I dont want you making any decisions to leave here before I leave.. DETROIT The Catholic High School League's lineup of boys basketball champions dating back to 1926, when the league was founded, welcomed its latest additions Friday evening, a pair of longtime teams who hadn't achieved such a lofty stature since a long time ago. West takes back the reins of the Falcons hoopster contingent from a retiring Benny White, who helmed the program for the past four years after taking it over from West back in 2018. And it was just time to get the emotion going after that.". Student Drop-Off / Pick-Up and Visitor Parking, Specialized Instruction & Student Services, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). The Falcons entered play one game back of co-leaders Troy and West Bloomfield, but dealt the Colts a blow to potentially complicate the divisions end game with just a week remaining in the regular season. 2023 www.hometownlife.com. Were some mad that he started some freshmen over some seniors? Birmingham Groves boys basketball gets first OAA-White win in West's return to the bench The Falcons went on a 17-0 run in the fourth quarter to earn a comeback win over Lake Orion. This season, Alabama's steal percentage sits at 8%, ranking 279th. On 2/17, the Groves varsity basketball team lost their away conference game against Lake Orion (MI) by a score of 51-44. 2023 www.hometownlife.com. While playing at Groves, he would lead the Falcons to League Championships in 1977 & 78 and an 18-10 record in his three years on varsity. "I knew what I had to do for my team," said Yelder, who scored a team-best 16 points. (r=(t=i[n]).getAttribute("data-secret")))r=Math.random().toString(36).substr(2,10),t.src+="#?secret="+r,t.setAttribute("data-secret",r);if(s||a)(e=t.cloneNode(!0)).removeAttribute("security"),t.parentNode.replaceChild(e,t);t.contentWindow.postMessage({message:"ready",secret:r},"*")}}}}(window,document); The Colts (15-5) were led offensively Friday by sophomore Mason Parkers 19 points, with junior Jon Whiteside adding 16 points, senior Zach Penoza scoring 12, and junior Chase Kuiper chipping in with 10. The District prohibits harassment and other forms of discrimination whether occurring at school, on District property, in a District vehicle, or at any District related activity or event. MomentsMomentsMoments, current page. These statistics for 2020-21 from . Tom Flynn had a discussion with me and said, I plan on being here another five years, and I want you here, Simpkins said. All Football High Schools Class A (Football) Division 2 Oakland Activities Association - White. Both Groves AD Tom Flynn, as well as principal Dr. Susan Smith were reached out to multiple times for a response to Simpkins allegations, but Groves declined comment in a statement from Executive Director of Communications and Family Engagement Anne Cron. The Hope College women's tennis team swept both doubles matches and won four of five singles matches to grab their second win of the season. And it could've been a loss had the Falcons' newfound culture not prevailed late in the second half. Hey, you yell at your kids too much." Coach Simpkins (@Tocoachisahonor) July 1, 2021. In some ways, he never fully left in the first place. . Fax 248-203-3636. (r=(t=i[n]).getAttribute("data-secret")))r=Math.random().toString(36).substr(2,10),t.src+="#?secret="+r,t.setAttribute("data-secret",r);if(s||a)(e=t.cloneNode(!0)).removeAttribute("security"),t.parentNode.replaceChild(e,t);t.contentWindow.postMessage({message:"ready",secret:r},"*")}}}}(window,document); Photo gallery from Troy at Birmingham Groves in, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Photo gallery from Troy at Birmingham Groves in OAA White boys basketball action, No. Groves won, 70-60. West, who will continue to teach. After Groves started on a 4-0 run, Lake Orion dominated play in the paint, whether that was drives to the hoops, put-backs or drawing fouls near the blocks. Yes Skip to content HomeHomeHome, current page. 3 North Farmington uses third-quarter explosion to end Ferndales OAA Red reign New everything. Josh Gibson with 20pts, John Simpson 14, Jack Abbot 13, Paige Williams had 10. We happened to hit a couple of shots there to get us on a run in the fourth quarter. He expected some pushback as the new philosophy would be a bit of a shellshock for those in the program, sending players involved in the varsity program to JV or to the bench. Simpkins has been actively pursuing getting a new coaching job at the high school level, but is finding his experience at Groves to be a roadblock. Hunter Dyke | The Ann. Last year, the Hawks were ranked among the top 20 nationally in NJCAA Division II before finishing with a 23-8 record and earning an honorable mention ranking. Simpkins took over a Groves team that went 10-11 in the 2019-20 season before losing in the opening round of the district tournament. On 1/31, the Groves varsity basketball team won their away conference game against Troy (MI) by a score of 66-57. The parent responded, thanking her for the conversation while telling Smith, "if this coach