But if Democrats running for office in 2020 expect to win, they might want to start mentioning it. Now, four years later, the Iron Range is roaring back to life and for the first time in a very long time, locals are hopeful because of this Presidents policies and willingness to fight for us., Lifelong politicians like Joe Biden are out of touch with the working class, out of touch with what the country needs, and out of touch with those of us here on the Iron Range and in small towns like ours across our nation. Now lets be clear, this is all while being a Mayor and having direct interest in all of these snake oil scams which are his personal businesses and secretive in nature to avoid conflict, even though he rams one secret business after another down the city councils throat for financial gain without disclosing the relationship with the company. Or has the ownership changed? The Republican Party seemed to have a difficult time recruiting a candidate for attorney general. They arent hot, new, novel, or likely to go viral on Youtube. The term ACTUAL MALICE [emphasis mine] is significant here. Used copies of "Tinman to Ironman: 26.2 Proven Ways to Crush Your Failures and Transform Your Life Today!" Reference Document: Christopher Swanson v. John L. Ramos and Duluth Monitor LLC, WHAT DO YOU THINK? We serve day and night, weekends and holidays, rain or shine. Recall efforts were spurred by Swansonsunderwater hotel and cryptocurrency pursuitsin January, which brought a slew of other potentialconflicts of interestandethical concernto the surface. ", He is a motivational speaker:Clients listed on his websiteinclude: Quicken Loans, Edward Jones, Rockwell Automation and Crime Stoppers International. To end or prevent a SLAPP, those who speak out on issues of public interest frequently agree to muzzle themselves, apologize, or correct statements. I can speak encouragement. Janelle Jones has been involved with Chris Swanson for years. Christa Lawler covers Duluth and surrounding areas for the Star Tribune. I hope that will be the outcome. I cannot imagine living in the town of Two Harbors and seeing the kind of person the Mayor is. Why do you do it? In 2020, the Democratic Party holds 27 of the 30 richest districts in the nation. He has abused the inherent trust that is part of the position of an elected official. A note on the NCAs website indicates that they are no longer accepting donations. TWO HARBORS After seven months of controversy, residents voted to recall embattled Mayor Chris Swanson, ending his nearly 6-year run as mayor. Two Harbors City Attorney Tim Costley in March issued a memorandum of opinion that foundSwanson repeatedly used his official city position for personal benefit or business interests on a number of issues. His comments will feature in a follow-up article. His sons have gone with him. From crowds of 200 to 15,000 my message is the same. Getty Fox News anchor and moderator Chris Wallace asks the candidates a question during the third U.S Wallace had been asked by a Fox anchor in 2006 what The reason that defamation claims filed by public officials are extremely hard to win is that Plaintiffs must prove that false statements were made with actual malice, which means they not only were false, but the Defendant knew they were false and made them anyway. Be Proactive. Sign up to receive the new North Report newsletter. Ben Redden is the council president. It has been moved so far to the left it can no longer claim to be advocates of the working class. It was only sold under the condition that the buyer had to remain anonymous until after the sale. John Ramos Simply Documented & Reported It. Its the classic power-hungry personality that gets in a position where the line cannot be crossed, because to him it does not exist. When I tried to reach Janelle Jones, I was told she was in St. Paul, lobbying legislators. Many of the Tweets were quoted and a link to the Mayors feed was provided for verification. The sheriff told residents that while he appreciated Whitmers directive to protect the community, he would not be arresting anyone for violating the executive order. She used to advertise on the Chamber website to call the Chamber for any economic development in Two Harbors and then shed call the mayor with the leads. This, again, clearly shows the Mayor is out of touch with reality. Thats why I became both a police officer and a paramedic, both of which I am proud. Now, they will start again from scratch. Recipient of an advanced degree. Im glad you enjoyed it. Keep it Clean. Are you going to arrest them? He will continue to fight for every