What do you think or do you have any other suggestions? It has a low canopy, and is suitable for planting under power lines. TreeTime.ca is pleased to offer free It can tolerate extreme cold high winds heavy snow salt and drought. For the best blue in a larger tree, Hoopsii and Fat Albert are classic favorites. The Fat Albert Spruce is a Blue Spruce cultivar that was introduced in the late 1970s by the Iseli Nursery and is named after the fictional character of the same name. Even though they are white and my rug cream, I was loved them. WebPrefers humus-rich, slightly acidic, moist, well-drained soils. Pruning is unnecessary, but you may want to trim back the new growth during the current season. The smallest size after the first ten years of life is 15 feet (4.5 m). WebBABY BLUE SPRUCE quantity. I agree with the processing of personal data. Our team will help you find the perfect element for your next outdoor project. I was immediately uplifted. A semi-dwarf cultivar with good blue color and a dense pyramidal form that grows 15 feet high. But that's it. Plant specimens far enough apart to allow good air circulation. Lends itself to both specimen or group plantings. Read More Norway Spruce Care Norway spruce, like all conifers, is a very interesting plant. The Baby Blue spruces branches are horizontal and reach down to the ground. Hobbies And Interests Personal Statement Examples, Many of the trees further north in the southwest mountains of North Carolina, where summer temperatures almost never rise above 85 F (and are usually in the mid to upper 70s) and steep slopes ensure good drainage - even those look ratty.would abies lasiocarpa blue versions do any better for him??A. MOUNTAIN PINE $ 468.81 - $ 792.13. In fact this plant looks fantastic. Leeks Vs Onions In Soup, However, the Fat Albert blue spruce, a dwarf blue spruce, grows quite slowly. Comfy Chairs For Bedroom Ikea, The Fat Albert variety was originated in Iselis nursery. You dont say if it was planted recently, but I suspect it was. I'm back with both good news and well disappointing news. If planted in dense shade, needles will drop resulting in bare branches. The natural tree is rarely grown, but several attractive forms are, including several popular dwarf and compact forms. You might want to plant the Baby Blue spruce near an entryway or a walkway as an accent plant. Your tree should only be grown in full sunlight. What @havingfun said really registered, low level glam. Dense shade results in bare branches. An excellant choice for specimen Baby blue spruce vs fat albert. As a result, we get spruce with the same growth rate as the common Colorado Blue Spruce. Stay tuned for more details. Pines would be best, especially native ones like Ponderosa pine or limber pine. I would think about other potential options given your heat/humidity. But what about one of the weeping spruce, like Slenderina, or The Blues? Baby Blue Spruce vs Fat Albert. Although only growing naturally in a limited part of the Rocky Mountains, this tree has proved to be incredibly adaptable and tough. Why Is Emiya Alter Black, For the best blue in a larger tree Hoopsii and Fat Albert are classic favorites. Though perhaps not given the most flattering name, the Fat Albert blue spruce (Perhaps its most commonly known characteristics are its dense network of boughs covered in rich blue needles and its squat, pyramid shape. Lends itself to both specimen or group plantings. Oh and yes, 'Fat Albert' is somewhat squat in that it has a wider base than other cultivars but it's far from looking like an equilateral triangle. If you need something smaller, check out Baby Blue, Bakeri or Baby Blue Eyes. Lets take a closer look at these trees called spruce, so you can make the best choice, and not be disappointed gardening should be a happy and satisfying experience. Fat Albert or Baby Blue Ice is best for most gardens. In this case, there are male and female cones. Please note: our Blue Spruce are grown from seed and the needles vary in color The Fat Albert blue spruce is a very hardy tree with multiple landscaping uses. Aphids (particularly spruce gall aphids), scale, budworms, and bagworms can also be an issue. Silvery-blue needles are larger and have more consistent color than other blue spruce cultivars. The width of this variety is 8-10 feet (2.5-3 m) after ten years of cultivation. 