For such a popular and comfy pair of shoes, the word Ugg actually comes from them being considered ugly by the wife of the very creator of the Ugg boots. Youve got Buckleys chance of winning Tattslotto. Now, lets learn about each of them. bum steer = Given the wrong information, received the wrong directions, misled. Marie E. J. Pitt About east. Up shit creek without a paddle = In dire trouble, in a quandary. Did you see what that Channel 7 journo said on the news last night?, McDonalds. Go on, give it a burl. Use GoodMigrations to get and compare quotes from reputable international movers, then book the best mover online. Fair dinkum, thats what happened. Davo, Jacko, Johno, Robbo, Stevo, and Tommo (David, Jack, John, Robert, Steve, and Tom). Excuse me, mate, can you tell me where the nearest pub is? Similar to the American word buddy. blind Freddie = A phrase used in comparison to establish something that is obvious or easy, e.g. Pitt Street farmer = A businessman or investor who buys or invests in a farm or agricultural business (Pitt Street is a street in Sydney associated with businessmen); the Victorian version is a Collins Street farmer (after a street in Melbourne associated with businessmen, particularly with medical professionals). Good on ya, mate! (Dont try this at home, folks). Gazza = Garry. Can also refer to someone who is perceived to be a bit mad or crazy. See: IAC list on Trove. How ya goin? Gor blimey, I ate too much, Im as full as a goog. big-noting = When someone puffs up their own importance, e.g. The term 'Limey' had its heyday during the early 20th century where it was used as a shorthand reference for English emigrants arriving in America, South Africa and Australia. may your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny down = A phrase expressing ill-will, e.g. We still shorten our words and use "ie" at the end of some words, e.g. People travel to Tasmania for many different reasons. go to buggery = Go to hell. chuck a mental = Have a tantrum, get angry (the imputation is that one is acting like a mentally disabled person having a fit); also chuck a wobbly, chuck a mickey, chuck a fit, e.g. Cool, excellent. Hes filthy on her for flirting with his brother, Shes filthy on him for spending the night at the pub; similar to dirty on. Meaning: (Noun) When you visit Australia, you will find plenty of unusual words like knickers, which is female underwear. Theres a lot of Australian slang words for this state of being! ARSE: 1 Effrontery, cheek, as in the phrase more arse than Jessie . It is not the first Australian slang word or saying to make it to the wider English vocabulary. He was stoked when he won the raffle. Whats for dinner tonight, love? Ugg boots. opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one = A phrase used to denigrate someones opinion. fang it = To move quickly, especially to drive fast, e.g. Read on to find out what its like to visit Tasmazia and explore the town of Lower Crackpot, in the heart of the Promised Land. give it a burl, Shirl = An expanded form of the phrase Give it a burl. The phrase within coo-ee denotes a manageable distance, whereas not within coo-ee denotes somewhere far away. coldie - beer. In other countries, rooted means a person finally found a place to stay for good. Think you know it all? Auntie = A reference to the ABC (originally the Australian Broadcasting Commission, later renamed the Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Im bloody stoked with those footy seats you got.. Esky: cooler, insulated food and drink container 7. Im a bit sus of the tyres on my car, I think theyre no good, I think that used-car dealer is a bit sus. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere or very far away. You should have seen the way those soldiers charged the enemy, they were as game as Ned Kelly!, gander = To look, e.g. Heritage, history, and heroes; literature, legends, and larrikins. Example: Would you grab me a cold one after youre finished in the kitchen? Derived from the way in which some Australians pronounce the word Australian (which becomes Ostralian, or Strine). Lo-Carb! Jesus H. Christ! bees dick = Something very small, or used as an indication of a short distance or a close call, e.g. its a boomerang = Used in reference to loaning an item (making it clear that it is not a present to keep, but a loan that is to be returned; like a boomerang, it is meant to come back), e.g. Ill add it. Example: I defo agree with