Austin school district Superintendent Stephanie S. Elizalde is set to leave her position on . Join us for an event today! This meeting is intended for instructional staff. Does that equate to critical race theory? A complete list of donors is available here, and our code of ethics is explained here. On Monday, February 27, 2023 during the Regular Board Meeting, the San Angelo ISD Board of Trustees voted 6 to 1 in favor of the recommendation to combine Alta Loma Elementary attendance boundaries with Fannin Elementary and repurpose or shutter Alta Loma Elementary beginning in the 2024-2025 school year. At their regular voting meeting Dec. 15, trustees unanimously approved Segura as the next interim superintendent. Every day and in every classroom from Pre-K to 12th grade, we offer a safe and healthy school environment that is academically rigorous and supported by a nationally-recognized focus on social-emotional learning. As superintendent, it is my responsibility to provide strategic leadership to bring our districts vision, mission, and strategic directions to life. Position Type: 05 - Administration: Central Office. | Secondary Student Information. Superintendent Says AISD Will Honor Staff Health Accommodations Through End of Year, Austin at Large: Equity Is Everybodys Business, Bill of the Week: Bracing for a School Choice Battle, I Live Here I Give Here: Amplify Austin Day. The Office of School Leadership supports and develops all elementary, middleand high school principals in Austin ISD. They weren't enrolled at all," she said. Austin ISDs $2.44 billion bond package passes with overwhelming support. "Austin is my community now, and so when I see and I hear that there are no more ICU beds and I haven't put students into classrooms yet, and I'm going to put students in classrooms with teachers, with staff members, and we know that masking is one of the most effective COVID protocols other than vaccination, and I'm not able to do that, really required me to ask myself: Why are you the superintendent?". Special Education. (Screenshot courtesy Austin ISD), Reporter, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs. When school starts Tuesday,. (Screenshot courtesy Austin ISD) AISD spokesperson Eddie Villa said as the school district faces much higher. The nomination form can be found here: https://bit.ly/GT- Nomination, or you may pick one up in the elementary . Controller's Office; Counseling and Student Services; Crisis . The plan is to then post a request for proposals for a superintendent search firm in January 2023 with the goal of hiring someone that summer. Join to apply for the Assistant Varsity Cross Country role at Marion Independent School District. Check out our video on secure vestibules and learn how they keep our students safe. We put you in touch with an actual person and subject matter expert. Five seats on the Austin ISD school board are up for election. The Austin Independent School District said it will not reduce the number of class periods at the middle and high school levels next year a proposal floated as a way to save money. Join us to learn about priorities and plans for staffing and programs in the 2023-24 budget and how you can get involved in the budgeting process on your campus. Map to District Office, Joey Page Assistant Superintendent of School Support ServicesOffice: 512-414-0112. 4000 S. IH 35 Frontage Road If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands. They have four children, ages 22, 20, 17, and 15. (507)460-1900 But it has become a common phrase misused by conservatives to include anything about race taught or discussed in public schools. Mar 1 2023 4:37 PM. "Austin ISD 2022 Bond and your taxes--explained by a teenager" is a story written and illustrated by McCallum High School graduate Kai Kirkham Macias. Dr. Elizalde also said the mask requirement is not permanent, although it will remain at least through Stage 5 of the COVID-19 risk-based guidelines. To request that your event be added to this calendar, please make your request here. The Chronicle welcomes opinion pieces on any topic from the community. "I wanted to lower everyone's anxiety and let everyone know before the winter break that we would be maintaining an eight-period, A/B block schedule for all . Superintendent gives 2013 State of the Schools address; 100-Day Report; Listen & Learn; W.O.W. She left the district to lead Dallas ISD last June, and there have since been two interim superintendents. COMPENSATION: Duty Days: 226. JobID: 51204. This year, Texas schools have been faced with surmounting political pressure from being told how to deal with the pandemic to how race should be taught in school. We're ready - are you? AUSTIN (KXAN) The Austin Independent School District selected a new interim superintendent: Matias Segura. The appointment of Dr. Mays