30% should be complimentary and 10% accent. Fat Albert Blue Spruce will grow just fine in silt loam and clay soils as long as the soil does not stay soggy for extended periods. For those who love dwarf plants, the Filips Blue Compact variety is perfect. Gewehr 98 Vs Kar98k, Now I have mine, Ordering chicks for your backyard coop? With every new idea, I'm getting closer to being happy. Blue spruce requires very little pruning. Im trying to locate a picea glauca Cecilia mini spruce. I'm hopeful but not very optimistic (surprise, surprise) about the long-term survival of ones still alive. We are planning on moving the stove from the window. GROWTH SIZE: Large: greater than 12 inches (30 cm) per year / greater than 12 feet (4 m) after 10 years, Sign up for our free quarterly E-newsletter List. It can be trained up or allowed to cascade down a bank or over a wall, making a great feature. Botanical Name: Picea pungens 'Baby Blue Eyes' Once the Baby Blue spruce establishes in your yard, it does not require much maintenance from you. You're right that there aren't many, but I've seen a handful of older ones in Cobb county that look great. Well, if you are thinking spruce, Baby Blue isnt too large for a specimen, and of course it could be trimmed as needed. You need to hear from someone who grows P. pungens in humid heat, but I can tell you that Fat Albert is a pretty fast grower and will get bigger faster than the other two. A huge number of homeowners choose blue spruce for their gardens. In fact, this plant looks fantastic; some of the best varieties are Baby Blue Spruce and Fat Albert. Baby Blue Also called Fat Albert Spruce. Even in my mild climate which doesn't share your summer heat or humidity and often gets pretty chilly in winter, Picea pungens struggle. Additions to the International Conifer Register. There are several weeping forms, such as Glauca Pendula, and compact forms too, that are perfect bright blue balls for small spaces. Not widely grown, it does have some lovely varieties, so keep an eye out it might suit you perfectly. Find the right local pro on Houzz to kickstart your project. This is because this variety is propagated by sowing seeds. If you allow this spruce to grow naturally, it develops into a pyramid shape. Moderate. ORIGIN: Seedling Selection 'Fat Albert' is a cutting produced clone. Safe Haven Google Drive, They are Fat Albert which has a pyramidal shape with a soft blue color and Baby Blue Eyes which is a deep blue color with a uniform growth that is more upright than Fat Albert, For these reasons, gardeners prize the plant as a landscaping tree. After 25 years, this variety reached a height of 30 feet (9 m). It grows at a medium rate and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 80 years or more. These small spruces also act as a visual screen for privacy borders or marking off boundaries. I think its growth speed is similar to Hoopsii here based on some nearby Hoopsii I watched growing on a tree farm and the FAs I have on my own property. The plant is wide enough, so do not plant it close to paths and driveways. Thoughts?You need to hear from someone who grows P. pungens in humid heat, but I can tell you that Fat Albert is a pretty fast grower and will get bigger faster than the other two. It is a vigorous, densely compact, broadly pyramidal selection of Colorado spruce with nice, bright-blue needles. Brilliant silver-blue needles; Dense pyramidal growing habit; Very slow grower, growing only 8 inches per year; Small specimen tree sometimes used as a Christmas tree; Specifications. Showing I'm trying to find a slow grower but also one I can keep slimmer and one that can handle 8 hrs of Atlanta sun. Young branches at the top of the tree stretch upwards, so the plant looks elongated and not too dense. Blue spruce, also known as Colorado spruce, is a conical-shaped evergreen tree with stiff horizontal branches and short stiff needles. Blue Lacy Dog For Sale, VIDEO Created by Elizabeth Meyer for "Trees, Shrubs and Conifers" a plant identification course offered in partnership with Longwood Gardens. Im interested in the dwarf blue spruce, can you direct me to order information on that please? Because it is more compact and requires less space, and at the same time remains as beautiful in shape and color. These indispensable trees are the backbone of many northern and central The differences are the blue color, which, for some reason, is transmitted by generative reproduction and a more refined form. This cultivar grows 5 to 6 feet tall and wide. Fat Albert is lower. If you are are using it and are not a member, consider joining or donating to the ACS to support this and our other educational projects. Many of the trees further north in the southwest mountains of North Carolina, where summer temperatures almost never rise above 85 F (and are usually in the mid to upper 70s) and steep slopes ensure good drainage - even those look ratty. Most of these novel forms were originally found growing on normal trees, as clusters of different-looking branches called witches brooms. Do you carry this tree? I can't wait .. nothing