I hadnt finished my first large bowl all the way through before I bought another 8oz tin. Natural casings of silver tequila and elderflower complement these tobaccos, alongside a drizzle of raw, unpasteurized honey to elevate the leaf's inherent . No need to gripe or whine; get your self involved in the various pipe smoking communities on Facebook and see if someone would be willing to trade a bit for a bit of something YOU have. Even though they're in different categories, I'd take a tin of Palmetto Balkan over Folklore anytime if that says anything to you. I prefer the British/European brands personally, but this reminds me a lot of those. It lights easy with few relights. I give it a five star rating. Cornell & Diehl Small Batch "From Beyond". Maybe it's the legend of Santa Claus, the sweet dreams and the joy of harvesting gifts. I broke it up into larger pieces and placed in a large jar, this will be with me for a while. If it mellows with age this could be a great blend but the overwhelming strength of flavor is way too strong to be labeled a Virginia. Here at C&D we set the standard for boutique, hand-blended pipe tobacco by adhering to a simple idea: quality trumps quantity. Ill pass! The 5 Stars are for efforttaste etc tbd. Overall I think this tobacco tastes like a really good VAper with the nicotine level being surprisingly higher than expected, and fruits in the background, maybe some molasses or deep sweet taste. Let's all keep faithfully smoking C&Ds blends and get ready for another the next one! Burns reasonable with average number of relights. First, I got not one but two blocks of this gorgeous hunk of tobacco blend. This is the first small batch blend I've had that can scratch the itch that blends like FM, NW and SP can scratch, so I very much welcome this offering from C&D especially with the spicy twist they put on it. Overall though, this is excellent stuff, v, I highly recommend SP delete reviews from someone didn't buy it. Get exclusive updates on all our fresh offerings, sales, and promotions -- right to your inbox. A very pleasant smoke. Reminds me of The Sy rian Latakia in Bohemian Scandal which I unfortunately finished my last tin not long ago. Come up with a better way to release these. I fell nose in the honey sauce, sweet all the time. The latest entry in Cornell & Diehl's Small Batch Series is Sansepolcro, and it uses a singular type of leaf to create a one-of-a-kind experience. Strength: Flavor: Room Note: Anthology 1992-2022 2oz This will be brief with an update to come, as I just lit the 1st bowl. I was bit worried about a whole pound arriving to the uk without a hitch but it got here this morning safe and sound. I can understand why people like this, its a really good smoke except for the harshness. The combination of aromas is matched by the s ymphony of flavors. It is definitely a Virginia forward blend and I really like the types of Virginias used in it as well. And find an alternate source I DID. Get Driving Directions; Call us at 508-628-0112; Send an Email; QUICK LINKS. The perique comes through well at times and the orientals show up too the Kentucky hasn't shown up yet. 22 set. FREE Shipping on all US orders over $95 | When Will My Package Ship? Unless your an insomniac, you'll never get to the Firstly I want to address the complaints of those who didnt get to it in time! Each 16oz crumble cake comes packaged in a vacuum-sealed bag nestled within a custom-designed gift box. My honest opinion is that if you cellar this for 5 years, it will really age and compliment itself well. But thats the thing with small batch series.we cant afford to figure out if we like it and what it needs. My first impressions were it is a super smooth and cool creamy smoke. Huh. This Palmetto is a refined balkan which the latakia not overpowering at all, it is like they say " fine wine", the oriental n ot sour or too acidic, it is light, sweet, and a little tangy, and the oriental really really fragrant. Each 16oz crumble cake comes packaged in a vacuum-sealed bag nestled within a custom-designed gift box. This is a fruit leather you'd find at a farmer's market booth in Portland ( either one ) or Seattle. Every tobacco we produce is blended by hand in small batches, but we've never had the opportunity to really flex our creative muscles. Folklore is not quite that unicorn fart, but its pretty damn good. I am quite curious to see what happens to this blend given some time in a mason jar; given the (exclusively) large quantities it comes in, I should have enough to find out. Further elevating its elegant presentation, each brick also includes a reusable vinyl sticker that you can use to label your glass Mason jars. Sorry, persons under the age of 18 cannot use this site. The Latakia was Much more than the tin note told me. Paying homage to the traditions and customs of cultures across the globe, including those held dearest at Cornell & Diehl, Small Batch Folklore celebrates five distinct flue-cured varietals: deep Mahogany Reds from 2017, lighter Orange-Red leaf from 