finds out that I spoke with you before the season ends it will be some type of retaliation and my child already comes home in tears" every day. The Falcons finished the 2021 season9-9 andearnedtheir first district title since 1988 after beating Southfield Arts and Technology and Berkley in the playoffs. He comes to Groves after 7years at Bishop Foley High School. Even more impressive, an almost all-black team had done it, coached by a black man, Will Robinson. State Tourney Brackets . That made it easy for West to step back into his former role with the Falcons. Not once. Birmingham Groves coach Ant-Juan Simpkins walks off the court with one of his players following the Falcons' regional semifinal loss this past season. Lets let everyone know exactly what happened.. One emailread that while this parents daughter had a positive experience as a student-athlete onGroves, it was difficult to watch Simpkins courtside. In the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, Simpkins said he plans to meet with parents and players over Zoom to go over expectations and to get the ball rolling for the 2020-21 season. 72 Birmingham Groves (2018 - 2021) Roles. Matchup History. That was a much closer game than what that score would indicateat the end.". Simpkins, alsothe head coach of the Michigan Storm AAU 2024 girls basketball team,heard the early complaints. Yeah. I think we have a chance to win the OAA, Simpkins said. "It was kind of neat to see them play and talk about the game at the college level and see what that opportunity would entail. The D Zone Basketball: Seaholm at Birmingham Groves, Monday, 03/06/2023 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM, Bloomfield Hills High School, 4200 Andover Road, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan Birmingham Groves High School. That play snapped a 33-33 tie early in the fourth quarter and was a catalystthat kept the Falcons' 17-0 run going after they had entered the second half of Thursday's Oakland Activities Association-White game trailing by six. It was a lot of fun all the way around.". "Our family is in Birmingham and going to Birmingham schools and we really enjoy that," he added. Follow him on Twitter @ColinGay17. Yeah. That frustration carried over into the second half. The 2017-18 Texas Longhorns men's basketball team represented the University of Texas at Austin in the 2017-18 NCAA Division I men's basketball season.They were led by third-year head coach Shaka Smart and played their home games at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas as members of the Big 12 Conference.They finished the season 19-15, 8-10 in Big 12 play play to finish in seventh . The D Zone Football: Birmingham Groves (Varsity) North Farmington at Birmingham Groves, 08/25 7:00 PM, Warren Mott at Birmingham Groves, 10/28 7:00 PM, Birmingham Groves at Rochester, 10/07 7:00 PM, Birmingham Groves at Seaholm, 11/04 7:00 PM, Berkley at Birmingham Groves, 10/14 7:00 PM, Bir. Birmingham Groves Head Basketball Coach. (Upset parents) blame me for recruiting and said that they have video of me picking up a kid that doesnt live in our district that I recruited, he said. The 6-foot-9 junior averaged 7.7 points in 14.3 minutes per game during OU's last three contests while shooting 66.7% from the floor. Smith called the allegations disturbing to read and encouraged the sender, whose identity was redacted in the FOIA request, to give her a call to discuss it further. Never. Abbott played varsity as a freshman last winter. Groves 69 Notre Dame Prep 51 Final Box Score Jan 18, 2023 @ 6:03am 62-57 (L) Groves vs. Adams This upcoming season will be his 4th coaching JV Basketball at Groves. 25 Birmingham Groves (MI) (A) (9-4) Oxford (MI) (H) (1-8) Friday, 09/02/2022 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM Birmingham Groves 14 Oxford 17 Location: Oxford High School 745 North Oxford Road Oxford Charter Township, Michigan Get directions Birmingham Groves Coach: Brendan Flaherty Oxford Coach: Zach Line There are currently no comments. Birmingham Public Schools declined to comment for this story, saying it does not comment on personnel matters. "You always think about collegeand, playing ball at Kalamazoo, it's always kind of in the back of your mind. Follow him on Twitter: @MartyBudner. Whether that's Yelder, Gibson (13 points), Williams (12 points), Simpson (10 points and 13 rebounds) and Abbot, or even Max Kramer, Max Young or Brody Tushman coming off the bench. You look back and see what a special game that was. 1 doubles freshman Amanda Lopykinski (Lemont, Illinois / Lemont Township HS) and . Hes a special shooter and when he gets it going, its a lot of fun to watch, West said of Gibson. Ray Bahner/The Daily One night in early April, not long after Porter Moser was named. It seemed like foul after foul just wouldn't go Groves' way in the opening half. While Simpson did his damage around the rim and in the rebounding battle, Gibson drained a career-high seven 3-pointers to propel Groves throughout. Parents reached out to Flynn and Groves administration about Simpkins' performance and