The next one minute, 45.73 seconds would change Franz Klammers life forever. At the finish line, Franz Klammer started by looking at the huge crowd. Four years later, they met for dinner and a private ski lesson. Klammer came into the 1976 Olympics with three straight World Cup downhill wins and back-to-back Hahnenkamm titles. In 1984, Klammer won the downhill at Kitzbhel (Hahnenkammrennen) a record fourth time, after three consecutive wins 1975-1977. He was from Carinthia, the right age, almost the right build, he won a couple of ski races when he was a boy. Olympic triumph. He would win 31 downhills in World Cup competition. A fan of the Klagenfurt ice hockey team KAC, Klammer liked the film. Amazingly, the victory comes eight years after his Olympic Games victory in Innsbruck. The Italian skier, closely followed by a crew from a U.S. network, was proudly wearing his two Olympic gold medals around his neck. He was adorable, said Witt of her time with La Bomba. Ive never seen so much pressure put on one man my entire life, opined ABCs Bob Beattie. It cuts to the heart of what motivates skiers to slide down mountains and to experience the peace and tranquility of the outdoors. He was 84. But it lacked an antagonist someone to create tension. Their finish line embrace at Patscherkofel in 1976 was heartfelt and forged a bond between the two rivals each Olympic downhill champions. They were excited and I knew I won it. NEW YORK - Pro Football Hall of Famer Frank Gifford has died. Curling. At the end of the race he was going so fast that you could see a difference from the previous skiers. Above: Maier on the GS course in Nagano. February 18 And still, he does everything right! The two became friends. The Klammer story, yah, it was epic, said Schmied, a Styrian-born writer and director who, like most Austrians, was on skis before he was two. But they were not attractive. Chasing the Line. They shared an embrace, some laughs and watched a film that showcased the sport that formed the DNA of their lives on snow. More Memorable Moments. I knew I will do it, he explains, I was full of confidence, I knew I can pull it off, and at any time, I learned how to win a race: concentrate, just on your race, you and the mountain and not thinking about anybody else. The feats of this exceptional downhill skier include this total domination of the 1974-1975 season, with eight victories in the nine races of the programme, a run, straddling the two following seasons, of 10 consecutive wins and another record: five small discipline crystal globes, won consecutively from 1975 to 1978, then in 1983. This article first appeared in the January/February 2014 issue of Skiing History magazine. In 1975 he had dominated the event in a fashion never seen before by winning 8 out of the nine downhill races of the season. While the 1976 downhill gold medal is his calling card, the long term athletic success he achieved has rarely been rivaled, even a half-century later. I spoke about it with ABC studio producer Draggan Mihailovich, a Tomba fan, who organized the journey. 2 Years of Sipping Sports A Sip of Sports. ! This success means a lot to me after all those years, she told reporters at the post-race press conference that I was running in the modest base lodge of the resort. That December, he kicked off the 1973-74 World Championship year with the first of his 25 World Cup downhill wins claiming a victory in Schladming. 5 February 1976, Innsbruck - Franz Klammer writes the greatest page of his story He remains the king of the downhill, the most successful skier of anyone in his discipline in the World Cup. [citation needed] In the Olympic test event at Patscherkofel at Innsbruck in January 1975, Klammer had defeated defending Olympic champion Bernhard Russi of Switzerland, the runner-up, by nearly a half-second.[2]. I am not a skiing fan. Franz Klammer, a former champion alpine ski racer, has a net worth of $45 million. He won the gold medal in the downhill event at the 1976 Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. Game 6 of the 1975 World Series Reds v. Red Sox 4. Klammer first showed signs of promise in the second half of the 1973 World Cup season, finishing second in the St. Anton downhill behind Bernhard Russi of Switzerland, the reigning Olympic and World Cup downhill champion. I mean, I had to come off some of the rollers, the knolls, on the tails, flying up in the air, arms out you know, just out of control, going through the pine boughs, cutting back straight to a gate, towards a fence and then redirect that. He won his first aged only 19 in 1973 and including four victories in the Hahnenkamm at Kitzbuhel. Each competitor who followed failed to best his time, until there was only one skier left who was capable of beating him: Franz Klammer. Franz Klammer 1976 Innsbruck - The Greatest Downhill Run of All Time - FULL UNEDITED!! 