The 225-grain load in an eight-pound rifle should generate about 40.8 ft-lb of recoil energy. Mag. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. You can up your odds by having a great elk tag, choosing a great area, booking a high fence hunt. A 22LR cartridge can fell a bull elephant under the right conditions, and a newborn squirrel can survive a 50 BMG round under other specific conditions. That measurement is generally about 30. Most big mature bulls will have main beams close to 50 inches long. Click to reveal I feel pretty blessed not to have to subscribe to Hunttalk and be able to read countless hunting stories including two 400 inch bulls this year as well. From: WapitiBob 20-Apr-12 Lots of folks like .30-caliber magnums for elk hunting, and they work exceptionally well. You want to look for anything that is sticking out or extraordinary. .tg .tg-sklq { It can be loaded with everything from 100-grain Sierra Hollow Points to 195-grain Berger Elite Hunters. Bulls with curvy looking points score well. You may want to do the same with a taxidermist in your area. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The sponsor (winning bidder of the auction) paid to send Cody Scriver, a nine-year Marine veteran who . Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. Long brow tines usually will follow the nose and then curl or bend upward. It has nice tails but the 4 is a little short as well as the 3. In comparison a 250-grain slug at 2,600 fps will churn up just 3,750 ft-lb. Look to something that fires a 7mm or bigger heavy-for-caliber projectile at around 3,000 fps. Mag. I will be very happy to harvest one of those and I know my dad will be thrilled. Second, I forgot which socks are my lucky ones. Plus, ammo is available in just about every sporting goods shop across the West. A bull with 6 tines on each side is called a 6X6 ("6 by 6"). Cartridge means the case that holds the powder that drives the bullet. Mag. Factory ammo performs neck and neck with the legendary .300 Win. border-width: 1px; What's New in Bowhunting World Mag., and you understand why its not just the most popular .300 magnum of all time, but one of the best all-round elk calibers of all time. Our typical bulls will average 400-430" and the sky's the limit for non-typicals. No further movement. Your IP: Recoil is brisk, and barrel life will likely be short. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Lighter recoil matched to .300 Win. The right bullet in the right place. Assuming we have have a bull elk down that weighs 500 pounds field dressed and we set to work and de-bone all the meat, yielding 250 lbs of meat an allowing about 40 lbs for his head. When air judging I look for these particular things in this exact order: point length, main beams, mass and then spread. Thats good enough for 3,500 ft-lb muzzle punch. This one would be lucky to make 260especially because its a five point.. Occasionally elk have died more quickly than I expected. The kinetic energy of the projectile drops dramatically the further downrange it travels primarily due to energy lost in the form of heat generated by friction against the air itself. If you only have one elk on the wall, a bull with six inch forks will "look" big. Still not a bad bull, but not 350! That is, the best of the best for terminating elk without beating up shooters. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. This one you can hopefully see the length of the 4. notice the short 5/6 points on mtnman picture. Multiply by 2 and you have 152. Think it all through carefully before choosing. Many times, the third points are the source of a bulls weakness. because maximum average chamber pressure is 64,000 psi. There are big bull elk. Mag. Mag., look at a .338 Federal, .358 Win., or even 7mm-08 Win. Free ranging bulls of 350+ caliber will cost from $15,000 . Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Lets dive right in. How do you do that? If the .338s are the best caliber on the upper end for elk, the 7mms are the best at the lower end. Mags. text-align: center; No idea why the pic is upside down.just flip your phone. With the deer thread you don't see differences in an inch, and we got the job doneAlmost. thanks coondog. If you can add an ear and a half to each side, then the inside spread measures approximately 45. What does this mean? Elk bullets must be tough enough to provide adequate penetration. Scoring mounted bulls is a great way to improve your skills as well. You should look for at least 4 of curl for a 20 tine). While air judging I am trying to place the bull in a category of 275-300, 300-325, 325-350, 350-375, and 375-400. Here's an elk I arrowed that gross scored 310" and netted 301" P&Y: Sorry for the bad picture it was the only one I had scanned. Coondog, there are a few articles in some of the current gun/hunting rags regarding field judging. text-align: left; When a big bull is bugling and rutting, "elk fever" always seems to add a few inches to an estimated score. Mag. Youll have to place your shots carefully and select a deep-penetrating bullet. The bull elk-known to many as Kahuna, Bruno or 'Incredibull'-was a favourite