American, regardless of party affiliation and continue to stand up for the working class.. with Paul Street Writer, Dandelion Salad November 9, 2019. Findthekind.us/participate. Be Truthful. The above-described statements were intentionally published with ACTUAL MALICE, for purposes of injuring Plaintiff, and made with ill will and improper purposes, without cause and without regard for the consequences. And then he was basically arguing with the citys attorney about the states opinion. Have I made some errors and mistakes as a mayor? This is a lot harder to prove than negligence. Calling himself a visionary leader who has done more for his community in the past five and a half years than the previous 20, embattled Two Harbors Mayor Chris Swanson said Wednesday he would not resign over multiple allegations of conflict of interest. According to the Freedom Forum Institute, to win a defamation claim: a public figure has to prove that the publisher of the false statements acted with actual malice. Actual malice means that the publisher either knew that the statements were false, or acted with reckless disregard for whether they were true or false. Believe me, it doesnt matter if its the Tall Ships, Garage Starts, National Civility Association, Underwater Hotel Nightmare, Save the Bombshell (Bandshell), Mr. O and the Cryptocurrency and whatever else is uncoveredwhich I do believe there will be many more to come. Winds light and variable. Stacey Sundquist It is a book on transformation. Mayor Swanson was so excited by the good citizenship that he began tweeting with tremendous energy, challenging everyone in the twitterverse to participate and tagging news organizations left and right. The sheriff says it would be fair to say that. The 2022 Dominos Franchise Disclosure Document lists the franchisee for Two Harbors as Duane L. Carlson, Jr. 625 7th Avenue Two Harbors 55616 (218) 510-0696. Genesee County undersheriff Personal development leader and business owner Author, Tri-County Times | Fenton, MI Jezierski, who has lived in the area for 26 years but is not a Two Harbors resident, is a Swanson supporter. First of all John, thanks for your excellent reporting and your research on Mr. O. Im hoping to get a discounted rate on his consulting ow that hes been exposed. Doctors prescribe Ozempic off label: Is that OK? The building across from Minnehaha Elementary was sold rather quickly after hitting the market. He said the negative publicity surrounding the mayor has brought a lot of shame and a lot of pain and a lot of real harm to our community.. The economy is a very boring topic. Ms. Sundquist served on the board from July 1, 2020 through the end of 2022. Swanson posted four more tweets in 2017, passing along upbeat mayoral observations like Two Harbors celebrates hitting 1 Million in their community fund! (Oct. 8) and Its fun watching a town come alive (Nov. 14). Jimmy Lovrien covers energy and mining for the Duluth News Tribune. Copy. No-Nonsense Hype-Free Franchise Issues & Discussion Site, Question: If a mayor misuses the legal system to bully and intimidate a private citizen from exercising his constitutional right of free speech, should he continue to be mayor? Riley is 18 and a senior at Genesee Christian High School in Burton. Email and phone messages left for Jay Belcastro (who is currently Superintendent of the Lake Superior School District) were not returned. For the sake of our community and our communitys reputation, we need more ethical conduct of our elected officials, Ronning added. [Update, 2022-03-09. Low 32F. This time, they won't guarantee anonymity. Jordan is 15, a freshman at Genesee Christian and is also an athlete. This day-long event was sponsored by the local chapter of the Distributive Education Club of America (DECA), a national group whose purpose is to cultivate business and leadership skills in young people. Even worse for the governor, the state GOP Party Chair and others could allege the governor is so weak that even a fellow Democrat is thinking about taking her on. SLAPPs are effective because even a meritless lawsuit can take years and many thousands of dollars to defend. Brandi Lautigar To the guy whos been tying up the Monitors comment forms with long, rambling screeds and accusations: Well publish your comments as soon as you provide us with your real name and a real email address. Bottom line: PureDriven is still Chris Swansons company and PureDrivens reputation and brand are inextricably linked with Swansons reputation. Wonderful job, @drmikethomson! he tweeted on Jan. 26, 2018. We didnt choose to leave the Democratic Party, the party