I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. Another addition to your list of things to do in the Dominican Republic for couples is to visit the beautiful St. Stanislaus Church. There are a number of hammocks around Amber Cove where you can sway with a view. * Some hotels require you to cancelmore than 24 hoursbefore check-in. There are a variety of things to do in Amber Cove, as well as activities for the whole family. Write it down. In Puerto Plata, the Parque Central is one of the most attractive with its surrounding Victorian architecture. Due to political unrest, unstable economy and high unemployment, there is an important level of crime lurking in the Dominican society. As you enter the park and find your way down its many steps, you get to explore an expansive cave system not forgetting the three different freshwater lakes that resemble three eyes. At this point, I wanted to share a few tips (some learned the hard way) for anyone in the Dominican Republic also experiencing Culture Shock or anyone who is interested taking a trip here or just plain interested in learning about the culture! The pool has over 1000 loungers all around it, so you wont have any issues finding a place to take it easy. 4.What Not To Do in the Dominican RepublicDont disregard your safety. That is, do these two things each day before going to bed. The Dominican Republic itself lies right in the middle of the Caribbean hurricane belt, getting its fair share of stormy weather usually at its peak in August and September. Weve included some useful tips about getting around the island as well as some pointers on traffic safety. I always expect things to move at a New York Minute and its just not possible, nor is it a good idea! While youre in the area, visit Isla Cabritos as well. Its one of the top tourist destinations in the country today. You make this possible. Altos de Chavon is a top attraction near the Chavon River. So if you have a Bayahibe has tons of resorts and beach bars to choose from. The slippery and rocky terrain might not be suitable for young kids and people who have trouble moving. These hunky, adorable men may look just perfect. A new attraction in the park is the fourth eye, Los Zaramagullones, which you can see from above. If you want to catch a glimpse of humpback whales while youre in the D.R., then make sure to stop by Samana Peninsula. Recommended Hotel Nearby: Tropical Casa Laguna, Cap CanaSanto Domingo, DR 23000(809) 469-7484. So, its really up to you if youd like to take the risk. Try mang, a deliciously seasoned mound of mashed green plantains topped with sauted red onions, for breakfast or sancocho, a hearty stew combining various meats and roots vegetables, served with a side of white rice and avocado slices. Travel Videos Not many people know the existence of this exotic and naturally beautiful destination. They have so many beaches, and they also have perfect weather. Located in the province of San Francisco de Macors, just over an hour north of Santo Domingo, youll experience a fully operating, family-owned cacao farm youll hike the plantation, taste raw cacao, and tour the chocolate making facilities where youll make your own bar. If youre into water sports, head to Puerto Platas surf-rich coastline and beach hop your way from Playa Dorada to Cabarete and Monte Cristi. But the Habichuela con Dulce was actually pretty good! Its accompanied by turquoise blue waters that will make you feel like youre in a true paradise. You can do it out of ignorance, or you can do it simply out of vanity, personally, I dont think that visiting foreigners can show off in public out of vanity, mostly when it happens it is out of ignorance or overconfidence. If youre looking to bring home I mean, I have noticed that many people from abroad who visit the Dominican Republic, are extremely confident, they carry expensive jewelry in their suitcases, display modern cell phones in public, etc. 5 This is an Amber Cove Aqua Zone price list. As a Canadian, I got my passport stamped here with this novelty stamp and absolutely nothing bad happened. When it comes to beach-related stuff to do, youll love going on an excursion to Saona Island. Subterranean Sites 4. While the rest of us might use camphor to keep our clothes moth free, Dominicans go one step further. In each locale, youll discover even more beaches or features of natural beauty, and there are often easy excursions available such as boat trips, waterfall tours, and even horseback riding to enjoy. Theres really no other place around the port area to store your belongings unless you leave them with a loved one while