He has managed to win 6 major championships and 29 PGA Tour events in his entire career. to see possibly who they are and full class lists found from school records and public sources. Trevino drives the kids to school in the morning. Lee Trevino placed second. The stunt later led to a lucrative advertising contract with Dr Pepper. He married his third wife Claudia Trevino in 1983. This golf great played himself in the Adam Sandler starrer movie Happy Gilmore; the movie was about a fictional failed hockey player with an unrealized talent for golf. They lived in four rooms with no running water and no electricity. On June 27, 1975, at a course near Chicago, Trevino was struck by lightning. 1971 was a golden year for him. Tony gets together with his father once in a blue moon. //. . Hale Irwin was a two-sport athlete at the University of Colorado, winning the 1967 National Collegiate Athletic Association golf championship as well as being a two-time All-Big-8 football defensive back. He continued to finish on top of the leader board, including wins at the 1999 Ford Senior Players Championship and at the 2000 U.S. Senior Open. Claudia M Bove (Trevino), born 1939 Lee B Trevinowas born circa 1940. Trevino told Claudia he had been divorced. At fourteen, he became a full-time caddy at the Dallas Athletic Club. He had six children with his three wives: Richard, Daniel, Tony, Lesley Ann, Troy, and Olivia. Lesley Ann, Tony Lee, and Troy Liana were from his second marriage to Claudia Lee Fenley, which ended in divorce in early 1983. With six majors in his pocket, Trevino hasbeen a mainstay of the Challenge since its inception in 1995,yet he has never finished better than fourth with either Tony orTony's older half brother, Rick, also a teaching pro. Later in the year he won the Hawaiian Open. October 20, 2009. Trevino wed Claudia Bove, whom he met at the Greater Hartford Open, in December 1983; the couple had two children, Olivia and Daniel. More than 30 years have passed since they were introduced. At 83 years old, Lee Trevino height is 5' 7" (1.7 m) . https://www.encyclopedia.com/sports/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/trevino-lee, Bethel, Kari "Trevino, Lee He was named both Rookie of the Year and Player of the Year. Instead, he developed the resourcefulness, drive, and creativity that would characterize his career as a golfer. At night he would sneak over the fence and play on the empty course. In fact, no broads areallowed. He had two sisters and his father left the family at an early age. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. We spent a lot of time around the clubhouse. You cant separate us. Tony nods, flexes and swings. His demeanor was perhaps more unusual in golf than it would be in other sports, because golf had a lengthy history as a sport exclusive to the wealthy and socially refined. Between 1970 and 1980, he won the Vardon Trophy, named after the legendary golfer, and given by the PGA of America to the PGA Tour's leader in scoring average, five times. He flashes a smile that's broad and diabolical. //]]>. In a playoff round against Nicklaus during the 1971 U.S. Open in Merion, Pennsylvania, Trevino bested him 68-71. He was honored by numerous awards and rewards. His autobiography, They Call Me Super Mex, was published by Random House in 1983. Trevino has a great swing ability and potential in his game. He earned the PGA Rookie of the Year award and at season's end had official winnings of $125,675 plus endorsements. At age 14 he went to work at Hardy's Driving Range, where he was able to practice his swing with real golf equipment. (With Dick Aultman) Groove Your Golf Swing My Way. Who's Searching for You, Relatives, Associates, Neighbors & Classmates. https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/trevino-lee, "Trevino, Lee I thought kids grewup, went to school, graduated and kissed you every now and then,but when your kid's childhood is gone, it's gone. Trevino, of course, has something to say back. But Id been hurt. Trevino will be 62 in December. Sports Illustrated (April 25, 1994): 46-7. He has designed golf courses in the U.S., Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Mexico. He is an actor, known for Happy Gilmore(1996), Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf(1988) and The Swinging World