you. Example: Wow, your surfboards sick! Dont ask him to play, hes a bit of a sook. Lets be friends! Hey mate, pass me a durry. Visiting Tasmazia & the tiny village of Lower Crackpot, Wine Not? If Jimmy kissed Rileys girlfriend it would be considered a dog move. he was really cut when he got the sack, his girlfriend left him and he was really cut up about it. Example: I want to explore the naked outback, but locals said its unsafe. stinker = A very hot day, e.g. True blue, fair dinkum, ridgy-didge; the Australian vocabulary is chockas with random terms and phrases that essentially mean very little. Similar to giving someone the boot, or giving someone the flick. I will never dine at Red Rooster again.. Meaning: (Expression) In other places, the word sick refers to a person who is ill. Similar to the phrase Up shit creek without a paddle. He brought the teacher an apple, hes a real crawler. Charles Harpur Billabong A pond in a dry riverbed Billy Teapot (in the outback on the fire) Bloody Very Bloody oath Yes! Dying for a dimmi (hungry for a DimSim - usually a hangover cure in Victoria; Have seen better heads in a flat beer (unattractive . Aggro - Aggressive or Angry Ambo - Ambulance Ankle Biter = Used to refer to a child. = A phrase used against incompetent car drivers (the imputation being that their driving is so bad that they couldnt have got their license by being a good driver and passing a driving test; a reference to when small toys were sometimes included in packets of cereal as promotional extras). Put another snag on the barbie, will ya love?. Its been hours and I need to use it now. Addy is a kind hearted sassy girl.She usually will fight in a argument if she believes she is right even when she might not be. galah = Someone who is regarded as a fool or an idiot; e.g. You know, go where the big knobs hang out. that cake was massive, it was gi-normous; can also be spelt as ginormous. The information for the entry bangs like a dunny door has now been expanded. Meaning: (Noun) Facey is a funny and shortened word for the app called Facebook. Interestingly, this is one of the few Australian slang words that has been popularised in the USA, as Ive heard many American friends use it. Aussie = [2] Australia, or something from Australia; e.g. 2. Or fair suck of the sav. bloods worth bottling = A compliment, e.g. Genuine. Correction is Give it a burl Shirl (probably related to Shirley Strachan of the band Skyhooks) dead horse = Rhyming slang for sauce, usually regarding tomato sauce. The last time I went home my entire family made fun of me saying they couldnt understand a word I was saying. chuck a sickie = To have a day off work, claiming to be sick whilst not being ill at all (falsely claiming sick leave). Others sprung forth from our many Indigenous languages, or our extremely varied culture. What else did you get for Christmas? wet enough to bog a duck = Very wet, e.g. Na, its in woop woop, cant be bothered going that far. Hes feeling pretty blue at the moment. If you do not wish to be offended, then please do not read any further. durry = A cigarette, e.g. However, it should be noted that give it a burl, Shirl is a later variation (rather than a correction), as the phrase give it a burl dates back to at least 1911, as can be seen in the following list: https://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=132373, Its quite possible that the Shirl variation is connected with Shirley Strachan. Cold One Giggle Juice Diesel Hard Stuff Poison, Petrol, Oil Because it powers up. It's not quite an Aussie slang dictionary, but it will help you know what's the John Dory down-under. Coathanger, the = A humourous name for the Sydney Harbour Bridge (a reference to the bridge being perceived as being in the shape of a coathanger). Meaning everything will be alright. Also rendered as parmi or parmo. 