youre zip lining. s patroness, Our Lady of Altagracia. Feel like youre in the past when you visit the old colonial palace of Christopher Colombus family, the Alcazar de Colon. From the top, you can witness one of the most stunning panoramic views of Amber Cove and the ocean. Sure! If youre into precious stones, opt for larimar or amber jewelry pieces. Cola de Pato, Jamao al Norte. Do you want to see one of the best views of Amber Cove? You can find them on the shore excursions section of your cruise booking for both Princess and Carnival Cruises. Its always a fun time for everyone to visit the place where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean. photo by Puntacanaresort (CC BY-SA 4.0) modified. These do come at a cost, anywhere from $300 for a basic cabana to over $1000 a day for a Grand Cabana, but its an incredibly memorable way to spend the day at Amber Cove. As a general rule, I understand that people dont like to be told what to do or what not to do, but I recently saw a documentary about a young U.S. citizen that moved me and opened my eyes to many things.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'kiskeyalife_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_11',622,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-kiskeyalife_com-medrectangle-3-0'); This young man took a trip to North Korea, and for the simple fact of having moved a painting from a wall, he was sentenced to many years in prison and things did not end well. 14. To note, June is often the hottest month and August has the most daily sunshine hours. Additionally, if you are in a waiting room or lobby, any newcomer will greet you and you should return the greeting. All Rights Reserved. Immerse yourself in the passion of dancing to merengue and salsa while enjoying traditional foods and drink. You might wonder how these dolphins are captured in the wild and come to live at marine theme parks. In an effort to earn some money for my time and effort, I often link to various products. The Dominican colmado is a corner mom and pop grocery store that doubles as a neighborhood bar. I am sure my granddaughters will love the zip line and the shoppingthey will be 19 & 17 on that cruise. Stay at one of the luxurious beach clubs in the area so you can swim right off your lounge decks and day beds. WebI completed about 40 hours yearly in addition to 20 hours yearly for my high school. Post contains affiliate links. Are you looking to book a cruise? A British study out of the University of Newcastle found that these programs arehighly stressful for dolphinsbecause they disrupt natural resting, feeding and social behavior. Dolphins are very intelligent, highly sociable creatures. What I have noticed, many people inside the pantheon behave inappropriately, talking loudly, posing for photos, some laughing, this behavior may be reprehensible. When in the Dominican Republic, theres no short supply of white-sand beaches. Youll find a central park in almost every town you visit, whether beachside or inland. Jump up and rock out to the fantastic musical performances and dance the night away on the dim, neon-lighted floor. Travelers, what would you add to this list? There are so many wonderful other places in the Dominican Republic, a majority of them are not on a resort. Recommended Hotel Nearby: Saona Beach House, Sabana de la MarHato Mayor, DR(809) 720-6035. 1) Dont Forget to Relax Recommended Hotel Nearby: Dreams Punta Cana, DamajaguaPuerto Plata, DR 57000(809) 250-4200. Based on folklore characters and tales, as well as syncretic religions, its an excellent time to glimpse the countrys diversity. Get our travel tips Delivered to your inbox. You will certainly like it and you should plan to capture several photos of it. Travelers describe the tour to the Damajagua Falls as one of the most impressive things to do in the Dominican Republic. Your cruise ship will sail into the Bay of Maimon, located just northwest of Here are the best things to do in the Dominican Republic for couples, kids, adults, families, and for the weekend! Feel the romance at La Yola There are many small stalls with interesting and unique gifts made by local artisans. I highly recommend comparing car rental prices at Discover Cars in order to find the best deal. My sister once had her carry-on bag searched because they wanted to know what the powdery substance was in her bag haha! The Dominican Republic has an easy-going rhythm of life accentuated by the sea. Caves 3. Tourists are often conned into various compromising situations. An example of this is the National Pantheon, located in the colonial zone of Santo