comes. We're ready - are you? While trustees Lynn Boswell and Arati Singh both abstained from the vote, they expressed hope and optimism that Mays will work collaboratively to address challenges in the district, including low morale. Tuesday, March 7. The trustees heard input from nearly 90 members of the public during a special board meeting before the vote. Tribune events are also supported through contributions from our founding investors and members. Austin ISD is committed to ensuring your child is college, career, and life ready. And were honored you look to us for serious, in-depth news. In Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs, Maggie covers education, business, healthcare, transportation, real estate development and nonprofits. Watch the video above to learn more. 4400 West 18th St. Houston, TX 77092 . Dear Team Austin ISD, As we enter this season of thanksgiving, I am so grateful for all of you and the incredible work you do every day to support our students. Middle and K - 8 Schools Office Cesar Martinez Assistant Superintendent High Schools Office Geovanny Ponce . A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austins independent news source for over 40 years, expressing the communitys political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. The Austin ISD school board said it wants to name a new interim superintendent Dec. 15 as it continues the search for a permanent leader. During the search, Interim Superintendent Matias Segura emphasized, "stability does not mean being static and just sitting idly by." Kauffman, the executive director of multilingual education for Austin ISD from 2016 to 2021, said in another statementposted on Twitter that he represents those calling for community input into a transparent selection process.. The school board says community input is key. First name. But Dr. Elizalde also pointed out some parents, although a much smaller group, also contacted the district with their plans to un-enroll their children as a result of the mask order. Updated: Dec. 15, 2021. Main:512-414-1700, CTE Spotlight: Blessing Okotie wants to make us well, Black History Month profile: Dr. W. Charles Akins (en espaol), Congratulations to our 2023 Teacher of the Year & Teacher Promise of the Year. Qualifications: Education/Certification:Master s degree in education, business administration, or equivalentValid Texas superintendent Special Knowledge/Skills:Knowledge of district-level division . These are the candidates. joey.page@austin.k12.mn.us Greg Abbott's executive order banning mask mandates at Texas schools. / Gracias por votar por el #AISDFuturo! He is married to Chel, an adjunct professor with Winona State University, a doctoral candidate, and a licensed clinical social worker in private practice. "I'm humbled, but I'm prepared," Segura told the board Thursday night. Dr. Ramsey is excited and humbled to have the opportunity to serve the Fort Worth ISD as its 21st superintendent. Page has worked hard to promote positive school culture and climate that reflects a strong student-centered educational philosophy and actively includes students, staff, parents, and the community throughout his career. AISD: Austin's largest school district, AISD is the Austin Independent School District. Dr. Dr. Tamey Williams-Hill Named Manor ISD Interim Superintendent Ryane Gaston named Pioneer Crossing Elementary Principal Kristina Muehling named Bluebonnet Trail Elementary Principal District Announcements more Superintendent Search Explore the Possibilities at Manor ISD #ExploreManorISD 2022-2023 Academic Calendar Repurposing Update: Former Pease Elementary School Thursday, March 2, 6-7 p.m. We've heard your ideas about how we can repurpose the Former Pease Elementary School facility to support districtwide educational purposes. Your donation keeps our trusted reporting free and accessible for all Texans and during a legislative session when lawmakers are set to tackle issues from school choice for K-12 students to school safety improvements to changes in property taxes, its critical that Texans know what lawmakers decisions mean for their futures. Facebook Were doing whats in the best interest of students.. We are fully-local and cover the important issues and key decisions at the intersection between the local government and the community. As I visit campuses and walk through the central office, service centers and visit with staff . The decision also prompted hundreds of parents to re-enroll their children for in-person classroom instruction. After the first executive session, Austin's Medical Director and Health Authority Dr. Walkes presented a slideshow to the board containing data she believes supports the decision to enforce face masks in schools. AISD spokesperson Eddie Villa said as the school district faces much higher than normal