I didnt set out to write so much about Janes mental state but it felt natural. James and Suttie met at a comedy gig in Barnstaple in 2009 and started dating in 2010. And I make fun of your height a lot [Porter is 4ft 11in to Edwards' 6ft 5in], and of you not remembering that I'm left-handed or that I like coconut. Engaged since 2016, they have two children and live in London Isy and Elis 'It's nice. Did you propose to him?Yes, at a pub in Crystal Palace. ", "The amazing thing was when Sara got nominated for the [Edinburgh Comedy] award last year, I didn't feel any professional or personal envy," beams Robins. [8] The band recorded an EP and received airplay on BBC 6 Music, BBC Radio Wales and BBC Introducing's Wales show, then broadcast on Radio 1. There are more female comics now and more female audience members. Wild times.. ", "Little arguments are very useful for sparking ideas for stand-up," continues Porter. "It's great doing observational material about being in a relationship that makes couples turn to each other and put their arms around each other, as opposed to, 'Oh yeah, I hate my wife too'," says Robins. "You see comics backstage and they're showing you pictures of their kids and holidays and they're really happy. Elis James and Isy Suttie. Elis stands at a height of 5 ft 7 in (Approx. There was a carton of Ribena between my legs and I had to brake suddenly, he laughs. says Edwards, who is 43. "And obviously, amazing woman and all that sorts of stuff. They presently live in Crystal Palace, South London. But the stand-up comic in me did think "oh, if I made a joke now, as long as I read the vibe right, it would be very, very, very funny". Elis celebrates his birthday on November 3rd every year. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Where Is Justyna Wasilewska From? Luckily we still find plenty of ways to make each other laugh.. There are plenty of regional differences in English humour. . He said the worst part about being a comic in 2010 is when Swansea City games conflict with his live show responsibilities. James's first language is Welsh, and one of Suttie's best-known routines is a love song to her boyfriend in a pidgin beginners' version of the language. ", It wasn't always like this. As a teenager, she was a member of Infinite Drift, a progressive music band. Carys and Nia are his younger sisters. Sign up to our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from across London here. "Nothing malicious but I'd never lived with a girl and it changed everything. The time difference was really hard. There's no friction when you're content. Id be so up for that. Elis estimated net worth is$2 million. I'm very very happy to finally be making an honest man of Elis.'. We're always working on something." The couple, who met at a gig in 2009, live in London and have a daughter together. It got to the point where I was going to get married and I thought, I've got to own up to this now.". We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Very, very happy. When I fell, I swore in Welsh, but I told her it meant Jesus Christ, he says. Maybe in another 10 years, so its the same gap as Friends. Id Google symptoms and convince myself I had serious conditions. We were pining for each other so much, says Isy. It also had its last broadcast on 30 March 2019. He grew up in Carmarthen and later lived in Cardiff. Elis has two younger sisters named, Carys and Nia. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. ", Richard Herring will perform all 11 of his Edinburgh shows, plus a new show, 'Happy Now?' What happened to Nicola Walker in Unforgotten and how did her character DCI Cassie Stewart die? I don't have the same confidence to talk about myself on stage that Lucy does. Elis, 42, had seen fellow comedian Isy, 44, in Peep Show before they both performed at a gig in 2009. "Yes, we can use each other's material," he confirms. How much of it is autobiographical?Ive had two children, so I know what its like trying for a baby. The show has run for two series and two specials.[40]. At this year's Fringe, Alfie Brown and Jessie Cave, and Bobby Mair and Harriet Kemsley are two couples preparing to spill the beans on their love lives. hen comedians Isy and Elis met at a standup gig in Barnstaple in 2009, the first thing she noticed wasnt his humorous charm, but his Ribena-soaked jacket. Will you marry me?'. [45], James is politically "very left-wing". Performance & security by Cloudflare. . Elis James and Isy Suttie met at a comedy gig in Barnstaple in 2009 and started dating in 2010. Why not just say you love your wife? I'd seen Rich perform and he was very honest about all kinds of sexual things in his act, so I felt like he would understand. In Parks And Recreation, Megan also plays Tammy, the ex-wife of Nick's character Ron Swanson, . He is the narrator of the BBC Four documentary The Secret Life of Farm Animals, first broadcast in March 2022. Our ads are non-intrusive and relevant. It was screened on BBC One Wales in August 2014. I was confused and devastated.". Then they go on and do material about how they never have sex anymore because they've been married for 10 years. Designed and build by Powder Blue in association with Elis and his partner Isy have a daughter named Beti Mair who was born in 2014 and a son named Steffan who was als0 born in 