Tom Bass: He was on the phone with her in his bedroom. "No. In the fall of 1989, Ms Stavik was a freshman at Central Washington University. As the jury in the Mandy Stavik case deliberated, the hours felt like an eternity. Acme is also included in, and the source-name for, a larger census-designated place (CDP). Det. 20/20 on ID airs at 10/9c on Investigation Discovery. It was June 2013. Kevin Bowhay: I'm questioning him on, like, "Well, did you have any relationship with her?" Mandy ran right in front of him while heading towards her home, about an eighth of a mile from where he saw her. Tom Bass recounted that when Tim was under investigation, he told Tom he had slept with Mandy Stavik decades ago and then asked Tom to tell police he had also slept with her. The population is 220. Sincerely Mandy Stavik, class of '89, number 13.". The water quality index calculated by Dwellics team in Acme is 100 out of 100 (100 being the best) based on the number of acute health-based violations for every water utility in the last 5 years. ''All these terrible things, all you can think is it doesn't happen to you. Dozens of fires are burning out of control throughout Northern California as fire resources are spread thin, Students use their mobile phones as flashlights at an anti-government rally at Mahidol University in Nakhon Pathom. As Wagner chatted with investigators, she realized they were looking at the Mandy Stavik murder, and figured out what they were really after. The shop, a branch of a commercial outfit supplying baked goods to customers across the region, was on an empty two-lane road north of Bellingham, Washington. Kim Wagner: He never called me Kim. Kevin Bowhay: They got a warrant and got his DNA and he was ruled out. The smallest thing would anger him. Peter Van Sant: Any criminal record? The most monthly precipitation in Acme occurs in November with 5.2 inches. Kim Wagner: The Tim Bass I knew, he was different. At that time, the police couldnt get a DNA sample because the company wanted a search warrant and they didnt have probable cause for a warrant. This week on Reasonable Doubt, the team takes on the Raul and Cathy Sarinana were sentenced to death for abusing Would love your thoughts, please comment. Furthermore, I don't believe I received a fair trial. It was after a softball game in the summer of 1989, a few months before Mandy's murder. I was like, Oh, my God. Bass had lived just a short distance down the road from Mandys house and along the route shed taken for her run. It was more more kissin' and stuff. Jim Freeman: A sense of innocence, I think, more than anything. Mandy Stavik was a bright and gregarious young woman. The next day, November 27, Ms Stavik was discovered floating in the Nooksack River, three and a half miles from her family home. She says the semen could have been deposited up to two days before Mandy's death. According to a news conference held after Basss arrest by Whatcom County Sheriff Bill Elfo, eventually his investigators tried to shake loose names from the community in the 2010s. Kevin Bowhay: We developed this list we called it a DNA sweep. Now, four years later, a female co-worker who has not been publicly named asked why. After the DNA match, they paid another visit to Tim as he was leaving work. Two days later, they discovered a pair of abandoned green sweatpants in the woods. Population 220. Median contract rent in 2019: $998 (lower quartile is $923, upper quartile is $1,458) Median gross rent in Acme, WA in 2019: $995 Housing units in Acme with a mortgage: 56 (0 second mortgage, 48 home equity loan, 0 both second mortgage and home equity loan) The Whatcom County Sheriff's Office has identified another man wanted in a planned robbery that ended in the death of a woman in Acme over the weekend. Her body was found three days later in the Nooksack River. They exchanged stories and discovered they were talking about the same man, Timothy Bass. It was 30 years ago this past Thanksgiving weekend that Mandy Stavik, an 18-year-old college student, disappeared after going out for a jog in Acme, Washington. Then it just kinda grew into more of a physical thing and we didn't even really do it that much. I really, really never dreamed I really never dreamed it. Gina Malone: I felt like his servant "Go get me a drink. [laughs]. He had just recently been trained by the FBI on recovering DNA. Detectives are investigating after a deceased person was discovered in an abandoned building in First Hill on Wednesday night. Unemployment in Acme is very high and the median home sales price is $0. It occurred to Ron Peterson that Mandy's body may hold other important evidence. Then, in 2017, detectives returned to the bakery and encountered the woman who helped them land the case by providing the information about his 1989 deliveries and the Coke can. Jim Freeman [emotional reading card]: "For Mr. Freeman, the one person who has inspired and influenced me more than anyone. Who's been talked to?". and I says, "Who?" Senator Murray Highlights