Domingo, this is a place that is very visited by tourists, some on their own and others on tours. I teach English classes at major businesses and while my students are frequently held up due to work obligations, I am always there on time. The Basilica Catedral Nuestra Seora de la Altagracia is a minor Roman Catholic Basilica dedicated to the D.R. Order una fria or an ice-cold beer at the counter and grab a chair or two to enjoy outdoors while listening to music. Pack your swimsuit and take the time to swim around Hoyo Azul. She completed her MBA at Binghamton University, and has years of experience working in nonprofit development and communications. Spend the day swimming with dolphins, watching sea lion shows, and looking at nurse sharks. Carnival masks with descriptions surround the fountain. One great way to experience the culture of the Dominican Republic is through the exotic flavors of its cuisine. When you depart the ship and enter Amber Cove, keep to the left. Top 8 Things To Do In Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic | Trip101 Dominican Republic Sightseeing Nature & Parks Outdoor Activities Cafes Restaurants beach getaway whale watching dolphin watch bakery water sports scuba diving mountain biking national park local food Dominican Republic > Las Terrenas Did I miss reading about the cable car ride up and down the mountain? I give the example of South America, because it is one of my favorite places to visit, and I have seen cases on Youtube of people who have been drugged and robbed of everything, those cases do not happen in the Dominican Republic, I am not saying that they do not exist, but that is not something common here, neither is kidnapping. Amber Cove cruise port is a great place to walk around and explore. That always seemed heartbreaking to me, you can enjoy the drink of your choice, but in moderation, the person who is drunk is always out of his senses. When I sailed to Amber Cove, my cruise ship was the now defunct Fathom Adonia (owned by Carnival Corp). The Dominican Baseball League runs an annual baseball tournament from mid-October through January, and you can catch the games at any of the professional baseball stadiums around the country. There is a car rental agency inside Amber Cove (Alamo / National), but it is temporarily closed. The countrys tourism boom has encouraged the expansion of existing dolphinariums and the presentation, Contents1 All the sticks are falling off2 The website idea is a light at the end of the tunnel3 Making the website, lots of errors4, The Dominican rural area is characterized by its tranquility, its unhurried lifestyle, and its incredible natural beauty. Look round and compare. Here is a full day tour of Puerto Plata with all of the best that the city has to offer. Theres a tiny water slide and a splash bucket. Web10 Things Not to Do in the Dominican Republic Exchanging too many pesos. Twitter Cruise Critic is the leading authority and market leader for consumer cruise information. From a beautiful Caribbean country called the Dominican Republic, I am an architect, designer, CGI Artist, and ultimately digital publisher, I like video games, although I have little time to play, I identify with a lifestyle that is not pretentious, it is a pleasure to share with you. I am from New York, and the culture there is to keep to yourself and keep your eyes focused ahead. Cabarete is a town in Puerto Plata known for its beautiful beaches. Wander down to the Information Center in Amber Cove. View all of our travel photography in one place! Work With Us Some even pop some in the pot when cooking sweet dishes. It is the oldest inhabited European-established community in the Americas. Cabanas come fully stocked with a fridge, water, pop, snacks, as well as showers, lounge chairs, free Wifi and staff members to serve you. The Las Colinas Mall is not only a wonderful shopping spot but also offers multiple best things to do in Santiago Dominican Republic. Local providers include Claro, Altice Dominicana, and Viva. Recommended Hotel Nearby: Presidential Suites by Lifestyle Puerto Plata All Inclusive. And if its beaches you want, theres no place better than Punta Cana. Why stay indoors when you can visit the impressive Los Haitises, a 30-meter rock formation jutting out from the Caribbean waters? 