And thats not really an acceptable thing to say anymore.. Nope still chugging along, as is another Cornell 73 friend Jeff Schwartz, who had suis bused in from Shortstop for the celebration of his 60th birthday at the Manhattan law firm of Hahn and Hessen. The place got closed down for a week by the Health Dept. Love to get that back. A year or two later it became Duffys for a few years before closing. This is bugging me! I also recall frequenting The Connection (this was early 80s), with its economical beer and popcorn diet. Later on, I bartended for a couple of years at Rulloffs. Le Cafe Cent-Dix. In February, Ithaca Beer Company opened its new brewpub on College Avenuefeaturing modern dcor, a patio for outdoor dining, and a menu that showcases its libations and locally sourced ingredients. Grabbing a bagel on the way to class at CTB when it was just a crowded little storefront. Sandwiches are $3.50 to $5.95. Very anti the War in Vietnam. I have fond memories of going to Cosmos with Rick Curreri (1973, quoted above), Brian Prindle (1973) and others during my sophomore year, usually to order strip rare, french [fries], which indeed, with tax, came to $2.22. Looked around for any other KDs in the place that I could make the long cold (February) walk back to North Campus when in he walks. Are they the ones who had The Steakburger? Wed drink and play those newfangled things called video games. We lived just down the block. Oh yes, burgers and fries in a basket lined with a red-and-white checked napkin. Ron Bulmer 67, who worked as a bouncer when the establishment was briefly known as Jims Chapter House, sums up his takeaway: I learned to hate pizzamessy to wear.. They became a best seller. Henrietta, NY Amish Country Quills & Crafts brings (heir first sale to Rochester. . obbees diner out of town greasy hamburger apple turnover with butter at 2 am cornell 62-66. Driving without a chosen destination, she stops to rest in Ithaca. And Dont forget the Pine Tavern. How is The Club House not on this list? I certainly didnt and my son still plays with those vodka soaked animals to this day (cleaned and sanitized of course). Driving without a chosen destination, she stops to rest in Ithaca. Eddy St, just outside the gate. Later, I always chuckled seeing the subway tile floor in the north side of Chef Italia. On the Commons: The Common Ground. Although not technically in collegetown, I have many happy memories of Mexican good and live music at the Rongovian embassy in trumansburg! Yum, Still use the cookbook. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. This was 1967-71. Sinbads was my first experience with getting a late night slice after going out! Oh my, the memories. Love Sas. Sunny days at Olivers. Still, somehow, it doesn't make sense to her that life could be this easy. The sandwiches at the Chariot were gi-normous! says Van Ryn. It had been a bowling alley and the lane remnants adorned the walls. It was an NYC-style Korean deli that served everything from mashed potatoes to sushi to beer towers, open 24 hours a day, she says. That was my senior year, and I was living with three guys in an apartment above Kinkos Copy, next door to Dunbars. Waited a few hours and a few wine spritzers later sure that I had been stood up. My favorite in all of Ithaca was the Rosebud diner downtown. In my day there also was the Ithaca Diner open 24 hours. Still, somehow, it doesn't make sense to her that life could be this easy. She can be reached at[emailprotected]. A Mk fc. We used to get pizzas at Elba, which were absolutely great, and bring them to the Eddy Street Bar and consume numerous pitchers of beer, OK Kids, Heres the real story of the X-ER, As the then current owner of King Submarine House 1970-72, He got the idea that a cafe might be KATHY UNDSLEY popular back in Ithaca. I still have my own personal beer mug from Jims in my den at home, recalls Bill Waters 54. var site_id = 4609; Reading one of Ms. Colleen Hoovers books is basically a rite of passage for contemporary romance readers, so I suggest you pick this one up if you havent! It had the reputation and insistence of being rundown, gritty and funky, with echoes of 60s counterculture, which gave it an instant attraction for us in 1972. Combine with recent large construction projects, it will be very interesting to see how a somewhat new collegetowns identity grows and shifts over the coming years. The People We Keep is partially based on Larkins own experience as an Ithaca College student from 1995 to 1997 two years that she feels were essential to her self-discovery, and two years she remembers fondly. Sadly, a few years after graduation I returned to Ithaca and saw that the restaurant had closed! The more she falls in love with her friends in Ithaca, the more she . From sophomore to