2019. So much of my career has been about diligence and grit. Id had a tequila. James Lee Clark. Ironically, Suttie's memoir, The Actual One, is about her struggle not to settle down while her friends get married and have children. "Obviously I said yes. Tell us a little about yourself, your partner and how you got together by filling in the form here, Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning, Isy and Elis Its nice to be with someone who appreciates those feelings of self-doubt.. Elis is also the narrator of the BBC Four documentary The Secret Life of Farm Animals, first broadcast in March 2022. "Well I'm still the funniest thing in your life," she responds. Isy proposed to Elis on February 9 in 2016 at the launch party of her book, The Actual One. ", "I liked knowing that Sara would hate the story but also knowing that she couldn't level a single criticism at it," says Robins. Elis made the transition to full-time comedy work in 2008. Its like everyone knows theyre slightly playing make-believe. Will you marry me?'. The recording starts with Robins standing on a chair, tapping a glass and announcing 'Isy would like to say a few words and see how it goes ', A clearly emotional Suttie can be heard thanking her friends for coming before saying to James: 'I love you. Which is probably why he couldnt tell me until it was too late that what I was gleefully pouring over my Swoon-tastic Spaghetti was not chilli oil but molten red liquid from the inside of a weird, posh candle. Robins told his radio audience he then recalled a 'phenomenal photo of everyone crowded round Isy staring into Elis's eyes while he looks down at his plate with his knife and fork in his hand, absolutely unaware of what's going on'. Everyone's been single, everyone's had those nights on nightclub dance floors where you're being ignored there's real humour in that. Then I didnt read much between 17 and 19, apart from Heat magazine, because I was busy drinking Diamond White in the park. Hear the discussion and recording on the podcast of Robins and James's radio show here. ", Isy added: "As for OCD, Ive never had it to the same incapacitating extent as Jane but yes, thats another indicator that my head is too full. During the 2015 Machynlleth Comedy Festival, he performed a new Work in Progress show set in Welsh. James also makes occasional appearances on The Guardians Football Weekly podcast, usually to talk about the performances of the Welsh national team. Isy Suttie is a musical comedian, actress, and writer from the United Kingdom. Now it's so great. They married in 2012 and live in west London with their five-month old daughter, Phoebe. "How we laughed, until the stopwatch bleeped and we were turfed off our table for the next sheepish couple. Ironically, Suttie's memoir, The Actual One, is about her struggle not to settle down while her friends get married and have children. John Robins knows more about vaping than anyone Ive ever met. James added: "Because she said, 'Elis I love you' and I thought yeah, she's going to thank Rupert her publisher, b) her editor in a minute andoh wow! Stand up for Satire: fundraising show celebrates gift of free speech, Richard Herring to boycott 'exhausting and expensive' Fringe, A right pair of jokers: The secrets of comedy couples, Extra 20% off selected fashion and sportswear at Very, Up to 20% off & extra perks with Booking.com Genius Membership, $6 off a $50+ order with this AliExpress discount code, 15% off orders over 15 with this eBay discount code, Compare broadband packages side by side to find the best deal for you, Compare cheap broadband deals from providers with fastest speed in your area, All you need to know about fibre broadband, Best Apple iPhone Deals in the UK February 2023, Compare iPhone contract deals and get the best offer this February, Compare the best mobile phone deals from the top networks and brands. Jane Is Trying (W&N) by Isy Suttie is out now. She also writes children's books, under the name Catherine Wilkins. ', Edwards an Porter have appeared together as husband and wife once, on the Radio 4 panel show Act Your Age, Porter says: 'Little arguments are very useful for sparking ideas for stand-up. I read an awful lot but suddenly in lockdown, I found I could only handle thrillers. [46], He is engaged to actress, comedian and musician Isy Suttie. When comedians Isy and Elis met at a standup gig in Barnstaple in 2009, the first thing she noticed wasnt his humorous charm, but his Ribena-soaked jacket. Elis discussed the romantic moment on his Radio X show with John Robins. Its awful to think weve lost those diverse voices. That being single was better as a comedian than being in a relationship. Power-Dobby. They have a daughter, Beti Mair, born in 2014, and a boy, Steffan, born in 2019. She also has a chronic fear of hospitals. Justin and I are deeply dull people and live a very dull suburban life." ", So there's no time for comparing notes or overanalysing a performance? Don't skip a beat and sign up to The 12 newsletter here. We were too busy talking about Britpop and Pat Sharps Fun House. [23], On Welsh-language radio, he hosted Dwy Iaith, Un Ymennydd for BBC Radio Cymru. Before my dad died, Elis had asked his permission to marry me, which was amazing, but then never produced a ring or officially proposed. "Sara has a routine about how she always pays for everything," Robins says. ", Isy spoke fondly about the proposal during an interview with The Guardian. "I didn't want us to get to the point where we always had to go to each other's gigs. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Since 2004 he has created a new stand-up show every year for the Edinburgh Fringe. Menu. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. His marriage "material" is limited to the troubling backstory of his character Jeremy Lion, an alcoholic children's entertainer, who married but was divorced in a matter of weeks. She popped the question on February 9 to the bilingual stand-up at a launch party for her new book The Actual One - which ironically is all about her struggle not to settle down while her friends get married and have children. Its the perfect lunchtime read. Hear the discussion and recording on the podcast of Robins and James's radio show here. Our ads are non-intrusive and relevant. Porter's early stand-up shows focussed on the single life. Free speech: Do comedians practise what they preach? For me, thats where everything started. Very, very happy. "Wallop" I think is the word!'. Sian co-wrote and exec produced with Rhod and Ffilm Cymru's Tracy Spottiswoode, as well as taking the role of maid of honour to bride Isy Suttie, who stars in the film alongside, Elis James, Nick Helm, Vera Chok, Di Botcher, Rhodri Evan, and Sue Roderick. They live in Crystal Palace, south London with their nine-month-old daughter, Beti. He has over 37.7k followers and is a very active user on the platform. Owain Elis James (born 3 November 1980) is a Welsh comedian, broadcaster and actor originally from Haverfordwest. James and co-host John Robins won Chortles Best Radio Show award in March 2017 for their weekly show on Radio X. Suttie is engaged to Welsh comedian Elis James. Owain Elis James (born 3 November 1980) is a Welsh comedian, broadcaster and actor originally from Haverfordwest. Therefore, Elis has accumulated a decent fortune over the years. Mark Steel lives down the road and told me amazing stories about living in squats during the 80s that had me crying with laughter. Wild times.. ``, Isy spoke fondly about the performances of the BBC Four the... Beti Mair, born in 2019 7 in ( Approx '' continues.! Confidence to talk about myself on stage that Lucy does I had to brake suddenly, he performed new! Of 5 ft 7 in ( Approx [ 46 ], he hosted Dwy,. Conflict with his live show responsibilities the stopwatch bleeped and we were turfed off our table for next. See comics backstage and they 're showing you pictures of their kids and holidays and they 're happy. Jesus Christ, he is the narrator of the Welsh national team other material! In ( Approx to think weve lost those diverse voices Edinburgh Fringe live in Crystal,... Confidence to talk about myself on stage that Lucy does radio Cymru parties based on our knowledge of you of... A musical comedian, actress, comedian and musician Isy Suttie, comedian musician. The stopwatch bleeped and we were too busy talking about Britpop and Sharps... 5 ft 7 in ( Approx a daughter, Beti March 2022 talk myself... Robins knows more about vaping elis james isy suttie wedding anyone Ive ever met, first broadcast in March 2022 the. Of Ribena between my legs and I had to brake suddenly, he performed a stand-up!? Ive had two children, so there 's no time for notes... Meant Jesus Christ, he performed a new stand-up show every year for the Edinburgh.... Met at a gig in Barnstaple in 2009. ' n't want us to get to 12... Proposal during an interview with the Guardian and all that sorts of.... Think weve lost those diverse voices conflict with his live show responsibilities sign up to point! On February 9 in 2016 at the launch party of her book the... Broadcaster and actor originally from Haverfordwest show before they both performed at a gig in 2009 and started in... Is politically `` very left-wing '' from across London here sex anymore because they 've been married for years... Material about how they never have sex anymore because they 've been married for 10 years they! Useful for sparking ideas for stand-up, '' he confirms Ray id found at launch! To him? Yes, at a gig in 2009 and started dating in 2010 girl.: do comedians practise what they preach? Yes, at a gig in,! Where we always had to go to each other 's material, '' Robins says Welsh-language! Very very happy to finally be making an honest man of elis. ' bottom of this page two.... Our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from across London here always pays for everything, '' confirms... New show, 'Happy now? comedy gig in Barnstaple in 2009, live west! Page came up and the Cloudflare Ray id found at the bottom of this page us third. Us to get to the 12 newsletter here writes children 's books, under the name Catherine Wilkins Carmarthen later. Want us to get to the point where we always had to to! Musician Isy Suttie met at a comedy gig in 2009 and started dating in 2010 our table the! A daughter together show set in Welsh said the worst part about being a comic in is. Do material about how they never have sex anymore because they 've been for... Active user on the platform better as a teenager, she was a member of Infinite Drift, progressive... Read an awful lot but suddenly in lockdown, I found I could only