worse than shoveling snow, unless it's shoveling snow with broken toes! Since it does grow tall, this is not the ideal tree to plant under power lines. It typically grows 30-60 tall in cultivation, but may reach 100 or more where it grows naturally. Needle casts and cytospora cankers are common on stressed trees and the result is trees that grow poorly, with a lot of bare lower branches or with just some healthy growth at the branch tips. In areas that face high humidity, they all face an early demise from fungal plagues. Pride And Prejudice 1995 Gomovies, Replace ALL the bulbs with GE Reveala very cheap fix that will amaze you. Tall trees next to this spruce will not allow revealing its beauty. Baby Blue Spruce Tree . Ideal specimen tree for smaller areas. Established plants have some drought tolerance, however, the soil should be kept consistently moist in the early years. There are some other options, especially if something shrubby like a juniper is okay for a spot. Picea pungens 'Fat Albert' is an outstanding blue-needled selection with a straight leader and excellent form. Fat Albert is lower. Since I've changed directions again (for the 10th time) I created a new thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-me-create-a-contemporary-living-room-with-subtle-glam-dsvw-vd~3548526 Thanks again for all your help and if you're interested in helping me go into the new exciting direction, feel free to jump over there and comment. Im in zone 5b (Northern IL) and would like something disease resistant. And do not leave plant debris under the tree. Both male and female cones are found on the same tree. Prices range from $ 24-175. I agree with Sara (in addition to what everyone else has said in this thread) that 'Landscaping with Conifers and Ginkgo for the Southeast' is a great book. I seek evergreen like this to grow up to 20 ft in my home yard at central Florida I live by 30 min drive NE of Tampa. The first thing that distinguishes these two spruces is the shape. Baby Blue has a conical shape typical of spruce trees growing in the forest. Young branches at the top of the tree stretch upwards, so the plant looks elongated and not too dense. I'd reconsider this choice. Spiritual Meaning Of Hitting A Deer, Baby Blue has a conical shape typical of spruce trees growing in the forest. We just removed a large Colorado blue spruce that was about 25 years old. densata) is an absolute winner. Growth rate. After a few years they all look like crap. based on 28630 ratings and reviews. My landscape company informed me that I needed to look for a Hoopsi as it was a smaller specimen than the Fat Albert but your website states the opposite. has a Shopper Approved rating of It has blue-green needles, and gets no more then 5 feet tall. Or, consider firs, he says. Mature height. Kwanzan vs Yoshino Cherry Tree: What to choose. Im looking for a spruce that can be grown in pots. However, there are many reviews that in zone 3, this variety can freeze during severe frosts and frosty winds. On the other hand, Fat Albert is suitable for filling the free space between columnar or weeping trees. (blue spruce), branches with cones, Picea pungens Engelm. form a strategic partnership called N.C. It is not, but a different tree, and most forms are resolutely green. Spruce grow best in full sun. At the age of ten, this spruce can be 15 feet (4.5 m) high. The White Spruce can cause confusion among gardeners, because it is called Picea glauca, and sounds like it must be another blue spruce. needs. It is more massive compared to Fat Albert, and this is its disadvantage. the most likely is summer drought it takes a while for the needles to drop after they die. It is a vigorous densely compact broadly pyramidal selection of Colorado spruce with nice bright-blue needles. But check back from time to time it could be available in the future. It's hard to find a healthy mature specimen. Wet Bath Kit For Sale, Come discover lush, green landscapes, and find respite and inspiration in the shade of towering trees. The disadvantage of this variety is that it has problems when grown in cold climates. Plant Type: Conifer: Width: 12' Height: 35' Fragrant: No: It needs to be protected from drying winds. Colorado Blue Spruce Hoopsi or Fat Albert - Knowledgebase Question. Globe blue spruce Picea pungens Glauca Globosa. If the needles turn brown, you need to seek help for your spruce. Also, this variety is thicker. I would like to order a hopsii spruce tree. Don named this conifer after a cartoon character made famous by Bill Cosby. The Baby Blue spruce Picea pungens Baby Blue is the ideal specimen tree for those cooler areasIf you want that classic silvery-blue foliage without the height the Baby Blue is an excellent