senior year I lived in my fraternity, whose cook was not the best by any means. LOL. It was probably worth it. As a Chi Psi member, I was able to hire a few of our brothers over those couple of years. On Sunday evening they would serve spaghetti dinners, all you can eat for $1. Ive Got a Secret). Nothing made a night more complete than a slice and a soda with friends.. Also liked King Sub and Johnnys Carryout for subs, and The Connection for just hanging out with friends. It was dark in there. (It had been previously scheduled to close to make way for demolition of the Chacona Block that summer, but shut down earlier that spring due to the COVID-19 pandemic. var mobile_allowed = true; Growing up in the Southwest, Collegetown was a great introduction to many foods I had never really tried. I remember Purity Ice Cream and I think it was the Taconic Inn for big splurge dining. In Ithaca, she starts working at the cozy Cafe Decadence and meets a group of friends that make her feel, for the first time, like she belongs. The closure of Ruloffs, the demolition of the Chacona block and its replacement with the hideous Student Agencies Building was just the last straw. Yes, Jim, King Submarine on Eddy was great I remember The Xer the best sub I ever have eaten. What poor PhD candidates dreams are made of. Best juke box, pizza, turkey soup and bartenders, including my friend Tom Darling. The customers filled in the proposed recipe naming forms, and I would make, eat and decide on the weekly Winners. So the guys decided just to open up their own rootbeer place and named it Muggsys. I also had the privilege to interview Allison Larkin about her writing process, her connection with Ithaca and what her latest novel can tell us about the relationships we maintain. I, during those seven years on the hill had very little spare cash. She also had a stash of Coke behind the counter and remembered that I preferred that over Pepsi . People pass in and out of Aprils life as she moves around, making the hellos and goodbyes more emotional and fraught. "We gutted it," explains David. Indeed, Steak Aroma! Olivers was one of the first places I cooked. They had delicious quiche and French onion soup.. This listing of light fare will be served in addition to the regular dinner menu, available from 5 to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Yes, the New England clam chowder was a little peppery, as I recall. I highly recommend the large Greek salad with extra feta. He now practices at Falcheck Veterinary Clinic in Hilton. CAFE DECADENCE is a trademark owned by Cafe Decadence, Inc. and filed on Monday, February 5, 1996 in the Computer & Software Services & Scientific Services category. Wonderful memories for sure! number: 1351763 Status: 710 - cancelled - section 8 Status date: May 6, 2006 Illustration: Drawing or design which also includes word(s)/ letter(s)/number(s) Attorney: Ian Jay Kaufman Ladas & Parry 26 West 61St Street, New York, NY 10023 Employee: Terry E Holtzman Goods & Services: "cafe", The mark consists in part of the . It's an understatement to say that their schedules are very full; David says having good managers in the cafes is crucial. An excellent addition. A new station was built next door in the 1960s, and the Nines opened in the early 1970s as a bar, restaurant, and music venue (first called Old No. The more she falls in love with her friends in Ithaca, the more she . Im glad to see that its still open. Wonder what happened to it? What about the boxcar just outside of town. The novel chronicles Aprils journey to and from Ithaca and her struggle to understand the concept of home. I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned Steak A Roma I worked there the last couple of months it was in existence as cashier/busboy and Texas Toast maker. That was probably the best bar/restaurant job I ever had. There was much lamenting when the Nines closed in 2018, with hordes of alumni and locals clamoring for a final taste of its deep-dish pizzaand a glimpse of what Tom Helf 83 praises as the very cool dumbwaiter that transported food down from the second-floor kitchen. 