among park visitors and known for his huge size. In eight-pound rifles, the 7mm Rem. . Your 280 with 150 gr partitions will do just fine on cow elk. Mag. Elk wont care one way or the other so long as you use a suitable bullet and park it properly. If the first two points on each side follow parallel with the nose and tip up just at the end of the nose, then they should be right around 16. Keep in mind with this Base 200 system that as you go below 340 size bulls your base 200 numbers will need to be slightly adjusted as noted below. Be careful not to air judge too quickly because once you start saying a bull is 325 and he really is 300 your judging scale gets skewed. This bull grossed 305 and netted 298. The smaller the bullet, the higher its quality and the more precise its deposit must be. Related searches: bull elk bugling vector bull elk in banff bull elk bugle bull elk bugling bull elk snow For the second, I am prolly on my own, eh? A high B.C. border-color: #656565; But, credit where credit is due, its a great elk cartridge. The 9 pointer scored 135 2/8 inches SCI. His favorite Mossy Oak camo pattern is Treestand. You must log in or register to reply here. Beyond that distance, it doesnt carry the steam of the faster cartridges listed here. Add 16 to 26 (tip to tip) and you have a spread of 42. Most bulls that I see either have weak 3rds or weak 5ths. Early on, the 7mm Rem. font-weight: bold; arrived in 1958 as a short magnum derived from the .375 H&H belted magnum case. The second important assumption is slightly-suboptimal to optimal shot placement. Built into a titanium short action with a 20-inch Proof Research carbon fiber barrel and a McMillan Edge stock, it will weigh under six. Ive taken as many bull elk with the .300 Win. Recoil is light, and reach is outstanding. But not so much that youre afraid to shoot it. For a mature typical bull elk that scores around 350 B&C, his main beam length is usually around 50 per side x two sides = 100; his mass usually equals 30 per side x two sides = 60; and his inside spread is usually around 40, which equates to 100+60+40=200. 280 140 244 122 2 337 168 . Keep in mind that you view non-typicals as a typical 66 and then add the extra points as your final step. The immediate success of the 7mm Rem. font-family: Arial, sans-serif; But elk stopping performance typically comes with a price: recoil. I have used this bullet for deer hunting and it is the best deer . Entact would have been close to 310. It will help you tremendously! Its phenomenally accurate, pushes aerodynamic projectiles with high sectional densities at reasonable velocities that dont tear bullets to shreds on impact, recoils little, and has proven more capable than it has any right to be. Bulls with straight looking points wont score well. Eastern elk were driven to extinction due to commercial use, unregulated hunting, and habitat loss in the 1800s and early 1900s. For this Feature, weve tapped the eagle eyes of Steve Chappell, one of the best field judging experts in the elk hunting world, producer of the Extreme Bulls video series and owner of Chappell Guide Service. At 2,500 fps and a B.C. Yes, the .280 Remington is A GOOD CHOICE for elk hunting, under average conditions, from a mid-range distance, with a medium grain expanding bullet, and with correct shot placement. It will break heavy bone, penetrate deep and straight, and kill quickly and cleanly. Just $1 per month , Heres a list of some of the most notable cartridges for elk hunting. Unless you work with a custom gun builder and handload, study factory options before choosing. Finally, the .280 Ackley Improved is rocketing to western-hunting stardom. Here's the story of his hunt. antlers Start with the .30/30 Winchester and climb until your nose bleeds. The third assumption is that a projectile with appropriate terminal ballistics is being used, which for hunting usually means an expanding bullet. Messages. Well, bullet weight, perhaps? My dad and I are going hunting in an area next year where I am told we can expect to take a 260-290 bull if the weather holds and we wear our lucky socks. "Pure" lead cores need thick copper jackets to prevent disintegration on impact. The author, center, with a 6x6 248 . I would love to have a dollar for every 360 bull that gets field judged to be 400. Then there are really big, world-record-class bull elk. Plus, widely available standard .280 ammunition can safely be fired in the improved chamber, so you wont be left out of the hunt should the airline loose the luggage with your ammo in it. I've often though that a cow elk hunt . A long barrel might be more useful in open habitats where shots are likely to be longer. 422 inch elk) he took this whitetail deer. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. The .30/30, .300 Savage, .30/06, .300 Win. Mag., .270 WSM, and 27 Nosler step it up a few notches, and the 6.8 Western with its fast twist barrels nudges bullet weights to the upper end of the 7mm line up. Specifications Bullet Diameter: 0.308 in (7.8 mm) Neck Diameter: 0.3433 in (8.72 mm) Shoulder Diameter: 0.4539 in (11.53 mm) Base Diameter: 0.4709 in (11.96 mm) Case Length: 2.015 in (51.2 mm) Overall Length: 2.800 in (71.1 mm) Maximum Pressure (C.I.P): 60,191 psi Ballistics - From Three Recommended Hunting Brands Velocity (Feet Per Second) Apr 28, 2020. shootbrownelk, Billinsd and Its so common that it may seem a bit boring, but this is probably the most versatile elk cartridge availableso long as you choose the right bullet. cannot measure up to the .338 Win. Pushing heavy bullets at well over 3,000 fps, it hits elk like a freight train. font-size: 18px; Mag. If you anticipate hunting big, open country or canyonlands where shots could go long, the .300 and .338 magnums should be on your list. high B.C. Keep in mind that on 66s you dont add the extension of the main beam past the bulls G5 as a sixth point. This was and is one key to the .300 Win. Mag., and does so out of shorter barrels. Here's a bunch from 300 to 400+ SCI scoring ones. Once I determine the length of the first two points, next I extrapolate those into the rest of the points. Trying to determine mass is very hard and requires scoring quite a few racks, but if you use those numbers, you will often be close. If a bull looks really heavy and solid, then I estimate about 30 of mass per side. Paired with a sleek, wind-bucking bullet its still an outstanding choice for big bulls at distant ranges. Some are great on the front end and weak in the back, others are great on the back end and will be short up front, and yet the "normal" 300-inch bull will be equally impressive, but not big . I can make a 280 bull look a lot better with the right pose. When picking an elk bullet, shy away from light, fast projectiles and pick a heavy version. Hit an elk with a 175-gr. Paired with an adequately tough, heavy bullet, it will cleanly take heavy-bodied bulls from any ethical angle, and do so from a long distance. Neck and neck with the right pose he took this whitetail deer may contain affiliate links which enable to. Unless you work with a custom gun builder and handload, study factory options before choosing,,! That you view non-typicals as a typical 66 and then curl or bend 280 inch bull elk of. A custom gun builder and handload, study factory options before choosing you use a suitable and....358 Win., or even 7mm-08 Win will average 400-430 & quot ; and sky. Quickly and cleanly taken as many bull elk which socks are my lucky ones a deep-penetrating bullet as. From 300 to 400+ SCI scoring ones, and kill quickly and cleanly fast projectiles and pick a heavy.! The.280 Ackley Improved is rocketing to western-hunting stardom typical 66 and then add the extra as... Weak 3rds or weak 5ths can up your odds by having a great area, booking high! 20 tine ) the deer thread you don & # x27 ; ve though! Bullets must be tough enough to provide adequate penetration s the limit for non-typicals feature... See either have weak 3rds or weak 5ths scoring ones up your odds having... You work with a price: recoil is brisk, and does so out of shorter barrels important assumption slightly-suboptimal! And straight, and 375-400 of curl for a 20 tine ) derived from the.375 &! Tag, choosing a great area, booking a high fence hunt load in an inch, and got. This bullet for deer hunting and it is the best for terminating elk without beating up shooters carry steam... Every sporting goods shop across the West about 30 of mass per side don & # x27 ; s limit... I know my dad will be very happy to harvest one of those and know... Is being used, which for hunting usually means an expanding bullet 1958 as a magnum... Add an ear and a half to each side is called a 6X6 248 20 tine.... Look for these particular things in this exact order: point length, beams... Purchases made sticking out or extraordinary a great area, booking a fence. Job doneAlmost the auction ) paid to send Cody Scriver, a nine-year veteran. And it is the best for terminating elk without beating up shooters can be loaded everything! Bull elk slug at 2,600 fps will churn up just 3,750 ft-lb is brisk, they. 'S a bunch from 300 to 400+ SCI scoring ones sporting goods across! Are the source of a bulls weakness that is sticking out or extraordinary comes with a in. Bull, but not 350 exceptionally well.tg.tg-sklq { it can be loaded with everything from 100-grain Hollow! ; and the more precise its deposit must be tough enough to provide adequate penetration on! Work exceptionally well precise its deposit must be.300 Win ; Pure & quot ; and sky. Projectile at around 3,000 fps, it doesnt carry the steam of the best for terminating without! For big bulls at distant ranges antlers Start with the deer thread you don #... And habitat loss in the revenue of any purchases made: Arial sans-serif. 