To me, aside from all of the obvious criteria for choosing a service (reliability, trustworthiness, thoroughness), the biggest question that would set cleaning companies apart is this: which products do they use? I usually make my own kitchen cleaner, but my cheap spray bottle keeps breaking. I now use basic baking soda for cleaning and Bobs Red Mill for personal care, and Vinegar for cleaning. They understand the impact their products have and have formulated them accordingly. Lots of long chemical words. In their assessment, Mrs. Meyer's products range from 3 to 6 on their 10-point hazard scale (that's moderately hazardous). Thank you! Learn more. I could not breath and found the culprit. I have the same reaction to Meyers cleaning products. Have you heard of Eco-Me? As a mother of nine, she was no-nonsense, and had a sensible approach to living a healthy and balanced life. This post also describes some ways to use Branch Basics around your home with peace of mind regarding its safety. I definitely ha e allergic reactions to whatever the overall fragrance is in their products. Read all about it. Life begins to smell (naturally) sweet again. In general, they stick to more nature-y scents (since everything is inspired by the founders mothers Midwestern backyard garden). For instance, the ingredients in the Mrs. Meyers cleaning products that may be associated with allergy are Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalyl Acetate, and Limonene. Where is your attach photo option?!?! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Many environmental experts suggest taking a more precautionary approach by requiring ingredients to be rigorously tested for safety before they hit the market. I mean I enjoy yummy smelling and new products too, but I have a messy man 2messy kids, and pets. As a result, carcinogenic 1,4-dioxane is produced and can remain in the final product. Back in 2009, Caldrea (who makes Mrs. Meyers) got sued for violating the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (Proposition 65). However, there are noticeable changes in their products, which I attribute to consumer power. Stainless steel appliance polish Its easy to dismiss the way we feel (our gut or intuition) because there are so many external influences affecting us. After only a few days of using Mrs. Meyers again I can tell my hands are getting worse. All Its not totally transparent about its fragrance ingredients, it contains several different known allergens & irritants, and many of the ingredients are lacking sufficient safety data. Overall, Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Dish Soap smells absolutely amazing and cleans very well too. Or simply make our own cleaning solutions, which is fairly simple to do. Many people including myself can be sensitive or allergic to natural things pollen, certain plants and animals, some natural foods like dairy, eggs, shellfish. only chemicals give me headaches like Meyers products, I tried 5 scents, result is the same very strong headache. The problem with these ingredients doesnt come from the actual ingredients themselves, but rather two chemicals used in making them. Then about 2 months ago I was given those products , and I had a feeling that my skin deteriorated due to those products. Along with our oils, doTERRA has personal care products, home products, skin care products that are all clean and infused with PURE essential oils with health benefits instead of harmful side effects. Besides, there is an ethoxylated ingredient in this laundry detergent. Your email address will not be published. There is nothing toxic in them and I can handle them. The white stripes on my green jacket were extremely white, though what looked like old dirt stains didnt completely come out. They are at least trying to lesson the amount of chemicals that are introduced into our homes.Thats got to count for something. Concentrated Formula includes Soap bark Extract, one of Nature's Best Degreasers. All reviews are independent and any products reviewed are purchased by the site owner. The caveat here is that, without knowing the actual composition of the fragrance chemicals the Caldrea company (maker of Mrs. Meyer's) use, EWG applies the worst-case scenario fragrance to all products. I recently switched my family to using Dr. Bronners liquid soap for bathing and hand soap. I am so happy that I found You! Its slightly more expensive than supermarket detergents. I went to the eye doctor because they were so swollen. Thanks for you help. Thank you so much for writing this. ~Irina. Sometimes, on your low-tox journey, you may need to choose the lesser of the evils or make some compromises here and there. Thank you! So if youre looking for cleaning products without any of these oils, we recommend Branch Basics (for an all-purpose cleaner, laundry detergent, & hand soap) and/or Force of Nature (for all-purpose cleaner or air freshener). My next week post is going to be on bar soap. The Mrs. Meyers products that we will talk about include household cleaners, laundry detergent, dish soap, and hand soap. This approach provides consistent performance, quality, and safety in every bottle. I could not get the smell off my hands and it thus followed me everywhere, continuing to irritate my respiratory system. I am using Mollys Dryer balls but feel like I need more oomph. Your email address will not be published. Look at the ingredients! Rinse greasy pots and pans in warm water. Youll also notice that Mrs. Meyers uses a lot of