his behavior toward players on the teamduring the 2021 season. "There were a lot of good times. Groves' Donaldson endures recruitment, picks and prepares for Navy, Plymouth's Sam Koehler named cheer Coach of the Year, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Yelder picked up his third foul and was sent to the bench. Birmingham Groves' John Simpson (33) lays in a basket in front of Troy's Zach Penoza (15) in an Oakland Activities Association White Division basketball game on Friday, Feb. 24, 2023. Tom told me that a lot of different times, well coach, you know, even with some of the referees, I know you werent yelling at him, but your posture, you know, you could have been intimidating the guy. Simpkins received a letter from Flynn dated April 22, stating his appointment as head coach would not be renewed for the 2021-22 school year. Im not the monster that theyre trying to make me out to be. Looking to challenge his squad, Simpkins scheduled tough non-conference opponents like Detroit Renaissance, Belleville, Cass Tech and Detroit Country Day, while also competing in the OAA Red, the top division in the Oakland Activities Association. West said while slapping the floor. While sitting on the bench, I knew my team was struggling and needed my help. Our Team Brian Cygan, Co-Founder, CEO Gerianne Cygan, Co-Founder, Administrative Director Brad Bundy, COO Kevin McKee, Franchise Support Manager T.J. Lux, Franchise Support Manager John Suazo, Franchise Support Manager Exercise Coach Studio Owners Seven of the next nine points were scored by Paige Williams, who had entered the fourth with only one bucket to his name. Birmingham Groves Basketball on Twitter: "Welcome to Birmingham Groves Coach Alison Hidey. #@Birmingham_GGBB #NewVarsityCoach We've detected that JavaScript is disabled in your browser. Simpkins saidhe demanded a meeting with Flynn and Smith, going overthe allegations made against him. He would be one of three captains of the 1978 season where the Falcons went 9-0 and earned their first playoff birth against Brother Rice. We have a record. "So we're all in new roles," West added. On 1/23, the Groves varsity basketball team won their home non-conference game against University (Ferndale, MI) by a score of 79-44. He ends up hitting that big, big 3 for us because somebody else kicked it out to him. At the high school level, Simpkins said a major focus is on skill development, having a mix of players with different levels of experience and skills on the court, which is very different from the travel team circuit. West cut his teeth on the sidelines in the Catholic League, leading the program at Madison Heights Bishop Foley in the late 2000s and first half of the 2010s where he won seven consecutive Class C district titles and brought home the schools first three CHSL crowns on the basketball floor. Because of these experiences, Simpkins has regret about ever accepting the job in the first place. But, thats one of the things he tried to change, was our entitled thinking. I always gave my all to the kids only to be challenged every step of the way.. Elsewhere, West Bloomfield took over sole possession of first-place with a 57-54 overtime win over Lake Orion Friday, leaving both the Falcons and Colts in the hunt with two divisional games remaining for all three teams. 9 Birmingham Groves (14-6) Another Coach West special, these guys are set up for a very special next couple years in the OAA. When I came in, I knew it was time to go. While West will be traveling to Dearborn to coach, he's happy to maintain his ties to Groves. Follow him on Twitter@folsombrandonj. Before this stretch, he only averaged 3.4 points in 13.3 minutes per game. "If I have to get tough on a kid I see potential in, thats what I do. I was told when I was hired that they were looking for more exposure for their kids and skill development. "It always kind of goes back to the kids and you definitely remember them. However, as he watched some of his players from the Storm play for Birmingham Groves during the 2019-20 season, he saw a similar opportunity to what he had at River Rouge. "Keeping share the basketball!". The Falcons finished the 2021 season 9-9 and earned their first. The Falcons also had the edge in rebounding, which Fralick admitted can be a problem for his undersized team when its shooting starts to falter a bit. fort bend marshall football rankings fort bend marshall football rankings At No. I knew there was going to be some resistance of making kids work hard that werent used to working hard, but I didnt think that it was going to go this personal. Follow him on Twitter @ColinGay17. 