1 Thanks for clarifying to "unimpressed". carn = Strine for Come on, especially used when barracking for a team, e.g. See the following list: https://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=132374 Bloody brilliant! What is a bogan and why doesnt anyone like them? bog in = Indulge freely; same as the expression dig in. Guess who invented it? Distinct from the word nanna, which means grandmother. in the clothes he wears, he looks like a real dag; possibly from the dried mess (dag) of dirt and droppings that adheres to a sheeps rear end. Thanks for the loan, Ill fix you up next week. In South Africa that means going for a dip in the altogetherwhich means going for a swim naked or kaalgat. yonks = A long time, e.g. Thank you for pointing that out. The first (and most important) meal of the day. See: 1) Drop Bear, Scientific name: Thylarctos plummetus, The Australian Museum OS = Abbreviation for overseas (i.e. Sigh. curry = To attack or abuse, to give someone curry, e.g. cant be arsed = Dont feel like doing something, not in the mood to do something, cant be bothered, e.g. Translation: I've been very busy Alternatives: "I've been flat out like a lizard drinking" or "I've been busy as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest." Budgie smugglers. Distinct from the British slang term spunk, which refers to semen. Brian Cadd [music videos and biography] stoush = A fight or brawl, e.g. A chicken. a reference to foreign countries). come the raw prawn = To try to impose on someone, or to seek an advantage, e.g. Australia Day Address 2022 by Dr Daniel Nour, Australia Day Address 2021 by Shane Fitzsimmons, Australia Day Address 2020 by Grace Brennan, Australia Day Address 2019 by Hugh Mackay AO, Australia Day Address 2017 by Professor Michelle Y. Simmons, Australia Day Address 2016 by Deng Thiak Adut, Australia Day Address 2015 by Ben Roberts-Smith VC MG, Australia Day Address 2014 by Ita Buttrose AO OBE, Australia Day Address 2013 by Kurt Fearnley OAM, Australia Day Address 2012 by Associate Professor Charlie Teo AM, Australia Day Address 2011 by Sir Michael Parkinson CBE, Australia Day Address 2010 by General Peter Cosgrove AC MC (Retd), Australia Day Address and Family Fun Fair RSVP, From sunrise to sunset Come together on Australia Day 2023 to Reflect, Respect and Celebrate, Winner announced! Davo = David. 3.. butchers = Rhyming slang for look, an abbreviation of butchers hook, e.g. Top Enders = People from that area of the NT from Katherine north. If you are on your way to Australia, you probably know the basics of Aussie slang - basically, what g'day means! slant-eye = An Asian person (a derogatory term). Haha yeah, it really is like its own language, which is what I personally love about our slang! It is a mixed bag for a lot of the community, as the day traditionally commemorates the moment that the British first stuck their flag into Australian soil. Hello. Avocado. (Black Puffer Jackets) A lot of snow about. Singular: Skip. [See the entry: shoot through like a Bondi tram.]. The terms listed in this section would be used to describe someone who is in the process of becoming inebriated rather than a person who has already crossed that line. Less common alternatives are sammo, sammie, and sango. cop it sweet = When someone takes on a negative outcome without complaining. Dero is my favourite, I love to whip that one out to confuse the Brits. dag = Someone who is not fashionable, e.g. arsey = Someone who is considered lucky, e.g. Davo, Jacko, Johno, Robbo, Stevo, and Tommo (David, Jack, John, Robert, Steve, and Tom). big bickies = A lot of money; can also be spelt as big bikkies. cracked = [2] To attempt to strike up a relationship so as to establish a sexual liaison, e.g. 2023 LetsLearnSlang.com - The Best Place to Learn New Slang Terms & Phrases, 101+ Hawaii Slang & Pidgin Phrases (Complete List), 30 Minnesota Slang Words, Sayings and Phrases (Complete List), 41 Alabama Words, Sayings & Phrases (Complete List), 130+ New York Slang Words and Meanings (The Ultimate Guide), Top 10 Other Words for Hasty (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Dazzling (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Dying (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Precedent (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Expensive (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Respond (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Mundane (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Profitable (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Eccentric (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Recognition (Explained w Examples). Macca's. Macca's is the abbreviated version of McDonald's. To an Australian, pronouncing 3 syllables is too much effort. Example: Hey mate, you left the billy outside overnight. Example: Do you need new thongs? ethnic = A non-Anglo person; in common usage, ethnics usually refers to non-Anglo Europeans. Last nights episode of Married At First Sight was hetic, aye?. Ned Kelly beard = A full beard (being a comparison with the full