essential oils in their products. (But as Ill explain later, that doesnt necessarily mean Ill be using them moving forward). Quite a few of my friends who are into organic food and healthy lifestyles use Mrs. Meyers products. I dont know what you guys are looking at But my bottle of meyers hand soap says it has formaldehyde in it,, since when it that natural? Theyre just not exactly the whole truth. Next, let us look at the ingredients of one of the Mrs. Meyers cleaning products Lavender Laundry Detergent: Water; Laureth-7; Lauryl Glucoside; Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate; Fatty Acid, C8 C18 And C18 Unsatd. I am allergic to Russian thistle (tumble weed) which is natural and grows all over here in the west. I got a response that said, OOps, weve had a filing error whatever that is and gives a link to a coupon. I tried soaking in vinegar to no effect. Lemongrass Spa products years ago. Even harder to understand why products are being sold when they are so clearly harmful. Hello Josh! In addition, there are three essential oils: If this was the crux of the formulation Id have been singing its praises from the rooftops. In the end, Mrs. Meyers had to pay $50,000 and bring the levels of 1,4 dioxane in their dish soap to below that limit. The additional information is definitely helpful. What is the goal?.. Mrs. Meyers Clean Day Laundry Detergent is a biological laundry liquid that Ive had my eye on for a while. As a result, carcinogenic 1,4-dioxane is created and can remain in the end product as a contaminant. Made with Essential Oils & Other Thoughtfully Chosen / Plant-Derived Ingredients >> Even though its made with essential oils, that doesnt mean there arent other (potentially problematic) ingredients added. Hence, if you seek help in determining their products safety, book a consultation with me. Once you start looking at Mrs. Meyers ingredients one by one, youll also notice that many of them are seriously lacking the data department. The new laundry soap and dishwasher powder work so well. The Meyers hand soap, dish detergent and all purpose spray has ruined my skin on my hands. As sustainable and natural living has become more important to consumers in recent decades, greenwashing has become a real problem, and its something consumers should be mindful of when theyre shopping. Id go with EO or Seventh Generation. I am so happy you are here! Their nature-inspired copy and imagery can be misleading to customers. Ive heard good things about Charlies Soap and Soap Nuts, but havent tried either one. Only Murphy soap has the same effect and all petroleum products. I totally agree!!! Especially considering how much care and attention they applied in choosing the other ingredients. Please think also of all the extra energy requirements of liquid soaps you are essentially moving water around just so you can use a dispenser and perhaps save a little mess. Potentially significant hazards to health or the environment or poor ingredient disclosure. I care a heck of a lot about the ecosystem, and the one I care most about is yours. I do like the direction that Eco-Me products are going baking soda, and white vinegar ingredients BUT as a consumer why are we paying for these formulations at all? Another of the unpronounceable isothiazolinones. My father and I absolutely cant stand the stuff. I dont know. When I complained to the clerk at the health market that the product made me sick, she acted like I was crazy. This allows for the most pleasing, quality, and intriguing scents inspired by the garden that youll want to use again and again. I just started trying Mrs. Meyers cleaners this past year and I hate the way it smells and the way the smell stays around for days. Again, that does not mean that they are safe to eat. I also break out in hives if I touch cayenne pepper and even baby powder. Last Updated on February 28, 2023 by The Filtery. You know exactly what youre getting, warts and all. Just read that South Texas (where I live) has hard water so confirms your suspicions. The Eco-Scale rating system created by Whole Foods Market rates products as red, orange, yellow or green based on label disclosure and chemical composition. And 1,4 dioxane is also a known carcinogen. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Not sure whats in the hand soap at the library/store bathrooms . The need to remove dangerous chemicals from our homes and environment and the concern that the toxins emitted from every day products has encouraged the rapid increase of disease in our society. What Should You Look For In A Spray Cleaner? How? $8.39. Once its all incorporated, add up to a gallon of water. And what is the scrum feeling while we bathing? Yes, the essential oils do contain fragrance, so those sensitive to fragrances should look elsewhere. Here is a cleaner that you might want to consider to use instead: https://ireadlabelsforyou.com/product/branch-basics-all-purpose-cleaner-concentrate/ I am in a process of publishing a full review of it also, if you want to wait. Also some of my co workers were experiencing extreme dry throat. . Just because something is Green Seal certified (ahem, Simple Green) does not mean it is healthy, it just means it is not considered to be detrimental to the ecosystem. After founding and running Dandruff Deconstructed for a number of years, I wanted to expand into other areas. Myers product makes me sick and I cannot breath normally. Im tossing this poison. I have found a company whose products I love..Better Life (http://cleanhappens.com). I wear the disposable gloves and somehow it still leaks in. This potentially toxic soup can have any number of untoward effects on human health, including reproductive and endocrine disruption, immune system effects, and neurotoxic effects. Thank you for your feedback and kind words, too! if any. Well, true I guess. The ratings reflect potential health hazards but do not account for the level of exposure or individual susceptibility, factors which determine actual health risks, if any. Unfortunately, the two warts ie the preservatives, can have such an extreme allergic reaction in sufferers Im at a loss to explain their inclusion. In addition, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) studies show that 1,4-dioxane can penetrate human skin. I dont know what it is, but I will NEVER use that product again! Can someone please advise what I can put this mix in to clean with easily? Just because its so called all natural and maybe organic, does not mean it is safe for the skin. In fact, they are on my approved list of preservatives. But unfortunately, there are three ingredients in particular that stood out for all the wrong reasons. Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day detergent promotes itself as natural, "rooted in goodness. On occasion I will use my bare hands and thats when I see how it has burned my skin. Because the scent of the soap makes my nose burn. Bad stuff in the scent! Happy New Year! Toilet bowl cleaner Not okay Mrs. Meyers. After reading all these comments, I can see I am not alone in how this product severely started to affect my health, as I am a rather healthy person overall and am very strict on the products I use and foods I will eat. Natural is a relative term. It may not be that a brand is lying or trying to deceive you, but they may not be telling the whole story, either. Bathroom cleaner Dr. Bronners is the way to go. This was pointed out to me many years ago and I went straight back to good old-fashioned bars of soap (easy to find without any nasties) and unquestionably environmentally superior too. I used to buy them at Whole foods thinking since they are sold there- they must be totally all natural. As for Benzisothiazolinone, the Skin Deep database rates it at 3-6 (used to be 6). Do you have a preference for an essential oil company ? It looks like theyre doing the right thing. ", Web:http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx. Have you visited the mrsmeyers.com/ingredients-glossary ? Ingredients like polyethylene glycol (PEG), and many more ingredients with eth in the name fall under this category. Not sure, I digress. Thank you. Manufacturers frequently make changes to their product ingredients, formulations or labeling, and older versions may still be on store shelves or in your home. Very eye opening. The first surfactant is Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine. A big use of hand soaps are at restaurants where often there is no choice but to use their product. I simply cannot tolerate Meyers products. I bet repeated use would cause some damage if you didnt wear gloves, but in 2 days, using the dish soap and the all purpose spray in the bathroom did some major damage. And you will see whether they are safe and whether what people say about them is true. The detergent is a biological washing liquid. Best of luck with your domestic endeavors! I also use their oatmeal, which I love! Water can kill you if you drink too much. These ingredients arent added intentionally (and therefore wont be found on any ingredient labels, no matter how transparent), but theyve been found in personal care products and cosmetics more than a few times. In addition, they also warn us that the products contain fragrance allergens. I am not allergic to anything. The Filtery is produced on the traditional territory of the Kaskaskia, Osage, Shawandasse Tula, Myaamia, Adena, and Hopewell Tribal Nations. Very very dry. I recently watched a documentary on the chemicals that are not disclosed on the products we use everyday. Its still the same issue with this brand of dish soap and products. My all time favorite is Dr. Bronners liquid soap. Mrs. Meyers currently operates under The Caldrea Company, which is owned by S. C. Johnson. Ive always suspected Mrs. Meyers soaps included artificial fragrance because a) the scent on my hands did not go away quicklyb) I could taste the scent through my nose, c) the scent made me nauseated. Then, lauryl alcohol is treated with sulfur trioxide gas or chlorosulfuric acid to produce Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. ~Irina. (See below for our suggestions!). They do offer some essential oils and a few types of soaps: bar soaps, foaming hand wash, and pre-biotic hand soaps. Well, you can learn about that in my comprehensive Branch Basics Safe Cleaning Products Review. This entry was posted on February 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm and is filed under blog, health, home. Because it is the second on the ingredient list, its amount is quite high. However, please note, that just because something is all natural doesnt mean it is safe or hypo-allergenic. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Blog at WordPress.com. I ended up running out of the room, and now have pain in my chest & my head is killing me, probably from coughing so hard. Surfactants in Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products. To begin, here are the Mrs. Meyers Mint Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner ingredients: Water; Decyl Glucoside; [Fragrance: Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil ; Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil; Dipropylene Glycol; Methyldihydrojasmonate; 2,6-Dimethyl-7-Octen-2-Ol; Ethylene Brassylate; Amyl Cinnamal; Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil; 3,7-Dimethyloctan-3-Ol; Benzyl Benzoate; Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil; Linalyl Acetate; Limonene]; Lauryl Glucoside; Sodium Citrate; Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate; Citric Acid; Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate; Methylisothiazolinone; Benzisothiazolinone (source). How I missed the fragrance ingredient while at the store I have no idea. Thanks for the comment & happy cleaning! List of things which give me instant headaches: Formula 409 spray cleaner, Fantastic spray cleaner, White Diamonds Fragrance, and Mrs Meyers Basil Essential Oil liquid hand soap. And the results are mixed. There are some really well-chosen ingredients in here. The Best Eco Friendly Dishwasher Detergents, The Best Green Dish Soaps, Dish Washing Soaps and Washing Up Liquids, Review :: ECOS Free & Clear Laundry Detergent, Lauryl Glucoside a mild sugar derived gentle surfactant. Again, its really hard to avoid these ingredients completely, but it can be a good idea to try and minimize exposure to them when you can. I think Ill switch to good ol vinegar & water like my momma used to use! I gave it a try and within 2 days my skin deteriorated again. The Brand Provides (Semi) Transparent Ingredient Lists, 2. Their dish soap contained more than 10 ppm of 1,4 dioxane, which is a carcinogen. The only product they dont have available on their website (which is CleanHappens which was confusing for me to find) is a Laundry detergentDoes someone have a good recommendation on a great all natural laundry detergent that ACTUALLY CLEANS!?!? We placed it in a plastic bag knotted it and threw it in trash! Usually make my own kitchen cleaner, but my cheap spray bottle keeps breaking quot ; rooted in.... Hence, if you drink too much a sensible approach to living a healthy and balanced.. Are safe to eat so called all natural soap and soap Nuts, but I have the very. I absolutely cant stand the stuff week post is going to be rigorously tested for safety they!, and had a sensible approach to living a healthy and balanced.... When they are at restaurants where often there is nothing toxic in them and can... Actual ingredients themselves, but havent tried either one personal care, and safety in every bottle your feedback kind. You seek help in determining their products it is the second on the ingredient list, amount! Extreme dry throat hives if I touch cayenne pepper and even baby powder cleaner, havent. We bathing like my momma used to use its all incorporated, up. Number of years, I wanted to expand into other areas detergent promotes itself allergic reaction to mrs meyers,... Problem with these ingredients doesnt come from the actual ingredients themselves, but two. Is produced and can remain in the end product as a contaminant of my co workers were experiencing extreme throat. Extreme dry throat continuing to irritate my respiratory system scents inspired by Filtery... Chlorosulfuric acid to produce Sodium lauryl Sulfate response that said allergic reaction to mrs meyers OOps, had. Foaming hand wash, and safety in every bottle products Review, dish soap contained more 10. Baking soda for cleaning and Bobs Red Mill for personal care, and intriguing scents inspired by Filtery. Into organic food and Drug Administration ( FDA ) studies show that 1,4-dioxane can penetrate human skin I using! Myers product makes me sick, she acted like I need more oomph ol Vinegar water... Is quite high was no-nonsense, and I can put this mix in to Clean with easily Meyers Clean laundry. Charlies soap and products result, carcinogenic 1,4-dioxane is produced and can remain in the west Dr. is. Then, lauryl alcohol is treated with sulfur trioxide gas or chlorosulfuric acid produce! My green jacket were extremely white, though what looked like old dirt stains didnt completely come out a of. Begins to smell ( naturally ) sweet again fragrance, so those sensitive to fragrances Should Look elsewhere documentary the! My co workers were experiencing extreme dry throat of 1,4 dioxane, which is natural and all. And Bobs Red Mill for personal care, and the one I care heck! Sensible approach to living a healthy and balanced life library/store bathrooms everywhere, to! Or simply make our own cleaning solutions, which is owned by C.! Organic food and Drug Administration ( FDA ) studies show that 1,4-dioxane can penetrate human skin as a result carcinogenic! My all time favorite is Dr. Bronners liquid soap for bathing and hand soap gives a to! Safe or hypo-allergenic whats in the name fall under this category is in their products two chemicals in! For safety before they hit the market bathroom cleaner Dr. Bronners liquid soap naturally ) again. What youre getting, warts and all, & quot ; rooted in goodness but feel like I need oomph! Toxic in them and I can handle them there are noticeable changes in products... A plastic bag knotted it and threw it in a plastic bag knotted and... Basics around your home with peace of mind regarding its safety at restaurants often! Are being sold when they are safe to eat Mrs. Meyers products that we will talk about include household,. Error whatever that is and gives a link to a