14/11/2009 LICENCE: Creative Commons. Your email address will not be published. Yet this time, she was the hunter: Nadig had dominated the previous downhill races, winning six out of seven, as well as a giant slalom. She was one of the first people who came in and she just blew me away, said Schmied. He was the gold medalist at the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, winning the downhill at Patscherkofel by a margin of 0.33 seconds with a time of 1:45.73. His younger brother, Klaus, was paralyzed from the waist down due to a downhill ski accident when the boy was 16. Forty years ago the legendary Austrian took the breath away in the Hahnenkamm downhill before later taking Olympic gold. Rahlves wasnt even three years old when Klammer won gold. His fourth victory in Kitzbhel in January 1984 at the age of 30 was a record at that time, which would later be beaten by the Swiss competitor Didier Cuche, yet Klammer remains the only skier to have won four times across the whole Streif course. As we approached her, Mueller, who recognized Tomba and might have read about his wish to meet her protg, pushed Katarina into another room, so she wouldnt be distracted by the handsome Italian playboy. In skiing, its the Swiss Alps and the Austrian Alps that define the sport. It includes the original US broadcast commentary from ABC. Chasing the Line is a film about Klammer, it is also a portrayal of skiing, as a sport. It was a really fun course with all the elements of a good downhill, said Rahlves. Memorable Moments. Fischer, who passed in 2020 at the age of 90, had been known as a hard-driving, innovative ski industry leader. After clinching her sixth crystal globe for the overall World Cup title in 1979, Annemarie was aiming for the elusive Olympic gold medal in 1980 that she had missed eight years before. L E's Stories - The Lovesick Blues Boy Was Really The Hillbilly Shakespeare - Tribute To The Life and Talents of Hank Williams; L E's Stories . Four years later, they met for dinner and a private ski lesson. This one turn, in the lower part, it changed my entire life, said Klammer. Ill never forget how we all erupted when he crossed the finish line. For ONLY $12 youll receive six issues of, 3. I was kicking in her belly because my mother was so excited the whole time.. Here it is !! So I really wanted to give the audience a real feel for the people in the story.. Four Hahnenkamm downhill titles (only Didier Cuche has more, with five). But she still appeared confident heading into the Games. Instead, it focuses on the microcosm of his relationship with Eva as they are spirited away from the finish in an ambulance before she drives him from Tyrol back to Carinthia the next day. No. Nicknamed "Gold-Rosi" in her native Germany, her gold medal in the Downhill at the 1976 Olympics was the only international win in the event during her career. The film portrays little glory for Franz in the hours and day after the race. In a quick one-camera interview I made with him later on, he added, Ill be back!, During one of our early morning production meetings at the CBS office at Hakuba, I discussed Hermanns chance to excel in the Super G with play-by-play announcer Tim Ryan. During the evening, Witt expressed her desire to ski once with Alberto, who had just collected his third Olympic title in giant slalom at Val dIsre. He was adorable. I was so focused, I was so concentrated, just on the run and then half-way down, I was looking at the crowd, kind of now I'd better do something to win the race. We enjoyed watching Katarina claim her second Olympic title after a brilliant show. He would win 26 World Cup Downhills between 1973 and 1984. Klammer's 1:45.73 was more than thirty-two seconds faster. His home village did not have any ski lifts, so as a child he climbed up the pasture behind his house to ski downhill. Bernhard and I, we are really close friends and appreciate each others company. But Kresse, a notable figure in marketing, found it hard to bring his dream to closure. definitely," said the 1976 Olympic champion, whose name is still synonymous with the glamour and danger of Alpine ski . Chasing the Line screenplay does a masterful job in capturing the pressure he felt that week. He would win on skiings toughest downhill course, Kitzbuhel, an incredible four times. Four years later, she missed the 1976 Games at Innsbruck; she had retired from racing the previous year to get married and take care of her dad, who was seriously ill. After his death, she staged a successful comeback. He just went down the straight line which normally everybody said its just impossible, you cant stand this. He is out, he cant make it shouted triple Olympic champion Toni Sailer, alpine director of the Austrian team, after seeing Franz fly high into the air off the Ochsenschlag jump in the upper part of the run. Sunday, February 26 2023 Breaking News. I watch it every four years at the Olympics but Klammers run is on my Mount Rushmore of Most Exciting Events I have seen in nearly 50 years of watching sports. When I started, the course was basically ruined and I knew I had only a small chance to win, he said. A great career only becomes exceptional with the ultimate title an Olympic gold medal. The World Cup had only been formally established in 1967. Franz Klammer (right) with Bernhard Russi after the men's downhill in 1976. Franz Klammer, (born Dec. 3, 1953, Mooswald, Austria), Austrian Alpine skier who specialized in the downhill event, winning 25 World Cup downhill races in his career. 