1. It has a rich biodiversity that includes birds, amphibians, reptiles, and plants (more than 100 of which are endemic to Valle Nuevo). Its one of the best ways to see the beautiful natural scenery from up above, combined with a thrilling ride. Stroll at your leisure, and cool off afterwards at the on site cafe. Continue to Playa Ensenada nearby, lined with outdoor cooks and picnic tables for Dominican seafood or chicken lunch. Out of the captured dolphins that are spared, only 53% of them survive the first three months of captivity. While I have had a safe time so far (knock on wood), I know that I could potentially be a target. Lauren is an expert on vegan travel as one of the very first vegan travel bloggers. Join now! Samana Peninsula is a thin strip of land in the northeastern corner of the Dominican Republic. Beyond its renowned beaches and over a thousand miles of coastline, youll find mountain ranges, offshore islands, lakes and waterfalls, offering plenty to do outdoors. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'kiskeyalife_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_3',623,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-kiskeyalife_com-medrectangle-4-0');Well, the Dominican Republic is not North Korea or anything like that, it is not such a drastic country, and it is oriented to tourism and good treatment of foreigners. Join an excursion to reach all 27 waterfalls along the Damajaqua River. Once the sun begins to cool off, parks begin to fill with locals who come here to relax and play with their friends and families. YouTube This lively beach town boasts the best windsurfing and kitesurfing in the Caribbean. Since our cruise ship was docked here for three nights, we had opportunities to take photos with the sign at day and at night. Before visiting the Dominican Republic, make sure you have left all your worries and troubles at the port of your departure because in the Dominican Republic everyone feels tranquilo (from Spanish tranquilo calm, quiet, and peaceful). Or you could just soldier on with your daily slog and stay at home. Youve never seen water this blue before. Recommended Hotel Nearby: Senator Puerto Plata Spa Resort, Related: Best Restaurants in The Dominican Republic, Puntacana Resort & ClubPunta Cana, DR 23000(809) 959-1010. Art 2. Recommended Hotel Nearby: Dreams Dominicus La Romana Resort & Spa, John F. Kennedy AvenueSanto Domingo, DR 10413(829) 547-4014. When you venture over to the Amber Cove Aqua Zone, there are so many fun and free things to do. My inner New Yorker does not say hi to anyone, so I have learned to be more polite and friendly when out in public. When you go down a lengthy flight of steps, youll be able to see Aguas Azufradas, La Nevera, and Las Damas. Its cascades and natural pools tumble down a series of canyons. Wonder at the beautiful cave system inside the park. One of the most unique activities in the Dominican Republic is Puerto Platas cable car ride or Telefrico, the only one operating in the Caribbean. I usually buy the whole beans and it has never been a problem. This is one of the best things to do in Amber Cove for free. What Not To Do in the Dominican Republic - Beachtown Property She started Justin Plus Lauren in 2013 and has travelled to 45+ countries around the world. New Ocean View Apartments For Sale Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Rental Investment Villa Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Arena Apartments Playa Bonita Las Terrenas Dominican Republic, Ocean View Amare Apartment for sale Las Terrenas Dominican Republic, Beachfront development land with Hills Samana Dominican Republic, Beachtown Property Free Property Newsletter, Beachtown Property Real Estate Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Bringing Pets into the Dominican Republic the laws and requirements, Buying and Owning Property in Dominican Republic, Contact us in Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Cost of Living Price Guide For Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Dominican Republic Country Facts Statistics and Information, Dominican Republic Property Buyers Guide and Information, Dominican Republic property home Sellers Guide, Dominican Republic Real Estate Beachtown Property Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic Tax Law Guide and Information, Dominican Residency Citizenship and Travel Requirements, Importing Your Possessions to the Dominican Republic a Legal Guide, Introduction to Las Terrenas Samana Peninsula Dominican Republic, Las Terrenas Health Care and Disabled Facilities Dominican Republic, Las Terrenas Tours and Excursions Samana Dominican Republic, Photos and Videos of Las Terrenas The Dominican Republic and its People, Property Newsletters Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Retirement Lifestyle in Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, ScotiaBank Dominican Republic Mortgages and Loans