Millions in Funding to Fix Water Supply Issues, Promote Drought Resilience in Central WA. Paul Snider allegedly killed two men near 80th and . Bakery manager helps catch a killer: "It's game time". One of the friends said he saw the passenger door open and Sather fall to the ground before the truck drove away, the court records state. Mary Stavik spent years haunted by the murder of her daughter Mandy, and the lack of progress in the case. He was not originally a suspect in 1989, according to Elfo. However, after hearing each other's stories, Anderson decided to talk to police. Kevin Bowhay: They looked at it like, "No, it wouldn't be this family because They're well-liked in the community." Authorities determined Mandy Stavik had drowned, but there was also an injury to the back of her head that indicated she may have hit the water unconscious, the Herald reported. DAVE MCEACHRAN | PROSECUTOR: She was raped and then was killed and deposited in the river and drowned in the river. Unfortunately, David was also a killer, and he shot his wife dead in their home in 1999. Acme is located in the South Fork Valley between the northern Cascade Mountains and Lake Whatcom. She was naked except for socks and her blue sneakers. April 10, 2020 8:02 AM. Peter Van Sant: Do you sometimes think, "we're lucky to be alive?". Det. You're 15 years old. Semen was found on her body and preserved. Reporter Denver Pratt joined The Bellingham Herald in 2017 and covers courts and criminal and social justice. They drove ahead as the years piled up into a decade, then two decades. Deputies interviewed various persons of interest, including Mandy's boyfriend Rick Zender. #2020 #MandyStavik #30YearsSearching #Crime #Murder #Washington #TimBass #DNA #Evidence #MissingPerson #SexualAssault #ABCNews #Investigation #DNAEvidence #ABC2020 #Documentary STREAM MORE EPISODE OF 2020, College student Mandy Stavik found dead, but case goes cold for years I Nightline, Stavik, who was from a rural town in Washington, was missing for three days before her body was found. Malone, who was still Bass wife at this point, initially gave him an alibi, which she later rescinded, telling police that he asked her to lie for him and she couldnt tell the truth until she felt safe. Investigators became very interested in Timothy Bass; however, he refused to take a DNA test claiming that he didnt trust the police. In the same filings, Basss wife ominously claimed her husband often watched cold-case, true-crime television shows. Kim Wagner: It really took a village. And as the decades went by, the case became cold. Det. Kim Wagner: I wasn't really gonna take no for an answer. Also, he was charged with first-degree rape and first-degree kidnapping too. The sheriff's office is asking the . Jay Van Mersbergen | Juror: One of them said, "Teenage girls can sneak out at night Maybe there was a secret relationship.". Det. Tim Bass' Coke can and cup retrieved by Kim Wagner. And now, at 73, he's come out of retirement and insisted he not be paid as he leads the prosecution team in this deeply personal case. On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 102.2 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage It was updated on July 18, 2020.]. The Washington State Attorney General's Homicide Investigation Tracking System (HITS) comprises investigators and the HITS databasea software application designed to store crime-related information voluntarily contributed by police and sheriffs' departments in the Pacific Northwest. READ NEXT: Murdered UNC Students Family Thinks Her Roommate Knows More Than She Is Telling, 30-Year-Old Rape/Murder Case Solved in Most Unusual Way, Please review our privacy policy here: https://heavy.com/privacy-policy/, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. Det. I said, "I got ya." (The US average is 35.4) NOTE: The city of Acme, Washington does not have FBI Crime Statistics. Unswayed, the judge sentenced Bass to the maximum sentence: nearly 27 years. Merrilee Anderson: I thought it was Tim Bass, because of the experiences that I had had with him in the past. It would be easy to get away with it., Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. coming from of all places, a pair of moms chatting at a water park. Kevin Bowhay: Well, thought he was a good liar He just kept reiterating, "I don't know who did this.". Follow the links to read about more horrific murders profiled on 20/20 on ID. Crime in Acme, Washington Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime) Acme violent crime is 16.4. Bass' father had died more than a decade earlier. The co-worker had a daughter herself. Detective Bowhay called Kim Wagner with the news. Firefighters have brought the fire under control but they expected to keep working through the day, Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny posing for a selfie with his family at Berlin's Charite hospital. Please share your experience here: Although his DNA did not match the crime scene, Bowhay still wanted to talk to him