01:59. About that same time, Klammer had seen a film Schmied had directed about a Carinthian ice hockey player, Harrinator, that had been released that year. (Surely my fathers tape isnt the only known copy of this run in full?) The screams of thousands of spectators must have been heard for miles. The preceding ski season had been terrific, too, as big crowds closely followed Italys unpredictable phenomenon Alberto Tomba, who was dominating the World Cup that season with six victories and a second place standing in the technical events. The young Austrian Franz Klammer is considered undoubtedly the favourite for the 1976 Olympic downhill race in Innsbruck. His yellow racing suit wasnt as crisp and flashy as the other golden Austrian uniforms. ago I remember being a kid seeing this live and thinking how close to death he pushed himself. His technique over an icy slope, his jumping skills and his ability to find incredible race lines remain absolutely unique. The opportunity for Andreas Schmied, along with his wife Elisabeth, to write the screenplay for the Klammer story was both good fortune and a big challenge. Klammer, along with fellow Carinthia natives Fritz Strobl and Matthias Mayer, form a unique trio of Olympic downhill champions more than any other Austrian state, even the Tyrol. But I felt, you know, they were really pushing me., Passing the finish tape, the time showed 1:45.73. And he took a three-win streak, including his second straight Hahnenkamm win, into the Olympics. No problem, lets meet tomorrow afternoon, he said. I knew that Daron understood how Klammer was skiing, said Salmina. One of the most important things I got out of sport were friendships, said Klammer. He could sense it himself. He met fans who vividly re-lived their own experiences of Feb. 5, 1976. His fans adored his down-to-earth personality and his aggressive style. Franz was getting treated like a king coming into that race, said Rahlves. Enter 22-year old Franz Klammer. The Swiss rival, Phillippe Roux stood third at 1:46:69, Italys Herbert Plank second at 1:46:59, and the magnificent Swiss, Bernhard Russi first at 1:46:06. He was two-tenths of a second behind Russi. We were hardly breathing. Schmied, now a principal in Samsara Filmproduction, had previously produced five feature films in Austria. At the last Olympics in Nagano, after a five-day delay, Trinkl was the only Austrian to win a medal in the downhill. Berlin-based Picturetree International is managing global distribution. Thats what I liked.. The pressure on the young farm boy from Mooswald was immense. Suddenly there were 60,000 people in the stadium and the whole mountain began to shake. Klammer did not have classic ski technique, he came out of the gate fearlessly, right on the edge. It was a little intimidation factor for the others. Right: Schwarzenegger and Maier. Books with references and insights into Franz Klammer's career: "White Circus" by Ken Read/Matthew Fisher, "On the Edge" by Currie Chapman/Randy Starkman, This page was last edited on 20 October 2022, at 22:30. One of them had also briefly mentioned The Herminator, a combination of his first name and the invincible Terminator movie character, played by another Austrian legend, Arnold Schwarzenegger. In an interview before the Games, La Bomba told the press that his dad, Franco, might buy him a Ferrari if he clinched two gold medals in Canadaa mission he accomplished by winning the slalom and the GS. This was the 1976 Winter Olympic Games in Innsbruck - the men's downhill, the blue riband event - and the yellow flash was Franz Klammer, Austrian national hero and pre-race favourite. Klammer spoke for all skiers in one of the final scenes. ", In a 2015 interview with Graham Bell for the Daily Telegraph, Klammer attributed his success to being the first downhiller to carve a whole turn from start to finish, contrasting his style with skiers of the previous generation such as Karl Schranz and Jean-Claude Killy who would skid at the start of a turn before engaging in a carve. TRY A 1-YR INTRODUCTORY MEMBERSHIP IN ISHA! We met in Tunisia, in Africa, on the beach, recalled Klammer. Everyone got nervous after defending Olympic champion Bernhard Russi from Switzerland set the best time after a nearly flawless run. This is where most biopics fail. Every set of Austrian eyes were tuned in to ORF across the far corners of the land. He was the gold medalist at the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, winning the downhill at Patscherkofel by a margin of 0.33 seconds with a time of 1:45.73. Viewers will find a film filled with suspense and an endearing love story. The face the public has seen of Franz Klammer for 50 years has been one of a daring downhill ski racer. Klammer dominated the downhill event for four consecutive World Cup seasons (1975-78). Setting off in bib no. As expected, Russi put down a solid run to take the lead. But she was always a huge support from the beginning, sitting always in the background and just being there. The whole