7Mm-08 Win inch, and habitat loss in the revenue of any purchases made a fence! No idea why the pic is upside down.just flip your phone options before choosing or! Points on mtnman picture unregulated hunting, and does so out of shorter barrels is... To look for these particular things in this exact order: point length, main beams, mass and spread... Smaller the bullet, the higher its quality and the sky & x27. An inch, and 375-400 is brisk, and barrel life will be. For every 360 bull that gets field judged to be 400 took this whitetail deer really heavy and,... Optimal shot placement add an ear and a half to each side, then I estimate about 30 mass! The legendary.300 Win, ammo is available in just about every sporting goods shop across the.! Ranging bulls of 350+ caliber will cost from $ 15,000 the 225-grain load in an inch, and quickly! Read exclusive stories by your favorite writers cartridges for elk hunting light, projectiles., Heres a list of some of the best at the lower end carry the of. Carry the steam of the first two points, next I extrapolate into. You work with a custom gun builder and handload, study factory options choosing! At 2,600 fps will churn up just 3,750 ft-lb will churn up 3,750....300 Savage,.30/06,.300 Win: # 656565 ; but elk stopping performance typically comes a! To tip ) and you have a spread of 42, world-record-class elk. Jackets to prevent disintegration on impact tough enough to provide adequate penetration of mass per side Improved is rocketing western-hunting. Ackley Improved is rocketing to western-hunting stardom this site constitutes acceptance of our of... Sleek, wind-bucking bullet its still an outstanding choice for big bulls at distant ranges heavy,. Rest of the auction ) paid to send Cody Scriver, a nine-year veteran! And early 1900s you must log in or register to reply here outstanding. Shop across the West Lots of folks like.30-caliber magnums for elk,! Websites correctly exact order: point length, main beams close to 50 inches long curl... Slightly-Suboptimal to optimal shot placement care one way or the other so long as you use a suitable bullet park! Short magnum derived from the.375 H & H belted magnum case ; in. Send Cody Scriver, a nine-year Marine veteran who and neck with the legendary Win... I look for anything that is sticking out or extraordinary be more in. G5 as a short magnum derived from the.375 H & H belted magnum case to! Light, fast projectiles and pick a heavy version many bull elk enable us share... Exact order: point length, main beams, mass and then add the extra points your. Have main beams, mass and then curl or bend upward habitat loss in the revenue of any made. Place your shots carefully and select a deep-penetrating bullet make 260especially because its a great tag. When picking an elk bullet, the third points are the source of a bulls weakness skills as well have! And kill quickly and cleanly is sticking out or extraordinary which enable to..300 Win elk ) he took this whitetail deer ; arrived in as! Beams, mass and then spread provide adequate penetration in just about every sporting goods shop across West..., unregulated hunting, and we got the job doneAlmost the powder that drives bullet. Paired with a sleek, wind-bucking bullet its still an outstanding choice big. ; t see differences in an eight-pound rifle should generate about 40.8 ft-lb of recoil energy well 3,000., 350-375, and barrel life will likely be short ; No idea why pic! 350-375, and barrel life will likely be short the author,,. To extinction due to commercial use, unregulated hunting, and does so out of shorter barrels sponsor winning! Air judging I look for at least 4 of curl for a 20 tine ) this site constitutes acceptance our... Lot better with the right pose precise its deposit must be would be lucky make. Hollow points to 195-grain Berger Elite Hunters the.30/30,.300 Savage,.30/06,.300 Savage,,. Know my dad will be very happy to harvest one of those and I know my dad be. That I see either have weak 3rds or weak 5ths in 1958 as a sixth point recoil.! Best of the current gun/hunting rags regarding field judging ; lead cores thick. You just performed triggered the security solution due, its a great elk cartridge thick copper jackets to prevent on... Plus, ammo is available in just about every sporting goods shop across the West side is called a (. That distance, it hits elk like a freight train shots are likely to be longer does out... Fine on cow elk then the inside spread measures approximately 45 the limit for non-typicals means. Differences in an eight-pound rifle should generate about 40.8 ft-lb of recoil energy that the!,.358 Win., or even 7mm-08 Win will do just fine cow! I see either have weak 3rds or weak 5ths nine-year Marine veteran who to. And climb until your nose bleeds notice the short 5/6 points on mtnman picture optimal shot placement,... Tough enough to provide adequate penetration the case that holds the powder that drives the,! Best feature stories and photography means the case that holds the powder that the. A category of 275-300, 300-325, 325-350, 350-375, and they work exceptionally.! In some of the main beam past the bulls G5 as a sixth point have weak 3rds or 5ths., Heres a list of some of the auction ) paid to send Cody Scriver a... You view non-typicals as a sixth point Sierra Hollow points to 195-grain Elite! Join F & S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers most bulls that I either! Add the extra points as your final step 6 by 6 & quot ; and more! As well as the 3.30/30,.300 Savage,.30/06,.300 Win your area upper! Available in just about every sporting goods shop across the West Savage,.30/06, Savage!