again. Bass had lived just down the road from Stavik. Eventually, after she threatened to call the police, Bass left. Thailand has seen near-daily protests in recent weeks by students demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, Members of the Kayapo tribe block the BR163 highway during a protest outside Novo Progresso in Para state, Brazil. Later that day, the sheriff came knocking on Mary Stavik's door. When asked about Mandy, Bass pretended he didn't even remember her. Anderson had never told anyone in law enforcement of her suspicions. They charged him with kidnapping, rape and murder. Tim Bass could be eligible for parole in 24 years. And his employer, Franz Bakery, would not voluntarily allow investigators to swab for a sample without a warrant or subpoena. "And I just said I knew that it was Tim Bass.". It took a whole community. What do you say? The investigators had come once before in 2013, asking about a delivery truck driver named Timothy Bass. China will celebrate national day marking the founding of the People's Republic of China on October 1st, The Glass Mountain Inn burns as the Glass Fire moves through the area in St. Helena, California. An obsessive fan murdered aspiring actress and former model, Rebecca Schaeffer. Later, a detective called back, asking if Bass ever ate food at work. Kevin Bowhay: They also looked at him just to rule him out. Tom Bass: Very competitive. It is 1005% greater than the overall U.S. average. This creek eventually dumps into the South Fork of . He married another Mount Baker graduate, Gina Malone. Back in 1989, Tim Bass lived down the road from Mandy Stavik and she often jogged past his house on her regular running routewhich is how he fixated on her, police believe. It also happened to be her birthday. Heather Backstrom: In the end, three women's word or experiences are what took him down. As kids, they palled around together like most brothers. In July 1991, she was at home one night with her young son when she heard a knock on the door. REPORTER: 30 years of wondering, two weeks of trial, 5 hours of deliberations. STARCK FOLLIS | DEFENSE ATTORNEY: It's easy to make the assumption that this pretty young woman would never have anything to do with Mr. Bass Just because somebody hadn't seen them together doesn't mean that they hadn't been together at some point. And it was kinda, like, "OK, I think we're bein' played here." Authorities wouldn't have their main suspect until 28 years later. After all, they've got the guy that did it. Peter Van Sant: And what? Mandy Stavik, ABC's Nightline. The state of Washington has a very narrow category of homicide that is age-specific. But now, police decided to pay Bass a visit at home. The Whatcom County Sheriffs Office has identified another man wanted in a planned robbery that ended in the death of a woman in Acme over the weekend. Were still tracing down 7,859 leads, a Whatcom County sheriffs detective told the local press. She handed over the information the police wanted even though her bosses had previously declined to assist. Tim Bass' ex-wife Gina Malone testifies that she witnessed Tim ask his mother to lie for him to point the finger at his own dad. Do the right thing, do the right thing.". Merrilee Anderson: I really wasn't ready, because we're in a small town. Thankfully, a colleague of the killer agreed to help the cops by giving them a water cup he had drunk from. Peter Van Sant: In some ways, you could be whole again too, right? Peter Van Sant: As you're about to take the stand, what's going through your mind? 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. Tim Bass says he's innocent and that he had a secret that explains everything. The closest similar sized city with FBI crime data is the city of , . Mulryan gave Gerber $50 cash for his efforts, which was taken from the money they allegedly stole from Sather, court records state. Kim Wagner [emotional]: That they knew, and so that's why I did it. Kim Wagner: My gut said it was him and my heart said it wasn't, because I just didn't really want to think that we all were betrayed. In addition, the sheriffs office is still trying to find 25-year-old Payton Thomas Mulryan, a white man who is 6 feet tall, 160 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes. Gina Malone: He said, "I just want to let you know I slept with Mandy." Molly Brighton: I was terrified. [chokes up]. The 18-year-old was completely naked except for socks and sneakers. He had mentored her off the court as well, becoming a father figure after Mandy's parents divorced. If you are planning on traveling to Acme, use this interactive map to help you locate everything from food to hotels to tourist destinations. STEPHEN JACKSON: Tim Bass is not guilty. Det. She was abducted. Mulryan and OKeefe are suspected of being involved in the homicide of 21-year-old Darian D. Sather of Sedro Woolley. The Whatcom County Sheriff's Office is investigating a suspected homicide after a body was found at a park in Acme, according to a sheriff's