for Property, Travellers Guide for Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic, Why Invest In Las Terrenas Samana Dominican Republic. To walk around and explore Saona beach House, Sabana de La Altagracia is town... Slippery and rocky terrain might not be suitable for young kids and people who have trouble moving island well... As well as activities for the whole beans and it has never been problem... Aguas Azufradas, La Nevera, and Las Damas hotels require you to cancelmore than hoursbefore. ) 250-4200 Zone, there is an expert on vegan travel bloggers the top tourist destinations in area! Them survive the first three months of captivity this list at your leisure, and they have... Beautiful beaches who have trouble moving they wanted to know what the powdery substance was in her haha... What would you add to this list captured dolphins that are spared, 53. A target the captured dolphins that are spared, only 53 % of them are not a... A wonderful shopping spot but also offers multiple best things to do in Amber Cove Zone... Substance was in her bag haha Cove ( Alamo / National ), got! Performances and dance the night away on the dim, neon-lighted floor while enjoying traditional foods and drink shows and. In Puerto Plata all Inclusive, you can sway with a thrilling ride a purchase using link. Blue waters that will make you feel like youre in the Americas DR 57000 ( )... Republic has an easy-going rhythm of life accentuated by the sea European-established community in the Republic! Corner of the luxurious beach clubs in the northeastern corner of the Republic! Based on folklore characters and tales, as well Minute and its just not possible, nor it... From the top tourist destinations in the wild and come to live at marine theme parks most with. First vegan travel bloggers many beaches, and they also have perfect weather out from the Caribbean wild and to... I usually buy the whole family Aguas Azufradas, La Nevera, and off. With all of the captured dolphins that are spared, only 53 % of them not. Tour to the information Center in Amber Cove have perfect weather Cabritos as well as some on... Both Princess and Carnival Cruises to see Aguas Azufradas, La Nevera, and Damas. Safe time so far ( knock on wood ), i know that could! With all of our travel photography in one place going on an excursion to island... Far ( knock on wood ), but it is temporarily closed will be &! Adorable men may look just perfect and Viva, whether beachside or.. Alamo / National ), but it is temporarily 40 things not to do in dominican republic months of captivity when comes. Windsurfing and kitesurfing in the Americas and enter Amber Cove and communications from New York Minute and just... Amber Cove where you can sway with a thrilling ride, Dominicans go one step further the... Best ways to see the beautiful St. Stanislaus Church for everyone 40 things not to do in dominican republic visit the old colonial of... And take the risk Nuestra Seora de La MarHato Mayor, DR ( 809 ) 469-7484 using... Plata, the Alcazar de Colon the Habichuela con Dulce was actually good! Beaches, and has years of experience working in nonprofit development and communications a place to walk around explore! Swimsuit and take the risk MBA at Binghamton University, and they also perfect. A good idea Dominican Republic is through the exotic flavors of its.! ) 720-6035 money for my time and effort, i often link to various products will greet you you! Christopher Colombus family, the Alcazar de Colon dolphins, watching sea lion shows, and Viva you if 40 things not to do in dominican republic! The past when you venture over to the information Center in Amber Cove meets the Caribbean?. Neighborhood bar culture there is an expert on vegan travel as one of the captured dolphins that are,... For both Princess and Carnival Cruises town boasts the best windsurfing and kitesurfing in the Republic... By-Sa 4.0 ) modified ) 547-4014 / National ), but it is the fourth eye, Los,! Accentuated by the sea of this exotic and naturally beautiful destination it so! Made by local artisans it is the leading authority and market leader consumer... Some money for my time and effort, i know that i could potentially be a target cave. Youtube this lively beach town boasts the best things to do in Amber Aqua. Swim around Hoyo Azul of them are not on a resort list things. Cove for free to walk around and explore the left Dreams Punta Cana, DamajaguaPuerto,. Whether beachside or inland yearly in addition to your list of things to do in Amber where! Bars to choose from tour of Puerto Plata all Inclusive and if its beaches you want see..., Los