beard sported by the bushranger Ned Kelly in some famous photographs). Present. K = Kilometer (abbreviation), e.g. bushranger = A criminal of the 19th century who lived in the bush and robbed people, especially travelers. Geebung and Speewah are also used in a similar manner, although these are names of actual places (both in Queensland); in this regard, their situation is similar to Timbuctoo, located in Africa (formerly part of the French Sudan colony; now in Mali, and spelt Timbuktu). Similar to the phrase Damn you to hell. Can also be used to refer to any woman (similar to sheila). He fell when walking down the sand dune at the beach, and went A over T. The desert. An Australian slang phrase which means good work! Heritage, history, and heroes. bo peep = Look, e.g. Also spelt as drop-bear or dropbear. A person who is considered unsophisticated or unrefined, commonly associated by Aussies with someone of low socio-economic status. Meaning: (Noun) Tea is Aussie slang for dinner. It is not the drink a person has that is made of plant leaves. Derived from the insensitive, or politically incorrect, phrase carrying on like a Jew with a pork chop in a synagogue. Meaning: (Adjective) The word stoked is Australian slang for happy or feeling pleased. popular as a Jew in Germany = A reference to someone who is not very popular; e.g. Or are you a big, Read More Visiting Tasmazia & the tiny village of Lower CrackpotContinue, Wineglass Bay is one of the prettiest beaches in Australia, regularly making lists of the top ten (pretty high praise when you consider Oz has over 10,000 of them). bundle = A lot of money, a bundle of money, e.g. Can also be used as a sarcastic response to something obvious. Translation: Speedos Explanation: Skimpy male beachwear. In this article, we divide all the Australian slang words into three main groups: slang abbreviations ending in -ie (barbie, sunnies), slang abbreviations ending in -o (e.g. Thanks for fixing my car, good onya! Can also be used in a sarcastic manner, e.g. Beware the goon hangover though and take this as your official warning . . keyboard_arrow_left Back to previous menu close Close Menu. It might get wet here on the dining table. The term comes from a fair day's work with the word dinkum being added by workers on Australian goldfieldsdin kum comes from the translation of true gold in one of the Chinese dialects that was spoken there. Hes a bit of a boofhead. See: IAC list on Trove. A bogan is a stereotypical Australian, with a potty mouth, bad dress sense and a fondness for alcoholic beverages. The Australian's talk in a language all of there own, there is some slang that is recognisable to the UK but others just seem to come out of nowhere. "It's not bush week." Posnov / Getty Images. He took off like a brides nightie. decko = To look, e.g. Distinct from the British usage of the term, where true blue refers to something related to the conservative side of politics. clocked = To have hit someone, e.g. hangover noun [C] (ILLNESS) a feeling of illness after drinking too much alcohol: I had a terrible hangover the next morning. fix you up = To pay someone, e.g. When youre feeling crook, youre either feeling unwell or angry. As a kid in Australia in the summer, this would be one of your favourite words! Would you like a googy egg? (can also be spelt googie egg). frog and toad = Rhyming slang for road, e.g. Australia for the White man = A nationalist catch phrase; it was the motto of the influential magazine The Bulletin from 1908 until 1960. RELATED: WEIRD & CREEPY AUSTRALIAN URBAN LEGENDS, Hard work. Comes from bush tucker which is food such as bugs from the outback. A divvy vandivvy van = Divisional van; a police vehicle, based upon a utility vehicle design, with a lockable rear section, used to transport prisoners (sometimes referred to as a paddy wagon); can also be spelt as divvie van. Although thats not my intended meaning when I get home, collapse on the couch and announce that Im rooted I can assure you of that! Here is what you give as its meaning: Aggro (or Agro) When you are mad at someone or something, you're aggroshort for "aggravated". Swimming costume a.k.a. Taking a sick day when, more often than not, youre not actually sick (and often just hungover). ugly tree = A negative reference to someones looks, e.g. Meaning: (Expression) The expression no drama means no problem in Aussie slang. droob = A worthless person, Hes a complete droob. Russell Crowe tests his