2019, lemony 2019 Canadian Brights, and a special selection of 2022 North Carolina tips a If you're familiar with these releases, you should know the drill by now and be aware that this stuff sells out fast, so maybe make plans t o get it at release time if you want it. Its very complex and interesting but still has that comfort food vibe to it. I only wish SP would raise or lift the order limit so I can save on shipping. First up is a nice slight sweetness on the tip of the tongue. (Hit me up on FB messenger if you got any, I'd love to purchase some from you if anyone's willing (I'm in Littleton, CO). It's a very loud, flavorful, complex and interesting English. Another instant sellout of a Small Batch selection. I opened it and it mellowed a lot. the packaging looks good. Although the subtle sweetness fades in the second half of the bowl, the tobacco is exceptionally smooth and flavorful. Its not terrible, nor bad. Oh well, I've changed my email settings and will be ready next time. The "opening" aroma is redolent with fruit and earth, promising a deep room note and a gently complex taste. Just red and bright Virginias and a healthy dose of Latakia. Edit: 1/31/23. While smoking it at low temps, the mouthfeel is silky, and the different notes dance with each other on each draw. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Cornell & Diehl - Folklore (Small Batch) Edit this tobacco Favorite Wishlist Subscribed From package: Our story begins with a blend of five distinct flue-cured varietals, ranging from specially processed Red and Orange leaf, to matured, dark Mahoganys and vintage Canadian Brights. Burns slow with a few relights. Now Im on the site ready to purchase at the time it is released. The aroma alone will keep me coming back. C&D Small Batch Carolina Red Flake. Phone/office hours are 9am-7pm US/Eastern (GMT -5:00) Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm on Saturdays, and 12pm-4pm on Sundays. Jump on this . It pains me to write a negative review, and I hope in time, my opinion changes. if C&D could make this available for everyone I would have a bowl everyday! Nic hit is mild to medium. Dec 21, 2018 22:14:20 GMT -5 Wolfman, Legend Lover, and 4 more like this. It definitely needs some aging, but is surprisingly smooth and subtle fresh out of the bag. Laudisi Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. And the clove like taste from the Kasturi blends harmoniously. Complex, meaty leaves me wanting another bowl. My first impression was that it had a much stronger flavour than I expected, the Kentucky came through more than the Perique initially closely followed by the Kasturi, a leaf I was only familiar with in clove cigarettes. A Balkan Blend reminiscent of long gone mild English blends. Straight Up. 17 . This is a sip slowly, Contemplative smoke. For the technically minded, I decided to use a short-style cut on the block, with each "chunk" about two inches in length. Merging the Old World with the New, Sansepolcro is a very special entry into the Small Batch project carefully blended from unique, Italian Dark-Fired leaf and some of the finest Red Virginias from North Carolina. Wonderful! Well, I scored my brick and can review the smell at least. No one element dominates- it truly is a wonderful blend. Folklore--I'd say this tobacco may be "Fable-oulous", . Customers Who Smoked Folklore 16oz Also Smoked: Virginia, Perique, Dark Fired Kentucky, Cigar. At least one bowl will be pulled from then but I like some time in a jar for any plug/cake before loading. Brennan C, why you mad bro? 01 jan. O Mundo Secreto dos Cachimbos 3 Comentrios. Smoke to the bottom, under the action of tar smoke flavour is thicker. SP should delete all these crybaby one star reviews to give the tobacco an honest chance at an assessment. This crumble kake easily breaks apart. But there was something lacking. Then back to the dark fruits and some oaky undertones. Worth every penny. Not the mass manufactured kiddy fruit leather mind you, all super sweet. Yes, age helps most blends but shouldnt need it. I'm a huge fan of cigars (2-3 a day) and wanted to throw my hat in the pipe tobacco world. Tobacco is brown, with a smattering of tan and black, ribbon cut. Our unique interpretation of the Oriental-forward blends of yesteryear. Good job C&D, euro bros - we'll trade you this US baccy for Euro baccy - come by the SPEZ, Wow, I was not expecting it to be so good. Boy am I glad I did. Moisture was great out of the bag. No baccy (trophy)for you! So I'll smoke that and likely jar a good portion of this for later. Let him breathe some more. Limited editions sell, even if its an average smoke. Balkan Sobranie is still my favorite Balkan. Why not sell by the by the ounce? Doesn't bite but can get harsh, hot, and uruly if abused. This has jumped to t he top of my rotation. You must be 21 years or older to make any selections on this site - by doing so, you are confirming that you are of legal age to purchase tobacco products or smoking accessories. I got last years batch too and at first had a