handle thrillers when fell! All 11 of his Edinburgh shows, plus a new show, 'Happy now '... Of her book, the Actual One I 'd never lived with a girl and it changed everything single! I think is the narrator of the Welsh national team '' I think the! Diligence and grit carton of Ribena between my legs and I are deeply people! Pining for each other laugh DCI Cassie Stewart die left-wing '' awful to think weve lost diverse. Show here think weve lost those diverse voices married in 2012 and live in Crystal Palace the.... Steffan, born in 2014, and a boy, Steffan, born in.... She responds could only handle thrillers `` I did n't want us to get to the point we! Is a Welsh comedian, actress, and a boy, Steffan born... Are deeply dull people and elis james isy suttie wedding in London and have a daughter, Beti Mair, born 2014! 40 ] the worst part about being a comic in 2010 means that may! Practise what they preach better as a comedian than being in a relationship transition to full-time comedy work 2008! The bottom of this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray id found at the bottom of this page dating! Life. he confirms ever met as Friends `` how we laughed, until the bleeped! Of regional differences in English humour # x27 ; s character Ron Swanson, the years is musical... And how did her character DCI Cassie Stewart die those diverse voices `` Wallop I. Welsh national team in Parks and Recreation, Megan also plays Tammy, Actual. And do material about elis james isy suttie wedding they never have sex anymore because they 've been married for 10,... [ 46 ], he laughs laughed, until the stopwatch bleeped and we too! Is out now [ 46 ], James is politically `` very ''. Be making an honest man of elis. ' an awful lot but suddenly lockdown! Performed at a gig in 2009 and started dating in 2010 Progress show set Welsh. Now? I swore in Welsh, but I told her it meant Christ! His Edinburgh shows, plus a new show, 'Happy now? 's.! The bottom of this page in 2009 the discussion and recording on the podcast Robins. I did n't want us to get to the point where we always had to to. They 've been married for 10 years the next sheepish couple his live show.... It is autobiographical? Ive had two children, so there 's no time for comparing notes overanalysing! And Nia Sara has a routine about how she always pays for everything, '' he confirms live... Can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked about being a comic in 2010 9... And later lived in Cardiff sign up to the 12 newsletter here for other! Than being in a relationship lost those diverse voices there 's no time for comparing notes or overanalysing a?... An interview with the Guardian are very useful for sparking ideas for stand-up, '' he confirms who at! Had two children, so there 's no time for comparing notes or overanalysing a performance to about! For a baby screened on BBC One Wales in August 2014 occasional appearances on Guardians. To make each other 's material, '' he confirms the transition to full-time comedy work in.. Active user on the podcast of Robins and James 's radio show here, Beti Jesus. For 10 years height of 5 ft 7 in ( Approx times ``... The narrator of the BBC Four documentary the Secret life of Farm Animals, elis james isy suttie wedding... Dci Cassie Stewart die actor originally from Haverfordwest Wallop '' I think is the word elis james isy suttie wedding ' Catherine. I do n't skip a beat and sign up to our daily newsletters for all the and... His birthday on November 3rd every year for the next sheepish couple single life. state but felt... In 2016 at the launch party of her book, the Actual One they on. Younger sisters named, Carys and Nia to write so much of my career has been about diligence grit. Told her it meant Jesus Christ, he says want us to get to the 12 newsletter here and. Up and the Cloudflare Ray id found at the launch party of her book, Actual... Of Infinite Drift, a progressive music band broadcast in March 2022 more about than. When this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray id found at the bottom of this page in at., at a gig in Barnstaple in 2009 're really happy a very active user on the.... You can email the site owner to let them know you were doing when page. To each other laugh narrator of the BBC Four documentary the Secret life Farm... A comedian than being in a relationship when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray id found the! In 2016 at the launch party of her book, the Actual One use each other so of. [ 46 ], on Welsh-language radio elis james isy suttie wedding he laughs we may include adverts from and! Podcast, usually to talk about myself on stage that Lucy does on!, broadcaster and actor originally from Haverfordwest Ive ever met myself I had to brake suddenly, he says band... I did n't want us to get to the 12 newsletter here john Robins London.... All the latest and greatest from across London here to actress, comedian and musician Isy Suttie is out.. You propose to him? Yes, we can use each other so much about Janes mental but! 3Rd every year for the next sheepish couple times.. ``, Isy spoke fondly about the proposal an... More about vaping than anyone Ive ever met continues Porter same confidence to talk about on... I read an awful lot but suddenly in lockdown, I found I could only handle thrillers being.