of Golf(1973). Feb. 28 (UPI) -- Dictionary.com is adding 313 new terms and 130 new definitions to keep up with the ever-changing modern lexicon. He is considered one of the prominent players in golf history and one of the greatest Hispanic golfers of all time. "If not for that broken arm, I'dprobably be out on the Hooters tour, struggling to get my card. Linda was pregnant with his first child, Ricky, by the time she graduated high school. The U.S. Open in 1967 was a watershed in his career. View court, arrest, criminal/conviction Now, you get one every week.. Lee Trevino is an American retired professional golfer who is regarded as one of the greatest players in golf history. Lee Trevino has an estimated net worth of $40 million. Son Richard Lee, from his first marriage, became a professional golfer. Since joining the Senior Tour in 1989, he has logged 28 wins and pocketed almost $8 million. below. For some reason, I sat there and I said, Im going to call Claudia, out of the blue. Lee has endured two divorces, several failed business ventures,a lightning strike and a couple of back operations. He fathered six children, Richard, Daniel, Tony, Lesley Ann, Troy and Olivia, from his three marriages. Retrieved February 23, 2023 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/trevino-lee. Detroit: The Gale Group, 2003. http://www.galenet.com/servlet/BioR (January 8, 2003). Im free, raising hell, playing golf, doing TV. Trevino won three tournaments in 1991 and in 1992 had five victories before injuring his thumb in June, which required surgery. Claudia is the best thing that has ever happened to me, Trevino said. Previously cities included Wethersfield CT and Mission KS. "I didn't realize what astranger I had become to my family until it was too late." Join Facebook to connect with Claudia Bove and others you may know. "I totally neglected my four oldest kids," Lee says as coolly asif he were reading scores off a leader board. Lee Buck Trevino better known as Lee Trevino is a retired American professional golfer. "Why go to bed?," he once told a Time interviewer. [CDATA[ Six years later, he entered the U.S. Open. "Lee Trevino." By the mid-1970s it seemed as though nothing could stop Trevino, until Mother Nature intervened to slow him down a bit. Eventually Trevino found someone willing to subsidize his expenses for a few tournaments that didn't require Professional Golf Association (PGA) membership. When Nancy Lopez burst onto the scene of the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Tour during her rookie ye, Connors, Jimmy "They thought all I wantedto do was scream and play golf." . "I used to wonder,Where's Dad? Adjusting his stance, he aimed less to the right, breaking the unwritten "rules" governing the perfect swing but achieving a championship-winning result. AKA Lee Buck Trevino Born: 1-Dec - 1939 Birthplace: Dallas, TX Gender: Male Religion: Roman Catholic Race or Ethnicity: Hispanic Sexual orientation: Straight Occupation: Golf, Actor Nationality: United States Executive summary: Pro golfer hosted Golf for Swingers Military service: USMC (1956-60) "I know people in Dallas. Although he only won total of three tournaments in 1969 and 1970 (the Tucson Open twice and the National Airlines Open Invitational), he managed to place in the money often enough to place him among the tour's top money winners. Inicio; Servicios. ", It's different for the upper-middle-class progeny of PGA Tourplayers. Playing a minimum of 20 tournaments a year, he was in the top ten only three times in 2000, and in 2003 was beaten by an amateur in a People vs. the Pros match in Las Vegas. He left him when he was small. Detroit: St. James Press, 2000. During his marriage with Claudia, he had two more children to add to his family. His early experience of wagering more money than he had to lose helped Trevino develop his competitive edge and his coolness under extreme pressure later in his career. His first child, Ricky is a teaching pro in Florida. But when his winning ways scared off most of his competition, he began taking bets that he could win using a 26-ounce Dr. Pepper bottle wrapped in adhesive tape for a club. Bring on the Shiplap? . "Instead of missing him,it was more like, 'When is he going to be gone? He was previously married to Claudia Fenley and Linda. (With Sam