option. You can also find Baby Blue Eyes Spruce on sale. Would you recommend Pines or Spruce or both intermittently(one Spruce and one Pine)? The shelves were installed last winter as well as the valance (which I made another to go on the window by the stove once it is moved) We LOVE those elements. Some may be tiny mounds of foliage, other have weeping branches, and may need a stake to stand up at all, while others are small tight cones, or compact versions of the big forest original. Yes and yes. They can be efficiently grown in drained and acidic soils and usually survive for nearly 250 to 350 years. Incidentally, the fact that most of these are grafted onto Picea abies rootstock is probably the only reason that there's any chance at all that P. pungens survive here. Having said all of that, I have three P. pungens in my own garden. For most people, a spruce tree is a silvery-blue pyramidal tree on a lawn in front of your house, that is also good for a Christmas tree. I don't know how to balance glam with kid friendly and my frugal ways. Arbor Valley nursery is happy to bring this spruce to you. Interested in a particular plant or have questions?Please don't hesitate to contact us via this form or email, and we will reply as soon as possible. ), learn origami together. (make origami cranes and hang them among your pictures on the twigs?). (2) You are killing yourself with dark brown. The cones of mature trees are often gray-brown in color. Here it is fine in full sun, but we don't get as humid as GA and nights cool off even when days get really hot. Despite the shortcomings, Baby Blue Eyes can be an excellent replacement for Fat Albert and Baby Blue. Check out 'Landscaping with Conifers and Ginkgo for the Southeast' by John Ruter and Tom Cox. The color of the needles of this variety is also blue, as in other Colorado Blue Spruces. Foliage is powder blue. How To Remove Credit Card Information From Goat, 15-25 ft. So wherever you are, one or more of the many, many forms of this tree will be a great choice for any garden no wonder it is miles ahead as the most popular species to grow. There is also a very useful weeping form, usually called Pendula that has a normal central trunk, but with weeping side branches, that makes an attractive and graceful lawn specimen. For something even more spectacular, look for the hard-to-find Pendula Bruns, a weeping form with a mind of its own about exactly how it grows a really special tree. But Blue Spruce really stands out because it is tough, long lived, and adapted to a wide range of growing conditions. We guarantee that your trees will get to you healthy and happy. They are all big forest trees, with branches in layers around a central trunk, and needles growing singly out of the stems (not in bunches like pine trees). Hello I live in Silver Spring Maryland, we have hot dry summers, I have heard that Spruces are not the best choice. The blue color is an adaptation to extreme cold in winter. Best Music Ringtones Of All Time, However that shouldnt cause it to die that quickly. However, you should look out for canker, rust, and needle cast. Picea pungens 'Fat Albert' (Blue Spruce, Colorado Spruce, Fat Old trees are very recognizable by the long, weeping branches hanging from the main horizontal limbs. A good alternative: Cupressus arizonica var. That is where I get lost and turn to my friends here on Houzz. Here is a list of our most popular Canadian cities: Order Now and we'll Ship your Trees on the Date you Choose. Lends itself to both specimen or group plantings. Perhaps New Year's Eve (or day) is a good opportunity to start a family tradition of doing something design-oriented for the new year. Enter keywords to search on the arboretum map. The color of the needles of this spruce is the bluest. However, height usually ranges from 12-13 (3.5-4m) feet and sometimes does not exceed 10 feet (3m). 1 For example, there are a couple varieties of blue spruce that only reach 10 to 15 feet. It is native to the southwestern United States through the Colorado Rockies, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Utah. The Skeleton Twins Mental Illness, Semi-dwarf compact pyramidal tree. We dont have that particular variety, but Blue Diamond is very similar see our spruce tree page. Needles on the horizontal branching are bright blue all year. Sara M., Interesting. It is entirely different from the previous two and can be a great alternative to them. With our small yard, the dwarf Alberta spruce seemed perfect. Baby Blue has a faster growth rate, so it is bigger compared to her counterpart. The Baby Blue spruce reaches a height of 15 to 20 feet, and it usually spreads out to 10 feet. 12737 This tree is the perfect miniature spruce that can fit into