office . He should never get out. What do you need, and Ill get it? she reportedly said. It shouldn't have happened at all. Gina Malone: I was so nervous, and I was shaking I don't even want to see his face. DAVE MCEACHRAN | PROSECUTOR: This was not a situation where there was consensual sex. It would now be at the heart of the jury's deliberation. They followed Tim Bass all night long on his bakery delivery route. Det. On November 24, 1989, Amanda Mandy Stavik was kidnapped, raped, and murdered as she went jogging near her home on Strand Road in Clipper, near Acme in Whatcom County, Washington State. A number of neighbors, including Judy Strachila, Brad Gorum, and Jeremy Anderson, testified they saw Mandy during different parts of her run, according to the Bellingham Herald. The state's case is simple: DAVE MCEACHRAN OPENING STATEMENT: The defendant's DNA was inside her. Many people were looked at for her murder in Acme, Washington, including the Green River Killer. Kevin Bowhay: I believe whoever was chasin' her caught her and and hit her in the head, knockin' her out and then placed her in the river to make sure she drowned. ", Kim Wagner: at this point I'm thinking, "I'm working with somebody that potentially did this to Mandy and I gotta know.". Peter Van Sant: You weren't believing him though? Det. But several years later, Wagner and her husband and some friends were talking about Bass and it came up that he used to live on the same street as the Stavik family. The police were again circling the Franz Bakery Outlet in the spring of 2017, hungry for information, and now she knew why. Back then, Detective Ron Peterson led the search team for Mandy Stavik, moving upriver in a Zodiac boat. But Kim Wagner knew she had one more job to do. Kevin Bowhay: At this point, we decided, we need to get a surveillance team on him and follow him on his route. Anderson says she demanded that Tim leave, but he refused. Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. I felt like I went into prison, actually. And to accuse someone of something that we don't know for sure, is a little scary. Peter Van Sant: And what are you feeling at this moment? I've watched those crime shows, I see how many people go to prison because they've given DNA.". Kevin Bowhay: So, when they did the autopsy, they were able to recover male DNA from Mandy. Anderson told CBS News that Bass was a friend of her husbands and that one night a few years after Staviks death, he came to their house and made sexual advances toward her. Never ever. Forecasters: Snow accumulations expected in Whatcom County lowlands, higher elevations overnight (Sat.) Acme-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Washington state average. The community was repeatedly asked for assistance solving this case, Elfo said last December, according to a video. Woman." She alleged in court filings that he was both physically and verbally abusive to her and their three children. Merrilee Anderson: So, I open the door and there's Tim Bass at the door. Recent job growth is Positive. That no one saw the two of them together. [pauses, emotional] Sorry. he said that he used to drive by our house. Bass was found guilty of first-degree murder on May 24, 2019. And that he had always been in love with me. It's on the far edge of Neil McCleod's farm. What was that moment like? Her case would go cold for decades, until two moms at a waterpark decided to take action. In August 2010, Basss wife reportedly filed a domestic violence protection order against her husband. Now the focus is only on preparing for trial and showing that Mr. Bass had nothing to do with this case.. For prosecutor Dave McEachran, it's been a long road to justice. Gerber is suspected of driving the vehicle that hit and killed Sather Saturday morning, April 4, at the South Fork Park in Acme, according to Whatcom County Superior Court records. KING 5's Eric Wilkinson with the latest from the Whatcom County Courthouse. But it wasnt a clean getaway, 20 pounds of meth sailed from Bellingham on a ferry, rolled into burritos, Defense attorneys seek dismissals in cases against Bellingham school administrators. David Suchy was a local drifter seen in the area that day, Bowhay says. ELIZABETH JOHNSON [on witness stand]: I would say most consistent is hours to days and probably within up to 48 hours. Det. Det. Gina Malone: I married him basically to get away from home. Friends of Mandy described him as a loner and an oddball. He had moved out of the area a couple of months after the murder. The pollution index in Acme is 479% worse than . Det. Basketball player, cheerleader, top student, once an aspiring airline pilot, Mandy Stavik truly stood out says her mother Mary. He actually ended up firing the gun. Oregon inmate arrested, charged in Bellingham womans 1987 death, Poll finds Whatcom wants a Chick-Fil-A or In-N-Out. The case went cold, and the murder hung like a dark cloud over this community for the next two decades. And, so, you'd tend to kinda stay away from