family was sitting in front of the TV. The story of a day like no other We would be right to consider him the greatest downhill skier of all time. And what are you doing? Im studying medicine. And that was all we talked about. I remember, after he won, we all went outside and played like we were Franz Klammer!. This time, Alberto could not attend her performance, but Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf was sitting next to me. I think that was one of my strengths just to improvise.. He was on the edge the entire trip down the hill, several times he looked like he was out of control and going to wreck. But, with Eva, it was immediate. Austrian great Franz Klammer says the winner of the men's downhill in . Gifford hosted "Wide World of Sports," covered several Olympics -- his call of Franz Klammer's gold-medal run in 1976 is considered a broadcasting masterpiece -- and announced a record 411 Monday . But the most important week in my life! Franz everyone knows him!, In his heart, Kresse believed in the story. Synopsis: Barely 22, Franz Klammer finds himself at the "eye of the storm" when he shows up for the men's downhill competition at the 1976 Winter Olympic Games. We had briefly seen Witt during our walk under the crowded stands, as she was exercising with her trainer, Jutta Mueller. The Austrian had become a hero in his country after having won a dozen downhill races in previous seasons. He would finish as the top downhill skier a record five times (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1983). For others, like Franz Klammer, its about climbing mountains for fun and sliding back down. Most of this was not known in 1976, when Franz Klammer had the weight of a nation on his shoulder as he embarked on his unforgettable journey down the slopes of Patscherkofel. He took over after the sudden death of his father in 1959. Rahlves used his own Atomic boots, touched up with paint to create an authentic 1976 look. [5], Klammer was a hero to Austrian ski racing fans and also to fans the world over for doing a great deal to promote the popularity of alpine ski racing. Bobsleigh. In the summer of 1975, in the lead-up to the Olympics, the Austrian team held a training camp in Tunisia where he coincidentally met a young girl from Vienna. Their story was truly one for the big screen. Schranz didnt want to leave Japan alone and he put pressure on the entire team to fly back home with him. He suffered disappointment at the Sarajevo Games in 1984 with 10th place, and competed for the last time in March 1985 at Aspen with a World Cup record of 26 wins, 45 podiums and 87 top 10 places. It was just the idea of making something about Franz Klammer., But Pochlatko also saw the challenge. I gave him the local phone number of Austrias media coordinator, who did receive a call from Idaho after Hermanns amazing comeback in Super G. Schwarzenegger was so impressed by Hermanns triumph and his funny nickname that he wanted to speak to him. On race day, she stayed laser-focused as she made her way down the course, despite strong gusts of wind that disturbed some of her main rivals, including Nadig. Im fully ready for Lake Placid; I have enough confidence for the big day, she told me in January after her win at Pfronten in western Bavaria. Yet the 18-year-old turned out to be the victim of the political storm that eliminated her teammate Karl Schranz, unfairly disqualified by the IOC at the beginning of the Games for having apparently earned endorsement money as a ski racer. As a sportscaster Mr. Beattie was renowned for his call, with Frank Gifford, of the Austrian Franz Klammer's gold medal-winning downhill race at the 1976 Winter Games in Innsbruck,. And, it needed a bit of a love story. But young Franz loved the snow, skiing to school in the winter and climbing up hills on his own to come racing back down. Safety had increased. After his victories, Alberto told me hed be pleased to watch East Germanys attractive superstar Katarina Witt competing at the ice arena in Calgary. Two years later, bothTomba and Witt competed again at Lillehammer. Franz Klammer - 1976 Olympic Gold Medal Run franzweberinc 113 subscribers 509K views 13 years ago The greatest downhill of ALL time! We would watch a lot of film and I had to put it in my head that I had to ski out of control and make these little mistakes everywhere., Before every ski scene, as Rahlves was examining the run in his mind, the director would scream at him, Daron, no, no, no, you got to ski Klammer style, Klammer style out of control.. It was a huge achievement, as there was so much pressure on him prior to that Olympic race. His final World Cup race was in March 1985 at Aspen, Colorado. A veteran journalist on the world alpine racing circuit recallsmoments of high dramaand humorfrom the Winter Games. And hes still a big hero today., Mayer echoed the pride of his Austrian state. Without this incident, he would have won the overall World Cup title in March 1975, due to a good slalom result two days before at Chamonix, which would have granted him at least a third place (15 points) for the AK-combined of slalom Chamonix / downhill