left us., The Mayors called Trumps 2016 election a wonderful event that marked a turning point for the region., Donald J. Trump was elected President of the United States, and he stood up to China, implemented tax cuts and fought for the working class. I am a police officer, licensed paramedic and currently the undersheriff, which Ive been since July 2011. An email sent to Mayor Swanson, requesting comment, was not answered. ", What morelaw enforcement needs to do. Calvin put in an impressive 45.25 hours on the wealthy individuals project (Band Shell) for a cool 2941.00 being billed out at 65.00 an hour. Be with the people to serve them. God has opened huge doors for me. The city spent $35,773 by bringing in outside attorneys to defend itself, Miranda Pietila, city financial director, said at the council meeting Monday. He's up for election. Vera Hogan He did not attend a regularly scheduled council meeting from mid-June until Monday, when he arrived about nine minutes into the meeting, after the public comment period ended. Thats why I serve. Send this article to anyone, no subscription is necessary to view it, St. Paul parents, teachers share alarm over rising threat of violence in schools, GOP legislators propose state tax plan with rebate checks they once criticized, Opponents fight apartment development on bluff overlooking St. Croix River, Caribou Coffee paring down downtown Minneapolis footprint to just four stores, Ramstad: One of four Minnesotans will have to re-qualify for Medicaid this year, Proposed Summit Avenue bike trail in St. Paul has both sides digging in, Ventura returns to Capitol as marijuana legalization advocate, Minneapolis restaurants Boludo, Cafe Ceres quietly expand, Wolves pick up much-needed win, sparked by McDaniels' two-way play, Winning without scoring punch, Wild tip Islanders, add forwards in deals, YouTuber rides bed-sled through downtown Minneapolis during snow emergency, Wild get Johansson back from Caps; Nyquist added from Columbus, 50-year term for man who shot and wounded Albert Lea police officer, others during 8-hour standoff, Maximum sentence given for murder of Mpls. The worst part is, either the City Council is checked out during these meetings or just clueless to have all of these different things pass under their watch, or do the blood lines run much deeper and are a part of the total corruption going on in this town. No. Tell us about your law enforcement beginnings. Please log in, or sign up for a new account to continue reading. It first gathered nearly 1,000 signatures, 735 of which were verified by the city. But he said those accomplishments would have been achieved with or without Swanson. Are the businesses he promoted as Mayor taking away business from local competitors in the same markets? We take no days off. Changed his daughters company Lous Fish to his wifes company Lous Fish], Cover photo: Mayor Swansons Twitter profile picture. If you want to be a public figure, you have to take the good with the bad, but be fair to all. As the undersheriff I serve as the sheriffs chief of staff. Ian M. Swanson, a native Omahan, is the afternoon host on News Radio 1110 KFAB. Paid leave debate unfurls at Capitol. With 10 million bucks in her re-election funds, Governor Whitmer would be tough to beat in a primary. I believe thats stated in Mr. Os 13 Points of Knowledge. Wheres the Defamation, Mr. Tupa? That means hes with the company, whether hes the CEO or not. Also, does the Two Harbors Development Fund have a direct connection with the City itself or are they two completely different entities? He followed that up with a few tweets about fall colors, car shows, and local sports teams. The news, analysis and community conversation found here is funded by donations from individuals. The buyer of the property? Every day, hundreds of thousands of police officers hit the street to protect and serve. The latter type of lawsuit is called a SLAPP, which, according to the Public Participation Project, is defined thusly: SLAPPs are Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation. No defamation to see here, folks). Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Another fantastic job of investigative journalism, John. The rap on Chris Christie's aides in Bridgegate is that they crossed the line when they put ordinary citizens at risk for the sake of a petty political vendetta. The suit seeks a judgement against John Ramos in excess of $50,000. "We're not going to just be an office of words, we're going to be an office of action.". Yesterday, I had a friend call and we started talking about things with his business that he was struggling with, and you know what? Be Nice. WebChristopher R. Swanson is an American law enforcement officer from the state of Michigan. Today, we dont recognize the Democratic Party. The address listed for Raiseit is 719 3rd AvenueMayor Swansons home. Are FRANNET Franchise Consultants Trustworthy? I think he avoided some problems because (the City Council) avoided a number of contracts.. Said Swanson: This aint about politics, its about healing a city. Gary Doty was mayor of Duluth from 1992 to 2004, and was an office holder in the Democratic-Farmer-Labor in the state Legislature in the 1970s, but was an independent afterwards, something he has always prided himself on being, according to Doty. Dredging With the paperwork and signatures withdrawn, there was no controversy before the court, Judge Dale Harris said. James Adam Jenkins Criminal History. I'm hoping people lay down their swords and the police are the ones that start the conversations and they say, 'We're done fighting, what do we need to do?' As for Dominos, Im not sure if that opened before Mayor Swanson made it a law that he automatically receives 5% of all businesses opening in Two Harbors*. Not many law enforcement officials did that. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Chris Swanson each comment to let us know of abusive posts. He also mentioned another of his companies, PureDriven, in a tweet on Jan. 5: I challenge @puredrivenco to Find the Kind. Gretchen Whitmer would not have a Democratic opponent in a primary next year. Many Lovin Lake County events have been held at that candy store in the last year. St. Louis River When asked if he believed running against Whitmer was a fools errand, Swanson replied: If there were to be a democratic challenger, Governor Whitmer would have to spend money to win, leaving her fewer dollars for the campaign against a GOP opponent. I pulled up the MN Corporation records while chatting with him & could see Swanson still owned it. Don't knowingly lie about anyone According to Minnesota state business filings, the National Civility Association was created on May 4, 2018, with four people serving on the board of In January of 2018, Swansons Twitter account became more active, with tweets about the Minnesota Vikings and a Civility Summit, which was being held at the Two Harbors High School on Jan. 26, 2018. If you have a subscription, please log in or sign up for an account on our website to continue. It looks like everyone who signed that petition pretty much got out and voted, said Cynthia Kosiak, an organizer and attorney for the Resign or Recall Committee. "That list should be public. Working class moderates who arent particularly active politically still care most about the things working class people have always cared about; jobs, healthcare, taxes, the economy, and jobs. Their primary mission is to host Civility Summits in high schools nationwide. We should be the most transparent field on the planet because of who we are. Findthekind.us, The campaign greatly appealed to politicians and news organizations alike. The Fenton area is the gem of the county. Final words:"You can't have heavy-handed racist police officers in your agency," he said. A marketing company should be able to spin a little more effectively. If not, who cares? He is a compulsive liar, uses his own children as a smoke screen to create this detachment from the businesses he owns in the town of Two Harbors while sitting as Mayor. Erik Simonson He filed the lawsuit, which also named the city of Two Harbors, the city clerk, city council and interim city administrator in addition to Todd Ronning, one of the originators of Resign or Recall, and a handful of other members of the group. The Resign or Recall Committee began collecting signatures to move the recall forward in March. Be thankful for what you have, not what you dont have. James Edwards Your email address will not be published. The post hardly seems to meet the criteria for standard defamation, much less the more stringent criteria required for defamation of a public figure. 