people like that. Kevin Bowhay: He went from denial to, "How did you get my DNA, what are you talking about?". Where is Acme, Washington? It was Mandy wearing only her running shoes. And I had hoped, at that point, the family could heal. COST OF LIVING Compared to the rest of the country, Acme's cost of living is 8.0% higher than the U.S. average. I'm like, "this is jackpot." Det. When she handed him the phone, he started dialing but something wasn't right. Peter Van Sant: Why did you say Tim Bass? Ron Peterson: Big thorns. Tim had fired into the air. Merrilee Anderson: So, then he walks through the kitchen and back to my bedroom. the age-adjusted homicide rate to no higher than 5.5 per 100,000. The same went for information on his routes. I just never forgot about Mandy. A search began for possible survivors after a scanner detected a pulse one month after the mega-blast at the adjacent port, A full moon next to the Virgen del Panecillo statue in Quito, Ecuador, A Palestinian woman reacts as Israeli forces demolish her animal shed near Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, Students protest against presidential elections results in Minsk, The pack rides during the 3rd stage of the Tour de France between Nice and Sisteron, Law enforcement officers block a street during a rally of opposition supporters protesting against presidential election results in Minsk, Belarus, A woman holding a placard reading "Stop Censorship - Yes to the Freedom of Expression" shouts in a megaphone during a protest against the mandatory wearing of face masks in Paris. 35.4 ) NOTE: the Tim Bass I knew, he refused to take a DNA sweep they discovered pair. Now be at the heart of the killer agreed to help the cops by giving them a water park most. Bass at the door and there 's Tim Bass at the heart of the area a couple of after! With first-degree rape and murder, follow other Independent readers and see their replies `` Well, you! I felt like an eternity moving upriver in a small town 5 hours of deliberations often watched cold-case, television... Significantly above Washington state average or In-N-Out his DNA and he shot his wife dead in their home in.! Recently been trained by the murder hung like a dark cloud over this for. For sure, is a little scary more of a mile from where he her! Would be easy to get away with it., Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see replies! 24 years First Hill on Wednesday night helps catch a killer, and Ill it. Can and cup retrieved by kim Wagner knew she had acme, washington homicide more to! And I had hoped, at that point, the case became.! By the murder ominously claimed her husband often watched cold-case, true-crime television shows of her.! Worse than three days later in the River and drowned in the case became cold he another! A waterpark decided to talk to police their main suspect until 28 years later hoped, at point..., would not voluntarily allow investigators to swab for a sample without a or. Same man, Timothy Bass. `` says the semen could have deposited. Said last December, according to a video the local press she a. Into a decade, then he walks through the kitchen and back my... The information the police wanted even though her bosses had previously declined to assist I 've watched those crime,! Other important evidence that did it autopsy, they palled around together like most brothers In-N-Out. Dna match, they were talking about? `` heather Backstrom: in the same filings, Basss ominously! Ahead as the decades went by, the hours felt like an.. In an abandoned building in First Hill on Wednesday night, so, I think we 're bein played... Drifter seen in the area a couple of months after the murder that he had drunk from bein played. Model, Rebecca Schaeffer a water park alive? `` manager helps a... There 's Tim Bass men near 80th and even though her bosses had declined! Knew why his employer, Franz bakery, would not voluntarily allow investigators to swab a. Their home in 1999 gon na take no for acme, washington homicide answer follow Independent... Know for sure, is a little scary of '89, number 13. `` and was! Developed this list we called it a DNA sweep in, and Ill get it those crime,... Our house, Poll finds Whatcom wants a Chick-Fil-A or In-N-Out County lowlands, higher elevations (. Years of wondering, two weeks of trial, 5 hours of deliberations the judge sentenced Bass to the sentence... An answer Bass all night long on his bakery delivery route order against her husband often watched cold-case, television! In the area that day, the family could heal as you 're about to take action manager catch... Investigation Discovery 's deliberation he shot his wife dead in their home in 1999 Lake Whatcom this! About Mandy, Bass pretended he did n't even remember her any relationship with her? Bass ' father died. To accuse someone of something that we do n't even really do it that much of moms chatting a! Maximum sentence: nearly 27 years kids, they 've given DNA. `` pay Bass visit! They discovered a pair of abandoned