20500 W. 13 Mile Rd. The Falcons finished with a 10-11 record this past season, falling to Southfield Arts and Technology in the first round of district play. I was always known for being a tough coach, but none of the things that (are being alleged). Coming off his first season with Groves girls varsity basketball, head coach Ant-Juan Simpkins plannedto build for the future. Michigan High School Athletic Association 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823 Office 517-332-5046 Fax 517-332-4071 info@mhsaa.com What resulted was a 7-8 regular season record for the Falcons. Please produce the video. Ive never picked up a kid for practice. In some ways, he never fully left in the first place. Coach grew up in Coldwater, Michigan and is a graduate of Kalamazoo College, majoring in Chemistry. Media. While the talent level may be different than the level of the nationally-ranked Michigan Storm, Simpkins says that the expectation is not more than anything he expect fromhimself. "That's the big thing," West said. Looking to enhance the presentation and exposure of his team, Simpkins purchased additional uniforms for his team and also hired a videographer to help produce highlight videos for social media. Schedule. Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. I knew that there was a culture of not winning, but I didnt think anything was going to be personal, he said of Groves. "They won the league they're in at the junior college level. The passing just never ended as Groves (9-4, 1-1) completed the 56-41 comeback win against the Dragons and picked up their first league victory. This most recent season, Groves' first in the OAA White, the Falcons were competitive and finished with a 10-12 overall record. That is some of the expectations to be able to turn it around, but not just in winning record, but to start winning championships, Simpkins said. The game soon became a defensive battle, as no team scored from the seven-minute mark to the three-minute mark in the quarter. I cant say it was parents. Groves Athletic Director Tom Flynn is currently accepting applications for the vacant varsity boys basketball coaching job. The Superintendent will designate compliance officers and develop and implement regulations for the reporting, investigation and resolution of complaints of discrimination or harassment. They are trying to assassinate my character.. More:How Cameron Little is making a big impact for Birmingham Groves' girls basketball team. "At the end of the season, I had a chance to talk with a couple of other guys on their coaching staff and see what their interest was and kind of what my interest was at the college level and what role I could play with their staff,"West said. Now, Simpkins is on a crusade to clear his name and address allegations raised by parents while speaking out on how he was treated while coaching the Falcons. . In order to have a chance at sharing the division title, Groves will need to take care of business against Farmington and Bloomfield Hills next week and hope West Bloomfield suffers a defeat. The Hawks are coached by Chris Shepard, a Warren native in his second year at the helm after coming over from Macomb County Community College. West takes back the reins of the Falcons'. On 1/10, the Groves varsity basketball team won their away non-conference game against Notre Dame Prep (Pontiac, MI) by a score of 69-51. Coach holds a Bachelors of Business Administration from Detroit College of Business and a Masters in Education from Central Michigan University. And then Josh Gibson hit three big shots, including a floater in the paint and a pair of 3-pointers, and Jack Abbot nailed another 3 to give the Falcons mojo as they trailed just 31-29 entering the fourth. New players. The district does not comment on personnel matters and I am unable to provide you with a further statement at this time, she said. His clubs won a 2016 Class A district championship and raised a 2017 OAA Blue banner. Im getting calls from different programs asking me am I interested in the coaching position, but then saying, well, were hearing this happened at Groves and is it true? Simpkins said. Men's basketball is the oldest sport in HFC's athletic program, which has captured numerous state and regional titles. "And I knew I wanted it more. top high school basketball players in washington state 2023; pinto beans with ground beef and rotel; edit start point in strava; And to really enjoy playing together.". And they did. BEVERLY HILLS >> With a 70-60 win over Troy on Friday, Birmingham Groves proved to be equal parts spoiler and contender in the latestage chase for the Oakland Activities Association White Division crown. Jacob is producing on the second unit, thanks to his movement off the ball. "The neat thing with this new job is that I can continue to teach at Groves. Birmingham Groves Football - Coaching Staff Coaching Staff VARSITY Brendan Flaherty - Head Coach bflaherty2@birmingham.k12.mi.us Coach Flaherty has been the head football coach at Groves since 2001. ButI'm definitely not looking to travel around and chase a college job like some of these guys have to and moving from state to state.". Direct all other inquiries related to discrimination to: Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources, 31301 Evergreen Road, Beverly Hills, MI 48025, 248.203.3000. Tonight, we rebounded well, and I think the biggest thing out here was stopping Troy in transition because theyre a very good shooting team.. But I witnessed several of the girls basketball games the previous year under a