Megve. Franz Klammer In 1976, How the legendary Austrian skier won one of the most exciting Olympic downhill races of all time. Hes quick to talk about stars of the sport like Alberto Tomba, Hermann Maier and Bode Miller. Yes. Alone together after the race, Eva looked into Franzs eyes and asked him: Did you always want to be famous? He responds simply: Story behind Franz Klammers historic 1976 downhill gold, Chris Sarandon could play iconic role in Book of Tobit film , Oscars 2022: Denmark aims for second consecutive win with festival favourite Flee | News, House Bill 232 Polling place prohibitions Idaho Freedom Idaho Freedom Foundation, Capitalist profiteering and competition why are shelves empty? As the lowest seed in 15th position, his task of bringing home . A Silver was not an option to the Austrians, especially to lose on their home field against their most important rival. Hes loved by everybody and he had an amazing career. Pepi Fischer was omnipresent, pushing hard to force Klammer to use his new ski. Above: Maier on the GS course in Nagano. Chasing the Line presented new challenges he hadnt faced in producing Streif, which took viewers inside the minds of downhillers who threw themselves fearlessly into the Mausefalle. As she was one of the final scenes I got out of sport were friendships, said.. Franzs eyes and asked him: did you always want to be famous the and... Whole family was sitting next to me he took a three-win streak including. Finish as the top downhill skier of all time a sport Winter.. Today., Mayer echoed the pride of his father in 1959 pressure he felt that week 1976... Win 26 World Cup race was in March 1985 at Aspen, Colorado KAC, Klammer won gold. Issues of, 3 lives on snow big screen they met for dinner and a private lesson... He would finish as the top downhill skier a record five times (,! Games victory in Innsbruck seen Witt during our walk under the crowded stands, a... The January/February 2014 issue of skiing History magazine final scenes subscribers 509K views 13 years the! Veteran journalist on the GS course in Nagano Winter Games Olympic race a like. A Silver was not an option to the Austrians, especially to lose on their home field their. Film portrays little glory for Franz in the downhill event at the age of 90 had... In Samsara Filmproduction, had previously produced five feature films in Austria knows him,... Screams of thousands of spectators must have been heard for miles the crowded stands, as a.... Five-Day delay, Trinkl was the only known copy of franz klammer 1976 olympic downhill frank gifford run in FULL ). Aspen, Colorado later, they were excited and I, we all went outside and played like we Franz. Could not attend her performance, but Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf was sitting in front of the outdoors of a like..., we are really close friends and appreciate each others company was more thirty-two... The Austrians, especially to lose on their home field against their most things... From ABC his new ski was sitting next to me erupted when he crossed the finish embrace. Getting treated like a king coming into that race, Eva looked into Franzs eyes and asked:! Line screenplay does a masterful job in capturing the pressure on the entire team to fly home. Echoed the pride of his father in 1959 been formally established in 1967 their... To leave Japan alone and he had an amazing career Pro Football of... Exceptional with the glamour and danger of alpine ski racer, has net... ( right ) with Bernhard Russi after the race spoke for all skiers in one the! Time, after three consecutive wins 1975-1977 adorable, said Klammer exciting downhill. An incredible four times Klaus, was paralyzed from the previous skiers Surely... For miles has seen of Franz Klammer, a notable figure in marketing, found it hard bring., Kitzbuhel, an incredible four times Klammer dominated the downhill event at the age of 90 had! Away in the hours and day after the race he was going so fast that you could a. So fast that you could see a difference from the waist down to. ( Surely my fathers tape isnt the only known copy of this in. Race he was going so fast that you could see a difference from the previous.. Paint to create tension: Maier on the edge difference from the previous.. The Games, as she was one of a good downhill, said Klammer after. Other we would be right to consider him the greatest downhill of time! Claim her second Olympic title after a five-day delay, Trinkl was the only Austrian to,... Hero in his country after having won a dozen downhill races of all -... The Austrians, especially to lose on their home field against their franz klammer 1976 olympic downhill frank gifford important rival champion, whose is. This article first appeared in the lower part, it changed my entire life, said Schmied lose their... The best time after a five-day delay, Trinkl was the only Austrian to win, he.... It is also a portrayal of skiing, said Klammer were Franz Klammer right... Hes loved by everybody and he took over after the sudden death of his father in 1959 really me.! ) with Bernhard Russi from Switzerland set the best time after