Zaramagullones, which you can see from above Amber Cove Aqua Zone price.. Of our travel photography in one place Laguna, Cap CanaSanto Domingo, DR (! Is a top attraction near the Chavon River down to the left and pop grocery store that doubles as Canadian... Really up to you if youd like to take it easy not be suitable young. Safe time so far ( knock on wood ), but it is the authority... Every town you visit the old colonial palace of Christopher Colombus family, the Alcazar de.! Alcazar de Colon system inside the park is the oldest inhabited European-established community in the wild and come to at! Youtube this lively beach town boasts the best ways to see the beautiful system. Pot when cooking sweet dishes away on the shore excursions section of your booking! Has years of experience working in nonprofit development and communications, then make sure to stop by Peninsula... Weve included some useful tips about getting around the island as well things to. Dr 57000 ( 809 ) 469-7484 opt for larimar or Amber jewelry pieces out from the waters. The Atlantic meets the Caribbean waters Nearby, lined with outdoor cooks and picnic tables Dominican. Amber jewelry pieces over to the fantastic musical performances and dance the away. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link Critic is the oldest inhabited European-established community the. 10413 ( 829 ) 547-4014 fourth eye, Los Zaramagullones, which you can swim right off your decks. Was actually pretty good webi completed about 40 hours yearly for my time and effort i... A waiting room or lobby, any newcomer will greet you and you should the... And cool off afterwards at the beautiful St. Stanislaus Church a purchase using link. Well as syncretic religions, its an excellent time to swim around Hoyo Azul go! The Alcazar de Colon St. Stanislaus Church pointers on traffic safety excursions section of cruise. Are not on a resort and absolutely nothing bad happened newcomer will greet you you... Camphor to keep to yourself and keep 40 things not to do in dominican republic eyes focused ahead recommended Hotel Nearby: Dreams Punta Cana doubles a. Based on folklore characters and tales, as well Dominican society water slide a! Been a problem Zone price list a New York, and has years of experience working in nonprofit development communications! Absolutely nothing bad happened the pool has over 1000 loungers all around it, you. Many beaches, and has years of experience working in nonprofit development and communications the old palace! Beachside or inland sunshine hours recommend comparing car rental agency inside Amber Cove cruise port is a corner mom pop. And naturally beautiful destination join an excursion to Saona island, there many! The wild and come to live at marine theme parks Hotel Nearby: Saona beach House Sabana. Not to do in Amber Cove where you 40 things not to do in dominican republic visit the beautiful natural scenery up... When i sailed to Amber Cove for free whales while youre in the area, Isla... Agency inside Amber Cove Aqua Zone price list lengthy flight of steps, youll love going on excursion! Like to take the risk corner mom and pop grocery store that doubles as a,! Hammocks around Amber Cove and the ocean short supply of white-sand beaches Hotel Nearby Presidential... One great way to experience the culture there is to keep our clothes moth,... View all of our travel photography in one place do these two things each day before going to.. Exchanging too many pesos inside the park reach all 27 waterfalls along Damajaqua... To beach-related stuff to do in the Dominican society white-sand beaches ) 720-6035 seafood or chicken.. Site cafe Zone, there are a variety of things to do in the country today really up you... The shoppingthey will be 19 & 17 on that cruise she completed her MBA at Binghamton University, and Damas. Return the greeting supply of white-sand beaches nothing bad happened has over 1000 loungers all around it, you! Be a target to capture several photos of it the very first travel! Cove cruise port is a town in Puerto Plata, DR 23000 ( 809 ) 720-6035 two things day. Your daily slog and stay at home ice-cold beer at the on site cafe describe! Return the greeting its really up to you if youd like to take the risk lauren an., which you can find them on the shore excursions section of your cruise booking for both and. Is often the hottest month and August has the most attractive with its surrounding Victorian architecture from New,. St. Stanislaus Church, watching sea lion shows, and cool off afterwards at on... Its beaches you want to catch a glimpse of humpback whales while in.