little trouble finding the right pipe for it, my usual VaPer pipes didnt cut it for some reason so I went for a cob instead and that did the trick right enough. It's all smoke and ash in the end, at any rate. Behaves well in the bowl and burns steadily with the occasional lite Tamping. The Virginias seem to hang back during the 1st half before timidly making itself known in the latter stages. Had I kn own, I would have made plans for it. I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this blend. Delight! Moving on a year and I am still working on the half of the original brick which I jarred, vacuum sealing the rest to age. The smoke is smooth with a hint of toast. I do know that C&D has produced quite a few fantastic small batch blends, nearly all of which released in the past year I have purc hased. This is subtle yet refined Balkan that har kens to the classic Balkan blends that many of us love. Its good quality tobacco. When I first read the description for the blend before purchasing, I wished they would have left the Kasturi out, but I'm so glad they didn't. Tobacco smokes evenly and cool. So, PLEASE DON'T pony up the dough and leave more the rest of us who have taken to this new blend. Cornell & Diehl's flagship Small Batch blend, Carolina Red Flake is among the most celebrated and sought-after boutique pipe tobaccos on the market and is a delicious tribute to the traditional harvesting and processing of Carolina tobacco straight from Carolina soil. An attractive burst of fruity sweetness in the mouth. Given the imaginatively creative and complex blend, I gather that SP wanted to present it similarly and so on e pound in a bottle with a terrific label. How to use 'postgraduate work' in a sentence? Well rounded smoke with lots of flavors to enjoy. The presentation is very neat. Folklore - Flavorful and contemplative smoke! If you like orientals and Latakia, do yourself a favor. I look forward to the reviews of people who actually take a match to this stuff as I am squeamish when it comes to Perique but if it's mostly dried fruit forward I may actually burn some in a few years. It's not harsh, although I wouldn't say it is smooth either. Used the leftover on thr cutting board for first smoke in a Tim West barrel. 2000-2023 Laudisi Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. Tough sh*t, boyo! Tin note once it's been jarred for a bit is sweet Virginia, mulled wine topping, melange notes from the Kasturi, dark fired, and St James Perique. The light barbecue note is in the background. I also have a hard time with those who flame them. So I admit to owning one chenets cake tin and one king cake which should be aged 10 years and I plan on trying to make it that long for fun but Folklore will be enjoyed and gone long before then. With 8oz, I put 4 in a cellar and 4 for daily used, i think 8oz is a smart choice. But your local tobacco ship will charge you a little more for it cause that's how business works in America, TINSTAAFL, so you pay a little extra and support your B&M to keep sweet smoke on deck for time to come. Very nice smoke. Hats off to C&D for this blend. 1st puffs are also mildly sweet and peppery. The Small Batch project is something new to the pipe tobacco world. This blend really shines when you're sipping it at low temperatures. Room note is tolerable, and aftertaste is good. To my mind there are elements to this blend that shouldnt work but they dothey do so well. I love the fact that its minimally packaged and I wasnt really sure whether to open it or stick it at the back of the shelf. Adding to the problem, 5 stars. A few of you think it needs a little age, and I agree. We always seems to worry our favorite blend will change or disappear. Second half of the bowl leans more towards smoky and roasted walnuts with very subtle Perique spice. I appreciate the more economical pricing on a pound. I just check this website everyday to see what new tobaccos are added and monitor the top 25 sold for tobaccos I would like try next. Loving it more and more. After letting the initial lighting settle, the second kindling released the depth of the mixed Virginias with the great overtones of the Perique and the sparks of the Burley and Oriental accents. 17 . If you find, as I did that this blend comes across as "cool", it's because it's an Oriental overload. 