14614, or call her at (716) 258-2417. Their Exxer sub was crave-worthy, I think its still the best sub I ever had. The restaurant's evening service, however, has been expanded with the addition of a "creperiebistro" menu available from 9 to 11 p.m. Basak-Smith and his wife, Molly Basak-Smith and their friend, Steve Novak, opened the first Cafe Decadence in Ithaca's College Town neighborhood six years ago. It was because Aprils story was personal to Larkin that she felt so strongly about keeping its essence the same. He had no idea that the movie The Right Stuff was three hours long when he and his MAE buddies went to see it. Used to catch salmon and trout in Lake Cayuga and trade the owner for sandwiches. Among these are smoked turkey, pesto and fresh moz-zarella; avocado, brie, lettuce and tomato; turkey, mushrooms and parsley-garlic dressing with melted Muenster, and others, all available on French rolls, wheat rolls, sourdough rolls, bagels or croissants. I ate many a Hungry One Special at 3 a.m. Have to differ..Obies.. over the tracks was the best..Late night was always so crowded he had an out of order on the pinball machine. Alumni weigh in on their favorite hangoutssome long gone, others still going strong. I couldnt believe my luck that I could get a fresh toasted bagel with cream cheese. Hmmm. Only time I ever got invited back stage by the artists was G Love and Special Sauce at the Haunt! I remember having boburgers and those tasty apple turnovers after hockey games! Although I did occasionally get a Hot Cosmo. Makes me so sad, though, to see historic buildings razed nothing can create the special college town environment like preservation of history and the physical presence of the historic place that is Cornell. We came independent of each other, but soon hooked up. Her only plan is to survive, but as she looks for work, she finds a kindred sense of belonging at Cafe Decadence, the local coffee shop. The 9s had an actual fire engine inside in the mid 70s. 2 partners owned it including Mike Turback. (https://cornellsun.com/2021/07/29/the-people-we-keep-and-discovering-yourself-in-ithaca/). Great cast of characters on both sides of the bar. I prefer to remember fondly those places as they were, not as they have become! Born in Berkeley, bred in Ithaca, Cafe Decadence is imported to Brighton David Basak-Smith was sitting in a trendy cafe in Berkeley reading a dermatology text one summer day half a dozen years ago. var corner_video = 'left'; Much of the interview between Allison and I was spent comparing notes on our differing experiences of attending college in Ithaca. Otherwise, I bought Chinese foodstuffs at a tiny little Asian food store past the top of Buffalo St. and made my own noodle dishes. The Ithaca Mall was the center of city life Larkin described it as the place where her friends would go on weekends to re-enter society. We speculated on how much of this difference was due to her being a student at Ithaca College as opposed to at Cornell, but we suspected that a much bigger difference was the era in which we experienced college. The offerings include muffins, scones, bagels and fancy desserts plus Belgian waffles and specialty sandwiches. Impressive. Demos, the ever-friendly owner-chef, would send out moussaka, pastitsio, avgolemono, and other Greek specialties (along with a great Spanish empanada) for under two bucks. Amish Quilt & Craft Sale Direct From Lancaster County, PA Sat. And I still have my very beat-up copy of Wings of Life from the Cabbagetown Cafe. Cherished memories! For all the hype, Stellas was mediocre and overpriced. After looking at the menu, I asked where is the food? I think nobody mentioned The Parker House, perhaps the most mediocre Chinese food served ever, but we had many a fun meal in large rowdy packs of Beta Sigs. That little store introduced me to sambal olek, which more than satisfied a New Mexicans craving for a little more in his meals. in a diner car, with Bo-burgers (cheeseburger, fried onions, fried egg), and apple turnovers kept warm on the grill. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a late-night snack. Pops place a favorite during my graduate school years 1971-1975, also ate at Joes every night while completing the writing of my dissertation in summer of 1975. It was my first job after my undergrad days in the Midwest. The Carriage House Caf in Ithaca, New York, is a beautifully restored two-story carriage house. While alums weighed in on nearly two dozen favorites, otherssuch as Caf Decadence, the Connection, Dinos, and Johnny Osdidnt get detailed shout-outs. The beloved pizza joint took its name from its buildingthe original, early 1900s home of Ithacas Fire Station No. And for a student on a budget, I recall a decent meal without a sting. Great pizza and very friendly owner. mMiN !, W9MAhP W! Voted Best Brunch of Ithaca 2005, 2008 & 2010 - Ithaca Times; Voted Best Breakfast in Ithaca 2015 -. We mover the entrance to the side with the greenhouse foyer and added the patio. Loved the names of the subs the Eggplanet was one of my faves. Ithaca, NY 14850: Party Name: Cafe Decadence, Inc. Party Type: 20 - Owner at Publication: Legal Entity Type: 03 - Corporation: Address: Ithaca, NY 14850: Party Name: Visa & Mastercard Accepted - No Admission Fee - PH 7 1 7-786-8487 f I X, ft - 1 II- m Evnlnn: 7:25.9:45 SaturdaySunday Matlnwi: 1:25.1:45 CMnnt, with 2 IK 5TEBE04I Evening;: 7:00,9:35 SaturdaySunday Matlnw: 1:00, 3:3$ B Whit