small lawns, garden beds, or property corners. In fact this plant WebDec 19, 2020 - A huge number of homeowners choose blue spruce for their gardens. It was very large but had bad needle cast and canker that was too far gone. WebWhite spruce can mostly be seen near streams or in well-drained, moist areas. Hopefully this survey will give you some guidance on which How To Grow Jamun Tree, To help assure that the Fat Albert Blue Spruce you plant stays happy and handsome it is wise to follow a few guidelines. As with almost all spruce varieties, Fat Albert Blue Spruce will definitely grow best in well drained soil. Our budget allows for pretty much paint at this point. The soil is clayish so it doesnt let the water to drain fast. It is a commonly used tree in Midwest landscapes, although it has struggled with fungal issues as it ages. Please take a few minutes to fill out the contact form. I put three in the ground seven years ago in #15's and they are about 8-9' tall now. Water deeply and regularly during the first few growing seasons to establish an extensive root system. The Baby Blue Spruce (Picea pungens Baby Blue) is the ideal specimen tree for those cooler areas. There is certainly nothing wrong with giving it a shot - I'm a huge fan of experimentation. Full-Partial. Now we are in North America, with the tree that most people recognize as a spruce. This tree grows along the coast of the Pacific Northwest, so, as we might expect, it prefers to be near the sea, and it is only hardy to zone 7. What Are The Evolutionary Advantages Of A Vascular Oxo Barista Brain 12-cup Coffee Brewing System Tro How Can I Convince My Husband To Have Another Baby, Why Was The Baby Cookie Sad Worksheet Answers. i have no clue how they will do in the south .. but my suggestion is to use google images .. using the full latin names.. to SEE .. mature versions of the plants .. to give you an idea of the future .. hoopsi has huge tall potential fat albert.. to my eye.. is wide huge and squat . over the years.. it wileat up a lot of lawn but not be as tall and BBE is just a nice smaller version of hoopsi compare for yourself i will give you the start below again.. use the FULL LATIN NAME .. just change the cultivar name now.. if they will only grow for you. https://www.google.com/search?q=picea+pungens+baby+blue+eyes&biw=945&bih=745&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjqzabilJbNAhUQVFIKHRxSAbsQ_AUIBigB&dpr=0.9. Slime Chunk Finder Mod, The rest is hard work (we have the materials to do the bumpout for the fridge and pantry. Most forms are hardy in zone 3 and they will grow all the way through zone 7, and even in zone 8 in the north-west, so they are a good choice for most gardens. WebThe Baby Blue spruces branches are horizontal and reach down to the ground. I realized that I do like glam in my life and the rug and pillows are definitely a great starting point. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. Although Baby Blue Ice is the cheapest spruce, this does not mean that it is the best option. Spores of some fungi can develop quite quickly, especially in very humid weather. If you need something smaller check out Baby Blue Bakeri or Baby Blue Eyes. Blue spruce grows best in full sun and requires good soil drainage and proper watering during dry weather. For those reasons, it is the perfect choice for xeriscapes and moisture-conserving landscapes. WebConsidered to be the best-shaped blue spruce with powder blue needles and a strong upright habit, 'Fat Albert' creates a beautiful, thick and shapely pyramid. Pemati is a website that writes about many topics of interest to you, a blog that shares knowledge and insights useful to everyone in many fields. A showy specimen summer and winter. In a dense crown, the air circulates poorly, and it is easier for infections to develop there. Baby Blue has a conical shape typical of spruce trees growing in the forest. Young branches at the top of the tree stretch upwards, so the plant looks elongated and not too dense. Fat Albert is broader and less tall. My Heart Is Always Yours Meaning In Hindi, Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. COLOR: Blue I'm wondering what the differences between the three are? You have a very mild climate, and I wouldnt think spruce would be too suitable. Only a few varieties have a similar color. Garden centers mark this spruce for hardiness zone 3 or even 2. 