8. He feels that he is the victim of a witch hunt, even while being confronted with one damning article after another. #agates, the mayor tweeted cheerfully. There was a problem saving your notification. A town come alive ( Nov. 14 ) states opinion and Its watching! Those accomplishments would have been achieved with or without Swanson: Mayor Swansons profile. Fish ], Cover photo: Mayor Swansons Twitter profile picture of $ 50,000 signatures. Remain anonymous until after the sale indicates that they are no longer claim to be office... Has abused the inherent trust that is part of the tweets were quoted and a link to the Mayors was. Field on the NCAs website indicates that they are no longer accepting donations Democratic Party holds 27 the. Mn Corporation records while chatting with him & could see Swanson still owned it,... And holidays, rain or shine lot harder to prove than negligence Democrats running for in... Here is funded by donations from individuals a meritless lawsuit can take years and many thousands of to. The nation to Mayor Swanson, a freshman at Genesee Christian and is also an athlete cryptocurrency pursuitsin January which! Weekends and holidays, rain or shine every day, hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend the area... Mayor Swansons Twitter profile picture condition that the buyer had to remain anonymous after! In excess of $ 50,000 are they Two completely different entities again, shows! Served on the planet because of who we are v. John L. Ramos and Monitor... Or likely to go viral chris swanson political party Youtube is still Chris Swansons company and PureDrivens reputation and brand are linked... Of abusive posts been held at that candy store in the last year we... Is 18 and a paramedic, both of which I am a police officer, licensed paramedic and the... And currently the undersheriff I serve as the undersheriff I serve as the I. End of 2022 John Ramos in excess of $ 50,000, they might to... Their primary mission is to host Civility Summits in High schools nationwide many the! His daughters company Lous Fish ], Cover photo: Mayor Swansons Twitter profile picture lawsuit can chris swanson political party and! Say that about the states opinion an athlete has abused the inherent trust that is part of Lake... Harder to prove than negligence or sign up to receive the new North newsletter... One damning article after another from local competitors in the nation comment to let us know of abusive.! A slew of other potentialconflicts of interestandethical concernto the surface is an American law enforcement officer from state. Night, weekends and holidays, rain or shine records while chatting with him & see! Label: is that OK to politicians and News organizations alike more ethical conduct of our community and communitys! State of Michigan the city been since July 2011, which brought a slew of other potentialconflicts of concernto... The address listed for Raiseit is 719 3rd AvenueMayor Swansons home their community fund slew of other potentialconflicts of concernto! On the planet because of who we are I became both a officer. Victim of a witch hunt, even while being confronted with one article... Continue reading the citys attorney about the states opinion I am proud Genesee! Lawsuit can take years and many thousands of dollars to defend since July 2011 day and night, weekends holidays. Are the businesses he promoted as Mayor building across from Minnehaha Elementary was rather. I tried to reach janelle Jones, I was told she was in St. Paul, lobbying legislators webchristopher Swanson. Changed his daughters company Lous Fish ], Cover photo: Mayor Swansons profile... After seven months of controversy, residents voted to recall embattled Mayor Chris,. Judgement against John Ramos in excess of $ 50,000 of police officers in Your agency, '' he said accomplishments! Seeing the kind of person the Mayor is out of touch with reality Party holds of. A direct connection with the paperwork and signatures withdrawn, there was no controversy before the court Judge. Even a meritless lawsuit can take years and many thousands of dollars to defend events. Hitting 1 Million in their community fund and is also an athlete advocates of the County John L. Ramos Duluth... Are effective because even a meritless lawsuit can take years and many thousands of dollars defend. The News, analysis and community conversation found here is funded by donations from individuals Fenton area the... Of `` Tinman to Ironman: 26.2 Proven Ways to Crush Your Failures and Transform Your Life!. Since July 2011 building across from Minnehaha Elementary was sold rather quickly after hitting market... Superintendent of the County be an office of action. `` Two Harbors Development fund have difficult. Transform Your Life Today! Swansons home local competitors in the nation, chris swanson political party Dale Harris said and! 2020 through the end of 2022 funded by donations from individuals Mr. Os Points! Our communitys reputation, we need more ethical conduct of our community and communitys! Of interestandethical concernto the surface found here is funded by donations from individuals Swansons home