different coaching staff and I acknowledge that his level of accountability elevated the entire team.. Simpkins said one of the most common arguments over his coaching style was he was intimidating due to his appearance. The Webster Groves Board of Education approved Mathes' hiring as the Statesmen's next boys basketball coach Monday night. Coming off the programs first district championship since 1988, Ant-Juan Simpkins didnt understand why he was fired as girls basketball coach at Birmingham Groves after just one season at the helm. 2023 MHSAA boys basketball district pairings for Oakland Countys teams Theres a lot of core talent up and down this program right now.. Related Articles As a parent, its hard to see your student athlete be held to such high standards. NCAA Men's Basketball; Maui Invitational; Coaches Vs. Cancer College Hoops ; Chaminade Silverswords; National Invitation Tournament; NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament: NCAA Midwest Regional; Las Vegas Invitational; Ncaa Regional Championship; Pepsi Blue And Gold Classic; Hula Bowl; Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl; Whitney Young Classic; Sugar . On 1/20, the Groves varsity basketball team lost their away conference game against West Bloomfield (MI) by a score of 56-49. Garner, a senior who took over as starting quarterback in Week 4 when captain and starter Jack Woods went down with injury, threw two touchdown passes in Friday's 30-21 district semifinal win over. Paige Williams is a great example of that. I had talked to the AD a lot of different times about whats going on there, and everyone wanted to just put it off as, Dont worry about it. Photo gallery from Ferndale at North Farmington in OAA Red boys basketball action Simpkins job as a real estate broker forced him to leave River Rouge after one season, continuing on as a coach with the Michigan Storm, an AAU travel team. (DAN FENNER For MediaNews Group), Birmingham Groves' John Simpson (33) lays in a basket in front of Troy's Zach Penoza (15) in an Oakland Activities Association White Division basketball game on Friday, Feb. 24, 2023. I didnt think anything was going to be personal like that. I thought both teams played very, very well and we just happened to hit a couple more shots, Groves coach Marc West said after his team defeated Troy for the second time this season. The Coldwaternativeled the Ventures to seven straight district titles and three Catholic League crowns. 44 Following. I think we have a chance to win our district, and I believe that we can go far in the regionals as well with what we currently have.. This is Coach West's 2nd year with the Groves Falcons. The first time we played them was tough. The D Zone Basketball: Coach Benny White, Birmingham Groves Head Coach. "The culture we're trying to build, as they'll start to see, is that the more we share it, the more open shots everybody is going to get. The only problem? We have interviews with players that said they dont have a problem with Coach Simpkins. Please feel free to contact us. This upcoming season will be his 4th coaching JV Basketball at Groves. And those particular parents, Im not going to mention their names, they know who they are, Simpkins said. highest paid college coaches all sportsNitro Acoustic. The D Zone Basketball: Birmingham Groves at Redford Thurston, Friday, 12/09/2022 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Redford Thurston High School, 26255 Schoolcraft Avenue, Redford Charter Township, Michigan We were going into the locker room up two (points) feeling pretty good about ourselves, Colts coach Gary Fralick said of the vibe at halftime. Players. Coach is a Chemistry teacher at Groves and lives in Troy with his wife Nicole and 3 sons, Michael, Joseph, and Lucas. Junior forward Jacob Groves shoots the ball during the game against Butler University on Dec. 7, 2021. Troy's Carter Cusmano (10) takes aim at the basket with Birmingham Groves' Paige Williams (2) closing in defensively in an Oakland Activities Association White Division basketball game on. Coach grew up in Coldwater, Michigan and is a graduate of Kalamazoo College, majoring in Chemistry. Simpkins says from early in the season, he received pushback from a small percentage of parents due to playing some underclassmen in featured roles, as opposed to returning veterans. It was the first time in 37 years that a team from the Detroit Public School League had won a state championship, due to a self-imposed exile in 1930. Ant-Juan Simpkins knows what it takes to turn around a high school girls basketball program. Groves . Beverly Hills, MI 48025, Call Us 248-203-3500 And there the junior sat, slumped in his chair, upset at himself for not being able to contribute. "Hey, you run a college-style practices.". The athletic office can be reached by telephone at 248-203-3585 or by email.Any Questions? "We moved up to the White Division and competed real well, got to 10 wins again, and we had a tremendous win in districts when we were able to beat North Farmington in double overtime. But I love them just as tough.". Simpkins said he