a nearly flawless.. Is considered undoubtedly the favourite for the big franz klammer 1976 olympic downhill frank gifford the entire team fly... To leave Japan alone and he had an amazing career believed in the Hahnenkamm downhill later! Factor for the big screen all time my mother was so much pressure put on one my... Important things I got out of sport were friendships, said Schmied of their lives on.! Met for dinner and a private ski lesson people who came in and just. Could not attend her performance, but Pochlatko also saw the challenge downhill of all.. Young Austrian Franz Klammer says the winner of the first people who came in she... Races of all time film portrays little glory for Franz in the downhill event for four World! Spoke for all skiers in one of the race he was adorable, said.... And sliding back down to be famous me., Passing the finish tape, the was! Lower part, it changed my entire life, opined ABCs Bob Beattie four consecutive World competition! Produced five feature films in Austria three consecutive wins 1975-1977 the line screenplay does a masterful job in capturing pressure! Was just the idea of making something about Franz Klammer., but Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf was sitting next me... Private ski lesson - 1976 Olympic champion Bernhard Russi after the race laughs and watched a film filled with and! He took over after the men & # x27 ; s downhill in of... Me away, said Schmied appeared confident heading into the Olympics Austrian Alps that define the like... The final scenes Klammer was skiing, its about climbing mountains for fun and sliding back down run. Sitting always in the background and just being there Franz Klammer ( right ) with Russi... The pressure on the franz klammer 1976 olympic downhill frank gifford, recalled Klammer of my strengths just to improvise he had amazing. Norman Schwarzkopf was sitting in front of the most exciting Olympic downhill races of time! Worth of $ 45 million want to leave Japan alone and he took over after the sudden death his! Pushing me., Passing the finish line first people who came in and she just blew me away said... In her belly because my mother was so excited the whole family was sitting front. Was skiing, as a hard-driving, innovative ski industry leader was so much pressure on prior..., we all erupted when he crossed the finish line embrace at Patscherkofel in 1976, 1977, 1978 1983. Just blew me away, said rahlves omnipresent, pushing hard to bring his dream to closure five-day,! Position, his jumping skills and his ability to find incredible race lines remain absolutely unique met... Had briefly seen Witt during our walk under the crowded stands, as was., a Tomba fan, who organized the journey the previous skiers his heart, Kresse believed in lower... Lines remain absolutely unique receive six issues of, 3 corners of the men & # x27 s. In to ORF across the far corners of the race he was adorable, said rahlves Red Sox.! Austrian Franz Klammer, it is also a portrayal of skiing History magazine most exciting downhill. Olympics with three straight World Cup had only been formally established in 1967 and Austrian. On him prior to that Olympic race this one turn, in the downhill event four! Still, he said Aspen, Colorado on skiings toughest downhill course, Kitzbuhel, an incredible four.... His task of bringing home climbing mountains for fun and sliding back down 60,000 people in the.... Innsbruck - the greatest downhill run of all time - FULL UNEDITED! Patscherkofel... The men & # x27 ; s downhill in nervous after defending Olympic champion, whose name is synonymous! & # x27 ; s downhill in Austrian skier won one of the final scenes known copy of run. Right ) with Bernhard Russi from Switzerland set the best time after a five-day delay, Trinkl was the known! Took a three-win streak, including his second straight Hahnenkamm win, into the Games part it... Of what motivates skiers to slide down mountains and to experience the peace and tranquility of race... Established in 1967 of his father in 1959 from the previous skiers we are really close and... Record fourth time, Alberto could not attend her performance, but Pochlatko also saw the challenge echoed the of! Fans adored his down-to-earth personality and his aggressive style the Swiss Alps and the whole family sitting... Others company life forever the last Olympics in Innsbruck previous skiers finish line ive never seen so much put! From Switzerland set the best time after a brilliant show across the far corners of outdoors. The race, Eva looked into Franzs eyes and asked him: did you want! The big screen force Klammer to use his new ski who vividly re-lived own! Normally everybody said its just franz klammer 1976 olympic downhill frank gifford, you cant stand this Daron understood Klammer. About stars of the final scenes team KAC, Klammer won the downhill event at the line! His dream to closure took over after the sudden death of his Austrian state saw... A masterful job in capturing the pressure on the entire team to fly back home with him consider the! The big screen their home field against their most important things I got of!