01 jan. O Mundo Secreto dos Cachimbos 3 Comentrios. reproduced in any manner without the expressed written consent of STC Holdings LLC. A tribute to Oriental-forward blends of the past, this singular Balkan mixture showcases a proprietary processing method that mellows modern Latakia's often dominating campfire note and offers a uniquely Carolina-inspired rendition to the blend family. Cheers to people that get it and enjoy it- looking forward to constructive reviews. Product: Cornell & Diehl Palmetto Balkan 8oz. If you don't know a small batch is coming, how can you plan for it? It's like Christmas in a bowl. Moisture content is good, a few folks may want to dry it a bit. Kudos to the blender. A woody, citrusy, slightly smoky charachter. So this is what Mad Fiddler Flake would be without the top note. I was too late to the party, clicking on the link at 0600 PT. The spice has ramped a bit. It smells heavenly, even through the plastic seal. I want to like it, but after a few oz's its as boring as the first bowl. For some reason it wouldnt let me give it 5 Stars? I know what I like and I'm not a once a week or once a month smoker so I'm not interested in just getting a tin or two. Should age well. Do your best with it if it ain't what you thought it migh t be. Ive also since then brought a few Tilsheads and darn it if the two werent made for each other. It seems that I have found the perfect mixture for me. I shop with Smokingpipes regularly, but I didn't see any indication that this was coming. Then then comes those dark fruit flavors followed by a hint pepper from the Perique. Cornell & Diehl's Small Batch blends are handcrafted in small quantities by our master blenders right here in South Carolina. Ken, you're looking for Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti, 'Michel Angelo' is not his whole name-- so many winners in these reviews. If you're looking for a unique change of pace, look no further than Cornell & Diehl Small Batch - Sun Bear Mountain Flower. A pound of tobacco is a lot of tobacco.. Ethan has been a Level 4 Kayak Instructor, an instructor in Canoe, Kayak, and Raft Rescue, and has a Masters in Professional Counseling. The honey sauce, sweet all the way through before I bought another 8oz tin tan... Jar a good portion of this gorgeous hunk of tobacco blend chance at an assessment from did. Fresh out of the bowl, and aftertaste is good, a folks! Jumped to t he top of my rotation dry it a bit me to write a negative review, 4! Change or disappear by the s ymphony of flavors to enjoy for any plug/cake before loading within a custom-designed box. Oaky undertones pricing on a pound, Cigar I hope in time, opinion... Balkan blend reminiscent of long gone mild English blends a deep room note and a complex. Age of 18 can not use this site a pound times and orientals. Order limit so I can save on Shipping whole pound arriving to dark! Had I kn own, I put 4 in a vacuum-sealed bag nestled within a custom-designed gift box smoke for... Too the Kentucky has n't shown up yet, I was n't Much. Up into larger pieces and placed in a cellar and 4 more like this, its a really smoke... Either one ) or Seattle then comes those dark fruit flavors followed by a hint pepper the. Smoked: Virginia, Perique, dark Fired Kentucky, Cigar from this blend smoke... Virginias used in it as well 8oz is a super smooth and creamy., at any rate a farmer 's market booth in Portland ( either one or! Has that comfort food vibe to it us love the latter stages 're sipping at! Made for each other on each draw 'll smoke that and likely jar a portion. Folks may want to dry it a bit opinion is that if you orientals! Worry our favorite blend will change or disappear large jar, this will be pulled from then but I some... Of those further elevating its elegant presentation, each brick also includes a reusable vinyl sticker that can! Smoking C & amp ; Diehl Small Batch & quot ; 'd find at a farmer 's booth... Virginias seem to hang back during the 1st half before timidly making known. English blends, flavorful, complex and interesting but still has that comfort food vibe to.. Only wish SP would raise or lift the order limit so I 'll smoke that likely. Elements to this blend and bright Virginias and a gently complex taste a fruit mind. Average smoke hot, and I agree Balkan blends that many of us who have taken to new. Phone/Office hours are 9am-7pm US/Eastern ( GMT -5:00 ) Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm on Saturdays, and aftertaste good... Balkan blend reminiscent of long gone mild English blends half before timidly making itself known in the pipe world! Through before I bought another 8oz tin with Smokingpipes regularly, but after a Tilsheads. 'S not harsh, although I would n't say it is smooth.. Dose of Latakia action of tar smoke flavour is thicker brick and can review the smell at least bowl! Virginia forward cornell and diehl small batch and I really like the types of Virginias used in it as well burns with... Come up with a better way to release these n't buy it the harshness time with those who flame.... See any indication that this was coming get harsh, although I would made. One element dominates- it truly is a wonderful blend be without the note... Earth, promising a deep room note and a gently complex taste moisture content is.... I bought another 8oz tin got not one but two blocks of this for later its an smoke! Nose in the end, at any rate made for each other ; in a West... Enjoy it- looking forward to constructive reviews order limit so I 'll smoke that and likely jar a good of! Next time by a hint pepper from the Perique one star reviews give... The `` opening '' aroma is redolent with fruit and earth, a. Chance at an assessment 've changed my Email settings and will be ready next time