Blair) The Snake in the Sandtrap (And Other Misadventures on the Golf Tour). Leaving school after seventh grade, Trevino lied about his age and joined the U.S. Marines at 17, serving in Asia from 1956 to 1960 as a machine gunnery sergeant. As he is American by nationality and his ethnicity is white. This is me - Summary Court Records Dallas, TX; previous cities include Wethersfield CT and Mission KS. He had a difficult childhood and could not attend school regularly as he had to supplement the familys income. His first child, Ricky is a teaching pro in Florida. COLOR PHOTO: PHOTOGRAPHS BY SIMON BRUTY You're killin' me! Theball cuts a lovely, low arc and stops within two feet of theflag. Encyclopedia of World Biography. O n June 27, 1975, at a course near Chicago, Trevino was struck by lightning. The kids go to school in Dallas, but Claudia said she will always come back to Wethersfield. Joining the PGA in 1966, Trevino played in the U.S. Open at the Olympic Country Club in San Francisco. In this case tomorrow was the opening round of the annualFather/Son Challenge, a $919,000 tournament in which 14 pros,all former winners of major championships, team with a son in a36-hole scramble. After his first two marriages to Claudia Fenley and Linda ended in divorce, Trevino married Claudia Bove in 1983. Lying about his age, Trevino joined the U.S. Marines when he was seventeen and served two two-year stints in Asia and played for the Third Marine Division golf squad. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1985. Find out more about her here:-. My direction wasnt real good at the time. "What the hell is that club?" Feb. 28 (UPI) -- Firefighters in Georgia came to the rescue of a dog who fell into a storm drain and ended up stranded about 12 feet underground. Continuing to perform well into the mid-1990s, Trevino became PGA Seniors champion in 1994, but a neck injury forced him to start relaxing a bit. Golf World, January 19, 2001; July 12, 2002. Trevino had a new fan. In an early betting gimmick, he would sucker lesser players by offering to play a hole or two using a quart-size glass Dr Pepper bottle instead of a club. "Flex your knees," counselsLee, the self-styled king of the lowball. 2019Encyclopedia.com | All rights reserved. Born into poverty, he mastered the sport with a homemade club and an unconventional golfing swing, rising in the ranks to become one of the top golfers of his generation. Despite his shortened season, he was once again named Player of the Year and once again took home more than $1 million in winnings. That year the PGA named Trevino Player of the Year, one of many awards he would receive for winning the U.S. Open for the second time in four years. Estimated net worth Lee Trevino is a professional golfer who is both Mexican and American. Community-minded, Trevino traditionally donated a portion of his winnings to charities. people learn more about others, just like Yelp does for Trevino, Lee, with Oscar Fraley, I Can Help Your Game, Fawcett, 1971. Mit unserem einfachen Abonnement erhalten Sie Zugriff auf die besten Inhalte von Getty Images. Dog rescued after falling 12 feet into Georgia storm drain. "I was too busy trying to survive. Professional Golf Association. During 1965 he played in three events, finishing first at the Texas State Open, second at the Mexico City Open, and fifth at the Panama Open. He won the 1974 World Series of Golf and PGA championships, keeping his name in the news around the world. Known for his easy laugh and sometimes sharp wit, he has an uncanny ability to focus, relax, and refocus his way around a golf course that can unnerve his competitors who don't possess the same gift. Hey, Lee Trevino has married three times until now. records, Lawsuits, Liens, Bankruptcies & sex offender status for Claudia Trevino. By the time he was discharged in 1961, he was a good golfer, with a four-handicap, but wanted to get better. World's Ugliest Dog contest seeking unalluring canines for 2023 competition. Trevino's first tournament, and first major, win came in 1968 when he took the U.S. Open, shooting a record four rounds under 70 (69, 68, 69, 69). children: Daniel Lee Trevino, Lesley Ann Trevino, Olivia Leigh Trevino, Richard Trevino, Tony Lee Trevino, Troy Trevino, awards: 1971 - PGA Player of the Year 1970 - Vardon Trophy 1971 - Vardon Trophy, 1972 - Vardon Trophy 1974 - Vardon Trophy 1980 - Vardon Trophy 1980 - Byron Nelson Award 1990 - Jack Nicklaus Trophy 1992 - Jack Nicklaus Trophy 1994 - Jack Nicklaus Trophy 1990 - Arnold Palmer Award 1992 - Arnold Palmer Award 1990 - Rookie of the Year 1990 - Byron Nelson Award 1991 - Byron Nelson Award 1992 - Byron Nelson Award 1971 - Sportsman of the Year 1971 - Male Athlete of the Year, See the events in life of Lee Trevino in Chronological Order. Millionen hochwertiger Bilder, Videos und Musiktracks warten auf Sie. Lee Trevino Popularity Most Popular #81923 83 Year Old Sagittarius #4 "Everyone was scared to death of me until I teed off," he says. He is one of the richest golfers behind some stars like Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer, Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, etc. His place of birth was Dallas, Texas. Out of his children, 4 of them were sons and 2 of them were daughters. His pop-up lands 30 feet from theflag. Lee Buck Trevino was born in Dallas, Texas, on December 1, 1939, to parents Joseph and Juanita Trevino. Chip Gaines Bought Larry McMurtrys Historic Texas Bookstore. He is an actor, known for Happy Gilmore (1996), M.U.G.E.N (1999) and Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf (1988). He has a great personality. 2023 Getty Images. (With Oscar Fraley) I Can Help Your Game. At that time he had already had four children from his first two marriages. Lee Trevino was born on December 1, 1939 in Dallas, Texas, USA. Theschool had no golf team, and Tony didn't take the sportseriously again until he enrolled at North Texas State (now theUniversity of North Texas). Encyclopedia of World Biography. "I watch eight hours of bad swings, hit balls for a half hourand then go home to my wife and daughter," Tony says of hislife. Family (1) Trivia (4) Professional golfer. 1952- Caught in a30-mph headwind pushed by Hurricane Olga, they twist and crookin every direction but flagward. Hes gonna reap from all the neglect I did my other kids.. '", 2023 ABG-SI LLC. Tenderly, the 62-year-old Senior tour pro clasps the shouldersof the 32-year-old club pro, looks into his eyes and tells himto get a grip. We report on vital issues from politics to education and are the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering everything from music to cultural events with insightful recommendations. Garrity, John. She is one of many reasons the GHO is special to him. * The other websites referenced on this site are owned and operated by their respective companies, and the associated trademarks and logos are the property of those companies. Why isn't he home? (February 23, 2023). The following year, Trevino's wife sent off the twenty dollar registration fee for the 1967 U.S. Open trials despite her husband's misgivings. "I wouldn't still be playing if I didn't think I could still win," Trevino told Golf World after his twenty-ninth senior tour win. He made consistent contact with the ball. In a span of 20 days, he won the U.S. Open, Canadian Open and the British Open to become the first player to win those three titles in the same year. "It's important that mylittle kids know me. All I wantedwas to be with him, yet I hardly ever was. Working as an assistant pro at El Paso's Horizon Hills Country Club, Trevino was earning enough money to support his growing family. (February 23, 2023). His GHO run started in 1967 it was his fourth professional tournament and he won in 1972. He occasionally goes to the school where Claudia volunteers and cooks burgers for the kids. A gifted if unorthodox player, Trevino, known as the Merry Mex, is gregarious and talkative, usually chatting nonstop around the course. claudia bove trevino. He was tired of being compared with his father. There is no info about his siblings. "Lee Trevino." Trevino was carefree, playing golf around the world. , 1985 the Golf Tour ) won the Cadillac NFL Golf Classic claudia bove trevino 2000 see possibly who they are full... Children with his father left the family at an early age Sam Blair ) Snake... Man breaks world record for fire sword throws and catches, Ricky is a professional golfer community-minded, said., has something to say back and no electricity: https: //www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/trevino-lee to family! In Golf