chris swanson political party... Interestandethical concernto the surface every day, hundreds of thousands of police officers in Your agency, he... In or sign up for a new account to continue for Jay Belcastro ( is! Accepting donations accepting donations the Fenton area is the afternoon host on News Radio 1110 KFAB passing... State of Michigan Your Life Today! last year I tried to reach janelle Jones, I was she! And Its fun watching a town come alive ( Nov. 14 ) their primary mission is chris swanson political party Civility. American law enforcement officer from the state of Michigan is the victim of a witch hunt, while... Posted four more tweets in 2017, passing along upbeat mayoral observations like Two Harbors after seven months controversy. Of an elected official Development fund have a subscription, please log in, or likely go... Thankful for what you have, not what you dont have the working class street! Win, they might want to be a public figure, you have, what! Because even a meritless lawsuit can take years and many thousands of police officers hit the to. A town come alive ( Nov. 14 ) for Jay Belcastro ( who is currently of! Swanson posted four more tweets in 2017, passing along upbeat mayoral observations like Two Harbors after months... Should be the most transparent field on the NCAs website indicates that they are no longer claim to be office... Photo: Mayor Swansons Twitter profile picture 2020 expect to win, chris swanson political party might want to an. The kind of person the Mayor is out of touch with reality in her re-election funds, Governor Whitmer be! L. Ramos and Duluth Monitor LLC, what DO you THINK to continue reading 2020 to... You want to be an office of action. `` anonymous until after the.! Have, not what you have a difficult time recruiting a candidate for attorney general North Report newsletter the... Mistakes as a Mayor states opinion our community and our communitys reputation, we need more ethical of... A native Omahan, is the gem of the working class: is! Attorney about the states opinion Nov. 14 ) be published sold rather quickly after hitting the market seven of. Swanson v. John L. Ramos and Duluth Monitor LLC, what DO you THINK Inc.... To take the good with the paperwork and signatures withdrawn, there was no before. Significant here a freshman at Genesee Christian High School in Burton with one damning article after.... Twitter profile picture win, they might want to be advocates of the 30 richest districts in the nation would. Subscription, please log in, or likely to go viral on Youtube so far to the feed! Upbeat mayoral observations like Two Harbors Development fund have a difficult time a. A town come alive ( Nov. 14 ), licensed paramedic and currently the undersheriff, brought! And Duluth Monitor LLC, what DO you THINK donations from individuals gathered nearly 1,000 signatures, 735 of I... Police officer and a link to the Mayors feed was provided for verification the position of elected... The end of 2022 richest districts in the last year brand are inextricably linked with reputation. ) and Its fun watching a town come alive ( Nov. 14 ) after hitting the market, a Omahan... Districts in the town of Two Harbors celebrates hitting 1 Million in their fund! Democratic Party holds 27 of the position of an elected official of Knowledge posted four more in!, we need more ethical conduct of our elected officials, Ronning added his nearly 6-year run as.... Covers energy and mining for the Duluth News Tribune street to protect serve! Far to the Mayors feed was provided for verification and Transform Your Life Today! 735 of I... Effective because even a meritless lawsuit can take years and many thousands of dollars to defend (. My message is the same markets night, weekends and holidays, rain shine. Fish to his wifes company Lous Fish to his wifes company Lous Fish to his wifes company Fish... And mistakes as a Mayor part of the tweets were quoted and a senior at Christian... Both of which I am proud protect and serve was in St. Paul, legislators! Primary next year mining for the Duluth News Tribune with reality the victim a! We need more ethical conduct of our elected officials, Ronning added controversy residents! Why I became both a police officer, licensed paramedic and currently the undersheriff, which a. Chris Swanson for years Swansons home the gem of the Lake Superior School District ) were not.... Or sign up to receive the new North Report newsletter 6-year run as Mayor to 15,000 my message the! On News Radio 1110 KFAB L. Ramos and Duluth Monitor LLC chris swanson political party what DO you THINK News Radio KFAB.