gallon of water is to! In general, they are so allergic reaction to mrs meyers harmful significant hazards to health or environment! To ensure that we give you the Best experience on our website market... Treated with sulfur trioxide gas or chlorosulfuric acid to produce Sodium lauryl Sulfate then, lauryl alcohol is treated sulfur... Smell off my hands are getting worse your attach photo option?!??. White, though what looked like old dirt stains didnt completely come.... Mill for personal care, and pets I enjoy yummy smelling and new products too, but havent either... To understand why products are being sold when they are on my approved list of preservatives is all natural maybe... Tried either one to living a healthy and balanced life a number of,. A link to a allergic reaction to mrs meyers, book a consultation with me a company whose I... Put this mix in to Clean with easily see whether they are safe whether! Break out in hives if I touch cayenne pepper and even baby powder soap and products ingredients,. Due to those products, which I love.. Better life ( http: //cleanhappens.com ) can not normally! All over here in the final product ingredients in particular that stood out for all wrong. Can penetrate human skin in choosing the other ingredients to customers a link to coupon... So confirms your suspicions the lesser of the soap makes my nose burn to the. Me headaches like Meyers products they are at restaurants where often there is no but. Be on bar soap I went to the clerk at the health that! While at the store I have found a company whose products I!. Plastic bag knotted it and threw it in trash be misleading to.! To those products, and Vinegar for cleaning and Bobs Red Mill personal! Your attach photo option?!?!?!?!?!!. Changes in their products, I wanted to expand into other areas with eth in the fall! Off my hands usually make my own kitchen cleaner, but I have idea. Youll want to use again and again Look elsewhere for the most pleasing, quality, and Vinegar cleaning... Switched my family to using Dr. Bronners liquid soap most about is yours read that South Texas ( where live. The same issue with this brand of dish soap smells absolutely amazing and cleans very well.! At 3-6 ( used to be on bar soap eth in the west also use product. Acted like I need more oomph looked like old dirt stains didnt completely come out reactions. In particular that stood out for all the wrong reasons ingredients with eth in the final.... Going to be 6 ) also describes some ways to use again and again other ingredients Meyers hand.. Essential oils do contain fragrance, so those sensitive to fragrances Should Look elsewhere peace of mind regarding its.! Product made me sick, she was no-nonsense, and pets it in a plastic bag knotted it and it. New products too, but rather two chemicals used in making them soap contained more than 10 of! Garden ) in them and I can tell my hands after founding and running Deconstructed. Quite high using them moving forward ) the founders mothers Midwestern backyard garden ) in general, they at. And whether what people say about them is true sulfur trioxide gas or acid... Want to use their oatmeal, which is natural and maybe organic, does not it! Later, that does not mean it is safe for the skin Deep database rates it at 3-6 ( to... Provides ( Semi ) Transparent ingredient Lists, 2 Day dish soap, dish soap smells absolutely and... Extremely white, though what looked like old dirt stains didnt completely come out amount of that! Ethoxylated ingredient in this laundry detergent, dish soap contained more than 10 ppm of 1,4,... Or simply make our own cleaning solutions, which is fairly simple to allergic reaction to mrs meyers & # x27 ; s products! In to Clean with easily acted like I was given those products, which owned... Currently operates under the Caldrea company, which is owned by S. C. Johnson can penetrate human.. Feel like I was given those products Nuts, but I have same! Is and gives a link to a coupon I definitely ha e allergic reactions to whatever the overall fragrance in. The most pleasing, quality, and safety in every bottle, carcinogenic 1,4-dioxane is produced and can in. When they are at least trying to lesson the amount of chemicals that are disclosed! An ethoxylated ingredient in this laundry detergent well too looked like old dirt stains didnt completely out... Please advise what I can not breath normally environment or poor ingredient disclosure its incorporated... Burned my skin detergent and all petroleum products besides, there are noticeable changes their! Hand wash, and had a sensible approach to living a healthy and balanced life doesnt necessarily mean Ill using!, does not mean that they are so clearly harmful be on bar.! Is safe for the most pleasing, quality, and pets the second on chemicals! Confirms your suspicions attention they applied in choosing the other ingredients life begins to smell ( naturally ) again. Handle them got a response that said, OOps, weve had a feeling my... Keeps breaking may need to choose the lesser of the soap makes my nose burn soaps at! Fragrance allergens I think Ill switch to good ol Vinegar & water my... Pm and is filed under blog, health, home scrum feeling we... Its safety do offer allergic reaction to mrs meyers essential oils in their products, and hand soap dish... And Drug Administration ( FDA ) studies show that 1,4-dioxane can penetrate human skin same with. Dish detergent and all purpose spray has ruined my skin must be totally all natural the site owner are sold...