history and one of the richest golfers behind some stars like Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer, Mickelson... Classic in 2000 low arc and stops within two feet of theflag professional tournament he! Pga in 1966, Trevino was born on December 1, 1939 I hardly ever was feb. 28 ( )... To bed?, '' says Lee water and no electricity by JOAN HANAUER, United International. Had two more children to add to his family for 2023 competition for that broken arm, be. Later, he entered the U.S., Canada, Japan, Taiwan Vietnam! For 2023 competition.. ' '', one day Tony came home from tournament... No running water and no claudia bove trevino the GHO is special to him oldest kids, '' says Lee know. Yet I hardly ever was Your claudia bove trevino swing my Way ) Groove Golf... Compared with his father once in a blue moon, '' counselsLee, self-styled... And at season 's end had official winnings of $ 40 million Abonnement Sie!, I sat there and I said, Im going to be with him, yet I hardly was! From his first two marriages to Claudia Fenley and Linda ended in divorce, Trevino Claudia! Are and full class lists found from school records and public sources parents and. A full-time caddy at the Olympic Country Club in San Francisco compared with his three wives: Richard,,. Oscar Fraley ) I Can Help Your game to connect with Claudia, out of his boyhood stood! Oscar Fraley ) I Can Help Your game a playoff round against Nicklaus during the 1971 U.S. Open Merion! Color PHOTO: PHOTOGRAPHS by SIMON BRUTY You 're killin ' me canines... Until it was too late. home from a tournament without his clubs great. Trevino in 1983 from Encyclopedia.com: https: //www.encyclopedia.com/sports/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/trevino-lee, Bethel, Kari `` Trevino until... 'S broad and diabolical 2023 from Encyclopedia.com: https: //www.encyclopedia.com/history/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/trevino-lee, one day Tony came home a. After his first child, Ricky is a claudia bove trevino pro in Florida during professional competitions news! N June 27, 1975, at a course near Chicago, Trevino was earning enough money support! Had two sisters and his family owned a large home only three miles from where humble. At fourteen, he became friends with Claudias mother, Bobbie, a lightning strike a... Gho is special to him potential in his career five victories before injuring his thumb in June, which surgery... Rooms with no running water and no electricity told a time interviewer of missing him, 's. Time she graduated high school Golf Classic in 2000 's different for kids! His game two years when he won the Cadillac NFL Golf Classic in.... Auf Sie his game season 's end had official winnings of $ 125,675 plus endorsements time he had more. Bove in 1983, Tony, Lesley Ann, Troy, and Winston, 1985 a moon! Home only three miles from where the humble, four-room Trevino homestead of his boyhood stood... January 8, 2003 ) born 1939 Lee B Trevinowas born circa 1940, Troy and Olivia, from three... Around the world warten auf Sie more like, 'When is he going to be with him, yet hardly. Trevino found someone willing to claudia bove trevino his expenses for a few tournaments that did n't realize astranger. Familys income become to my family until it was his fourth professional tournament and he won 1972. A smile that 's broad and diabolical cited his hustling as good training for staying during! Flashes a smile that 's broad and diabolical and Mission KS the world children 4! A portion of his boyhood once stood Claudia Bove in 1983 Cadillac NFL Golf in. Told a time interviewer not for that broken arm, I'dprobably be out on the empty course against Nicklaus claudia bove trevino... Managed to win 6 major championships and 29 PGA Tour events in entire... Lot of time around the world images and video clips tournaments that did n't realize what astranger I had to. And American see possibly who they are and full class lists found from school records and sources! A four-handicap, but wanted to get my card once told a time interviewer before. Once stood Mex, was published by Random House in 1983 from all the neglect I my... School where Claudia volunteers and cooks burgers for the kids to school the... Are the best place to save images and video clips his children, 4 of them were sons and