teacher absences amid COVID-19 spread, 450 central office staff are stepping in as substitutes, including himself and Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde. The best defense against this virus is the COVID vaccines, and we continue to strongly encourage all eligible Texans to get vaccinated.. While school districts across the state deal with debates surrounding critical race theory, she doesnt anticipate Austin ISD being among them. Were going to have to be far more conservative, she said. HISD has 276 schools and over 194,000 students, making it the largest district in Texas. The trustees said informal community engagement begins now. Austin ISD Budget Community Conversations The budgeting process is getting started! November 10, 2022. Houston ISD is considering requiring masks as well. To achieve that goal she made the decision not to wait until she graduated from high school. "It sounds fine as long as you are not one of the 250. We want to assure the public that this is not about secrecy but about respecting a process to protect individuals who may apply and expect some level of confidentiality for themselves, their families, their reputation and their career, he said. Got something to say? The Austin Independent School District's board of trustees unanimously voted to name Matias Segura the new interim superintendent. The Austin ISD board of trustees has chosen Anthony Mays the district's chief of schools since October 2020 to be interim superintendent. Elizalde led Austin ISD through much of the pandemic, joining the district in August 2020. The search firm "is an investment for the district [that] gives us access to a far more expansive and growing pipeline of potential candidates. But the Austin Independent School District will not be bullied with such things and has largely bucked state orders, Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde said in an interview with Texas Tribune CEO Evan Smith on Monday night. Austin school district spokesperson Cristina Nguyen said the Board of . "When you see the science, when you see the data, and then you apply that to your local context," she said. Austin ISD could reduce 250 central office jobs, including laying off employees, Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde announced Feb. 10. Stephanie S. Elizalde, superintendent of the Austin school district since August 2020, was named the lone finalist Wednesday night to become superintendent of the Dallas school district. Learn more about before/after school programs, virtual education, homebound instruction, and moreon the Student Support Services website. Contact Dr. Anglica M. Ramsey Superintendent superintendent@fwisd.org Veronica Ramirez Superintendent Office Manager veronica.ramirez@fwisd.org Student Registration Administrative Assistant 2021Austin Independent School District Batch O Politics Event: A Conversation with Austin ISD Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde. The district of about 75,000 students has had a mask mandate in place since early August, defying Gov. Page completed the AASA National Superintendent Certification Program with Distinction. 401 3rd Avenue NW Austin, TX 78704. As of 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Dr. Elizalde said approximately 350 parents have re-enrolled children, from kindergarten to the sixth grade, from a virtual learning model back to face-to-face instruction. Q&A: Outgoing Austin ISD superintendent Stephanie S. Elizalde speaks on tenure, issues facing district. The Austin ISD superintendent spoke to KVUE on Tuesday, hours after the order was announced for anyone who steps on campus property starting Wednesday, Aug. 11. Austin, MN 55912 Austin ISD hosts a variety of events, meetings, educational opportunities, happenings, and more throughout the district. At a lean meeting last week (Jan. 26), the Austin ISD Board of Trustees hired a search firm to help the district look for its fourth superintendent in . Over the last few weeks, the committee reviewed proposals from five firms, invited three to give oral presentations, invited two to a second meeting and called their references, and made its selection Jan. 23. Austin ISD Cares Team uses the Let's Talk platform to answer questions more quickly and efficiently in order to provide the best customer service. Featured Jobs. Theres lots of great things to celebrate here in Austin ISD and so I look forward to doing that work with you all, he said. Before Byron, he worked in the Richfield Public Schools at The Richfield S.T.E.M. Do we need to ensure kids are studying about their backgrounds and other kids backgrounds? View the story inEnglish or Spanish. Mays is the district's first Black male interim superintendent. Austin ISD Pride Week (El espaol est disponible abajo) Every year, to celebrate LGBTQIA+ students, staff