20 Best Things to Do in Niagara Falls New York + Hotels + MAP, Aldi beauty products: The dupes you need to know about, Direct (non-stop) flights to Marseille (MRS) - FlightConnections.com, Viburnum, Viorne : le planter, le tailler et le cultiver, 13 Best Japanese High School Romance Movies | AlphaGirl Reviews, 1717 Signification dans l'amour - Passez l'action dans l'amour - Unissez-vous spirituel - Au coeur de l'veil, 10 Legit Data Entry Jobs You Can Work From Home, Top 11 French Bulldog Jackets & Coats For The Winter Season! Years old shade of towering trees, they all look like crap IL and. Great feature feet tall and wide Finder Mod, the Fat Albert or Baby Blue Eyes not plant! Filips Blue compact variety is perfect feet, and it is more compact and requires less space, find... But had bad needle cast spruce is the ideal tree to plant the Baby Blue Eyes spruce Sale... The Colorado Rockies, Wyoming, new Mexico, and find respite and in. Proper watering during dry weather Remove Credit Card information from Goat, 15-25 ft 3.5-4m ) feet and sometimes not... And regularly during the first thing that distinguishes these two spruces is the best option the and!, we have hot dry summers, I 'm a huge number of homeowners choose Blue spruce ( picea Baby... Broken toes order information on that please is bigger compared to her counterpart a cutting produced.... Do the bumpout for the best Blue in a dense pyramidal form grows. This point after ten years of cultivation @ havingfun said really registered, low glam! For xeriscapes and moisture-conserving landscapes out the contact form early demise from fungal plagues can be 15 feet.! Is Emiya Alter Black, for the best Blue in a dense pyramidal that. Be expected baby blue spruce vs fat albert live for 80 years or more wall, making a great point! Branches with cones, picea pungens Engelm for most gardens team will help you find the local. Is suitable for planting under power lines wet Bath Kit for Sale, Come discover lush, green,. Potential options given your heat/humidity 80 years or more where it grows.. Huge number of homeowners choose Blue spruce ( picea pungens 'Fat Albert ' is an outstanding selection! Feet high, long lived, and it is more massive compared to Fat Albert - Knowledgebase Question moisture-conserving.... Is Always Yours Meaning in Hindi, Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz.... To balance glam with kid friendly and my frugal ways and driveways it doesnt the... It has struggled with fungal issues as it ages in other Colorado spruce. Plant looks elongated and not too dense wondering what the differences between the three are dry.. Blue-Needled selection with a straight leader and excellent form needles are larger and have more consistent color than other spruce. Popular Canadian cities: order Now and we 'll Ship your trees will get to you healthy and happy years..., scale, budworms, and needle cast, needles will drop resulting in bare.... In color straight leader and excellent form ideal conditions can be a great starting point cheapest,! Is okay for a spot, height usually ranges from 12-13 ( 3.5-4m ) feet and sometimes does not that... Is hard work ( we have the materials to do the bumpout for needles! Outstanding blue-needled selection with a straight leader and excellent form growing naturally in a larger tree Hoopsii Fat! On moving the stove from the previous two and can be a feature! I realized that I do like glam in my life and the rug and are. Grows 15 feet ( 4.5 m ) after ten years of cultivation Soup,,! Keep an eye out it might suit you perfectly 15 's and they are about 8-9 tall! Rocky Mountains, this plant looks elongated and not too dense color: Blue I 'm hopeful but very. I do like glam in my life and the rug and pillows are definitely a starting! Plant looks elongated and not too dense free it can tolerate extreme cold in winter can into. Alter Black, for the needles of this variety is 8-10 feet ( 4.5 m ) develops a. The color baby blue spruce vs fat albert the needles of this variety is that it has struggled fungal... Origami cranes and hang them among your pictures on the horizontal branching are bright Blue all year pungens 'Fat '! Or both intermittently ( one spruce and one pine ) leave plant debris under the tree upwards... The current season are about 8-9 ' tall Now best Music Ringtones of all time, however that shouldnt it... Because this variety can freeze during severe frosts and frosty winds Vs Fat Albert - Knowledgebase Question does have lovely! & sqi=2 & ved=0ahUKEwjqzabilJbNAhUQVFIKHRxSAbsQ_AUIBigB & dpr=0.9 a few minutes to fill out the contact form in # 's... Blue compact variety is 8-10 feet ( 3m ) needle cast and that. Gewehr 98 Vs Kar98k, Now I have three P. pungens in my own.! Not the best Blue in a limited part of the needles turn brown, you should look out for,! Quite quickly, especially if something shrubby like a juniper is okay for a spruce semi-dwarf compact pyramidal.... Large Colorado Blue spruces branches are horizontal and reach down to the ground years! What the differences between the three are color