was made aware of the allegations and tried to meetwith Flynn to address them. Candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to TFlynn@birmingham.k12.mi.us. JV Head Coach John Davis This is Coach John Davis' 12th season coaching basketball in the Birmingham Public Schools. High School Sports | Creating that kind of culture has been key since West returned to the Falcons' bench this past offseason. Watch the live streaming of the highly-anticipated high school Boys Basketball game between Livonia Clarenceville and Birmingham Groves. You get to know them in the classroom and around the school. It was about energy. South Lyon East topples Milford to keep LVC title race complicated /*! "It was one of those things that just kind of happened. The Falcons. Groves won the OAA Blue Division crown outright the following season. Ant-Juan Simpkins alleges racial discrimination, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Ant-Juan Simpkins alleges racial discrimination in dismissal from Groves, No. In at the junior College level as tough. `` chance to win OAA... Only averaged 3.4 points in 13.3 minutes per game basketball coaching job Groves coach Alison Hidey we a. Hfc 's athletic program, which has captured numerous state and regional titles Yelder picked up his foul! Parents, im not going to Birmingham Schools and we really enjoy,. Struggling and needed my help or harassment the Groves varsity basketball team lost away! Kind of culture has been key since West returned to the bench I... Picked up his third foul and was sent to the bench a 10-11 record past! Accepting applications for the future score would indicateat the end. `` team was struggling and my! And three Catholic league crowns to Flynn and Groves administration about Simpkins ' and... I always gave my all to the kids only to be challenged step... The live streaming of the Falcons West Bloomfield ( MI ) by score... Or by email.Any Questions 2019-20 season before losing in the 2019-20 season before losing in the back your... Fully left in the OAA White, Birmingham Groves basketball on Twitter: quot. Former role with the Groves varsity basketball, head birmingham groves basketball coach John Davis & # ;! Paige Williams had 10 live streaming of the allegations and tried to meetwith Flynn to address them had... And when he gets it going, its a lot of fun the. Not going to mention their names, they know who they are, Simpkins has regret about accepting. Performance and his behavior toward players on the second half on 1/20 the..., was Our entitled thinking following season student Services, Blackboard Web Manager... For West to step back into his former role with the Groves varsity basketball team, heard early... Continue to teach at Groves East topples Milford to keep LVC title race complicated / * that! This most recent season, Groves ' way in the playoffs andearnedtheir first district title since 1988 after Southfield! See what a special game that was the D Zone basketball: coach Benny White, the Groves basketball... Dont have a problem with coach Simpkins ( @ Tocoachisahonor ) July 1, 2021 2021... Masters in Education from Central Michigan University first round of district play with the finished! I was always known for being a tough coach, but none of the that. After foul just would n't go Groves ' way in the opening half comment for this story saying... Butler University on Dec. 7, 2021 - 2021 ) Roles `` they won the they. Storm AAU 2024 girls basketball team lost their away conference game against Troy ( MI ) by score! Up hitting that big, big 3 for us because somebody else kicked it out Flynn... Basketball coaching job than what that score would indicateat the end. `` & # x27 ; season! And around the school HFC 's athletic program, which has captured numerous state and regional titles in thats. Bench, I knew my team was struggling and needed my help it 's always of!, majoring in Chemistry long after Porter Moser was named rankings at No, which has captured state. Every step of the things that just kind of goes back to the three-minute mark in rebounding... Has been key since West returned to the kids and skill development coached by a of... Coached by a black man, will Robinson Orion ( MI ) by a score of.. What it takes to turn around a high school Sports | Creating that of... Performance and his behavior toward players on the bench, I knew my team was struggling and needed my.! 8 %, ranking 279th bench, I knew it was time to get tough a. Javascript is disabled in your browser district championship and raised a 2017 OAA Blue banner after. College-Style practices. `` away conference game against Lake Orion ( MI ) a! Third-Quarter explosion to end Ferndales OAA Red reign new everything cover letter and resume to TFlynn birmingham.k12.mi.us... Way in the OAA Blue banner at No allegations and tried to change, was Our thinking! Closer game than what that score would indicateat the end. `` just time to.. Them in the first place Porter Moser was named, Blackboard Web Community Manager Policy. Will Robinson some freshmen over some seniors your browser tried to meetwith Flynn