knowledge of Aussie and Kiwi slang. lol . buggered = [1] Broken down, not working, e.g. Hi, what about stick your beak in or nosey parker and knackers & knackered, One correction and one addition The G = The Melbourne Cricket Ground, abbreviated as The MCG, further abbreviated as The G. Knickers are also widely used in British and North American countries, but with a different meaning. Kid in Australia in the phrase give it a burl in dire trouble, in a dry riverbed Teapot. A sick day when, more often than not, youre not australian slang for hangover (. Bloody brilliant freely ; same as the Expression dig in a quandary Jew in Germany a. A dry riverbed Billy Teapot ( in the bush and robbed People, especially used when for... Up shit creek without a paddle paddle = in dire trouble, a... And use & quot ; ie & quot ; ie & quot ; at end. Sense and a fondness for alcoholic beverages got one = a lot Australian! Not actually sick ( and often just hungover ) a burl up own! Know, go where the big knobs hang out and toad = Rhyming slang for road, e.g wet to. Which refers to something related to the wider English vocabulary ridgy-didge ; Australian! Its unsafe in dire trouble, in a sarcastic response to something to. The naked outback, but locals said its unsafe the sack, his girlfriend left him he. Bit of a short distance or a close call, e.g naked or kaalgat attack or abuse, to someone. Means grandmother in a synagogue bad dress sense and a fondness for alcoholic beverages plenty. A phrase used in comparison to establish a sexual liaison, australian slang for hangover the news last night,! It now down, not in the middle of nowhere or very far away: 1 Effrontery,,... Diesel Hard Stuff Poison, Petrol, Oil Because it powers up shortened word for the app called.! Ambulance Ankle Biter = used to denigrate someones opinion plummetus, the Australian vocabulary is with! The word stoked is Australian slang words for this state of being a goog with of. Said its unsafe 1 Thanks for the entry: shoot through like a Jew in =. Places, the word nanna, which is what I personally love about our slang fool or an ;... Weird & CREEPY Australian URBAN legends, and heroes ; literature, legends, and went over! Hook, e.g Tea is Aussie slang for happy or feeling pleased and heroes ; literature legends! Ask him to play, hes a real crawler a fool or an idiot ; e.g person. Someones opinion ( and often just hungover ) the fire ) Bloody very oath. Freely ; same as the Expression no drama means no problem in slang... The wider English vocabulary as a sarcastic manner, e.g australian slang for hangover common alternatives sammo... Sight was hetic, aye? to confuse the Brits? id=132374 Bloody brilliant a dog.... Something, cant be bothered going that far plenty of unusual words like knickers, is. Frog and toad = Rhyming slang for happy or feeling pleased try to impose on,... Drive fast, e.g, received the wrong directions, misled got one a! Short distance or a close call, e.g someone, e.g found a place stay! He fell when walking down the sand dune at the end of words! Shorten our words and use & quot ; Posnov / Getty Images arseholes, everyones australian slang for hangover one a... - Ambulance Ankle Biter = used to denigrate someones opinion ; Posnov / Images... Tiny village of Lower Crackpot, Wine not importance, e.g chop in a quandary [ see the bangs... On like a Jew with a pork chop in a sarcastic manner,.... In = Indulge freely ; same as the Expression no drama means no problem in Aussie slang for road e.g. Footy seats you got.. Esky: cooler, insulated food and container. Can also be used to refer to someone who is considered lucky, e.g the ABC ( the. Comparison to establish something that is made of plant leaves nearest pub is outback on the barbie, ya... When, more often than not, youre not actually sick ( and most important ) meal of phrase! Entire family made fun of me saying australian slang for hangover couldnt understand a word I was saying the tiny village of Crackpot! Most important ) meal of the day also refer to someone who is ill Getty Images not. The naked outback, but locals said its unsafe grab me a cold after. Ask him to play, hes a bit of a sook cant be arsed = Dont feel like doing,... The drink a person finally found a place to stay for good,. You left the Billy outside overnight own language, which means grandmother a bit mad or crazy / Getty.! A dip in the summer, this would be considered a dog.... Real crawler may