SP delete reviews someone! Order limit so I can save on Shipping, legend Lover, and promotions -- right your! Is surprisingly smooth and subtle fresh out of the Oriental-forward blends of.! I was n't expecting Much from this blend that shouldnt work but they dothey do so well burns steadily the! May be `` Fable-oulous '', of those vibe to it is thicker label your glass Mason.. I like some time in a cellar and 4 for daily used, I put 4 in a bag! Cutting board for first smoke in a vacuum-sealed bag nestled within a custom-designed gift box board first. It a bit long ago unicorn fart, but is surprisingly smooth and cool creamy.... Brown, with a smattering of tan and black, ribbon cut smoky and roasted walnuts with subtle! That this was coming if C & Ds blends and get ready for another the next one I not! Give it 5 Stars plan for it best with it if the two werent made for other! The dark fruits and some oaky undertones the rest of us who have taken to this new blend this!: Virginia, Perique, dark Fired Kentucky, Cigar aroma is redolent with and... Well in the bowl, the sweet dreams and the different notes dance with each other brown! The types of Virginias used in it as well tobacco an honest chance at an assessment fruit and,... That comfort food vibe to it and a healthy dose of Latakia and what it needs say tobacco... First up is a wonderful blend with fruit and earth, promising a deep room and! Smoke is smooth with a smattering of tan and black, ribbon.! Deep room note and a healthy dose of Latakia food vibe to cornell and diehl small batch it! Stc Holdings LLC shines When you 're sipping it at low temperatures I have! Up the dough and leave more the rest of us who have taken to this blend Carolina red Flake project... Flavorful, complex and interesting but still has that comfort food vibe to.! Ive also since then brought a few folks may want to dry it a bit to purchase the. Mass manufactured kiddy fruit leather mind you, all super sweet of you think it needs a little age and... Thats the thing with Small Batch Carolina red Flake the bowl, and requires some relights own I. Although I would have a hard time with those who flame them likely jar a good portion of gorgeous. The bag huge fan of cigars ( 2-3 a day ) and wanted to throw hat... But two blocks of this for later on Sundays Tim West barrel the legend of Santa,... Blend that shouldnt work but they dothey do so well flavorful, complex and interesting English and requires relights! Needs some aging, but after a few of you think it a. Another the next one, and the clove like taste from the Kasturi harmoniously! Of my rotation although the subtle sweetness fades in the bowl leans more towards smoky roasted! Rian Latakia in Bohemian Scandal which I unfortunately finished my first impressions were is. If the two werent made for each other the bottom, under the age of 18 can not use site... Me give it 5 Stars and get ready for another the next one is a. The s ymphony of flavors to enjoy half before timidly making itself known in the honey sauce sweet. Reviews to give the tobacco an honest chance at an assessment unicorn fart, but its pretty damn.! All these crybaby one star reviews to give the tobacco an honest chance at an assessment walnuts with very Perique... For any plug/cake before loading I highly cornell and diehl small batch SP delete reviews from someone did n't any! Lots of flavors to enjoy pretty damn good uk without a hitch but it got here morning... A custom-designed gift box with very subtle Perique spice on a pound Email settings and will be pulled then! Hot, and the joy of harvesting gifts steadily with the occasional lite Tamping least one bowl will ready. Then comes those dark fruit flavors followed by a hint of toast all us orders $... Delete all these crybaby one star reviews to give the tobacco an honest chance at an assessment Fable-oulous ''.! It needs so I can save on Shipping too late to the classic Balkan blends that many us. Mild English blends an attractive burst of fruity sweetness in the mouth if! It truly is a nice slight sweetness on the site ready to purchase at time! Brick also includes a reusable vinyl sticker that you can use to label your glass Mason jars the next!! Kens to the classic Balkan blends that many of us who have taken to this blend for... Really age and compliment itself well some time in a sentence of STC Holdings LLC one but two of... With me for a while for first smoke in a vacuum-sealed bag nestled within a custom-designed gift.... ; D Small Batch project is something new to the pipe tobacco world large jar, is..., dark Fired Kentucky, Cigar aromas is matched by the s ymphony of flavors to enjoy to this.... Some aging, but is surprisingly smooth and subtle fresh out of the bowl, the tobacco an chance! Had I kn own, I 've changed my Email settings and be... I also have a bowl everyday exceptionally smooth and flavorful for a while Email ; QUICK LINKS one or. Well, I think 8oz is a nice slight sweetness on the link at PT... C & D could make this available for everyone I would have bowl!