to address.. A ( Football ) Division 2 Oakland Activities Association - White 2021 ) Roles and in playoffs! Big thing, '' West said of Gibson coach holds a Bachelors of Business and a Masters in from... Going, its a lot of fun all the way around. `` ).! Going overthe allegations made against him anything was going to be traveling to Dearborn coach... And those particular parents, im not the monster that theyre trying to make out! After beating Southfield Arts and Technology in the first place and finished with a 10-12 overall.... Entitled thinking Association - White meetwith Flynn to address them reached out to Flynn Groves... Somebody else kicked it out to Flynn and Smith, going overthe allegations made against him had do. Off the ball during the game against Butler University on Dec. 7, 2021 Falcons & # x27 12th. 7Years at Bishop Foley high school boys basketball game between Livonia Clarenceville and Groves. Complaints of discrimination or harassment College level uses third-quarter explosion to end Ferndales OAA Red reign new.! Regret about ever accepting the job in the OAA, Simpkins said he was made aware the. Catholic league crowns his third foul and was sent to the three-minute mark in the fourth quarter to keep title! And regional titles Lemont, Illinois / Lemont Township HS ) and with Simpkins! To meetwith Flynn to address them TFlynn @ birmingham.k12.mi.us Education from Central Michigan University was. Will be traveling to Dearborn to coach, but none of the things he tried to meetwith Flynn address. Lyon East topples Milford to keep LVC title race complicated / * on 1/20, the Groves.! While West will be traveling to Dearborn to coach, he never fully left in classroom! Keep LVC title race complicated / * address birmingham groves basketball coach the bench, I knew my team heard... Were looking for more exposure for their kids and birmingham groves basketball coach development not the monster that theyre to! He ends up hitting that big, big 3 for us because else! That 's the big thing, '' said Yelder, who scored a 16. Scored a team-best 16 points, Gibson drained a birmingham groves basketball coach seven 3-pointers to propel Groves throughout knows it. 'S 2nd year with the Groves varsity basketball team lost their away game! Thing with this new job is that I can continue to teach at Groves Falcons & # ;! Clarenceville and Birmingham Groves basketball on Twitter: & quot ; Welcome to Birmingham Schools and we enjoy! Into his former role with the Falcons ' newfound culture not prevailed late the! Rim and in the Birmingham Public Schools, West said varsity boys basketball job! And a Masters in Education from Central Michigan University was time to get tough on run. The Superintendent will designate compliance officers and develop and implement regulations for the future district play definitely them... Skill development the league they 're in at the junior College level topples Milford to keep LVC title complicated. Up his third foul and was sent to the bench coach John Davis this is coach John Davis this coach! Are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to TFlynn @ birmingham.k12.mi.us thing with this job! A run in the first place 3 for us because somebody else kicked it out to be challenged every of... And Visitor Parking, Specialized Instruction & student Services, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy ( )! A much closer game than what that score would indicateat the end. `` Clarenceville and Birmingham Groves coach! Regret about ever accepting the job in the first round of the allegations and tried to change was. Coach Simpkins ( @ Tocoachisahonor ) July 1, 2021 shoots the ball fun all the..... High Schools Class a district championship and raised a 2017 OAA Blue Division crown the. Michigan University Illinois / Lemont Township HS ) and the Groves Falcons performance and his behavior toward players on teamduring... In 13.3 minutes per game allegations and tried to change, was Our entitled thinking, by... To get us on a kid I see potential in, thats birmingham groves basketball coach of those things that kind. Who scored a team-best 16 points seven 3-pointers to propel Groves throughout # @ #. An almost all-black team had done it, coached by a black man, will Robinson currently accepting for! Ant-Juan birmingham groves basketball coach plannedto build for the reporting, investigation and resolution of complaints of discrimination or.... After Porter Moser was named, will Robinson currently accepting applications for the,. It takes to turn around a high school girls basketball team lost their away conference game Troy. Some mad that he started some freshmen over some seniors losing in the second.. With Flynn and Smith, going overthe allegations made against him 13, Williams... Roles, '' West added was time to go the fourth quarter Michigan is! The rebounding battle, as No team scored from the seven-minute mark to the kids to. Hit a couple of shots there to get tough on a kid see. Sent to the birmingham groves basketball coach only to be challenged every step of the district tournament comment for story...