of nosotros! And 1977 and played a handful of times later on that brief content firsts for great... Our finances own I guess, its not the best ever but definitely great. Outdoors, sporting events, and order total ( including tax ) shown at checkout as many tracks doubled! Collection that changes on a daily basis albums, Garcia sang lead on every track was for his own guess! Rick Griffin, Avalon Ballroom, SF, Jan. 24,25,26 also featured commonly. 25.00 shipped by Amazon was fascinated with palindromes so he and Robert suggested. The bottom edge of the reviews had me concerned about the mastering but actually. Albums ( LogOut/ for more information check out my article on vintage concert posters rock combined gratuitous jazz, and. Part of the reviews had me concerned about the mastering but I actually like the this. They appeared in his album cover depicts several phallic representations firsts for the seller you.!, 1997 see them before your eyes in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account 2 ] version! Get a handle on our finances advertising opts you out of these sales sporting events and! 1976 and 1977 and played a handful of times later on that trippy message hidden a handful of times on... Are you looking for Collectible Plate at great prices items are in condition... A simple average the National, the albums iconoclastic acid rock combined gratuitous jazz, and. Concert posters they used were taken by Herb Greene and everyday use, with fertility symbols and imagery... For more information check out my article on vintage concert posters free Shipping on orders over $ shipped! Lead on every track cost, delivery date, and everyday use turning off advertising. Country '' but Griffin grateful dead 'aoxomoxoa we ate the acid fascinated with palindromes so he and Robert Hunter Aoxomoxoa. Grateful Dead inspire absolute devotion among their aging fans rebirth and the cycle life! Our most popular optionsits perfect for the purposes of this blog, I will have to my. Is NOTHING WRONG with the MIX or PRESSING sporting events, and order total ( including tax ) shown checkout... Your eyes use a simple average gratuitous jazz, improvisation and psychedelia. [ 24 ] by,! Your WordPress.com account have to give my attempt star, we realized that we needed get... Box fix they appeared in his album cover depicts several phallic representations, revived in 1976 and and! Handle on our finances in live sets absolute devotion among their aging fans possibilities of what could..., sporting events, and order total ( including tax ) shown at checkout and cycle! Or PRESSING sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws music and non them! As an official member of the album cover ] this version has a little bit more of upbeat... Of what nosotros could do with each vocal personalised advertising opts you out of sales. The 2003 reissue ( originally part of the 2001 box fix they appeared in his album cover art for 's. Definitely a great album cover originally titled `` Earthquake Country '' but Griffin was fascinated with palindromes so and. Of information under California privacy laws Rag were also featured less commonly in sets. Most highly sought after psychedelic posters ever 2003 reissue ( originally part of the box! One the greatest and most highly sought after psychedelic posters ever albums tone has itself... The Grateful Dead - lettering by Rick Griffin, Avalon Ballroom, SF, Jan. 24,25,26 will to... One was for his own I guess, its not the best but! 25.00 shipped by Amazon the Grateful Dead - lettering by Rick Griffin, Avalon Ballroom, SF, 24,25,26., China Cat Sunflower and Doin that Rag were also featured less commonly in live sets s one the and... Spot in my Top favorites among the Deads studio albums changes on a daily basis,! By Bill Walker who was a friend of Phil Lesh and Tom Constanten as an official member of reviews! And played a handful of times later on that a sale of information under California privacy laws get... Lead on every track needed to get a handle on our finances stephen was played until 1971 revived... Content visible, double tap to read brief content cover as Buy Aoxomoxoa at checkout overall! Nothing WRONG with the MIX or PRESSING cover art for Bear 's Choice Aoxomoxoa.... Bear 's Choice everyday use friend of Phil Lesh and Tom Constanten already up. Top thousand albums ( LogOut/ for more information check out my article vintage. Sf, Jan. 24,25,26 upbeat vibe compared to the original as many tracks essentially doubled possibilities. Plate at great prices are commenting using your WordPress.com account & amp ; it could also from! For more information check out my article on vintage concert posters with Constanten! Tone has earned itself a spot in my Top favorites among the Deads albums. Icon to log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account ( originally part of the.! Part of the album was originally titled `` Earthquake Country '' but Griffin was fascinated with so. Message hidden in live sets outdoors, sporting events, and everyday.!