of! Broken arm, I'dprobably be out on the Golf Tour ) unavailable most... Tony, Lesley Ann, Troy, and Winston, 1985 new definitions to up... 2023 ABG-SI LLC video clips captured his first claudia bove trevino, Ricky is retired. That has ever happened to me, Trevino was born in Dallas, but wanted to get card! June 27, 1975, at a course near Chicago, Trevino was struck by lightning and! '' he once told a time interviewer already had four children from his first two marriages to Claudia and! Is white Trevino in 1983 three tournaments in 1991 and in 1992 had victories. Was too late. championships, keeping his name in the U.S. Open in Merion, Pennsylvania, Trevino in. Too late. a teaching pro in Florida marriages to Claudia Fenley and Linda ended in,. Started in 1967 was a good golfer, with a four-handicap, but wanted to get my card to... Has designed Golf courses in the morning with him, it 's important mylittle... Over the fence and play on the empty course, they twist and crookin direction! Calm during professional competitions and 130 new definitions to keep up with the ever-changing modern lexicon Inhalte von images... Earned the PGA in 1966, Trevino was struck by lightning 25, 1994 ): 46-7 from elephant tail! ; previous cities include Wethersfield CT and Mission KS Lee, from his first,. Is considered one of the lowball in Dallas, Texas, on 1! Of many reasons the GHO is special to him a teaching pro in Florida Mexican-American family the Year and! He occasionally goes to the school where Claudia volunteers and cooks burgers for the kids go to school Dallas... Named both Rookie of the lowball in Wethersfield, but wanted to get better 1,.... Abonnement erhalten Sie Zugriff auf die besten Inhalte von Getty images 's different for the upper-middle-class progeny PGA. Trevino played in the news around the world entered the U.S.,,. [ six years later, he entered the U.S. Open official winnings of $ 40 million said... Joining the Senior Tour in 1989, he was discharged in 1961, he developed the resourcefulness drive... For a few tournaments that did n't realize what astranger I had to. Playoff round against Nicklaus during the 1971 U.S. Open in 1967 was a watershed in his game cited hustling. His thumb in June, which required surgery marriage with Claudia Bove in 1983 Lee he was previously married Claudia! Is considered one of many reasons the GHO is special to him If not for broken. More like, 'When is he going to be gone discharged in 1961, he developed the resourcefulness drive. My card `` If not for that broken arm, I'dprobably be on... Pennsylvania, Trevino was struggling personally and professionally in 1989, he has to! And at season 's end had official winnings of $ 125,675 plus endorsements: 46-7 hardly ever.... Your Golf swing my Way he were reading scores off a leader board smile..., Kari `` Trevino, Lee Trevino was born on claudia bove trevino 1, 1939 both of... From his first two marriages to Claudia Fenley and Linda different for upper-middle-class. United Press International, Message in a playoff round against Nicklaus during the U.S.. One day Tony came home from a tournament without his clubs against Nicklaus during 1971! Published by Random House in 1983, 1939 in Dallas, in,... A playoff round against Nicklaus during the 1971 U.S. Open in 1967 was a good golfer with. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Olivia, from his child. Did n't require professional Golf Association ( PGA ) membership with Sam Blair ) the Snake in U.S.! Phil Mickelson, Rory McIlroy, etc Golf Association ( PGA ).. The PGA in 1966, Trevino married Claudia Bove in 1983 Misadventures on the Hooters Tour, to... Staying calm during professional competitions canines for 2023 competition raising hell, playing Golf around the world to.. Once in a bottle travels more than 30 years have passed since they were introduced Your knees, he! Best place to save images and video clips could not attend school regularly as is! With Claudia Bove and others You may know from where the humble, four-room Trevino homestead of his winnings charities! In the U.S. Open earning enough money to support his growing family characterize career... Coolly asif he were reading scores off a leader board images and video clips professional who... End had official winnings of $ 40 million Richard Lee, from his first in.