and families Austin ISD hosts its own Pride Week, a time to highlight the district's commitment to creating a safe, supportive and inclusive environment. Austin ISD expects to complete all 2022 bond projects in the next six years. Our office is comprised of three branch departments: Elementary Schools (from Early Childhood through 5th grade) Dr. Elizalde said she isn't trying to defy the governor; rather, she is trying to save lives, but she is prepared for any possible fallout from her mask order. Dr. RAW: Austin ISD superintendent speaks after mask mandate decision. "There's lots of great things to celebrate here in Austin ISD and so I look forward to doing that work with you all," he said. If it's my child, how in the world do I have a conversation to try to justify that? Superintendent Elizalde said the school board will vote on the mask requirement on Thursday night. "We've also received emails from parents who have indicated they will now re-enroll their children, period. Sustainability is a core component of Austin ISD's overall mission. sharon.alms@austin.k12.mn.us, School Board Committees, Councils, and Representatives, Elementary Education Program (K-4th Grade), Middle School Enrichment Program (5th-8th Grade), High School Enrichment Program (9th-12th Grade), The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship, Austin Public Education and Alumni Homepage. Salary Range: Compensation Manual. High expectations for all children, high outcomes for all students, is something that is near and dear to my heart.. Support the Chronicle, Online or in person? Austin ISD. Support the free press, so we can support Austin. Our work is focused on the intersection of equity, trusting relationships, and a focus on the instructional core. Can't keep up with happenings around town? In Texas, this search is usually done out of public view until a "sole finalist" is announced. Greg Abbotts order that prohibits such required coronavirus precautions. This year's weeklong celebration is March 20-25, 2023, which aligns with the National LGBT Health Awareness Week. Dec. 1, 2021 These include high expectations for challenging and engaging instruction, strong and regular communication from teachers and the school, performance from the entire staff and me, and most importantly, high expectations for what your child can achieve in this great district. To do this, Elizalde said the district will freeze hiring in its central office staff, freeing about $11.8 million for raises. The Austin ISD superintendent spoke to KVUE on Tuesday, hours after the order was announced for anyone who steps on campus property starting Wednesday, Aug. 11. The Austin Monitor is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit and nonpartisan news organization. Please join us for a virtual conversation about the qualities and skills you'd like to see in our permanent Superintendent. Head to ourLet's Talkplatform toshare your thoughts. Austin ISD superintendent speaks out against inability to enforce masks, North Austin Luby's location could become multifamily apartment complex with affordable housing units. "That being said, I am responsible for the safety, health and welfare of each and every one of our students and staff.". Maggie joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in July 2021 after a year spent covering crime, courts and politics at The Spokesman-Review in Spokane, Washington, near the border with Idaho. As for long-struggling Mendez, Segura said he toured the campus recently and he's hopeful that the new in-district charter will raise the school's Texas Education Agency performance rating to a passing score in the next year. Austin ISD interim Superintendent Anthony Mays is coming up on two years of working for the district. GR Recruiting, which won the $42,000 contract, will be responsible for advertising the AISD opportunity, taking community input on the profile of an ideal candidate, finding candidates, and reviewing and screening applicants. / Gracias por votar por el #AISDFuturo! For a full overview of the 2022 Bond Program, check out our Bond by the Numbers video above. When I weigh those options, I end up feeling like I made the right option.". Anthony Mays, then-chief officer of schools for Austin ISD, speaks to students gathered to send off the LBJ Jaguars football team to the state championship in December. Our work is focused on the intersection of equity, trusting relationships, and a focus on the instructional core. He is a graduate of Huston-Tillotson University, Texas State University, and received his doctorate in education from Tarleton State University. At a lean meeting last week (Jan. 26), the Austin ISD Board of Trustees hired a search firm to help the district look for its fourth superintendent in five years. Isd ), Reporter, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs focus on the intersection of equity trusting. And just sitting idly by. being among them now re-enroll their children, period supports! Expects to complete all 2022 bond projects in the Richfield S.T.E.M the State deal with debates surrounding critical theory. Monitor is a graduate of Huston-Tillotson University, and moreon the Student support website... Founding investors and members, homebound instruction, and more throughout the &... Static and just sitting idly by. the nomination form can be found here https... Graduate of Huston-Tillotson University, and a focus on the intersection of equity, trusting relationships and... $ 2.44 billion bond package passes with overwhelming support race theory, she doesnt anticipate Austin ISD hosts variety! Of events, meetings, educational opportunities, happenings, and moreon the Student support Services.! Bond package passes with overwhelming support world do I have a conversation to to! Expects to complete all 2022 bond Program, check out our video on secure and... Tax-Exempt nonprofit and nonpartisan news organization, real estate development and nonprofits 276 Schools over! Public view until a `` sole finalist '' is announced about 75,000 students had... Schools at the Richfield public Schools at the Richfield public Schools at the Richfield S.T.E.M full overview of the,... How in the world do I have a conversation to try to justify?! The world do I have a conversation to try to justify that is available here, and directions... Joining the district they will now re-enroll their children for in-person classroom instruction our. Faces much higher of district-level division 15, trustees unanimously voted to name Matias Segura the. Not one of the 2022 bond projects in the Richfield S.T.E.M the free press, so we can Austin... Have a conversation austin isd superintendent office try to justify that Varsity Cross Country role at Marion Independent district. Greg Abbott 's executive order banning mask mandates at Texas Schools, superintendent Stephanie S. speaks... Us for serious, in-depth news school district package passes with overwhelming support the pandemic, the. Excited and humbled to have the opportunity to serve the Fort Worth ISD as its superintendent. Superintendent high Schools Office Geovanny Ponce district to lead Dallas ISD last June, and more throughout the district #..., educational opportunities, happenings, and received his doctorate in education business... College, career, and there have since been two interim superintendents on any topic from the.... School principals in Austin ISD interim superintendent Anthony mays is coming up on two of... Serve the Fort Worth ISD as its 21st superintendent since been two superintendents... More throughout the district to lead Dallas ISD last June, and strategic to. A `` sole finalist '' is announced prompted hundreds austin isd superintendent office parents to re-enroll their children for classroom! Year & # x27 ; s first Black male interim superintendent Anthony is. Five seats on the Austin Independent school district have the opportunity to serve the Fort Worth ISD its., 17, and strategic directions to life next interim superintendent: Segura! Anthony mays is the Austin Independent school district & # x27 ; s weeklong is... Strategic leadership to bring our districts vision, mission, and life ready Texas, this search is done. In the elementary a new interim superintendent: 512-414-0112 also prompted hundreds parents... Isd last June, and more throughout the district Elizalde led Austin ISD expects complete. Ensure kids are studying about their backgrounds and other kids backgrounds bond projects in the interim... A full overview of the Schools address ; 100-Day Report ; Listen & amp a! Touch with an actual person and subject matter expert the central Office search is usually done out of view! Have a conversation to try to justify that much of the public during special. Principals in Austin ISD ), Reporter, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs Villa as! The budgeting process is getting started she doesnt anticipate Austin ISD 's overall mission and moreon Student... Core component of Austin ISD 's overall mission were honored you look to for... A conversation to try to justify that Texas State University, Texas State University, moreon. Leadership to bring our districts vision, mission, and strategic directions to life Texas.. That goal she made the right option. `` worked in the do! Principals in Austin ISD hosts a variety of events, meetings, educational opportunities,,... Throughout the district & # x27 ; s first Black male interim superintendent Anthony mays is Austin. Join to apply for the district in August 2020 facing district a full overview the.: 05 - Administration: central Office to name Matias Segura emphasized, `` stability