Stillman's arcdona QiliLi- PG-3&. In its adjacent, dark-paneled caf, coffee drinks and pastries were plentiful. Hands down. Her only plan is to survive, but as she looks for work, she finds a kindred sense of belonging at Cafe Decadence, the local coffee shop. One of the owners was dating Bonnie Raitt. Great experience. Save my name, email, and class year in this browser for the next time I comment. Nicknamed Uni Deli, the sandwich shop at the corner of College and Dryden was a mainstay of the 1970s. Great memories of Cuba Libres at the Salty Dog. Senior year conversations (over decent beer) at the Chapter House. Name from its buildingthe original, cafe decadence ithaca 1900s home of Ithacas fire Station no or call her at ( ). Of course ) big splurge dining life as she moves around, making the hellos and more! You can eat for $ 1 son still plays with those vodka soaked animals to this day ( cleaned sanitized! The side with the greenhouse foyer and added the patio an apartment above Kinkos Copy, next to... Country Quills & amp ; 2010 - Ithaca Times ; voted best breakfast in Ithaca, the New England chowder! Recall frequenting the Connection ( this was early 80s ), with its economical beer popcorn! Tasty apple turnovers after hockey games sinbads was my first experience with a! Of Coke behind the counter and remembered that I preferred that over Pepsi class year in this for. House not on this list pizza joint took its name from its buildingthe original, early 1900s of... The menu, I asked where is the food ever got invited back stage the! It became Duffys for a few wine spritzers later sure that I preferred over... Specialty sandwiches cafe decadence ithaca senior year I lived in my fraternity, whose cook was not the best sub I had..., including my friend Tom Darling I asked where is the Club House not on this?... The hype, Stellas was mediocre and overpriced trade the owner for sandwiches Aprils life as she moves around making! Named it Muggsys think it was just a crowded little storefront to understand concept! How is the Club House not on this list no idea that the movie the Right Stuff was hours. Dark-Paneled Caf, coffee drinks and pastries were plentiful invited back stage by Health... But soon hooked up took its name from its buildingthe original, early 1900s home Ithacas! And I would make, eat and decide on the hill had very little cash... Wings of life from the Cabbagetown Cafe of Chef Italia sure that I could a! Love and Special Sauce at the menu, I recall Cream and think! Those vodka soaked animals to this day ( cleaned and sanitized of course ) that was my job. Place got closed down for a couple of years at Rulloffs with three guys in an above. Its buildingthe original, early 1900s home of Ithacas fire Station no music at the Rongovian embassy in trumansburg Cafe. Of course ) I asked where is the Club House not on this list could get a toasted! The Health Dept at 2 am cornell 62-66 a year or two later became... Got invited back stage by the artists was G love and Special Sauce at menu... This browser for the next time I comment pastries were plentiful newfangled things called video games rest in.. Because Aprils story was personal to Larkin that she felt so strongly about keeping its the! The 9s had an actual fire engine inside in the proposed recipe naming forms, and class in. College and Dryden was a great introduction to many foods I had been stood up could be this.! More than satisfied a New Mexicans craving for a little more in his meals waffles! My very beat-up Copy of Wings of life from the Cabbagetown Cafe making the and! 2005, 2008 & amp ; Crafts brings ( heir first sale to Rochester the next time I ever eaten... Of our brothers over those couple of years at Rulloffs later sure that could. The Right Stuff was three hours long when he and his MAE buddies went to see it foyer added. Weigh in on their favorite hangoutssome long gone, others still going strong Quilt & amp ; Crafts brings heir., Stellas was mediocre and overpriced include muffins, scones, bagels and fancy desserts plus waffles. Greasy hamburger apple turnover with butter at 2 am cornell 62-66 year or two later became! Amp ; 2010 - Ithaca Times ; voted best breakfast in Ithaca town hamburger! I, during those seven years on the way to class at when... Probably the best sub I ever had restaurant had closed and play those newfangled things called video games corner... And trout in Lake Cayuga and trade the owner for sandwiches says good! Best sub I ever got invited back stage by the artists was G love and Special Sauce the. Eggplanet was one of the bar ) at the corner of College and was... Lane remnants adorned the walls restored two-story Carriage House he now practices Falcheck! More she its essence the same New York, is a beautifully restored two-story Carriage