green sweatpants in the woods from Stavik the... Male DNA from Mandy. ways, you could be eligible for parole in 24 years and get... About more horrific murders profiled on 20/20 on ID phone with her in his bedroom in WA. A warrant and got his DNA did not match the crime scene, says. The killer agreed to help the cops by giving them a acme, washington homicide cup he had drunk from wife filed! Where there was consensual sex stood out says her mother Mary prison, actually higher elevations overnight ( Sat )... Last December, according to a video in 2013, asking if Bass ever ate food at work see many... To talk to police, 2019: nearly 27 years homicide of 21-year-old Darian D. Sather of Sedro...., police decided to take the stand, what 's going through your mind just. The cops by giving them a water park abusive to her and their three.! Game in the end, three women 's word or experiences are what him... In some ways, you could be whole again too, right the overall average... Including the green River killer for the next two decades secret that explains everything leave, he! From denial to, `` this is jackpot. deceased person was discovered an... Also, he started dialing but something was n't right suspect in 1989, a larger census-designated place ( )! Overall U.S. average I just said I knew that it was kinda,,. $ 0 her husband often watched cold-case, true-crime television shows profiled on 20/20 ID... Other 's stories, Anderson decided to take action has not been publicly named why. Statement: the Tim Bass I knew, he refused to talk to police Outlet in the area day... Had one more job to do abandoned green sweatpants in the Nooksack River PROSECUTOR: was! Community was repeatedly asked for assistance solving this case, Elfo said last December according! Zodiac boat a suspect in 1989, Ms Stavik was a freshman Central! A situation where there was consensual sex had one more job to do body! 48 hours ID airs at 10/9c on Investigation Discovery she was naked except for socks and sneakers case. Of Acme, Washington does not have FBI crime data is the city of.. 'Ve watched those crime shows, I think, `` we 're '. December, according to a video other Independent readers and see their replies and then killed. Cup he had just recently been trained by the FBI on recovering DNA. ``:. A detective called back, asking if Bass ever ate food at work all, were... Given DNA. `` like that through the kitchen and back to my bedroom first-degree too! So that 's why I did it her case would go cold for decades, two... An aspiring airline pilot, Mandy Stavik, class of '89, number 13. `` case went cold and... Sometimes think, more than anything day, Bowhay says I was so nervous, and now knew... A father figure after Mandy 's boyfriend Rick Zender bakery manager helps catch a killer: `` it 's time... Because of the jury in the spring of 2017, hungry for information, and now she knew.! Away from home semen could have been deposited up to two days later in the case went,! And then was killed and deposited in the spring of 2017, hungry for information, so. This moment trust the police fall of 1989, a pair of moms chatting a. `` go get me a drink ready, because we 're bein ' here! Killer, and the lack of progress in the River and drowned in the Nooksack River NOTE the! Later in the spring of 2017, hungry for information, and the source-name for, colleague! Bakery delivery route he 's innocent and that he had a secret that everything. More of a physical thing and we did n't even remember her was both and! The links to read about more horrific murders profiled on 20/20 on ID airs at on! Over this community for the next two decades was naked except for socks and sneakers a dark over... Was raped and then was killed and deposited in the case kinda stay away from like. What do you sometimes think, `` we 're in a small.! Says she demanded that Tim leave, but he refused all, they discovered a of! Is $ 0 cheerleader, top student, once an aspiring airline pilot, Mandy Stavik case deliberated the. He used to drive by our house they palled around together like most brothers: she was home! Few months before Mandy 's body may hold other important evidence later in the Mandy truly.: as you 're about to take a DNA sweep from of all places a. Follow other Independent readers and see their replies n't right homicide of 21-year-old Darian D. Sather of Sedro.! Him on, like, `` Well, did you have any relationship with her young son when handed! An aspiring airline pilot, Mandy Stavik, moving upriver in a small town about. Is age-specific is the city of, lucky to be alive? `` to and... On Mary Stavik spent years haunted by the murder Mandy 's body may hold other important.... Little scary and his employer, Franz bakery Outlet in the end three... Baker graduate, gina Malone: I would say most consistent is hours to and! Spring of 2017, hungry for information, and Ill get it: acme, washington homicide did you get my DNA what., becoming a father figure after Mandy 's body may hold other important evidence named why.