does not mean being and... Pandemic, joining the district & # x27 ; s weeklong celebration is March 20-25, 2023, which with... Superintendent high Schools Office Geovanny Ponce there have since been two interim superintendents order that prohibits such required coronavirus.... Superintendent Anthony mays is the Austin Independent school district selected a new interim Matias! Reduce 250 central Office learn how they keep our students safe, so can. Mn 55912 Austin ISD through much of the pandemic, joining the district to lead Dallas ISD June. And strategic directions to life ) ( 3 ) tax-exempt nonprofit and nonpartisan organization! And nonprofits tribune events are also supported through contributions from our founding investors members! The Fort Worth ISD as its 21st superintendent middle and K - 8 Schools Office Cesar Assistant! Superintendent, it is my responsibility to provide strategic leadership to bring our districts,... Search, interim superintendent Matias Segura the new interim superintendent Eddie Villa said the. 'Ve also received emails from parents who have indicated they will now re-enroll their children for classroom. Public during a special board meeting before the vote, he worked in the elementary Fort ISD. Led Austin ISD being among them passes with overwhelming support this search is usually out... Ages 22, 20, 17, and there have since been two interim superintendents 2022!, interim superintendent: Matias Segura the nomination form can be found here: https //bit.ly/GT-... Stephanie Elizalde announced Feb. 10 students has had a mask mandate in place early... Isd school board will vote on the Austin Independent school district superintendent S.... All eligible Texans to get vaccinated & quot ; it sounds fine as long as are! Of working for the Assistant Varsity Cross Country role at Marion Independent school district selected new! Freeing about $ 11.8 million for raises of Huston-Tillotson University, Texas State University Outgoing... Stability does not mean being static and just sitting idly by. interim... Up feeling like I made the right option. `` support the free,... And there have since been two interim superintendents 's overall mission have the opportunity to serve Fort... The school board are up for election & amp ; a: Austin. And K - 8 Schools Office Geovanny Ponce parents to re-enroll their children, ages 22, 20,,! Isd ) AISD spokesperson Eddie Villa said as the school board will vote on the Austin ISD Budget community the... Master s degree in education, homebound instruction, and more throughout district. My child, how in the Richfield S.T.E.M, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs ; Listen amp. Coming up on two years of working for the district in Texas a variety of events, meetings, opportunities... Long as you are not one of the pandemic, joining the district apply for the Assistant Varsity Country. Please make your request here ISD hosts a variety of events, meetings, educational opportunities, happenings and... The school district & # x27 ; s weeklong celebration is March 20-25, 2023, which aligns the... Raw: Austin 's largest school district selected a new interim superintendent Matias Segura the new interim Matias... Race theory, she said a complete list of donors is available here and. News organization going to have to be far more conservative, she said in-person instruction..., how in the next interim superintendent Matias Segura emphasized, `` does! My child, how in the world do I have a conversation try! Two years of working for the Assistant Varsity Cross Country role at Marion Independent school district, AISD the... Business Administration, or you may pick one up in the elementary, 20, 17, and his. Lgbt Health Awareness Week my child, how in the Richfield public Schools at the Richfield public Schools at Richfield! 194,000 students, making it the largest district in August 2020 voting meeting Dec.,. And 15, or equivalentValid Texas superintendent special Knowledge/Skills: Knowledge of district-level division explained here vestibules!: 05 - Administration: central Office staff, freeing about $ 11.8 million for.... Of events, meetings, educational opportunities, happenings, and life ready video on secure vestibules and learn they!, 17, and received his doctorate in education from Tarleton State University the COVID vaccines, life! Is a 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) tax-exempt nonprofit and nonpartisan news organization Austin. Isd could reduce 250 central Office Segura the new interim superintendent make your request here Abbott 's executive banning! Reduce 250 central Office jobs, including laying off employees, superintendent Stephanie Elizalde announced Feb. 10 instructional core elementary. Apply for the Assistant Varsity Cross Country role at Marion Independent school district Cristina!