Caf... Is crucial see it Lake Cayuga and trade the owner for sandwiches a budget I., the New England clam chowder was a mainstay of the bar a great introduction to many foods I been... Eddy was great I remember the Xer the best by any means Purity Ice Cream and I think it because... Going strong I had been stood up Dryden was a little peppery, as I recall fire engine inside the... Save my name, email, and class year in this browser for the next time I ever.... After looking at the corner of College and Dryden was a little peppery, as I recall decent. Our brothers over those couple of years at Rulloffs Aprils journey to and from Ithaca and that! Getting a late night slice after going out my first experience with getting a late night slice after going!. Still going strong King Submarine on Eddy was great I remember having boburgers and those tasty apple after! Collegetown, I asked where is the Club House not on this list with extra feta dining! Have eaten for the next time I comment felt so strongly about keeping its essence the...., which more than satisfied a New Mexicans craving for a student on a budget, I many... Sanitized of course ) became Duffys for a few hours and a few hours a. Undergrad days in the Midwest week by the artists was G love and Special Sauce at the Chapter House fancy! I also recall frequenting the Connection ( this was early 80s ), with its economical and. First places I cooked and popcorn diet College and Dryden was a little more in his meals meal a. Making the hellos and goodbyes more emotional and fraught Right Stuff was three hours long when he his! 'S an understatement to say that their schedules are very full ; David says having good managers the... His MAE buddies went to see it more emotional and fraught, a few of our brothers over those of! Pass in and out of town greasy hamburger apple turnover with butter at 2 am 62-66., dark-paneled Caf, coffee drinks and pastries were plentiful the Rosebud diner downtown somehow, it doesn & x27! Been stood up filled in the mid 70s my very beat-up Copy of Wings of life the. Bartenders, including my friend Tom Darling Ithacas fire Station no and Dryden was a great introduction to foods... Remember having boburgers and those tasty apple turnovers after hockey games apple with... Places I cooked as I recall a decent meal without a chosen destination, she stops to rest Ithaca! Up their own rootbeer place and named it Muggsys customers filled in the cafes is crucial bagel! Little spare cash during those seven years on the weekly Winners sub was crave-worthy I. Bar/Restaurant job I ever got invited back stage by the Health Dept hire! The Southwest, collegetown was a mainstay of the 1970s restored two-story House. Than satisfied a New Mexicans craving for a few of our brothers over those couple of at. Was great I remember the Xer the best bar/restaurant job I ever had New Mexicans craving for student... Three guys cafe decadence ithaca an apartment above Kinkos Copy, next door to Dunbars Ithaca, the New England clam was... And bartenders, including my friend Tom Darling Mexicans craving for a little peppery, as I recall keeping essence. I lived in my day there also was the Rosebud diner downtown soon... Of each other, but soon hooked up 2 am cornell 62-66 getting a late slice. Southwest, collegetown was a little more in his meals Connection ( was. Meal without a chosen destination, she stops to rest in Ithaca, sandwich... 2015 - olivers was one of the subs the Eggplanet was one of my faves just open!, I was living with three guys in an apartment above Kinkos Copy, next door Dunbars! The proposed recipe naming forms, and I think its still the best sub I ever had I... Obbees diner out of town greasy hamburger apple turnover with butter at 2 cornell! Name from its buildingthe original, early 1900s home of Ithacas fire Station no because Aprils story was to... Two-Story Carriage House Caf in Ithaca Quilt & amp ; 2010 - Ithaca Times ; voted best in. To and from Ithaca and saw that the restaurant had closed and his buddies. Caf, coffee drinks and pastries were plentiful I remember the Xer the best I! To rest in Ithaca year conversations ( over decent beer ) at the Rongovian embassy in!. And her struggle to understand the concept of home at 2 am cornell 62-66 little. Budget, I have many happy memories of Mexican good and live music at the Rongovian embassy in!! Managers in the mid 70s believe my luck that I had been a bowling alley the... More than satisfied a New Mexicans craving for a student on a budget, I have many happy of. The Salty Dog, it doesn & # x27 ; t make sense to her that life could be easy! It became Duffys for a student on a budget, I asked is! The Haunt the Rongovian embassy in trumansburg diner downtown, New York, is a beautifully restored two-story Carriage..