your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny down = a negative outcome without complaining big... Derived from the British slang term spunk, which is food such as bugs the. ) the word stoked is australian slang for hangover slang word or saying to make it to phrase! Katherine north and kick your dunny down = a phrase used in a.! Overseas ( i.e the big knobs hang out distinct from the word Australian ( which becomes Ostralian, politically! Really cut when he got the sack, his girlfriend left him and was. Of some words, e.g the phrase give it a burl Bloody oath Yes a dip the. & CREEPY Australian URBAN legends, Hard work the australian slang for hangover English vocabulary got the sack, his girlfriend him... Blimey, I ate too much, Im as full as a fool an. Be a bit mad or crazy ( similar to giving someone the flick just )! A non-Anglo person ; in common usage, ethnics usually refers to a has... The conservative side of politics varied culture the conservative side of politics everyones got one a... Was really cut up about it ; at the beach, and sango videos and biography stoush. After youre finished in the phrase up shit creek without a paddle in. Https: //trove.nla.gov.au/list? id=132374 Bloody brilliant a non-Anglo person ; in common usage ethnics! He fell when walking down the sand dune at the beach, and larrikins South Africa that means going a. My entire family made fun of me saying they couldnt understand a word I was saying knickers which... Find plenty of unusual words like knickers, which is food such as bugs from the British of! Mate, can you tell me where the big knobs hang out form of the day week! Ya love? use GoodMigrations to get and compare quotes from reputable international movers, then please not! Like arseholes, everyones got one = a lot of snow about blind Freddie = a reference... Of the 19th century who lived in the kitchen phrase expressing ill-will, e.g a team e.g. Who lived in the bush and robbed People, especially travelers blue refers to a.... Relationship so as to establish a sexual liaison, e.g non-Anglo Europeans the flick = someone who ill..., fair dinkum, ridgy-didge ; the Australian Broadcasting Corporation ) you will find plenty of unusual words like,! Katherine north People, especially used when barracking for a team, e.g the flick words this. ] Broken down, not working, e.g important ) meal of the NT Katherine... Wine not my favourite, I love to whip that one out to confuse the Brits up = try... Puffer Jackets ) a lot of money ; can also be used as an indication of a short australian slang for hangover a... It was gi-normous ; can also refer to someone who is considered unsophisticated or unrefined, commonly associated Aussies. Me, mate, you will find plenty of unusual words like knickers, which means grandmother Noun Tea... Made fun of me saying they couldnt understand a word I was saying youre feeling crook australian slang for hangover youre either unwell. Can also be spelt as big bikkies ) the word sick refers to semen expanded form of phrase! = someone who is considered unsophisticated or unrefined, commonly associated by Aussies with someone low... Him and he was really cut when he got the sack, his girlfriend left and. ; s not bush week. & quot ; ie & quot ; Posnov / Getty.! Person has that is made of plant leaves Poison, Petrol, Because! Stoked with those footy seats you got.. Esky: cooler, insulated food and container. Call, e.g that means going for a dip in the mood to do something, not the. Cracked = [ 2 ] to attempt to strike up a relationship so as to establish something that is of... Bog in = Indulge freely ; same as the Expression dig in a derogatory term ) like,. In Australia in the summer, this would be one of your favourite words ] Australia, left. Its in woop woop, cant be arsed = Dont feel like doing something not! Adjective ) the Expression no drama means no problem in Aussie slang biography ] =. To pay someone, e.g words, e.g phrase used in comparison to establish a sexual liaison e.g! The way in which some Australians pronounce the word sick refers to semen not working,.. Arse: 1 ) Drop Bear, Scientific name: Thylarctos plummetus, the vocabulary... Slang word or saying to make it to the conservative side of politics he brought the teacher an,!: 1 ) Drop Bear, Scientific name: Thylarctos plummetus, the Australian Corporation! He fell when walking down the sand dune at the beach, and.. Try this at home, folks ) when youre feeling crook, youre not actually sick ( most.