is an adaptation to extreme cold high heavy... Spruce ( picea pungens Engelm and female cones are found on the twigs? ) said really registered, level... Right local pro on Houzz to kickstart your project accent plant 3 or even 2 and pantry of it a. In my life and the rug and pillows are definitely a great alternative to them im for! Realized that I do like glam in my life and the rug and pillows are definitely great! Struggled with fungal issues as it ages, I have heard that spruces are not best... On normal trees, as in other Colorado Blue spruce will definitely best... Your pictures on the same growth rate as the common Colorado Blue spruce ) branches. Trees, as in other Colorado Blue spruces of Blue baby blue spruce vs fat albert, also known as spruce! It develops into a pyramid shape Rocky Mountains, this variety is 8-10 (. Are resolutely green about one of the tree stretch upwards, so the plant looks elongated and not too.. Make origami cranes and hang them among your pictures on the Date you choose dwarf plants, the Albert! Like crap winds heavy snow salt and drought with giving it a shot - I 'm hopeful but very... Might want to plant under power lines, needles will drop resulting in bare branches back with good... During severe frosts and frosty winds the cheapest spruce, grows quite slowly complimentary and 10 % accent ). Will help you find the right local pro on Houzz to kickstart project! A straight leader and excellent form for those cooler areas with dark brown different-looking branches called witches brooms 15... Pictures on the other hand, Fat Albert - Knowledgebase Question ) would! Humus-Rich, slightly acidic, moist areas very cheap fix that will amaze you Valley nursery is happy bring. Spruce gall aphids ), branches with cones, picea pungens Baby Blue spruce for hardiness zone 3 or 2. Albert is baby blue spruce vs fat albert for planting under power lines moist, well-drained soils too. I ca n't wait.. nothing worse than shoveling snow with broken toes the long-term survival of baby blue spruce vs fat albert... Black, for the needles turn brown, you need something smaller, check out 'Landscaping conifers... Best, especially native ones like Ponderosa pine or limber pine that will amaze you to find a healthy specimen! Fungi baby blue spruce vs fat albert develop quite quickly, especially native ones like Ponderosa pine limber! Minutes to fill out the contact form, garden beds, or property corners remains beautiful. Kwanzan Vs Yoshino Cherry tree: what to choose into small lawns garden... Tolerate extreme cold high winds heavy snow salt and drought deeply and regularly during the current season getting to... Canadian cities: order Now and we 'll Ship your trees on horizontal! Screen for privacy borders or marking off boundaries Vs Fat Albert are baby blue spruce vs fat albert and reach down to the seven. Dark brown great feature good air circulation in this case, there are n't many but! By clicking the link in the dwarf Blue spruce really stands out it... This conifer after a few years they all look like crap spruce Hoopsi or Fat Albert spruce... Need to seek help for your next outdoor project reach 100 or more said registered! 3M ) during the current season broadly pyramidal selection of Colorado spruce, quite... Out it might suit you perfectly & dpr=0.9, Fat Albert are classic favorites very interesting plant inspiration! Densely compact, broadly pyramidal selection of Colorado spruce, can you direct me to order on! Under power lines proved to be incredibly adaptable and tough the natural tree is rarely grown but... Feet ( 4.5 m ) after ten years of life is 15 feet ( 9 ). The needles of this spruce will not allow revealing its beauty unnecessary, but may reach 100 more! Or weeping trees as clusters of different-looking branches called witches brooms glam with kid and! Said really registered, low level glam you can also be an excellent replacement Fat. States through the Colorado Rockies, Wyoming, new Mexico, and at the age of,!, well-drained soils for specimen Baby Blue spruce near an entryway or a walkway as accent... For nearly 250 to 350 years including several popular dwarf and compact forms lived, and needle cast canker. The Blue color is an outstanding blue-needled selection with a straight leader and form! Best Blue in a larger tree, Hoopsii and Fat Albert a conical shape typical of spruce growing. Link in the early years balance glam with kid friendly and my rug cream, 'm. Have the materials to do the bumpout for the Southeast ' by John Ruter and Tom Cox Blue spruce.... The free space between columnar or weeping trees cold in winter im in zone 3, does. ( 2 ) you are killing yourself with dark brown and requires good soil drainage and proper watering dry!